Codex: Grey Knights

jakehunter52

After reading up at other sites like warseer for rumors I want to give all of you a hug. On the subject of a GK codex my current fears right now are not being overpowered but surviving the three guard players at my local gamestore, One already plays armoured column. Is it bad to wake up sweating about being crushed beneath tank treads?

Another thought that I had was that maybe GK will get a new data sheet for apoc that doesn't give my models to my opponent or require that there be chaos. But if all this is a ruse which I've grown too attached to it for it to just go away in my mind, We always have the no model apoc army if you want nothing but to win a fight(the one in the game at least). GW could also just remove the chaos player gets to purge the rest of my forces with my GK, and allow it to be used against any opponent. But still at that point its really plain. Anyone else find it funny how every Grey Knight unit gets lumped into one data sheet?

If we ended up having fleet grey knights though as fast attack surely that would just encourage people to take less grey knights as troops? I think the choices as far as grey knights are fine but if they included a more ordo malleusy (is that even a word???) option then i think t hat would be much better and not completely against the fluff

Uh-oh. One person writing the codex, instead of a team. Hmm. Well, we know how the last one-man codex turned out, but other one-man codicies have been OK. Better start praying that we don't get subjected to fanboyism . . .

Just to clarify, before all this came out, before these clues, I started Deamonhunters, not a fanboy, just want a nice punch. :D

News my friends!!!

Okay, so my ever trusty source, as i've mentioned on page two, has confirmed that Dark Eldar are in the queue for update, and that there is TALK of Necrons and Daemonhunters for the future. News on the IG release is that they are just updating the book(fixing some things that conflict with 5th Ed. rules and artwork/fluff) and releasing a few new models, namely the Valkyerie and plastic sentinels, so its not a big thing like the Space Marines codex.

Dark Eldar are Definitely in the works,

And on a sadder side, I've gotten info that the very hoped for new sprues for Leman Russ tanks, like having the new sponson options actually in the boxes, may not be released... okay, so yes not confirmed but POSSIBLE.

Dont get your hopes up for a plethora of new goodies for IG. But GW, in all their glory and wisdom, by leaking hints and rumors, ACTUALLY are gauging their(OUR) responses to their ideas of updates/changes. Saves them tons of money. So..... IF you want the daemonhunters to be coming out,

cry and moan and whine and beg, send letters and make petitions for them, and you will find that GW's policy IS "give the people what they want"

In other news for you people who play both Warhammer games...

In Fantasy they are updating the Empire book.

So that raps up my report for now...

dont cry, I'll be back with juicy news that you have been dieing to hear,

Remember, if you hear about it, try to confirm it, and POST IT!

Well just to assume the troop GK's are teleported before the battle commences, and the fast attack GK's are the ones held in reserve to be called upon. Terminators arrive the same way, either before or during. So all PA/TA are accounted for in teleportation.

If they used thunderhawks more often, then there would be more rhino-style vehicles and more land raiders. The few drops made are from holes in the defense lines made from teleporting GK's taking them out. So only a few arrive.

So then for the bike/jump pack issues. Bikes fit the theme of knights. Jump packs fit the theme of being independent from major transportation (even bikes). There is another option from pods/bikes/packs/'porting... Think for a minute....

They do have... Shrouding.... Sounds familiar when you say "shrouding".. Go ahead and say it out loud while reading the universal special rules.. Infiltration comes to mind! (And thus - OUTFLANK).. Makes sense right? Forget the additional equipment. Teleport in a remote un-seen section and use shrouding to infiltrate. Cool right? I cant believe I havent read it anywhere before now. (and I'm catching up on GK reads here, bear with me)..

Infiltration/Outflank the answer? They are highly trained with psyker+marine senses and shrouding to help them get there. Its like having a sort of stealthsuit I guess...

shrouding isnt like outflanking or infiltration, it makes anyone shooting at GK's to roll 2d6x3 to find if they are visible to them, like the night fighting special rule for target selection. Now if the enemy cant see them, they dont shoot the GK's, or anyone, they are not able to select another target.

If it was like a heat shimmer then its like the ork bike dust and smoke cloud rule. Besides, mirages in the distance works similar to the way a camo-cloak works at long distance. Night fight rule and shrouding rule are set in same context. "If they are seen". That sounds like an infiltrating ability to me.

If it was like a heat shimmer then its like the ork bike dust and smoke cloud rule. Besides, mirages in the distance works similar to the way a camo-cloak works at long distance. Night fight rule and shrouding rule are set in same context. "If they are seen". That sounds like an infiltrating ability to me.

