IA: The Red Lords

Ace Debonair

I'll assume that's an alternate spelling of 'callous', then. Figures.

Right, back to the drawing board. :)

But there's no problem with Ebraim as a first name, is there? :Elite:

Their First Chapter Master Was Not Like Other People of the Chapter Who Selected Him - He Was Different...

...Alright, alright, I'll muse on this for a bit.

I mean, I could make the drastic changes all Corwell* but that also sounds a bit unlikely.

The other option, of course, is to make it so the first guy IS different, but only really voices those divergent opinions once he gets a chapter of his own.

And... if there's a third option, danged if I know what it is.

*Pending discovery of a better name, I'll stick with Corwell for now.

The first guy teaches his successor the value of bolder tactics and methods along with the Raven Guard traditional way. Through time, and his successors own personality he gains a greater belief or appreciation for the aforementioned bolder tactics and begins to make changes within the chapter to accommodate new ways of making war.

Through the years the chapter has become more and more attached to this method of warfare and it has, much in the same way as the Raven Guards sneaky, stealthy manner is their tradition, this became theirs.

I think it's viable, you just need to widen the scope of the time-frame for all these changes to happen within. Nothing happens overnight after all.

This can also tie in with any character changing events, such as new recruits from their new homeworld, battles and campaigns that take place, interaction with other chapters, etc.

I'll assume that's an alternate spelling of 'callous', then. Figures.

Actually, the two are quite distinct. Callous is an adjective. A callus is the tough skin you get when you've been working a lot.

But there's no problem with Ebraim as a first name, is there? biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, Ibrawhasisface Gaunt has Ibrahim, Abraham, and most names like it sewn up a bit...

I mean, I could make the drastic changes all Corwell* but that also sounds a bit unlikely.

It doesn't have to be all Corwell. Just have their actions lead them down a risky moral path, have them notice, decide that maybe this isn't the right way to do things, and move more toward what eventually produces Corwell.

I like the "it's not safe without Corax to guide us" idea. Perhaps have the second Chapter Master conclude that?

Oliver Cromwell.

Oh, that's subtle. Like that Inquistor Clouseau... What was his full name? James Sherlock Clouseau? Something like that?

Yeah, and it's still taken people a good while to get the Cromwell reference.

The literary equivalent of thick black spectacles with a big fake moustache attached it might have been, but it kept people guessing for more than half a year.

Unfortunately, Ibrawhasisface Gaunt has Ibrahim, Abraham, and most names like it sewn up a bit...

Right. So Ebraim's out too. Time to hit the drawing board a further time. ;)

It doesn't have to be all Corwell. Just have their actions lead them down a risky moral path, have them notice, decide that maybe this isn't the right way to do things, and move more toward what eventually produces Corwell.

I like the "it's not safe without Corax to guide us" idea. Perhaps have the second Chapter Master conclude that?

The second chapter master is, presently, Corwell. :)

I suppose making him occur later in the chapter's history would give more time for the other changes to flourish.

The first guy teaches his successor the value of bolder tactics and methods along with the Raven Guard traditional way. Through time, and his successors own personality he gains a greater belief or appreciation for the aforementioned bolder tactics and begins to make changes within the chapter to accommodate new ways of making war.

Through the years the chapter has become more and more attached to this method of warfare and it has, much in the same way as the Raven Guards sneaky, stealthy manner is their tradition, this became theirs.

I think it's viable, you just need to widen the scope of the time-frame for all these changes to happen within. Nothing happens overnight after all.

This can also tie in with any character changing events, such as new recruits from their new homeworld, battles and campaigns that take place, interaction with other chapters, etc.

Hmm. I suppose if the Red Lords were drawn into some sieges, they might come to rely more on the artillery as a means of siege-breaking initially, which would give room for that to develop to open warfare when possible. I mean, on top of the 'bolder tactics' thing.

The literary equivalent of thick black spectacles with a big fake moustache attached it might have been, but it kept people guessing for more than half a year.

Really? :D It hit me straight in the face. :D

Really? :huh: It hit me straight in the face. :lol:

Then allow me to rephrase - when I asked people to guess the reference a while back, nobody succeeded. :P

And as recently as two days back, I still had someone asking who Corwell was meant to be. ;)

Folks popping up after the name's been there for a year and calling it unsubtle just makes me a bit grumpy, I guess. :lol:

Bah, I'm going off-topic in my own thread. :wacko:

I've decided something a bit evil-sounding might be the best bet for Corwell's new name, so how about Mordrim Vaulther as a potential replacement?

You're making him sound like Huron. (Why do I always think it's Luron Hufgt not Huron Lufgt? However the last name is spelled, whatever. :lol:)

Apologies for not having re-read the material in detail since the last time I looked at it (my mini-critique earlier was based entirely on stuff I think, or at least felt I'd read before) but from what you're saying, it sounds like you're going for a 'Huron that didn't quite get away with it' angle. That would certainly work if it was actually this bugger who wanted more sneakyness and led the chapter to believe in the aftermath that sneakyness isn't safe without Corax to guide them, as it were.

Depose the Tyrant! Maybe a lot of the reforms in the chapter are because of whatshisface, rather than being his idea.

Yes, that's right Grey, just ask someone to throw all their ideas and work out of the window because you made a suggestion. Good man. :wacko:

Apologies for not having re-read the material in detail since the last time I looked at it (my mini-critique earlier was based entirely on stuff I think, or at least felt I'd read before) but from what you're saying, it sounds like you're going for a 'Huron that didn't quite get away with it' angle.

Possibly. I'm hindered in that respect because I don't know what he got away with, or more importantly who exactly this Huron guy is. :lol:

I don't own any books or codexes, you see.

