Death Heads

Donkey Kong

The idea with the world in its history is that it's assaulted by Chaos and forced to drown itself to be "victorious"

One question I've wanted to ask for a while now is, has that pyrrhic victory affected the chapter to any degree? Are they encouraged by the sacrifice of the people to the extent that even such costly victory is acceptable? Or perhaps are they critical of the decision made to sink the world.

I guess what I'm asking is if the chapter is affected by the worlds Imperial history, not just it's people and culture. It might seem like a small thing but I was wondering if the memory of what happened could have even lasted in the minds of the subsequent generations that the chapter now recruits from.

The Ghoul Stars are basically in the northern border of known space. It's mostly controlled by Orks and has some odd minor aliens in there, I believe that there is even one official Chapter dedicated to operating inside them. Hope that helps, you can also look at the starmap in GHY's sig for some more information.

GHY, I thought the idea of victory at any cost was a part of the culture that would be adopted.

The Chapter is very faithful to the Emperor, and the attitude of the marines varies, some more serious, others more like Tarik, humorous and quick to joke.

Be careful you don't humanize the marines too much with the humour element. It has happened countless times before when an Author wants his marines to be more like Hollywood WW2 GI's than fanatical-warrior-monks-of-death.

Trophy taking is the Chapter's trade mark. Skulls, teeth, badges, boss poles, weapons, everything worthwhile and sometimes complete garbage that catches a battle brother's eye. The marines give up what they think is the more valuable loot to their Company Chaplains, the Chaplains give it to the Techmarine, the Techmarine takes what is useful to be stored in the armory and gives the rest back to the Chaplains to give to the Battle Brothers to compete over in honor duels. More venerable marines will amass larger collections of trinkets and trophies.

I really like this a lot. It's very strange for marines to be pack-rats but in this case it works well. I'd be very interested to see more on this, perhaps a bit more detail, or a personal account as a sidebar. Something to make it a bit more real than just 'part of the chapter' if you get my meaning. Perhaps have a marine who is renowned for the largest or most valuable horde, or even for refusing to amass more than what he has unless it's part of a set of something he's looking for, like a proper collector. Some people might not rate it, but I really like this aspect of the chapters personality.

I wonder how hotly contested another chapters relic considered lost would be within the chapter, and whether they would be willing to hand it back to the original owners or if they have a 'finders keepers' attitude.

Be careful you don't humanize the marines too much with the humour element. It has happened countless times before when an Author wants his marines to be more like Hollywood WW2 GI's than fanatical-warrior-monks-of-death.

Indeed.

I really like this a lot. It's very strange for marines to be pack-rats but in this case it works well. I'd be very interested to see more on this, perhaps a bit more detail, or a personal account as a sidebar. Something to make it a bit more real than just 'part of the chapter' if you get my meaning. Perhaps have a marine who is renowned for the largest or most valuable horde, or even for refusing to amass more than what he has unless it's part of a set of something he's looking for, like a proper collector. Some people might not rate it, but I really like this aspect of the chapters personality.

That does sound like an interesting idea. Also, the collector is cool, I don't think the largest horde would work since I'm sure the veterans have enough crap to drown an Inquisitor by default. The only thing would be what the heck could he collect, "I only want Ork wisdom teeth B) !" :P

I wonder how hotly contested another chapters relic considered lost would be within the chapter, and whether they would be willing to hand it back to the original owners or if they have a 'finders keepers' attitude.

You want it? I'll fight you for it ;) .

Does collecting Relics a large part of the Chaplains job in this Chapter? Are they like the Librarians, but of Relics? Plus all their standard duties of course!

I still think no large a Veteran's horde is their is always one bigger! I say make the 5th Captain or some such the "Master of the Loot" whose Strike Cruiser and his room at the Fortress Monastery are adorned and held to a high degree "relics" or the chapter's past or something. I think that'd be a little humorous but still completely fluffy. I think Space Marines still have the ability to laugh, they just don't make it their goal to do stand-up!

Goin' nice me thinks!

and admittedly I fail to see what exactly comes with creating a new thread to get Librarium people to look at it.

