IA: The Red Lords

Ace Debonair

I prefer the top of the two schemes. I just prefer clear aquilas, it just seems right to me. Not so much that they have to be gold or silver, they can be brass, iron, tin, copper or black. They could be cyan for all I care as long as you can see them. That said, it would be nice if the colours matched the scheme you were going for. :)

That's one for gold. ;)

For me it's one of the few devices that the marines carry around on their armour (when you're not looking at the new veteran models and sternguard for instance) that marks them out to be loyalists. Not only loyalists but it's one of the few imperial 'pretty' things you see on all marines. Even the bland-as-wallpaper-paste tactical marine models.

It's a strange thing, but even my basic marines almost never come out bland. But then, this is why I like my wildly variable colourschemes, they're more fun to paint. :lol:

I'd have to agree with GHY on the Aquila, it should stand out. Another vote for the first scheme!

On the article itself, sorry I've not had a chance to have a proper look sooner, I will try to offer some half decent thoughts in the next few days! ;)

Two for gold, eh?

Ok, that's easily fixed. ^_^

Well, maybe in the next update.

On the article itself, sorry I've not had a chance to have a proper look sooner, I will try to offer some half decent thoughts in the next few days!

Ah, excellent. I have some time to iron out any mistakes I can find and make it more difficult for you! ;)

Definitely the Gold Aquilla. I think it serves three purposes being blingy like that.

1.) Shows that they don't hide. Demonstrates the power and majesty of the Imperium.

2.) Subtle Display of Arrogance. Definitely a plus for these guys.

3.) Serves the same function as Batman's Bright Yellow icon on his chest. The chest is the most heavily armored part of his suit, and I would think the same is true of power armor. Draws the enemies focus, and therefore aim to that part, where the enemies fire is more likely to be useless. At least I think that was Batman's reasoning. I don't remember all that well.

EITHER WAY!!! Gold Aquilla looks cooler.

The Red Lords faced many insidious, secretive cults in their early days - enemies lurking within the heart of Imperial cities and forces, hiding like rats before the judgement of the Red Lords. Gradually, the chapter grew away from the ways of the Raven Guard, striking at targets boldly, almost daring their enemies to attack them in the open.

This is really good. Makes me think they are finding cults where none exist, almost like the Witch Hunts. I dunno if that was intended or not, but it's good.

With Corwell's rise to power, he exercised his extraodinary charisma, winning all but a handful of the chapter completely to his ideals.

So what happened to dissenters? Astartes don't seem the type to let something they don't believe in go on without challenge. Did he convert them? Exile them? Destroy them?

The new Chapter Master had decided the only true bastion against the predations of chaos were the Astartes.

Chaos should be capitalized.

And even they, as the Red Lords were aware, could be fallible.

Starting the sentence with And doesn't read well to me. Maybe use Although instead? I dunno, maybe that is just me.

Corwell concluded that if the Space Marines were all that stood against chaos's domination, the fall of even a single Astartes not only weakened the chapter, it weakened the Emperor's grip on the Imperium - which was unacceptable.

Chaos needs to be capitalized again.

Corwell also proclaimed that rather than lurking in the shadows, like the despicable minions of Chaos, an Astartes should stand tall and proud - defying enemies to come forth and recieve judgement.

I before E, except after C. Receive should have its I and its E switched :lol:

The tests run by the chapter last upwards of two years in total before a potential member is even inducted into the Tenth Company.

Purity: Check. Does this affect their ability to recoup losses after a bloody campaign? And do the Red Lords maintain a smaller than average Scout company because of this?

As a result, Marines generally spend most of their lives serving aboard the chapter's fleets, ranging wherever they detect traces of chaos in order to eradicate all vestiges of the great enemy.

Capitalize Chaos, and perhaps Great Enemy, as you are using it as a title?

The Red Lords often choose to fight in a way infrequently relied upon amongst Astartes, preferring sustained artillery attacks to cripple an enemy before closing to finish the attack against their targets.

