Death Heads

Donkey Kong

For your question on the Apothecaries sitting in the rear with the gear or in the thick of it... take a look at how Combat Medics do their job, especially the Infantry Medic. Me being one, I can tell you that it is uncommon for a medic to not be in the thick of it... after all, we are soldiers first, medics second. I think it makes sense for the Apothecaries to be in the thick of it.

As for the Dreadnoughts, it is up to you, but from what I am gathering so far, it seems that becoming a Dreadnought would be more of a punishment than a reward. But that is up to you.

For your question on the Apothecaries sitting in the rear with the gear or in the thick of it... take a look at how Combat Medics do their job, especially the Infantry Medic. Me being one, I can tell you that it is uncommon for a medic to not be in the thick of it... after all, we are soldiers first, medics second. I think it makes sense for the Apothecaries to be in the thick of it.

As for the Dreadnoughts, it is up to you, but from what I am gathering so far, it seems that becoming a Dreadnought would be more of a punishment than a reward. But that is up to you.

Sounds good on the Apothecaries. Dreadnoughts still fit "We shall never die!" better for me though, than punishment.

Here's a rough bit on the Chapter Organization. I still need to add Librarians, Chaplains and Techmarines. But the outlining for them is simple: Librarians are tools, recorders of achievements, beacons, messengers, warriors and seers. Librarians are consulted before battles to foretell the outcome and whether or not a battle should be fought at all. However, they are not trusted to lead forces. Like a Land Raider does not command, they are an instrument of the Chapter, not a leader. They're still respected by the marines.

Chaplains are the Chapter's enforcers. They lead the strike forces and keep the marines in line. They watch over honor duels and motivate the Chapter before strikes are made. Chaplains watch over the Librarians and Techmarines, making sure they remain pure and faithful to the Emperor.

Techmarines, like Librarians, are tools. They're not trusted to lead combat due to their faith in the Machine God as opposed to the Emperor. However, they are necessary and respected for what they do.

Unlike a majority of Chapters, the Death Heads loosely follow Codex Astartes in their organization, and in some cases completely ignore it. The Chapter has ten companies under the command of the Chapter Master, each with it's own command structure. Each company is lead by a Captain, who also holds the title Shipmaster as commander of the Company's battle barge. The Death Heads First Company its veteran company. The First draws recruits from the Chapter's active companies, however it rarely operates alone. Instead, the First Company's marines are distributed amongst the Active Companies, in most cases, to their Company of origin. Unlike Codex Chapters, the Death Heads lack Reserve Companies, instead every Company, from the second to the last, possesses the Codex standard of six tactical squads, two assault squads, and two devastator squads.

The Death Heads lack a Scout Company, and due to their own violent nature, no Marine, neophyte or veteran, is ever sent into combat in carapace armor. The Chapter's neophytes are trained by a Chapter Veteran, known as the Master of Recruits, on their homeworld. They undergo training from the day they are brought to the Chapter, till their black carapace has developed and they are deemed fit for the battlefield by their training Master. It is the Master of Recruits' duty to instill defiance and pride in the hopefuls, often breaking them both physically and mentally. When boys are inducted, the Master of Recruits taunts and ridicules them, forcing them to prove him wrong and become more than they are, to become Death Heads. When Companies need reinforcement, they return to the homeworld and draw recruits from those ready to fight on the battlefield. Unlike Codex advancement, the Death Heads have a modified version. Neophytes begin their battlefield role in close combat squads, clad in power armor and lead by a Company veteran. When they have proven themselves, they are fully inducted into the Chapter and join assault squads. In these squads, the marines learn how to operate jump packs as well as vehicles. Marines then advance to devastator squads where they provide fire support for their battle brothers and achieve greater skills in marksmanship. Finally, marines join tactical squads, the backbone of the Chapter, they demonstrate both their close combat and ranged abilities. Every squad is led by a Company veteran, often one who qualifies for the First Company, or is even part of it.

Death Heads Apothecaries are warriors unto themselves. The Apothecaries serve alongside their battle brothers, usually even charging into combat, fighting with the same fervor and ferocity as their brother marines.

Still, homeworld name suggestions? Captain name suggestions? Suggestions in general?

