++Codex: Fire, Steel and Zeal++

You didn't give Chaplains the ability to have a Jump Pack! You even posted it with a picture of a Chaplain with a Jump Pack! I use that exact model. I would be upset if I could no longer put my Reclusiarch with an Assault Squad. Please update this.

You didn't give Chaplains the ability to have a Jump Pack! You even posted it with a picture of a Chaplain with a Jump Pack! I use that exact model. I would be upset if I could no longer put my Reclusiarch with an Assault Squad. Please update this.

I'm fairly certain the ability is there. The options say "As per Codex: Space Marines", in which a jump pack is an option, IIRC. I don't have my copy of C:SM on hand to doublecheck but I'll find it before the end of the night. Any other comments on the codex?

• 2 weeks later...
is the most recent .PDF posted on here the "current" one, or are you guys working on a new revision? I'd like to try out these rules, but not until everything is fixed

I'm currently working on a second revision for the codex. There's not that many changes from the most recent PDF. Off the top of my head: bike Sword Brethren moved to Fast Attack as a separate unit, 'Kill Them All' rule removed, Helbrecht's special rule changed, Nikademus tweaked, AAC vow clarified more.

is the most recent .PDF posted on here the "current" one, or are you guys working on a new revision? I'd like to try out these rules, but not until everything is fixed

I'm currently working on a second revision for the codex. There's not that many changes from the most recent PDF. Off the top of my head: bike Sword Brethren moved to Fast Attack as a separate unit, 'Kill Them All' rule removed, Helbrecht's special rule changed, Nikademus tweaked, AAC vow clarified more.

If you get a chance, mind PM'img the tweaked version to me? Or will you just post it here on completion?

Greeting,

After reading through this dex and using it on a few games, I really enjoy the changes that have been made. I dont feel so left out with the new sm dex and seeing all the cool new things they have listed.

my question is, how legal is this dex. Obviously asking the group playing if its ok, but what about tournament style games or playing in, for instance, a game store where there may be alot of new people that i'll be up against.

Sorry if i missed it if this question has been asked already. Otherwise, i love the changes.

Aub

Greeting,

After reading through this dex and using it on a few games, I really enjoy the changes that have been made. I dont feel so left out with the new sm dex and seeing all the cool new things they have listed.

my question is, how legal is this dex. Obviously asking the group playing if its ok, but what about tournament style games or playing in, for instance, a game store where there may be alot of new people that i'll be up against.

Sorry if i missed it if this question has been asked already. Otherwise, i love the changes.

Aub

G'day Aubrie, welcome to the B&C.

Unfortunately, this dex is 100% unofficial. Tournaments won't accept it, unless it's a in-store affair and the organizer approves it. For a game store, it would probably be a good idea to bring a printed copy of C:F,S&Z along and show people who are looking for a game. I'd suggest having a backup list from the current BT codex to fall back on if you can't find any opponents who will agree to play using it.

If I could ask, how did your games go? What type of list did you use? I haven't got really any playtesting so any info would be greatly appreciated :P

If you get a chance, mind PM'img the tweaked version to me? Or will you just post it here on completion?

The tweaked version should be up by tonight.

Sig

so far i've completely wrecked my opponents. The extra shootiness that I can take now and tank options is amazing. The new Zeal makes it so i can get up close and personal super fast. Yet i dont feel overpowered. The nerf's to some of my favorite BT tactics and units hurts some times (ie chaplains and 3+ sv andthe extra melta bombs for my assault marines) but otherwise it has been MUCH more balanced.

Although this evening we played and I was torn to shreds by a tyranid players gene stealers. I lost 25+ models in just his assault phase and was completely removed from the team based game by round 2.

Tonight I used

1 EC

1Chaplain with jump pack

10 assault marines 2 with storm shields and 2 plasma guns

10 tactica's one with las and 1 with flamer

10 neo's attached to the tacticals

1 LRC

This is a common build, but i adjust tacticals neos and lrc based on points, and usually do really well. Tonight being the exception ><

all in all though, its been great

Aub

Updated!

-Helbrecht's special rule completely changed to now benefiting Sword Brethren.

- Nikademus now also gives +1 to Reserve Rolls, has digital weapons.

-Sword Brethren on Bikes is now a separate unit in Fast Attack

-AAC vow clarified, hopefully the wording is clear.