Yes, but you can still shoot at said bikerz without having to check if you see them first, they just get a cover save instead. But this is all moot in such a thread, shall we move this instead to Aidonieus's (oh god I know I misspelled that I apologize :devil: ) thread instead?

Mutt-Man! Posted Today, 02:32 AM

I've always imagined Shrouding to be the "Blinding Light, Booming Voice" commonly used in caricatures of God (a la Saul on the road to Damascus). Not a cloud of incense that moves around in front of the Grey Knights or something.

I've always thought of it as "you see them from the corner of your eye, but when you look directly they're not there". What could be original is an unmodified leadership test to see if you can see them. Maybe at -2 (-3 for CSM and Demons). It would represent how "higher minds" like Eldar psykers can focus despite the psychic ward whereas a guardsman wouldn't.

Phil

The way that the shrouding was always thought of in my head was that they are just so freaking awesome, and by awesome I mean devote and full of faith, that their very presence and awesome-a-tood interfered with vision and concentration on a spiritual psychic level.

For me a few cool revisions, like shimmering jet-bikes (which fit the look and feel of knights), and straight forward feel of determination as they cross the table would do it for me.

The way that the shrouding was always thought of in my head was that they are just so freaking awesome, and by awesome I mean devote and full of faith, that their very presence and awesome-a-tood interfered with vision and concentration on a spiritual psychic level.

It seems that most of us agree on that the Shrouding wrong-foots the enemy and their aim, but doesn't make them invisible.

Yea well if one of the universe's most powerful gestalt psychic forces all yelled in unison at you as they charged firing stormbolters, and screaming out litanies of faith and devotion to the most powerful psychic being short of a chaos god in the universe I don't think anyone would "not flinch" just a little...

Yea well if one of the universe's most powerful gestalt psychic forces all yelled in unison at you as they charged firing stormbolters, and screaming out litanies of faith and devotion to the most powerful psychic being short of a chaos god in the universe I don't think anyone would "not flinch" just a little...

The Emperor of Mankind was more powerful than a Chaos god. Don't make this mistake again or you shall find the =][= less forgiving than I am. :D

Until such time as you can purposefully define the power of the chaos gods, suffice it to say that he rivaled them, but do not assume that his strength was immeasurable, for even his Ability was hindered by his selfless devotion and caring. The chaos gods have no love, they only know their emotion, that is their strength; excess, despair, hope, rage. The Emperors ways were much like his Knights, straight devotion and utter caring, backing by his immeasurable power, but it still had its fault. He was an actor in the grand game... You cannot be a god and still fight in the war that they must watch and rule over. It was a war he wished to be a part of but in the end to achieve his final sacrifice could not be the victor of, which is why he sits upon his throne now... Whether that is his rightful place is up to the unseen to decide. My belief is that his choice was the middle ground... So now he resides in a place of power that combats the chaos gods yet still resides partially in this world. He is an equalizer now...

• 3 weeks later...
A friend that play WHFB had let me under the impression that the new Chaos Mortal book was overpowered, but that doesn't seem as bad the way you tell it!

As a Warriors of Chaos player myself I can say that I really like the new armybook, yes we should have gotten ONE skirmish unit but other than that I kinda like it. Chaos are overpowered no more and making a balanced infantry list is really a challenge (which is a shame since infantry looks awesome) but making a good tourney list with only cavalry is easy and becomes rock-hard!

It sucks that the removed "opponents consent" for special characters (nowadays: "named characters") because frankly all special characters are overpowered (or underpowered but no one uses those). The magic lores are fantastic, especially nurgle, but the No:1 spell on the slaanesh list is almost too good, love it!

I'm just glad they didn't make us as sick as they made Daemons of Chaos (who btw SHOULD be the next armybook to be re-released since they need to greatly decrease their power, daemon are winning all tournaments and of the top 10, at least 5 are daemons, it blows...) If you want an army that looks good, never loses and makes for boring uninteresting games and tournaments, daemons is for you. If you however want an army that looks good and is a challenge to play then Warriors is the clear choice.

Now! Enough fantasy rabble!

I am psyked about the new GK codex and I'm currently buying loads of metal models as I really am afraid of plastic, they might make them a lot worse. It's also kinda neat to have an army of metal models (just like back in the day with the SoC daemons I played in fantasy). I love the GK models and will most likely only play the current ones even if they get newer plastics.

I don't think we're looking at a new codex until late 2010 though.

Cheers!

Btw, having been away from 40k for awhile could someone PM me the LR redeemer issue, what is that? Other than a FW model? I see people putting them in their lists but where are the rules for them? Send me a PM if you feel like aiding my confused mind.

Archived