This idea is pretty sweet, especially with your quote that enemies are unworthy to look upon the Red Lords. However, it raises a question or two.

1.) How to the Red Lords deal with hardened targets, or subterranean targets? Artillery is relatively useless here.

2.) How does this affect their ability to do battle when no artillery can be brought to bear, Space Hulks for instance? They are still Astartes and thus, still able to handle it just fine, but do they suffer morale issues? They are forced to allow the enemy to look upon them, sullying the Red Lords with their heretical gaze?

Frequently the Red Lords will co-operate with any local Imperial Guard forces, particularly both by co-ordinating artillery strikes on enemy positions or by using the guardsmen as bait to draw enemies out for the Red Lords to destroy.

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense, is a contradiction. I doubt the Guardsmen consider it to be cooperation to be used as bait. Like wise, aside from using them as bait, I doubt the Red Lords would ever willingly rely on normal men, who they view as weak, fallible, fragile, and foolish. Bait I can definitely see, but never cooperation. Having to rely on normal men just doesn't seem like the Red Lords' game.

The Red Lords see any deviation from the path they walk as risking corruption. When in co-operation with other Astartes, the Red Lords are quick to preach the worth of purity, although this advice is seldom acted upon, to the concern of the Red Lords.

This is good, very cool idea, sets up tensions. I do have one question. When they are working with others and preaching their purity ideals, do they take matters into their own hands if their message is ignored? Any fights over purity? Refusal to work with the impure? Could set up some cool ideas for tension here with the Wolves of the BAngels.

Also key amongst the Chapter's beliefs is a reverence of the Emperor and the loyal Primarchs; recongized as heroes whose purity allowed them to resist the ruinous powers, irrespective of the cost to themselves.

Recognized :) Perhaps Ruinous Powers should be Cap.? I dunno, seems formal-ish.

I really like these guys. Noticed a few spelling mistakes, and some Capitalization errors, as well as a couple questions I had, but overall very solid. Nicely written, and I definitely feel their disdain and hatred for the Ruinous Powers and those who follow them. Well done Ace.

The Red Lords hates Chaos more then any other chapter I know and as a writer you should feel proud to hear that as it is the goal of an IA to distinguish your chapter from others. With that being said I also think that the Red Lords are cowards for their combat doctrine. :confused:

Ok, had a fairly quick look and I’m commenting without properly reading everything the others have said so apologies if I’m bludgeoning you with stuff that’s already been considered! :D

My first thought is: Wow, you really do like to make things hard for yourself, don’t you Ace? White Scar Dwarves and now Raven Guard Artillerymen? ;)

Seriously, though, I think the reasoning of why they’ve changed their tactics is a little off? If it were me, I’d bring in some of the material from your Gene-seed section into the article earlier. It seems to me a more logical way to get to what you want i.e.

1. Raven Guard suffer multiple gene-seed flaws

2. A Captain, chosen to be CM of new Chapter, is obsessed with the purity of the seed, perhaps hoping that he could slow, one day even stop the degradation among his forces.

3. He brings in stringent measures in terms of purity testing in the recruitment process, thus immediately lowering the rate at which new Marines are added to the Chapter. Purity becomes one of the key values to the Chapter as a whole.

4. As the Chapter fights its first campaigns, it follows the tactics of the RG, but loses many warriors, perhaps including 1st CM?

5. Bring in Corwell, his decision is that to maintain his predecessor’s goal of protecting the Chapter’s gentic legacy, they must better protect the lives of their Marines.

6. He brings in the change to using artillery. It’s a controversial change, but he is an excellent orator and justifies his changes with the idea that the enemy, impure as they are, do not deserve to face them in combat. In a Chapter that is already very focussed on the concept of purity (see 3) it doesn’t take too much to convince them of this view.

7. ----------------

8. Profit! ;)

This just seems to me like a more logical progression?

By crikey!

I turn my back for five minutes a week, and look what happens!