Thanks,

KHK

How do kinghongkong,

Been a while since i perused your IA. I gotta say its greatly improved since the last time I read it.

There are still one or two things that seem to be...lacking, Iv just skimmed some of the replies so sorry if they have all ready been pointed out.

First thing is, in the origins there seems to be no mention as to why the chapter was formed. I know they have dealings within the ghoul stars later on in the article but its not clear if this is the original purpose for being, or just where they happen to hang out.

I really like the introduction of the superstitions, helps add to the theme greatly. A question though, how would this impact on dealings ith other chapters? If blue is unlucky, to a point that the vie thier own libby's with suspision, how do they view the g dub poster boys...the ulta-super-awesome-marines?

Just curious is all...dont think you need to include any reference to it.

There was somthing else I wanna bring up, but its late and iv forgotten.

Hey Bad Monkey,

First thing is, in the origins there seems to be no mention as to why the chapter was formed.

Hmmm, you're right. Perhaps Orks stirring up in the Ghoul Stars would be fitting. Maybe I could move the world in between the Maelstrom and the Ghoul Stars and say they were there to be a quick response to both? Or even just to fight Chaos and then they realize the Orks are stirring up and decide to go after them as well.

If blue is unlucky, to a point that the vie thier own libby's with suspision, how do they view the g dub poster boys...the ulta-super-awesome-marines?

The Librarians aren't viewed with suspicion because of the color blue, though that's part of it. It's mostly because the Librarians are tools. Where the Silver Skulls used them as leaders, the Skulls use them as seers who predict good and bad battles. They're the Chapter's tools and recorders, who are respected, but don't get leadership. Also, I think if I include the Maelstrom, there could be the greater suspicion of Chaos corruption.

As for the Ultras. They're blue, so luck can't be on their side. Look at Macragge, Death Heads saw that coming a mile away, same thing with the Crimson Fists ;) /sarcasm + tongue and cheek. Though, I think it'd be more or less a fear that the blue marines wouldn't get out well, and maybe their bad luck would mess up the Death Heads as well.

In other edits: I'm thinking of moving the Homeworld, as was said above. Also, I thought of renaming it Klysium, basically another Greek word for "underworld" that I never heard of and found very interesting. It'll still be the same world, I'm just going to remove the floating islands and the extreme Mechanicus influence. The marines are going to be as pious as they are, so I'm still debating how they'll view Tech marines. Without the Mechanicus, I'm thinking them going more towards Relic Collectors. Same jab about honor duels and what not, but the Techmarines still refurbish everything so there has to be a degree of respect for them. They'll have less Terminator armor, though the ships will still stay at their number. Also, I'm thinking a greater: every weapon and plate of armor is art view to tie in the former beauty of the world with the cities on the sides of mountains and what not.

Thanks for the reply,

-KHK

Also, I think if I include the Maelstrom, there could be the greater suspicion of Chaos corruption.

I reckon you could really get alot of milage out of this angle.

I'm thinking them going more towards Relic Collectors

Again, im liking this idea...would be interested on how you develope it.

They'll have less Terminator armor

Good Boy.

Incidently, if you decide against movig to the maelstorm and settle on the ghoul stars to hold bac the green menace, how would you feel about a slight cross over with the thunder cats, and possibly some of the others that seem to be flacking to the goul stars...similar to the lot that protect the eye of terror...cant remember what they are called.

This is just a suggestion, and if you dont like it thats cool...but it would make sense that chapters assinged to proctet the same area of space ould have some form of contact.

Anyways,

Its work o'clock

Catch you after

BAd Monkey

I like Bad Monkey's idea above me with his idea of a crossover/cameo you can have with other chapter's formed around the maelstrom in the B&C. (my chapter's not based around there, so I can't join you guys though :() It would help to integrate your chapter into the 40k universe better, and give realism, instead of the rather insular, segregated situation we have right now where everyone seems to be doing their own thing in the big wide galaxy...

Nice pirate theme though- never would have thought of it myself! :o

How do,

I wouldn't suggest anything more than a passing reference, and only if he decides to have some movement near the goul stars.