Did I miss this chapter being admitted into the Librarium? I probably did, or I didn't and forgot about it thereby leaving me back where I started.

Making a new thread would eliminate anyone coming newly to this topic having to trawl through, what is it now, five pages of subsequent posts and responses to get to the 'current issue'.

Here's some work in progress:

Chapter Organization

U
nlike a majority of Gulliman's kin, the Death Heads deviate from the Codex Astartes in their organization, and in some cases completely disregard it. The Chapter maintains ten companies, though eleven are in existence. The First Company houses the Chapter's veterans. The eldest, wisest, strongest, and most experienced marines are drawn from every Company to fight under the banner of the First. In addition to this honor, the marines receive training in using the Chapter's numbered suits of Tactical Dreadnought Armor. The First Company rarely operates alone, instead marines are returned to their battle companies where they can fight alongside their brothers and share their experience.

The Second through Eleventh Company are each active Battle Companies, following the standard Codex formation. The Death Heads make no use of scouts, whether as neophytes or veterans. Instead, neophytes are trained on Klysium until they're deemed both physically and mentally fit by the present apothecary and their mentor, the Minuo. Neophytes fight in power armored close combat squads under a Company veteran sergeant. These combat squads have high fatality rates, though constant recruitment prevents losses from crippling the Company. When they are deemed worthy they enter their Company as a full battle brother and advance to the Assault Squads, then the Devastator Squads, and finally join the Tactical Squads. Neophytes stay with their Company until they join the First Company or fall in battle. Every squad is commanded by a Veteran Sergeant who deems when his battle brothers are fit to advance. The Chapter's apothecaries fight alongside their battle brothers, with equal ferocity and zeal. While their duties do include retrieving progeniod glands from their fallen battle brothers, the apothecaries see this as merely an additional task.

Minuo
The Death Head's Minuo functions as standard Chapter's Master of Recruits. The Minuo is a Chapter veteran, the position is honored, and feared, by all others. Selected by a council of Chaplains, the Minuo is bound to Klysium, separating the marine from his battle brothers and the battlefield. It is his duty to train hopefuls until they are ready to fight alongside full battle brothers. However, the Death Heads have adopted a more unconventional approach to motivating recruits. By having the Minuo criticize every fault and praise only the best, he forces the hopefuls to prove themselves worthy. Those that do not are often crippled or die, while those that do demonstrate the strong and defiant nature the Death Heads adore.

Chaplains are the Chapter's watchdogs. They are selected from the most loyal marines, and are fierce in meeting their tasks. It is the Chaplains' responsibility to watch over the Company during warp travel, as well as aiding in recording the Chapter's history and monitoring the relics reclaimed from the battlefield. The Chaplains take all that is determined useless or unnecessary by the Company Techmarine and allows the battle brothers to have honor duels to determine who will claim them. Chaplains monitor these duels and prevent any Astartes from dying. They also hold the responsibility of watching over the Librarians and ensuring their purity. Following the Codex Astartes, the Death Heads Chaplains wear the black plate and skull helmet of their office. Each Chaplain has a unique suit of power armor and helm, mocking the skulls of men and ferocious beasts.

Librarians once held great respect amongst the Death Heads, taken from the traditions of their mentor Chapter, the Silver Skulls. However, centuries of watching Librarians corrupted by the warp and the forces the led destroyed have changed their image in the eyes of the Chapter. They still hold their position as prophets, consulted before each battle. However, their numbers are few due to Klysium's low psyker population, and their words hold less and less sway with each passing generation. Their color of office has led them to be deemed unlucky by many Astartes who follow the Klysian superstitions. Librarians are forbidden to lead any force by themselves, and are constantly watched by an accompanying Chaplain. While mistrusted, the Librarians are still honored amongst the Death Heads for their abilities and wisdom.

Techmarines, like those of other Chapters, are selected from the most tech savvy recruits and sent to Mars to undergo training in the ways of the Machine God. While their faith in the Emperor is changed, their office commands great respect, as they maintain the zeal of their battle brothers. Techmarines are given the sole responsibility of maintaining and refurbishing vehicles of their Company's armory and the power armor of the deceased. They are given first rights in claiming relics from their Company's newly acquired hordes, often leaving them with the greatest troves, earning them even greater honors amongst their battle brothers. Strong in body and mind, Techmarines are given full rights in leading their battle brothers, their weaponry giving even greater power to the Chapter's fear tactics.

please comment.