Right, back to work. Let's see:

The Red Lords faced many insidious, secretive cults in their early days - enemies lurking within the heart of Imperial cities and forces, hiding like rats before the judgement of the Red Lords. Gradually, the chapter grew away from the ways of the Raven Guard, striking at targets boldly, almost daring their enemies to attack them in the open.

This is really good. Makes me think they are finding cults where none exist, almost like the Witch Hunts. I dunno if that was intended or not, but it's good.

Er... yeah! That was my plan all along! ;)

With Corwell's rise to power, he exercised his extraodinary charisma, winning all but a handful of the chapter completely to his ideals.

So what happened to dissenters? Astartes don't seem the type to let something they don't believe in go on without challenge. Did he convert them? Exile them? Destroy them?

I was thinking of leaving that to the reader's imagination. What do you think he did? :P

The tests run by the chapter last upwards of two years in total before a potential member is even inducted into the Tenth Company.

Purity: Check. Does this affect their ability to recoup losses after a bloody campaign? And do the Red Lords maintain a smaller than average Scout company because of this?

Yes they do. I've now added that.

The Red Lords often choose to fight in a way infrequently relied upon amongst Astartes, preferring sustained artillery attacks to cripple an enemy before closing to finish the attack against their targets.

This idea is pretty sweet, especially with your quote that enemies are unworthy to look upon the Red Lords. However, it raises a question or two.

1.) How to the Red Lords deal with hardened targets, or subterranean targets? Artillery is relatively useless here.

2.) How does this affect their ability to do battle when no artillery can be brought to bear, Space Hulks for instance? They are still Astartes and thus, still able to handle it just fine, but do they suffer morale issues? They are forced to allow the enemy to look upon them, sullying the Red Lords with their heretical gaze?

I'll try and answer both of these questions in the one go.

Artillery is the focus of the Red Lords' combat doctrine, sure, but it's not all they do. In much the same way Black Templars can still shoot people and Ultramarines can get in your face with the assault squads, the Red Lords have no problem mixing it up if they have to. If the heretics get to look on the face of their annihilation, then they're lucky heretics, and should thank the Emperor. Posthumously. ;)

Frequently the Red Lords will co-operate with any local Imperial Guard forces, particularly both by co-ordinating artillery strikes on enemy positions or by using the guardsmen as bait to draw enemies out for the Red Lords to destroy.

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense, is a contradiction. I doubt the Guardsmen consider it to be cooperation to be used as bait. Like wise, aside from using them as bait, I doubt the Red Lords would ever willingly rely on normal men, who they view as weak, fallible, fragile, and foolish. Bait I can definitely see, but never cooperation. Having to rely on normal men just doesn't seem like the Red Lords' game.

Good point.

Edited that section, mixed my ideas up a little.

The Red Lords see any deviation from the path they walk as risking corruption. When in co-operation with other Astartes, the Red Lords are quick to preach the worth of purity, although this advice is seldom acted upon, to the concern of the Red Lords.

This is good, very cool idea, sets up tensions. I do have one question. When they are working with others and preaching their purity ideals, do they take matters into their own hands if their message is ignored? Any fights over purity? Refusal to work with the impure? Could set up some cool ideas for tension here with the Wolves of the BAngels.

Could set up tension with everyone. ;)

I'm definitely shying away from the space-marine-in-fighting, though. I can't help but think I'd sell the other participant short, and it's too close to name dropping for me to go with.

I really like these guys. Noticed a few spelling mistakes, and some Capitalization errors, as well as a couple questions I had, but overall very solid. Nicely written, and I definitely feel their disdain and hatred for the Ruinous Powers and those who follow them. Well done Ace.

You'd better believe they hate all Chaos Marines. Especially the Rift Lords, though, for having the gall to share initials with the purest of the pure.

CKO: You'd call these guys cowards? Well, you're a braver man than I!

Besides, you're not meant to like everything about them... :D

Lysimachus: Well, if I don't make things difficult, where's the sense of accomplishment meant to come from?