If so KingHongKong feel free to pm me so that this dosnt highjack your whole ia topic.

Anyways,

CHeers

Bad Monkey

I think settling on the Ghoul Stars would be a fine idea. Besides, Librarians can suffer from perils of the warp anywhere, so having a couple corrupt will add to the distrust of Librarians in positions of leadership.

PM me, Bad Monkey, and we can discuss some ideas linking our Chapters. Perhaps a campaign?

Relic collectors idea, I honestly have no idea on how to expand on it other than they take everything they want from the Orks. Some going as far to rip out an Ork's jaws while other play catch with Boss and Nob heads.

I'm thinking of adding some fluff on The Trial of Nausicaa, remember how Thussaud was let free by Fourth Company Captain Filo Howl? This is his trial, basically he's tried before the First Company and a few Captains on the Nausicaa, a Battle Barge under his command due to his place as Master of the Fleet. Howl is accused of being a traitor for helping a mutant and losing a Chapter strike cruiser, and Howl is inevitably killed.

The first idea with this is that he is killed by the Chapter's Chaplains. The other is that he is let free (reluctantly mind you), and is assassinated on the field by a pair of Honor Guard.

Still, with the armor, I didn't get any comment on "Power Armor is art" view. Also, with the terror markings, I think having a variation, some going with the standard skull and other helmets being crafted to be more beastly and have mock jaws would be interesting. Something like the Blood Pact masks crossed with the Power armor helmets.

Also, what do you think the view on the Mechanicus should be, average chapter view? distrust? There will still be respect for them due to them being the ones refurbishing recaptured relics. But the faith in the Omnissiah is another thing.

Any and all comments are welcome

KHK

This is my current Homeworld Section, I figured it'd be easier to tear apart each section individually, so have at you.

K
lysium stands as a beacon of hope on the brink of despair. Bordering on the edge of known space, on the Ghoul Stars, Klysium was first discovered during the Great Crusade, and it accepted Imperial rule almost instantaniously. The world was cultured, mountainous and as the adepts of Mars would soon learn, rich in valuable minerals. Intricate and beautiful stone cities lined the walls of mountains, plateaus, and canyons on the World's surface, while other buildings rested on peaks and tops. Art was valued amongst the Klysians, and the world contributed multiple remembrancers to the Emperor's Expedition Fleets.

When Klysium's mineral deposits were discovered, hundreds of laser drills were imported from the closest forge worlds, and thousands of men and women took to excavating them. While a majority of the minerals were exported to the Mechanicus's forge worlds, a great deal of them found their way into Klysian artist hands.

During the Horus Heresy, innumerable traitors descended upon the world. Klysium's cities were a war front, and millions of PDF soldiers fought a desperate war against foes with orbital and numerical superiority. Reluctantly, the World's leadership ordered every operation mining drill to the world's poles to destroy the Klysian ice caps. As raging waters descended from the poles, cities and men were devoured alike. Uncountable men, loyal and traitor, civilian and soldier, were destroyed, but at a terrible cost. Few Klysian cities remained above the seas, only those that were built on the tallest peaks. A new, vast ocean remained with countless arts and treasures washed out of submerged cities resting on its muddy floor.

When Denarious chose this world thousands of years later to be the Death Heads' the culture was still very much the same. Artist blood ran strongly though the world's veins and despite its cities remaining so far apart, all still stood loyal to the Emperor. Every island chain stood as an independent nation, and while some engaged one another in commercial wars, all remained forever loyal to the Planetary Governor, the Death Heads Chapter Master. Many independent privateers and pirates sail across the world's seas and skies in watercraft and airships. The Chapter Master keeps a large number of PDF soldiers on constant duty, as the threat of an Ork attack is ever looming. Likewise, whenever the Chapter holds contests to draw new recruits, every child, spawn of both pirate and citizen alike, is welcome to compete.

Please comment

KHK

and it accepted Imperial rule almost instantaniously.

Instantaneously.

The biggest problem is you explain your homeworld's past in detail, but then fail to tell us why your Chapter chose the home planet. What did it have to offer over other possible worlds?

