Dark Legionaire

Trooper Friday? How dare you wear the RT name and speak that title! There is only the original Souther GI: Rogue Trooper! :tu:

Any plans on a banner yet? I hate to bug you to try something out if you've not already planned it, but you have to rough the banner up to hell and back; burn marks and tatty edges. If I remember rightly the LotD were originally the Fire Hawks... might be something to incorporate into the banner itself? Just a thought mate.

And as much as I hate to admit it, I'm blatantly going to try and do my own LotD now, this test model is pretty inspiring of what can be achieved.

I put this guy on the shelf for the past couple of days, but i'm ready to finish him now, i found an old LotD banner in my copy of codex: Ultramarines which i was thinking of doing freehand.

I know the Legion has the fire hawk link but i prefer to think of them simply as ghost/undead marines with a more mysterious background, This test was for a possible new army but i think that too many LotD on a battlefield could reduced the impact of them visually. So they will be an ally squad for a marine force that i plan to build (as yet unknown).

More pics will come soon ;)

Thanks.

That is one nice marine you got there. Wonderful free hand work and an excellent pick for the head.

As for the Fire Hawk thing, I think you don't quite get the reason why the Legion of the Damned even exists.

There is a reason why the chapter was called the 'Fire Hawks' and the symbol of the Legion of the Damned is flames and bones. It is all based around the legend of the phoenix. Once lost, they rise from the dead in fire. It is also said that the phoenix could heal a person of any wound, and even from death, with a tear from its eyes. And these two aspects of the phoenix are represented with the Legion of the Damned by the fact that the chapter is slowly dying, but rose from the ashes of their misfortune in their quest to not die without a purpose, becoming fiery angels of death, unstoppable in their war against the enemies of the Imperium. They aid the Emperor's armies as a result of their curse, which is how this links to the tears thing. They save the bravest warriors during their last stand from death itself, a token of the Legion of the Damned's fate. I feel that disregarding the Fire Hawks as part of their history, is to disregard what makes the Legion of the Damned the Legion of the Damned. The symbolism behind them is what makes them so special and unique as a 'chapter'.

Can't argue with that logic.

Prepare to have your mind blown! :)

I feel that disregarding the Fire Hawks as part of their history, is to disregard what makes the Legion of the Damned the Legion of the Damned. The symbolism behind them is what makes them so special and unique as a 'chapter'.

I disagree. There is no proof that the fire hawks are the Legion of the Damned. This is just the most popular theory. In my opinion, this is what makes the LOTD so great. They have been left as an unsolved mystery. This opens up a lot of possibilities for us hobbyists. My personal take on the Legion is that they are made up of astartes who are devoted to the emperor but have died in betrayal some how. Their devotion is so strong that they fight on through death. This idea in represented in my army, which I'll have to explain in my blog about them someday.

Trygon, I'm not ragging on your idea, I actually think its is really well thought out. I just want to point out that no ones knows the legions origin so any idea could potentially be accurate.

Actually Legion of the Damned being the Fire Hawk chapter is canon. It was stated as such in White Dwarf 99, Index Astartes: Legion of the Damned and Index Astartes II. Also let it be known that it was White Dwarf 99 in which Rick Priestley introduced Legion of the Damned into Warhammer 40k for the first time. The original article for the Legion of the Damned is available here: http://www.gamehobby.net/subject_indexes/s...rines_lotd.html

Since the new Space Marine Codex does not rule out the Fire Hawks as the Legion of the Damned and is refering to them from a strictly Imperial view point (as in by what the Imperium knows on the Legion of the Damned), the article still stands as 100% canon.

Archived