A whole lotta WIP

Badaab

Ah, these are fantastic! ;) Excellent job. I love the Company Champion, yet another example of how excellent the Doghouse Marines can be. Great job with the helmet, very individualistic! The Captain is also great; an ingenious use of parts. If you don't mind me asking, where is the cloak from? It's much better than the billowing cloak you get as part of the Commander box set, that's for sure!

Also, the blue you've used for your Librarian is excellent... any chance of a tutorial? :)

Truly great stuff here!

My favorite is the Captain, it's a very nice, subtle pose but it exudes power and authority. The other conversions and paint jobs look good so far, and the Champion is an interesting model in that it combines many different armor types. I'm looking forward to more from you soon, keep at it! ^_^

Consider that Captain idea/pose etc. well and truelly pikey'd!!

Been looking at the base mini for a while and going 'I wanna do something with that, but what?!?!' now thanks to you I know what NEEDS to be done so cheers (& beers)!!

Some awesome and inspiring stuff, and I'm very impressed with it all round!!

at first please excuse me for my rusty english abilities but i'm not used to speak or write english for a long time.

at the second don't be demoralized by the fact that your thread doesn't get the attention it deserved, cause your models are really amazing!

i must say that i love your company champion. not only one or two aspect of it, no the complete model ist awesome. the idea, the paintjob, the pose and the atmosphere. simply brilliant.

my favorit part is the helmet i would be very happy to have some of these.. :)

it's the same with the captain. i love the assembling and the weathering. superb paintjob and nice model! where did you get these legs? i'm quite sure that i've seen them before but i can't remember from which model they are.

go for it, you done pretty amazing stuff so far.

-themonkey

Hey gang, let me start off by saying thanks for the interest and the kind words.

For the champion's helmet, I'll see what I can do about knocking up a tutorial on making one when I have a little more free time. Lately I've been commuting to my new store, which is about an hour south of where I currently live. This will all end as soon as I am out of my current leasing arrangement, but I arrive home in the evenings pretty exhausted, so time spent building models and painting is generally limited to days that I have completely off from work.

The captain... well, it's built using one of the models from the Masters of the Chapter box- I'm uncertain as to what each model's official title is- but its the model that is supposed to be assembled with the screaming, bionic eye head, the Sternguard-esque bolter left arm, and the little power gladius in his right hand. Here's a parts breakdown for everything besides the body (which I just mentioned):

-I didn't use the head, simply replaced it with a plastic helmeted head and sculpted some laurels onto the sides of it with greenstuff. You'll have to trim down the neck guard to get this to look right- and I recommend a rotary tool like a Dremel for this.

-The left arm is a plastic close combat arm with the hand replaced by the hand and sword from the Company Champion's left arm from the Command Squad plastic kit. There's also some sculpting on the shoulder joint to make everything fit correctly (the shoulder pad hides any mistakes quite nicely!).

-The right hand that was cut off was replaced by the bolter hand and gun from the Devastators kit upgrade sprue. I also filed off all the detailing on the right shoulder pad, as I'll be doing some sort of iconography here. Unsure as to what just yet- but personal heraldry of some sort. If I had to do this again, I'd most likely use one of the bolters from the Marneus Calgar honor guard models, since the bolter is a little more ornate looking. I could still do it, but didn't have the kit at the time of building this particular model.

-Backpack from the Commander sprue, obviously... and the left shoulder pad is just one of many you can get in any plastic SM kit.

-The base is a giant blob of greenstuff I've hacked up to look like a rock- and used the slanting surface to further emphasize the pose.

I have a couple more models in the works using the remainder of the Masters of Chapter box. While I love the basic ideas of the models, they leave a little bit to be desired from a design standpoint for characters in my opinion. Plus, everyone's models should be unique- and not the same four guys in the same bland poses with all the same weapons and heads...

Hope this is useful information,

-Joe

• 2 weeks later...
if my understandings are correct, these are marines from the aurora chapter? they are very good. i would love to see some predators to tie in the fluff theme of them having the most predators and land raiders i think.

• 2 weeks later...
As usual, your work makes me weep a little inside as it reflects how crappy I am at painting/converting. Fantastic models as usual :D

Oh quiet you. You'll have five painted armies on the table before I finish one.

@orphanfeast99: the champion's helmet is a hybrid of a plastic head and GS. I have a tutorial in the works covering this, but, as I'm moving house here in a few weeks, it may have to wait until after I am settled.

@DeffWolf; They're Aurora Chapter, alright. And, curse GW for that one little paragraph in the new Codex. Its bad enough they've lifted my scheme for pictures of models and schematics, but that bit takes the cake. I am NOT an armor person (if I were, I'd play IG), so tanks will likely be kept to a minimum. Makes no sense to me why someone would want a great big target that can be taken down in one shot versus a Devastator Squad that could take ten shots...

-Joe

great green, great blue !! ... great scheme !!! so simple, but combined with your perfect and clean painting the result is awesome !!! <_<

-

one question:

where's the champions helmet from? ... is the mouthpiece sculpted by yourself?.

pelase let me know, because this helmet looks amazing.

Archived