I'm having a good think about your method of bringing in the big guns - it looks like a winner but might take a fair bit of rewriting. I'll probably throw a quick draft together next time I get chance and see how it looks.

Although I too am stuck on step 7. :)

-=-=

Alrighty, I updated the first post - many thanks to everyone who gave this IA a good scouring last time.

Hopefully what I've done this time is an improvement, and not just more mistakes to fix.

Got an opinion? Found a fault? Point it out and get gloating rights! :P

EDIT: Damn typos - I'd swear this keyboard's machine spirit is acting up...

EDIT EDIT:

My word, I'd spelt 'acting' 'cating' in that last sentence. Took months to find it, too.

Though the planet of Cestelion was almost completely purged, a few colonies of people who followed only the Emperor's truth remained. The same can be said of many planets in the Rucio system - here and there small colonies consisting solely of those found to be pure enough by the Red Lords cling to survival. It is from these colonies that the new recruits of the Red Lords are now drawn. Cestelion was a civilized world, with large, isolated cities. Between these are thick forests, rugged mountains, tundras and deserts, marking the planet as a superb site for the Red Lords to train new recruits. The native Cestelions, like many other surviving people in the Rucio System are a fairly hardy breed, made hardier by the stark reality of having to hunt for food and resources, since the destruction of most of the industrial cities by the Red Lords themselves when purging the System. These practices, along with the close monitoring of the planets by the Red Lords for signs of impurity, make the Rucio System an ideal ground from which to draw young recruits. However, the number of recruits who successfully complete the training is relatively small, thanks in part to the diminished populations of their native worlds. This is compounded by the fact that the Red Lords are exceedingly thorough in their selection of potential members. The tests run by the chapter last upwards of two years in total before a potential member is even inducted into the Tenth Company.

The population of Cestelion have learned to both revere and fear the Red Lords. Those who fail the chapter's intermittent purity checks are never seen again, and even those who pass such tests are frequently mind-wiped. There are literally thousands of rumours and stories whispered about the chapter - but not too loudly, lest the Red Lords hear them and deem the words impure. When the Red Lords come to recruit, however, the people of Cestelion organize competitions, under the instructions of the chapter, to see which children are most worthy of being recruited. After the Red Lords leave with the best available recruits, the population is permitted to celebrate modestly, and the Astartes and their new recruits return to their fortress monastery. The Fortress Monastery, known as the Red Crown, lies deep in the mountains. Only the Red Lords know it's precise location, and new recruits are transported there sedated, leaving them in the heart of unknown lands when they awake.

You need to hit the [Enter Key] one more time to separate these two paragraphs. I only point this out because it was the only issue I could find, and I had to add something. Plus, ya know, bragging rights and all... ;)

You need to hit the [Enter Key] one more time to separate these two paragraphs. I only point this out because it was the only issue I could find, and I had to add something. Plus, ya know, bragging rights and all... ;)

Spoooky. I went to edit that, and there was already a space there. :)

Oh well, it's fixed, at any rate. :P

D-D-D-DOUBLE POST!!

That doesn't entitle you to double bragging rights, though. :)

Right then.

I changed the name from Corwell to Vaulther, and dug out a typo in the process. :lol:

In regards to Lysimachus' idea for the progession from stealth to profit artillery, I'm still working on a version of the IA following that path, which is to say I haven't had chance to work on it outside of my mind the last few days. :D

Any more for any more? ;)

• 6 months later...
"The heretics do not deserve to look upon us. Have the Whirlwinds strike them down, Sergeant. Deny them that honour." - Chapter Master Mordrim Vaulther.

I think "...do not deserve to meet us in battle..." might work better.

"While meditating today, I remembered the place I came from. I remembered how the people quaked with fear at the thought of the Red Lords. To them, we are but distant, merciless angels." Seventh company Sergeant Ulthur Gatlock.

Like I said last time: this'd work a lot better with some punch at the end. "...quaked with fear at the thought of the Red Lords. So it should be." That sort of thing.