Due to the Chapter's zealous nature, the Techmarines take to worshipping the Omnissiah in place of the Machine God, leaving no doubt in their battle brothers minds that the Techmarines are just as faithful as they are.

Are they not the same thing?

I may have misunderstood, but I thought the Omnissiah was the techmarine name for the machine god.

Everything else is pretty cool.

Are they not the same thing?

Sort of. The Omnissiah is technically their name for both the Emperor and the machine god, since they believe them to be one in the same, at least that's what they tell outsiders. They once believed in just a machine god, but were eventually made to include the Emperor in that worship. It's more complicated than that but I don't have all the facts to hand or in mind.

The fact is the Omnissiah is the machine god. For all intents and purposes Ace is right.

Minuo

It's a good adaptation of the typical master of recruits. However, a good teacher -and leader- should praise someone when they do something right. To do otherwise (especially when Astartes training lasts for some decades) can breed inferiority complexes and self-esteem issues. It seems more like a type of mental torture rather than training. This goes doubly so when the recruits are still children when they begin.

The exception can possibly be seen in special forces induction tests. The difference here is that the highest performance is not only expected, but required, and that the people participating are already some of the best the military has to offer, often already veterans or incredibly driven individuals already used to military life. Even so, credit must be given where it is due.

I envision the position of more of a dreaded overseer. He oversees all the recruits and they all know it. They always see him watching them and he never spares any of them if even one mistake is made. However, he should still at least give praise where it is warranted, otherwise there is less drive to succeed.

I have taught people before in limited circumstances and I naturally tend to praise people when they do something right and just advise change when they make a mistake. It seems to work well and also boosts the confidence and self-esteem of the person your teaching which has some great knock-on effects with other work or subsequent projects. Though my experience is very limited, admittedly.

In the end it's up to you. If the Minuo is how you describe it then that's what it is, as it's not a part of established fluff it's essentially up to you. I see him more at the moment as a bit of an overbearing bully than the 'drill Sargent' I am guessing he is supposed to be.

The problems with typing at one in the morning, ideas slip past. I should include praise when recruits do well. I was also thinking of something where the best recruits are literally bled, possibly on the Minuo's armor. Is this a good idea or too Blood Pact?

EDIT: To clarify, it's like they cut their palm and wipe the stain on a wall or the Master's armor or a wall or something of the sort.

The idea of the Minuo is supposed to be more drill sergeant, though I can see the bully aspect, especially with the absent praise. So, the praise will be included.

I'll be editing it now.

I've started a bit on the Chapter Cult. Here's some WIP:

Chapter Cult

T
he Death Heads numbers amongst the most zealous Chapters in service to the Imperium. The Chapter detests all enemies of the Emperor, refusing to fight alongside any xeno force, and even more fervent Captains refusing to fight alongside abhumans in the service of the Imperial Guard. Mutants and psykers are also mistrusted to the extent that all of the Chapter's Librarians are overseen by a Chaplain.

The Death Heads have adopted many of Klysium's warrior traditions and superstitions. Blue is regarded as unlucky. Red is recognized as lucky in the morning and unlucky in the evening, likewise marines will more often decorate their armor with red jags and markings. Symbols have been taken from old Klysian culture, serpents, krakes, gorgon heads, anchors and complex spirals have all been used by marines to decorate their armor, each symbol having a special meaning to the warriors whether to protect them from harm or promise victory. Chaplains lead warrior chants, taken from Klysian warriors, on the battlefield to motivate battle brothers and strike fear in the enemies of the Emperor.

Following the example of their parent Chapter the Silver Skulls, the Death Heads consult their Librarians before engaging in any conflict. Though, increased scrutiny have led to their words holding less and less sway amongst the newer Captains. More venerable Captains still hold the words of their Librarians in high regard.

Archived