UltraMarines + Black Templars = Friendship

Hi guys,

I have a big project that I'm about to start. My friend's birthday is in 2 weeks. He plays Ultra Marines while I play BT.

I want to make something special for him. My idea is to have a BT marine and an UM marine shwing friendship to eachother. I don't know how you say that in English, as I'm not a native speaker, but I'd like them to hold each other by the shoulders.

Have a look at those pics to get the idea

NOTE : pics are randomly taken from the Net, i don't know the people and the cats pictured !

Guys

Cats

I guess you get the idea.

Challenges are : shaping the arms so that the pose is realistic in some way, managing to paint UM properly (get UM blue, quickly),

Deadline in 2 weeks.

I'll probably have to use this technic to get the arms in position. Never tried it.

And this one also to have convincing hands.

I'll post pics tomorrow.

I'm buying some more paints tomorrow. What colour should I get to highlight Ultarmarines blue ?

Any help, suggestion, comment is welcome !

If I were going to work on this, I might start with a handshake instead. Maybe a warrior's handshake where the two men grasp each other's right arm just below the elbow.

Or a high-five. The two could high-five over the corpse of a dead Warboss.

Just some ideas.

High five is not that common where I live, this is more american I think.

Warrior's handshake could work, I'll try to pose them like this, just to see if I like it.

Making out ? <_< No thanks, friendship has its limits even in France ! ;)

My idea is to have a BT marine and an UM marine shwing friendship to eachother.

Marines sometimes exchange wargear and add personal heraldry to show relationship.

maybe let the BT have a roman crest?

++EDIT++

Removed board inappropriate imagery.

How about an Attack bike or Land speeder? No conversion needed, just painting?

If you want to be cheeky, have you seen the new injured marines? BT defending injured UM?

Biker arms are straight, so easier to mod, about a roadside handshake between biker and standing guy?

I love this idea, PLEEEEAASE post the picture.

My son plays Necrons. Now I have to figure out how to model a marine hugging a toaster.

The exchange of wargear idea gets me thinking about other gifts.

What about a Templar kneeling and cutting the scalp off of an ork and handing it to an Ultramarine? Kind of gruesome but I like the idea of exchanging battle trophies.

Maybe just handing over a boss pole or orky weapon?

How about you have the UM skipping and picking flowers, he is obviously a vanguard and sternguard veteran, carries a rune blade and a storm shield, and on his banner have the words "I'm a GW pet"

Give the BT face palming with standard gear and a banner that says "I rep. all non C:SM, SM armies."

I can't find the brotherly love, but I can't imagine a UM ever wanting to befriend or help anybody else out.

just for a little constructive criticism. You could have the Um wounded on the ground. A BT kneeling over him screaming for a medic. both are firing like crazy! oh, and make sure the UM is injured!! :D

How about you have the UM skipping and picking flowers, he is obviously a vanguard and sternguard veteran, carries a rune blade and a storm shield, and on his banner have the words "I'm a GW pet"

Give the BT face palming with standard gear and a banner that says "I rep. all non C:SM, SM armies."

I can't find the brotherly love, but I can't imagine a UM ever wanting to befriend or help anybody else out.

just for a little constructive criticism. You could have the Um wounded on the ground. A BT kneeling over him screaming for a medic. both are firing like crazy! oh, and make sure the UM is injured!! :D

I don't care who you are...that's funny right there.

I'd probably stick with the handshake, though.

This made me think pretty well, and given I'm a bit of an Alkie, How about the two space marines walking with a beer in their hands. you can have one pulling back the other slightly (just take a bolter left hand and turn it upside down and extent out) and have the other lean back like getting pulled. then fashion a mug in for each SM. nothing says friendship like two guys getting toasted!

Many thanks, guys, for your replies.

It's funny to see the obvious cultural differences when it comes to showing friendship !

I don't want to make anything obviously cheeky this time because there's already something similar in my mind, waiting to materialize but now is not the right occasion : A neophyte standing over a dead UM lying on the ground, with a chainsword plunged into the UM's chest ! *Humiliation* The scene taking place in a pool of blood much like this one : wonderful scene (IMO) by Dominus Ex Machina

I don't have much time to complete my project so I can't spend long making a nice diorama or building cool but complex details. I'll focus on their stance. Though the battle trophy idea is great, I have nothing except for marines part in my bitz box, and I don't want to represent a scene of allegiance. I say no to cheekiness, and to obedience too !

The idea of marines standing back to back is cool, but I'd have to invest in a box xenos of some sort to have the marines surrounded by ennemies, if you picture it the same way as I do...

Here a 3 poses, please tell me which one you prefer and why. I may not follow the general opinion, I'm more interested in the reasons why you prefer a particular pose ! The black-primed guy will be my BT. The main differences are in the arms/hands positionning !

Pose 1

gallery_26197_1980_63785.jpg

gallery_26197_1980_8987.jpg

Pose 2

gallery_26197_1980_86693.jpg

gallery_26197_1980_33472.jpg

Pose 3

gallery_26197_1980_5309.jpg

gallery_26197_1980_28913.jpg

gallery_26197_1980_38300.jpg

gallery_26197_1980_6098.jpg

I don't think that pose 3 is what you're looking for. The way they're holding one another back almost implies that they're trying to protect each other or in competition to kill the most. It's not a bad stance, but I don't think that's what you wanted.

Of poses 1 and 2, pose 1 appears the most like they are "arm in arm." Pose 2 has the arms locked in kind of an odd way. Not my favorite.

Good luck.

I don't think that pose 3 is what you're looking for. The way they're holding one another back almost implies that they're trying to protect each other or in competition to kill the most. It's not a bad stance, but I don't think that's what you wanted.

Of poses 1 and 2, pose 1 appears the most like they are "arm in arm." Pose 2 has the arms locked in kind of an odd way. Not my favorite.

Good luck.

agreed. when it comes to the weapon arms to may want to have them at ease, otherwise it may look like an imcomplete diorama. but definitely pose one, suggested at ease. kinda like two guys that haven't seen each other in a while walking away from killing off many things. best of luck!

I think if you turned the templars head so it was facing the ultra, you could make it look like something is coming at him from behind and the templar is trying to push him away so he can swing at oncomming enemy. That way the arms would be fine the way they are.

Watch me cringe from the horrible images my mind plagues upon me :)

Pose 1: looks like they're watching something in the sky ;)

Pose 2: best out of the three, but maybe but the hands onto the shoulderpads to stop anything weird :)

Pose 3 = no. It looks wrong somehow... in a non-SM-manly way...

I'd skip the whole touching each other deal. I know what you're aiming for, but it won't look right with the limited posing the sculpts allow.

You might try having one Marine kneeling, firing a bolter or bolt pistol, and the other standing, firing over his shoulder. Both aiming at the same target.

Archived