By the key as a chapter relic, I mean as a key to an area of the chapters fortress filled with trophies and relics. Perhaps the place where each chapter master might choose his equipment bar the ones set-in-stone. Even having am original of the chapters history. Or perhaps something more nefarious that is linked to the chapters doom. Though I don't much like the latter idea terribly.

It's probably a terrible idea, I just thought 'pirate' and 'treasure' and that's where my thoughts led me.

--

As for name-dropping, I personally wouldn't as your too reliant on someone else's chapter pulling through the development process or not being changed or even hoping that they won't just disappear entirely. (Something that has happened a few times to me before)

That said if you think you can pull it off by all means go for it. I have a chapter (on paper not fully developed) around-ish the Ghoul Stars and that was the chapter that had to have all references of the linked chapter deleted due to the partners efforts falling through unexpectedly. Just don't heavily rely on the link as part of your IA and you should be alright.

--

On the Homeworld stuff just above, I like how you explained the flooding of the world to what it is today. The mining Lasers all firing at the ice-caps though, if I want to get picky, is a bit tough isn't it? Unless they are orbital or airborne and in all cases would have to navigate either the planets surface, atmosphere or close-orbit to get into position and this is all during a war where the loyalists are as you say yourself, out-manned and out-gunned. I would assume such a move would be anticipated or at least an extremely hard-fought operation to get them into position.

I do question why the Mechanicus aren't still at the planet though if it is so rich in minerals. If they can build space faring battleships that traverse the warp they can mine under the ocean. Or why the world wasn't turned into a Mechanicus world in it's entirety so as to give the AdMech a very in-character choke-hold on the resources of which without a constant supply their factory worlds would be rendered inert and entirely useless.

All that said, I like it. If you can explain why these things work then it will be perfect.

The biggest problem is you explain your homeworld's past in detail, but then fail to tell us why your Chapter chose the home planet. What did it have to offer over other possible worlds?

My, you're right :blush:

Would it be an alright idea to have the Chapter come along while the world is fighting off an Ork invasion? Perhaps having Denarious being impressed by the fighting spirits of the Klysians?

Also, thanks for catching the typo.

Sorry, GHY, not a fan of the key.

I don't think I'll go with the name dropping. Maybe having an additional bit on the Chapter's relationships with other Chapters when I expand out of the IA.

On the Homeworld stuff just above, I like how you explained the flooding of the world to what it is today. The mining Lasers all firing at the ice-caps though, if I want to get picky, is a bit tough isn't it? Unless they are orbital or airborne and in all cases would have to navigate either the planets surface, atmosphere or close-orbit to get into position and this is all during a war where the loyalists are as you say yourself, out-manned and out-gunned. I would assume such a move would be anticipated or at least an extremely hard-fought operation to get them into position.

I absolutely hate my half asleep ideas, this one is terrible, and I'm glad you pointed that out. Outgunned, and outclassed, I don't think this is really possible. Unfortunately, I don't know how I can correct it. Ideas? Maybe having fewer invaders, adding to the "Victory at any cost" with them destroying almost every city to kill an only moderately sized force.

I do question why the Mechanicus aren't still at the planet though if it is so rich in minerals. If they can build space faring battleships that traverse the warp they can mine under the ocean. Or why the world wasn't turned into a Mechanicus world in it's entirety so as to give the AdMech a very in-character choke-hold on the resources of which without a constant supply their factory worlds would be rendered inert and entirely useless.

Erm . . . :unsure:

I don't know. Could it possibly be translated that the Mechanicus in the area was loyal to the Warmaster and went traitor during the Heresy, leading the populace to fight them off as well and in turn having it so that the Mechanicus presence isn't terribly strong? I haven't finished Mechanicum yet, so just tell me if this is completely off.

The Trial of Nausicaa

He strode into the Nausicaa's holy chamber, his green armor cleaned to a prescience shine, not seen since it was given to him over two centuries ago. Every charm and pendent he had acquired over his centuries of service was strung to his pads and around his neck. Ork ivory, golden talismans, and trinkets, all rattled as he walked. His Krake helm was latched to his side, it's menacing glare lacking the confidence and presence that it did on the battlefield, as he took the steps up the the pedestal in the middle of the chamber.