-Zeal fixed up, bad wording on my part

-Kill Them All special rule removed completely

Aub: sounds like a compact list you're running there. None of the new toys interest you? :P How'd your opponents view the list? Sounds like you were just undone by some good old 'stealer rush there.

none of the characters have the holy orb and the e.c has lost his +4 invulnerable save? i thought that the test codex would of atleast been given that.

thanks

antique_nova

The Crusade Squad upgrade character has a holy orb. In the end, I already had concepts for special characters and for most of them, adding a Holy Orb would raise their cost for little effect. And the Emperor's Champion does have a 4+ inv save, as he possesses an Iron Halo.

My opponents hate this dex, as they scream OP but they did the exact same thing with the 4th ed dex anyways so its nothing new hehe. I'm eager to try out the new LRC and throw in a named character for sure. Any thoughts on adding Thunderfire into the dex at all? that thing is amazing it seems!

Otherwise we found out that the Tyranid player had 'miss-read' his dex by a long shot, started out 12in away from me and charged the first turn, and for some reason no one caught what he was doing. Illegally equipped them, added a broodlord who does NOT have infiltrate, and just ran with it. Terrible game we were all acting noobish and like i said NO ONE caught it... ughhh oh well, next time he will be shot to hell or hopefully be on my team ;)

But ya If the thunderfire could possibly be added i'll be completely in love with the dex more so than i already am

Aub

OK, I've play tested this bad boy four times now. One game at 1000 points one at 1500, 1750, and finally 2000 points. The lists play well, and keep the Templar feel very well. I only have one suggestion and one point that needs clearing up.

I may have just missed it, but are Templars still fearless in close combat? I did not see this in any of the rules you listed, but again I may have been at falt and just missed it. I played my games with fearless in assualt.

My one suggestion is for assualt marines. You have it as being the same as in C:SM with no sgt, and different options, however the point cost is the same. As we are not getting a sgt with a base of 2 attacks I feel that the first five marines should cost 90 points and not 100.

Over all great work. The list is not over powered, feels like the Templars, and is just plain fun. If this is what GW comes up with for our next codex I would be very happy indeed.

Congradulations to all invalved with this.

Thraxius: All the current links to PDFs and Word Documents seem to lead to broken files. If you PM me your email, I'll send you a Word copy I have that's good to print.

Aub: Bad luck on the 'nid player. I didn't include the Thunderfire because it's mentioned in the fluff as a Whirlwind substitute and we don't have Whirlwinds in our TT armies (something I decided to follow). If you really want a Thunderfire, feel free to add one to your version of the 'dex.

Focke: Thanks mate. Templars are still fearless in assault, I somehow seemed to have missed the No Pity, No Remorse, No Fear special rule. I'll fix that up. I've noticed the Assault Squad as well, I'm still trying to figure out a way of fixing them that doesn't trample too much on GW's IP.

AWSOME!! i LOVE, ALL the models dreagdnaught stands out definatly but to be honest my favourite is the chaplain. where did u get his crozius and storm shield, im thinking of converting mine to something similar.

points wise i rekon the terminators are a bit off, lightning claws or thunder hammers and storm shiels for free? thats just SICK. but otherwise i love it!!!

Are Iron Halos still limited to 1 per army? If so there are a couple too many HQ's listed with them as standard...th EC, marshall, etc. And I'm not sure about giving a relic blade to a biker to my understandin this is a 2 handed blade. If I am mistaken or repeating something already said please ignore and forgive haven't spent a whole lot of time with C:SM.

If Iron Halos were still 1/army, would the list creator have included them on so many heroes? The wargear list is gone altogether.

2 handed and 1 handed are outdated classifications that have no use in close combat weapons.

AWSOME!! i LOVE, ALL the models dreagdnaught stands out definatly but to be honest my favourite is the chaplain. where did u get his crozius and storm shield, im thinking of converting mine to something similar.

Thanks mate. You'd have to ask Ap0k, the creator of the model, about the materials used.

points wise i rekon the terminators are a bit off, lightning claws or thunder hammers and storm shiels for free? thats just SICK. but otherwise i love it!!!

As per C:SM. The benefits of being updated :)

Are Iron Halos still limited to 1 per army? If so there are a couple too many HQ's listed with them as standard...th EC, marshall, etc. And I'm not sure about giving a relic blade to a biker to my understandin this is a 2 handed blade. If I am mistaken or repeating something already said please ignore and forgive haven't spent a whole lot of time with C:SM.

There is no restriction on Iron Halos in the new SM 'dex and C:F,S&Z doesn't carry that over from the old BT 'dex. As for the Relic Blade being two handed, that's just part of the fluff. It has no bearing on the rules, apart from not being able to gain another attack from 2 CC weapons. Just imagine the Relic Blade on the bike being modeled as a power lance, as per the picture :)

Test codex in Word doc format can be downloaded by clicking this (thanks to Paintner for the hosting).

Archived