"If a thousand civilian lives must be spent so that a heretic dies, then that is simply the will of The Emperor." Chapter Master Mordrim Vaulther.

Try "If a thousand civilian lives must be lost so that a heretic dies, then those lives were well spent indeed."

Nice. Improved over the last version, which was still pretty good.

The writing could be tightened a little - you're a little wordy or awkward at different times. The other major point is that the possessive form of "it" is "its", not "it's".

Ah, the Red Lords. Another IA that I kept meaning to work on and then got distracted from by other, random ideas. :)

Nice. Improved over the last version, which was still pretty good.

The writing could be tightened a little - you're a little wordy or awkward at different times. The other major point is that the possessive form of "it" is "its", not "it's".

I think the highlighted part is probably the most accurate description of me anyone's ever given. :lol:

I think everything I write could be improved on, but generally I'm at a loss on how to do so.

In regards to your last point, I confess that's a gramatical weakness of mine - I don't know when to not use the apostrophe with that word.

Cheers for the C&C. I've updated the quotes a bit to hopefully give them a bit more bite.

It's = it is. That is all it ever means, and all it ever will mean.

Its = the thing belongs to it.

Now You Know.

I think everything I write could be improved on, but generally I'm at a loss on how to do so.

When boredom's call grows too loud, I'll show you.

That sounds like a threat, doesn't it.

Hmmm.

• 1 year later...

*Dusts off thread, with much coughing and spluttering*

Been a while since I looked at these guys. ^_^

Ok, so a thought struck me earlier today about these guys' homeworld, and it's something I can't make a decision on either way.

Instead of having a few clans or whatever survive the Purge of Cestelion, would it befit the character of the Red Lords more if they just purged the planet altogether?

On the one hand, what I've got now isn't a bad way of having a 'cut away the impure and spare the worthy' vibe, but if they just wipe out the population, it might show how far the Red Lords are willing to go in pursuit of their goals. It also makes them sound a bit more unhinged and well, dangerous.

In either case, I'm starting to think the majority of (or all, obviously) recruits should come from other planets - a Raven Guard successor shouldn't be so quick to limit where they recruit from, right?

It also gives me chance to have the Red Lords build an extensive Fortress Monastery out of a ruined city (sidebar material, I think!), which is a super-special-awesome mental image. :devil:

I could, however, use more opinions. ^_^

Is the Homeworld section alright as it is, or should I have another go at it?

I'd say go with the sidebar/fortress monastery. However, complete destruction of the peoples isn't necessary and to be honest committing Exterminatus on a planet feels like it's status quo for the Imperium, which wouldn't be what you're going for - that is, unhinged and dangerous, right?

Instead of that, why don't you have the Red Lords offer a chance of redemption for all the heretics, and they can find it in Hive X. If they come forward with information about other heretics, they given a better life in Hive X, and the heretics revealed are also taken and sent to the Hive. The Arbites scour out the few remaining cultists who haven't given themselves up or been betrayed.

Once Hive X is brimming with heretics, the Red Lords proceed to utterly destroy it and slaughter every man, woman and child inside. They then broadcast to the rest of the world (or better yet, the entire Imperium) something along the lines of "There is no forgiveness once you stray from the Emperor. You can only be purified in death." They then have population from the other hives build the Fortress Monastery on top of the destroyed Hive X, as a permenant reminder of purity through destruction.

Something for you to bounce around in your head :P Though if you don't use it though I most definitely will :D

I'd say go with the sidebar/fortress monastery. However, complete destruction of the peoples isn't necessary and to be honest committing Exterminatus on a planet feels like it's status quo for the Imperium, which wouldn't be what you're going for - that is, unhinged and dangerous, right?

I'm all for giving the Chapter an air of danger, but you raise a good point about exterminatus being a bit ho-hum and ordinary.

Instead of that, why don't you have the Red Lords offer a chance of redemption for all the heretics, and they can find it in Hive X. If they come forward with information about other heretics, they given a better life in Hive X, and the heretics revealed are also taken and sent to the Hive. The Arbites scour out the few remaining cultists who haven't given themselves up or been betrayed.