Over a hundred astartes surrounded him, veterans of the first, third, and his own fourth company sat in the raised audience talking quietly among themselves, and before him on a podium sat the Chapter Master, flanked by Third's Captain, and the Master of Sanctity. He looked around, eight Chaplains and a quartet of Honor Guard stood motionless is a semicircle around him. Aside from whispers, silence filled the room as the Chapter Master rose, and called out,

"State your rank and name, astartes," His eyes looked up to meet the Chapter Masters, slowly, projecting his voice the astartes spoke,

"I am Fourth Company Captain Filo Howl, shipmaster of the Fourth Company and commander of the Battle Barge Nausicaa, and Grand Admiral of the Death Heads fleet." The Chapter Master nodded and seated himself, "Do you know why you are here, Filo?" Anger rattled up his spine, as decorated as he was, Filo Howl's titles were ignored by the Chapter Master. Looking away and controlling himself, Howl returned his gaze to the Chapter Master, "I am tired as a traitor to the Death Heads Chapter for assisting a traitor to the Emperor in escaping Imperial space, losing possession of a Chapter vessel, and failing to exterminate a traitor to the Emperor, willingly." Slowly, the Chapter Master nodded, "Do you think you are innocent, Filo?" The rattle of anger, his twin hearts began to beat harder, their pounding filling his ears and, he feared, the entire chamber, "If I have learned anything, Chapter Master, it is that no man, astartes or mortal, is innocent. I am merely not guilty for that charges placed against me." A cry from the audience rang out, a first company veteran, Astos Narrick,

"The heretic lies! He has released a traitor, a mutant no less!" Howl glared at Narrick, his patience gone, "Quiet yourself boy! You're still on my vessel, and I still outrank you!" Narrick returned his glare, "Your standing lacks value before this council!" Outraged, Howl snapped back, "And your standing lacks that of a neophyte! Seat yourself Narrick!" The Chapter Master stood, and instantly, Narrick returned to his seat, he turned to Howl and asked, "You deny that you have lost possession of a Chapter vessel, and assisted a traitor in escaping?" Calming, Howl turned back to the Chapter Master, a look of defiance on his face. "Yes, Chapter Master, I do. I have given the vessel to Captain Strabo Thussaud of Second Company. Captain Strabo Thussaud is a respected member of the Death Heads Chapter, and as such, the vessel remains in the Chapters hands." "You deny that the the lost Captain returned is a mutant and a traitor?" Howl replied curtly, "Yes."

The Master of Sanctity spoke now,

"No man stays in the bowls of the Warp for as long as Strabo Thussaud and escapes without mutation. We've seen the condition of his vessel, Gellar fields on the brink of complete collapse, levels completely taken by demonic taint. Even if Thussaud is not a traitor in mind, he is a mutant in body and in turn an abomination in the Imperium of Man. You are wrong in mind, Howl, and your arguments for any other accusation are wrong in turn." As the Chief Chaplain finished, his twelve guards closed in a circle around him. Filo released his helmet, and allowed himself to be taken by his brothers. Even in death, he would know no fear.

Sorry, GHY, not a fan of the key.

Don't worry, neither am I. It was just a random idea that I was never terribly attached to. ;)

Maybe having fewer invaders, adding to the "Victory at any cost" with them destroying almost every city to kill an only moderately sized force.

Well there are easier ways than having massive mining lasers do the work. You could have the planets last flight of marauder bombers release plasma-bombs onto the caps. Or ship a couple of ships/city powerplants to the poles and detonate them. Each would incur less of a reaction from the enemy. When I say anticipated move I do mean that in relation to the lasers, because it's such an easy assumption in relation to them, unless you want to turn them perhaps into makeshift weapons platforms, which could be rather cool.

Hmm, well mining lasers turned into weapons wouldn't have that much range, perhaps make it like a Demolisher-Cannon in a Laser Beam. Anyway, random tangent over.

Could it possibly be translated that the Mechanicus in the area was loyal to the Warmaster and went traitor during the Heresy

Well I'm sure that's possible, and a good way to explain it. If the world wasn't fully developed by the AdMech by the time of the Heresy it would easily explain it. If not it would really be closer to a forge-world than anything else. Perhaps lead the discovery of the minerals to later than the worlds discovery? In any case the date of the mining operations start is not that crucial and if it can be changed to help make the story fit better, great.