The majority of the stuff in the IA is old text, I have to admit, but it is up to date, more or less. I think.

That would certainly work if it was actually this bugger who wanted more sneakyness and led the chapter to believe in the aftermath that sneakyness isn't safe without Corax to guide them, as it were.

Depose the Tyrant! Maybe a lot of the reforms in the chapter are because of whatshisface, rather than being his idea.

Yes, that's right Grey, just ask someone to throw all their ideas and work out of the window because you made a suggestion. Good man. :wacko:

I got tangled up in the first sentence, I admit. :lol:

That's actually a really, really cool idea, but I'm sticking with Corwell/Vaulther/whatever-I-call-him-in-the-end making most of the changes. It's been pretty much at the core of the chapter ever since I found out I'd need to justify those changes. :huh:

Possibly. I'm hindered in that respect because I don't know what he got away with, or more importantly who exactly this Huron guy is.

He's the Chapter Master of the Astral Claws that single handedly lead them into the instigation of the Badab War and then turning from the Emperor and going renegade-chaos and renaming themselves the Red Corsairs.

Possibly. I'm hindered in that respect because I don't know what he got away with, or more importantly who exactly this Huron guy is.

He's the Chapter Master of the Astral Claws that single handedly lead them into the instigation of the Badab War and then turning from the Emperor and going renegade-chaos and renaming themselves the Red Corsairs.

Ah, right. I thought it was something like that. :wacko:

Well, I was hoping more for a guy who takes dedication to purity to total extremes and thusly declares standing back and opening up with whirlwinds is less risk to the soul than sneaking about because the great and noble Corax is not there to guide them.

Since the weekend is closing in pretty quickly, I'll try and re-tune the IA and freshen it up a bit after the weekend.

I've still got to work on my Rift Lords story for the Iron Gauntlet, too. I am going to be so busy next week. :lol:

Since the weekend is closing in pretty quickly, I'll try and re-tune the IA and freshen it up a bit after the weekend.

I've still got to work on my Rift Lords story for the Iron Gauntlet, too. I am going to be so busy next week. :lol:

Good luck mate! And take it easy, we do want more, but you decide when. :)

Ludovic

Good luck mate! And take it easy, we do want more, but you decide when.

Gods, if it was only that easy. I'd have all six of my chapters finished.

Incidentally, I've already come up with the new, improved core and foundations of my Steel Dragons and the Twilight Talons, who may or may not be renamed the Penumbral Talons when I write them up, just to avoid the now-inevitable jokes. But the Red Lords are top of my to-do-list, and staying that way for now.

Not if this whip I have here has anything to say about it. Mush boy mush!

:)

Bah, your attempts to intimidate me fail miserably. On another note, I'd better get back to work!

So does Mordrim Vaulther sound any better than Orvain Corwell for the IA?

By The Emperor, I will create a worthy name for this character before the month is out. :angry:

(As much as I hate to post without saying anything useful/funny...)

Bah! What is this? Smiley Faces are a sign of the impure! Get the Whirlwinds! ^_^

...oooops. :lol:

Belay that command, on balance.

I'm at work so I have not read all of your IA just yet, however I saw your paintscheme and I liked it but tought why not shift place on the reds? You really can't see the Aqulia. The colourscheme is important if you shift the colours, I belive there will be enough "Lightspots" to keep it as a nice scheme due to the trims and the "poping" areas of the Aqulia, etc.

I'll comment on the IA-text when I get home from work.

Nilsson

Oliver Cromwell.

Oh, that's subtle. Like that Inquistor Clouseau... What was his full name? James Sherlock Clouseau? Something like that?

I'm ashamed to admit that I thought you'd derived his name from George Orwell. I think "Corwell" threw me off.

I'm at work so I have not read all of your IA just yet, however I saw your paintscheme and I liked it but tought why not shift place on the reds? You really can't see the Aqulia. The colourscheme is important if you shift the colours, I belive there will be enough "Lightspots" to keep it as a nice scheme due to the trims and the "poping" areas of the Aqulia, etc.

I'll comment on the IA-text when I get home from work.

Nilsson

Do you mean use the darker red in place of the light one and vice-versa?

I did try that, but then they look eerily like my Stonebound's 1st company, only a bit redder. I'd rather stick with the 'Lords as they are, but feel free to use the inverted scheme yourself. :lol:

That said, I could easily shift the aquila to gold rather than red, thus:

sm.php?b62c=@hYgb4_i8TzJ.hwMdU@@@_@@@_@.@@__@@@@@_@@@_@_._.@@@@@@@@@@@.@@@@@@@@@@@@_.iakk7&sm.php?b62c=@hYgb4_i8TzJ.hwMdU@@@_@@@_@.@@..@@@@@_@@@_@_._.@@@@@@@@@@@.@@@@@@@@@@@@_.iakk7&

Public opinion time: Does that look any better than the red one?

I'm ashamed to admit that I thought you'd derived his name from George Orwell. I think "Corwell" threw me off.

No shame there. :) That was a deliberate swerve ball.

I prefer the top of the two schemes. I just prefer clear aquilas, it just seems right to me. Not so much that they have to be gold or silver, they can be brass, iron, tin, copper or black. They could be cyan for all I care as long as you can see them. That said, it would be nice if the colours matched the scheme you were going for. ;)

For me it's one of the few devices that the marines carry around on their armour (when you're not looking at the new veteran models and sternguard for instance) that marks them out to be loyalists. Not only loyalists but it's one of the few imperial 'pretty' things you see on all marines. Even the bland-as-wallpaper-paste tactical marine models.

Archived