Once Hive X is brimming with heretics, the Red Lords proceed to utterly destroy it and slaughter every man, woman and child inside. They then broadcast to the rest of the world (or better yet, the entire Imperium) something along the lines of "There is no forgiveness once you stray from the Emperor. You can only be purified in death." They then have population from the other hives build the Fortress Monastery on top of the destroyed Hive X, as a permenant reminder of purity through destruction.

Something for you to bounce around in your head :D Though if you don't use it though I most definitely will :wacko:

Whilst I do like this idea, It doesn't really fit the Red Lords' idiom very well. They'd just start shelling places until they were satisfied the heretics didn't survive.

Using lies as a weapon against heresy would probably only cause outcries of impurity amongst the Red Lords' own ranks!

So... all yours, in other words. :P

Here's what I'm thinking, then.

Cestelion gets purged good 'n' proper. Most of the vast, corrupted cities are driven to ruin and those survivors deemed pure enough by the Red Lords are clustered together and moved to maybe one or two of the smaller cities where they can start their lives anew, free from corrupting influences.

The planet, then, is covered with the derelict shells of the once-mighty cities. Once shelter to thousands upon thousands whose minds were turning against the Emperor, now these cities are home only to the wild beasts that forage there, the odd feral former recruit and the occasional outcast from the clans of survivors.

The largest of these cities is eventually converted almost wholesale into the rahter spectacularly large fortress complex known as the Red Crown, which is essentially the Red Lords' Fortress Monastery plus an almost labyrinthian layout of thick walls, automated gun emplacements and batteries of larger ordinance.

The Red Lords recruit from anywhere that meets their rather exacting specifications (purity of soul being considered at least as important as physical strength, etc) and the recruits are brought to Cestelion. They are then dropped into one of the ruined cities and told to make their way to the Red Crown's gates. Those that do so get to be scouts and eventually Space Marines, etc etc.

Anyone think that'd work alright, or am I barking up totally the wrong tree with this idea?

So... all yours, in other words. :)

Yes! :D

Whilst I do like this idea, It doesn't really fit the Red Lords' idiom very well. They'd just start shelling places until they were satisfied the heretics didn't survive.

Using lies as a weapon against heresy would probably only cause outcries of impurity amongst the Red Lords' own ranks!

Alright, fair enough and I'll keep that in mind :D

Here's what I'm thinking, then.

'snip'

Anyone think that'd work alright, or am I barking up totally the wrong tree with this idea?

It sounds pretty awesome, I say go for it :tu: Maybe clarify if they still recruit from their fortress monastery planet though - I know you said anywhere but does anywhere include the people they had to put down?

Hey Ace!

I whole heartedly agree with you that the Red Lords wouldn't lie to manipulate heretics. I imagine them being quite an upright and honest bunch, albeit condescending, arrogant, and rude, but honest about it all the same.

I really, really, really like the idea you have about a labyrinth around the fortress monastery. If the labyrinth was appropriately enormous, just imagine it: You could have communities made up of the worlds first survivors living on the outside edges of the walls. Further in, closer to the fortress, there would be all sorts of nasty critters. In order to enter the chapter, young boys must trek through the maze to the fortress.

The Red Lords could even manipulate people into going towards the maze by keeping the land around it, and especially inside, fertile for crops and grazing animals. They could have also ruined land around the world with their orbital strikes (not quite full fledged exterminatus, but probably worse for the survivors who now have to live in a wasteland).

Curiously, why would feral former recruits be in the ruins of old cities? I read over the IA again, but maybe I missed something.

On a completely unrelated note, Ace, I don't know if you're settled on it, but I have to say that the color scheme you've chosen just looks off. There are too many shades of red going on. The different colored feet are just odd. If I could make a suggestion, I would go with a scheme like the Scythes of the Emperor or the Mentors: Gold chest, red arms and Legs, helmet either gold or red. However, you are the master of the Liber Heraldry Department, so if I'm out of line, just give the word :rolleyes: .