Nicely written story KHK, even though you can't really have it in your IA you should submit it to the short-story area of the site. I had one there once, and it was absolutely terrible, just in case you find it. I've written better stories in my sleep than that one, but anyway, yours is good and sets the tone for the chapter very well.

Well, for the going undersea part; perhaps a battle of apocalyptic porportions was going to happen, big enough to wipe out the chapter and sweep through the system. Apon arriving on the world, the found ancient picts and tomes telling of ancient weapons, with power beyond imagining, so to save the system at any cost, they dove into the sea to find these weapons of such ancient revered power.

As far as my earlier idea: for the master of the forge I was thinking he could have a bunch of mechandendrites as the tentacles on his helmet.

:) CA

Well, for the going undersea part; perhaps a battle of apocalyptic porportions was going to happen, big enough to wipe out the chapter and sweep through the system. Apon arriving on the world, the found ancient picts and tomes telling of ancient weapons, with power beyond imagining, so to save the system at any cost, they dove into the sea to find these weapons of such ancient revered power.

Interesting, but not what I'm going for. I'd like the helmets to be found before the naming of the Chapter and its symbol, basically being the inspiration behind it instead of the "hey look they found this and it ironically fit in exactly with their theme!"

Plus, I don't like the idea of weapons of greatness being around in the great crusade being submerged. I think they might have brought just a teeny bit more attention to the world.

I like the idea of servo arms on the Master of the Forge, and having mechanical tentacles behind it would be cool too, I don't think having the actual helmet being the source of the servos would be good though.

Keep the comments coming, I'll hopefully have more updated on the IA by the end of this weekend.

Well then, I am at a loss for ideas. Perhaps while they were exploring the world when deciding if they would stay they found the helmets? Also the mechandendrites were meant to come from his face, and the breather-grill removed to allow room, making it look as if coming from or underneath the helmet. Sorry for the poor explenation. Also have you read any of the GK books? Dark Adeptus gives wonderful descriptions of tech-magos and their stuff.

I'm really failing to organize my ideas into something coherent. I hate backtracking, but it's necessary now if anything good is going to come out of this.

Bullets/ notes:

The first Chapter Master is Stannum Denarious, a Silver Skull. He believes that terror is a viable tactic and makes the Marines take up more ferocious/ stylized armor (helmets changed to have stylized jaws, skulls painted onto helmets, etc.). Marines have also taken up chanting during winning battles and before large battles. The Chant in universe is a homeworld war hyme, outside it's more or less "Raise the Colors High" with modified lyrics. Following the Silver Skulls traditions he makes the Chapter consult Librarians before combat.

The Chapter has sixteen golden Krake helms: one worn by the Chapter Master, each Captain, the Master of the Honor Guard (known as the Piratate), the Chapter Champion, The Chief Apothecary, the Chief Librarian, and the Master of Sanctity.

The Chapter's homeworld is Klysium: a water world where art is treasured; culture is split between the artists and the warriors (currently pirates and privateers). The Death Heads have adopted many of the world's warrior customs: ritual tattooing/ scarring, affinity for close combat, etc. The Chapter has also taken in many of the Chapter's superstitions: a belief that the color blue is unlucky, red is lucky in the evening and unlucky in the morning.

Recruits taken from Klysium at Chapter held competitions where the Klysian youth fight to see who is worthy of joining the Astartes. All sons are welcome to compete.

Klysium can either be located by the Ghoul Stars or the Maelstrom:

Ghoul Stars

- Thussaud flies off into the Ghoul Stars (though this can be edited to the Maelstrom)

- Orks are a threat and it gives the opportunity for the world to be selected while fighting off an Ork threat

- Allows the Chapter to develop an adversary warboss

Maelstrom

- There are Ork empires around the Maelstrom

- Gives an argument for the Librarians becoming corrupt

- The world can be selected while fighting off Chaos

Which would be more realistic to be attacked during the Horus Heresy?

