Abaddon

Abbadon gets two chances to use his daemon weapon per game turn, land raiders getting stunned is useless for a whole game turn. Adding possession is lowering BS, and pretty much saying its not gonna kill anything because thats a transport upgrade normally.

Abbadon's potential 10 str8 attacks is as much as 3 terminators charging and striking at initiative 5 with their powerfists. Thats as good as it can get in melee, unless you use C'Tan or chaos daemons greater daemons (that cost 300-ish to compare to abbadon)

Abbadon only gets 2 chances to use it if he's in close combat. Have fun getting him there.

Extra armor is the "transport upgrade" daemonic possession is the shooty one. It lets you shoot, EA doesn't. The lowered BS isn't a big deal since all your weapons are twin linked.

Why are we comparing a landraider to abbadon? Apples and oranges anyone?

why would you have trouble getting abaddon into HtH?

Because he's on foot ??

And most opponents will know that he's a real killer in HTH

well the same can be said of loyalist HQ choices not too mention many others, many a loyalist list has lysander in it put he's still popular. tbh saying he's on foot means he will never see combat is a joke, it just takes more thought when using him in your list.

opponents do know he's a hand full but that's a double jeopardy, screen him with something and you can prevent your opponent from operating in a certain part of the board and can cause them to bottleneck and/or expose them to the firing lanes of the rest of your army or as often happens peoples ego's get in the way and they throw large parts of there army towards him. so even if he doesn't get into HtH he can still have an effect on the greater outcome of your game.

trust me i use him fairly often when i play larger points cost games and he can be very effective if you use your brain a bit, try to get away from the train of thought i see often now......

"in order for a unit to be considered effective it must earn it's points back in kills"

it's just not true :huh:

Yeah, with Abby, you should be using a 4 person squad of terminators w/ lr as a dedicated transport. That way you solve the foot slogging problem, and you got others to take hits for him.

He shouldn't be put with terminators except for fluff reasons. Since they are not fearless they will cause him to get swept/

Normally you field Abaddon for fluff reasons, and for fluff's sake, he is expected to be accompanied by a sufficient retinue. Got it? ;)

A mighty warmaster of chaos isn't expected to run from a fight like a chicken, though it is possible, you should not think of such things :P

For real, lonely abby isn't all that fearsome sight.

why would you have trouble getting abaddon into HtH?

Because he's on foot ??

And most opponents will know that he's a real killer in HTH

well the same can be said of loyalist HQ choices not too mention many others, many a loyalist list has lysander in it put he's still popular. tbh saying he's on foot means he will never see combat is a joke, it just takes more thought when using him in your list.

opponents do know he's a hand full but that's a double jeopardy, screen him with something and you can prevent your opponent from operating in a certain part of the board and can cause them to bottleneck and/or expose them to the firing lanes of the rest of your army or as often happens peoples ego's get in the way and they throw large parts of there army towards him. so even if he doesn't get into HtH he can still have an effect on the greater outcome of your game.

trust me i use him fairly often when i play larger points cost games and he can be very effective if you use your brain a bit, try to get away from the train of thought i see often now......

"in order for a unit to be considered effective it must earn it's points back in kills"

it's just not true ^_^

In my own experience a unit MUST be able to kill more than it's points worth saying "it's just not true" is just rubbish. The big problem with Abby is he is on foot unless you BUY a LR and then BOOM you have blown a third of your army points on one dude and a tank and if that tank gets toasted then thats a frikking long walk for Abby to do anything uselfull.

Abby is cool character but at 275 points he is just to much at least an IC like Vulcan give's huge bonuses to the whole army and there not just a one trick pony like Abby. I would sooner pay 50ish points more and you can have two Deamon princes with wings, mark of Tzench useing warptime then wind of chaos so re rolling any 4+ to wound and kill with no armour saves before the charge they will kill much more than Abby ever could useing this trick. I kill entire Marine squads with this neat little trick:).

I think there is some myth that Abby scares the pants of anyone and he is invincible, my Imperial fist faced Chaos last week and my master of the forge opened up the LR like a can of beans with his conversion beamer and Abby and his retinue got wasted by land speeders at a distance the rest of his army could not do squat because there was not enough of it after blowing 700+ points on Abby his retinue and a LR. If I had been faceing duel Princes I would of been realy scared.

Anyway long story short Abby sucks for points run 2 princes for same cost:).

considering that 1k pts games are totally unbalanced in the 5th , you just called everyone that doesnt play aop games exclusivlly a power gamer . Nice man really nice.

as abadon goes in "power gamer" games. he is slow , his units is from 1/2 to 1/3 pts of whole army[him+transport+bodyguard]. for that we get 1 unit that can charge out of a LR and kill stuff. Funny thing we can get the same thing with a normal lord , and unlike abadon the lord doesnt break up the list[just check it its impossible to make a working LR rush build with abadon unless you take 2/3 troops and no extras]. And if there are units that need you to charge with abadon , well then its probablly not a very good idea to charge that unit anyway. But puting the slow/costlly thing aside , it doesnt matter much if he has tons of str 8 , he is still one model . for the same pts one almost gets two other HQs and those can be in two places and even if one gets unlucky[hey even abadon can roll a 1 for his demon weapon] 2HQs are less prone to suffer from bad luck.

As "normal" games goes .Apo is ruled by flyers , tyranids bio morfs , more flyers and combo build that let you win turn 2 , sometimes 1 [turn 1 is impossible against some of the flyer builds]. a single model that goes puff from D class weapons , isnt much .

i thought he has mastered his daemon weapon an doesnt suffer that

Last codex, when it was a leadership test, he did have a special rule for that, yes. This codex, his demon weapon works (or fails to) like any other in terms of how many attacks he gets / what damage he takes.

Yeah, with Abby, you should be using a 4 person squad of terminators w/ lr as a dedicated transport. That way you solve the foot slogging problem, and you got others to take hits for him.

He shouldn't be put with terminators except for fluff reasons. Since they are not fearless they will cause him to get swept/

A unit joined by a fearless character is fearless.

A unit joined by a fearless character is fearless.

No, its not. A non-fearless character joining a fearless unit becomes fearless. A fearless character joining a non-fearless unit becomes non-fearless. (with an exception for space marine chaplains who specifically say they make the unit fearless)

In my own experience a unit MUST be able to kill more than it's points worth saying "it's just not true" is just rubbish.

I have to agree with Cornelias here Artangel. I'm not talking about Abby specificly, but in general terms. If something you take totally disruptes the oponents game plan and puts the game in your control it is worth X pts (X being an unknown # that varies according to circumstance, game size, and to what degree it puts control of the game in your hands). If you don't understand that you are not thinking tacticly.

By you theory, lash is worth no points b/c lash can KILL nothing, when in fact lash is so effective that it's considered broken, cheezy, over powered, what ever, by many.

Archived