• 2 weeks later...
I whole heartedly agree with you that the Red Lords wouldn't lie to manipulate heretics. I imagine them being quite an upright and honest bunch, albeit condescending, arrogant, and rude, but honest about it all the same.

I think that's their style in a nutshell. :lol:

I really, really, really like the idea you have about a labyrinth around the fortress monastery. If the labyrinth was appropriately enormous, just imagine it: You could have communities made up of the worlds first survivors living on the outside edges of the walls. Further in, closer to the fortress, there would be all sorts of nasty critters. In order to enter the chapter, young boys must trek through the maze to the fortress.

The Red Lords could even manipulate people into going towards the maze by keeping the land around it, and especially inside, fertile for crops and grazing animals. They could have also ruined land around the world with their orbital strikes (not quite full fledged exterminatus, but probably worse for the survivors who now have to live in a wasteland).

That would be cool, but I don't really want people living on the edges of the labyrinth, to be honest. ^_^

Dropping the recruits in the wild and making them trek over several thousand miles of harsh terrain (and abandoned cites that still stand as testament to the power of the Chapter's wrath) just to find the doors to the labyrinth (with attendant chaplain/master of recruits/senior serf waiting to take them to their new life as a space marine) would make a pretty sweet recruitment test. Those that fail never make it to the labyrinth would either die or become feral hunters who do whatever it takes to survive, often sheltering in the cities and so forth.

Curiously, why would feral former recruits be in the ruins of old cities? I read over the IA again, but maybe I missed something.

I should have said feral failed recruits, for the reasons above. My mistake! ^_^

On a completely unrelated note, Ace, I don't know if you're settled on it, but I have to say that the color scheme you've chosen just looks off. There are too many shades of red going on. The different colored feet are just odd. If I could make a suggestion, I would go with a scheme like the Scythes of the Emperor or the Mentors: Gold chest, red arms and Legs, helmet either gold or red. However, you are the master of the Liber Heraldry Department, so if I'm out of line, just give the word :lol: .

My preferred colour schemes tend towards the eclectic, it's true. :D

I'll revisit the colourscheme once I'm settled on the homeworld and recruitment stuff, I think.

Alright Ace. However, the Red Lords need to have recruits first. Unless the Red Lords run interviews on every world they campaign through with a human population, I think it's a safe bet that the majority of Red Lords will be native to the home world.

There needs to be some motivating factor to drive children towards the Fortress Monastery. If you run things Hunger Games style, promising rewards to the communities that offer worthy recruits, able to trek through the labyrinth, that could work. It even makes sense from a genetic prospective: Communities which sire able bodied boys are given the resources to sire more able bodied boys for the Red Lords.

I think making the journey to even get to the maze a continental trip is already a feat. Forcing them to go through that and a maze is insane, and I wouldn't see the Red Lords lasting very long. As I said, if the labyrinth is appropriately huge, then even if there are communities around the labyrinth, then it wouldn't make much of a difference. Hive cities are huge. The labyrinth could be built through the ruins of the city if you still want to keep that angle. Hell, you could have smaller fortresses with transport in the center to the Red Crown, expanding the Chapter's ability to recruit. Feral people could live in the labyrinths, half starved, driven mad by all sorts of monsters. The Chapter could even periodically release beasties to keep the people on the outskirts.

The Red Lords can be as cruel as you want them to be. Don't make them so stupid that they expect prepubescent boys to go around the world in 80 days.

The Red Lords can be as cruel as you want them to be. Don't make them so stupid that they expect prepubescent boys to go around the world in 80 days.

Which would be a brilliant argument, except not once did I say the recruits have to go through the labyrinth as part of the trial. :huh:

The labyrinth has always intended purely as a huge defensive structure built around the fortress monastery; making the recruits trek across wilderness and through deserted cities to find the Red Crown is definitely enough (and a super-kickass mental image, I might add ^_^ ) of a trial!

Archived