Chaplains are the Chapter's spiritual leaders, they watch over Librarians, keeping them on a short leash, and acting as an executioner should the Librarian be corrupt. They wear the skull mask, in the shape of a human skull or some other animal whether it be serpent, or some other such beast. There are an estimated three Chaplains per Company.

Due to multiple Librarians being tainted over the centuries of service, their command role has fallen by the wayside and they have become more or less fortune tellers and tacticians amongst the Battle Brothers. They still command respect, but are no more than tools. They are also deemed unlucky, wearing blue armor.

Techmarines are viewed in a variety of ways, praised for everything they do for the Chapter and sometimes poked at for having faith in the Machine God.

This can be edited so that the Techmarines have faith in the Omnissiah (the Emperor under a different name). They're still held in high regard for preparing the machines of war and keeping everything maintained.

Apothecaries are more or less the same as marines except they have their extra duty. They get in the thick of it like their battle brothers, and don't play a prominent support role. More adopted from the world's culture.

Combat doctrine follows both the Codex and Chapter made tactics.

Advancement is changed: there are no scouts, veterans or neophytes. Neophytes are instead placed in foot slogging close combat squads (assault squad minus jump pack), they then graduate to true assault squads, devastator squads, and finally tactical squads.

Every Company is an active company, and follows the basic: 6 Tactical Squad, 2 Assault Squad, 2 Devastator Squads; the only limit on neophytes on the field is the number of suits of power armor. Though the First Company is still the Veteran Company, drawing recruits from all other Companies.

The Chapter is very faithful to the Emperor, and the attitude of the marines varies, some more serious, others more like Tarik, humorous and quick to joke.

The Chapter has the average amount of Armor, in tactical dreadnought armor, dreadnought shells, and tanks. Bikes are liked for the Chapter's quick assaults, and drop pods are a universal tactic employed in almost every environment.

To be placed in a Dreadnought sarcophagus is to be given the highest honor. The ancients are respected for living up to the Chapter's first motto "We shall never die!"

Trophy taking is the Chapter's trade mark. Skulls, teeth, badges, boss poles, weapons, everything worthwhile and sometimes complete garbage that catches a battle brother's eye. The marines give up what they think is the more valuable loot to their Company Chaplains, the Chaplains give it to the Techmarine, the Techmarine takes what is useful to be stored in the armory and gives the rest back to the Chaplains to give to the Battle Brothers to compete over in honor duels. More venerable marines will amass larger collections of trinkets and trophies.

Strabo Thussaud is the Captain of Second Company; he is trapped in the warp along with his company for a period of time (several months) and as time passes the marines begin to mutate, some amputate their limbs and attach bionics, others use the mutations to fight against boarding daemons. When they emerge, the appear before Klysium. The current Captain on the world is Thussaud's friend, Fourth Company Captain Howl. Thussaud begs Howl to let him go, Howl gives him a new ship and several squads with close ties to the Second volunteer to join him. Thussaud sails off into either the Maelstrom or the Ghoul Stars depending on placement of the world.

Astos Narrick is a headstrong first company champion and is selected by the Chapter Master to be the leader of a new Company, since Thussaud is absent. However, the Chapter Master's goals are different, he hopes to have Narrick kill Thussaud by playing at Narrick's pride. He gives Narrick the title commander, Narrick demands the title of Captain, Chapter Master tells him to go get Thussaud's helm, Narrick takes his Company and sails off after Thussuad. Narrick's Company is officially the Second, but he has chosen to take up the Eleventh.

There is also a special commander, The Master of Recruits. Basically a veteran marine whose only duty is to stay on the homeworld and train recruits. He's condescending, forcing the recruits to either man up and prove him wrong ("I'm not scum!" style). You either become a Death Head or just dead. Though I don't know what I can do with this role.

I need several modified titles, the most important being for the Master of Recruits.

I'm sorry if this is unorganized, if you have the time, dig though it and modify it where it needs it. Thanks.

EDIT Spelling and Grammar

Quote:

"Trophy taking is the Chapter's trade mark. Skulls, teeth, badges, boss poles, weapons, everything worthwhile and sometimes complete garbage that catches a battle brother's eye. The marines give up what they think is the more valuable loot to their Company Chaplains, the Chaplains give it to the Techmarine, the Techmarine takes what is useful to be stored in the armory and gives the rest back to the Chaplains to give to the Battle Brothers to compete over in honor duels. More venerable marines will amass larger collections of trinkets and trophies."

Orkish anyone :P ? I think its fine to collect honor badges or trophies, but anything that catches their eye?

Also, I thought your original stuff was just fine. ;)

Well, CA, it basically is the original stuff, just with the included debate about the Homeworld's location.

What seems to be the problem with anything that catches their eye? It's definitely orkish, and pretty pirate like if I do say so myself.

Keep commenting,

KHK

The Chapter's homeworld is Klysium: a water world where art is treasured; culture is split between the artists and the warriors (currently pirates and privateers). The Death Heads have adopted many of the world's warrior customs: ritual tattooing/ scarring, affinity for close combat, etc. The Chapter has also taken in many of the Chapter's superstitions: a belief that the color blue is unlucky, red is lucky in the evening and unlucky in the morning.

Recruits taken from Klysium at Chapter held competitions where the Klysian youth fight to see who is worthy of joining the Astartes. All sons are welcome to compete.

Seems to me that the artists, along with anyone else who enjoy a structured society would have to employ a permanent organization to protect themselves. This is where a naval arm of the culture would perhaps be better than privateers. Artists cannot really flourish without a structured society to operate within, whether rebelling against it or not the art is lost if there is no one around to appreciate or preserve it.

Privateers are a good step forward, but they are like bounty hunters, just as much on the wrong side of the law as the right. I think perhaps you could have various naval nations or some such instead of a collection of pirates sailing under different flags. All it would do is stabilize the less anarchistic aspects of the worlds culture and balance out the theme you've chosen.

Which would be more realistic to be attacked during the Horus Heresy?

Neither, really. Neither locations are really strategically important locations in of themselves unless they are military bases or production centers. Population centers aren't really on the same level in a full-scale conflict like that. The population centers are unimportant if they cannot affect the overall battle, for example fleets would have to be diverted from active conflict zones to protect the ships carrying new recruits.

Perhaps it was invaded because it was prioritized as a possible loyalist recruitment base. However from the ghoul stars it makes for a rather long journey to somewhere they can be put to good use. Though I'm not actually sure just how many forces were recruited, trained and subsequently deployed during the Heresy. To my mind it seemed to be simply a huge crisis, requiring all available forces to be deployed into conflict immediately. No thought would really have been given to a longer-term time-frame when engaged in such a do-or-die struggle.

Otherwise it would have to be some sort of protection for another strategically important world, like a mineral-rich mining planet, asteroid belt or moon. Or perhaps as a jumping off point for Imperial forces responding from more far-flung locations. I like the latter the most.

A gathering point for incoming ships being drawn from outlaying systems back home. It would be enough of a target for it to become a focal point for traitor forces but also not such an important piece in the overall conflict to warrant special mention, same as some other things like huge battles or campaigns in other IA's.

Another good reason would perhaps be simply because it was very well defended. Good orbital defenses for example. It would force enemy forces to traverse longer distances to other warzones to avoid it, therefore the plan was devised to simply remove it from the equation.

I'm not sure where you want to go with this though. Any specific direction you want to go in?

Thank you, GHY, I forgot to include the naval PDF.

As far as the "warrior" teachings go, would it be fitting for the PDF to simply indoctrinate those traditions upon the soldiers? Perhaps even having the children of soldiers live their lives with these old traditions.

I like the idea of it being a jump point.

It would probably work with it being well defended and something that some traitor commander just wanted out of the way.

The idea with the world in its history is that it's assaulted by Chaos and forced to drown itself to be "victorious"

In the current setting, I'd like it to be a barrier world, and when the Death Heads come poking around for a home world they see the men fighting, respect the ferocity, and take it up. It works against both the Orks and Chaos, and though the traditions are more orkish "loot what you like" and what not, I think it would work in both locations.

I think I'll settle on the Maelstrom, since it's both Chaos and several Ork empires. Just a question of where Thussaud will fly off to, the warp storm or the "safer" Ork empires.

Archived