Return of the Primarchs

ForTheLion

I hate the pace of the story for 40k. I am not suggesting that GW go the route of FASA and have major timeline changes every 3 months (i dont know if many of you recall the pace of game changes in battle tech, but it got fairly brutal before MS bought it out). But SOME kind of story advancement would be nice.

I was imagining something like:

Cadia falls and the Xth black crusade is actually advancing on terra, AND

Armageddon is reduced to rubble and Ghaz's boyz are growing and conquering in uncontrollable numbers, AND

A Nid Tendril is advancing equally fast upon terra, AND

Some uber necron thingy is making the dead guys wake up all over, AND

Some the Chaos Gods open a new rift that streams demons thru AND

Perhaps something massive happens with Eldar/DE/Tau to give them the numbers and ability to make huge advancements on the interstellar maps.

All these things happening at the same time allows the primachs + Emperor to come back JUST to hold on to humanity, rather then to start a new crusade and crush everyone else. This allows for a even GRIMMER Grimdark then they currently have.

But my primary concern at the moment is that they are content to sit where they are UNTIL all the HH novels are finished (which is probably 3+ years away), and have all this stuff happen when they wanna drag out 6th edition.

I think dragionstorm has the right idea, makes the plot more realistic than humanity vanquishing all it's enemies and starting to re conquer the Galaxy. Personally the most realistic outcome i can see is Humanity becoming extinct and demons and nids slaughtering the rest of the galaxy before Nids lead by the hive mind destroy chaos pearmenantly due to the hive minds ability to disrupt the warp. Another idea is that all races war with each other, with Humanity surviving by the Skin of its teeth, all the primarchs die during the battle with Chaos. Demon Primarchs killed by regular primarchs and vice versa. Then humanity has to hold on with a much smaller empire than it has at the moment and far less men protecting it. Mean while Chaos rebuilds and more nids arrive at the edges of the galaxy. More necrons awaken along with the void dragon which probably destroys mars and the mecanicum. Eldar return to their fleets to plan how there going to save the galaxy again. Space marines now much fewer in numbers go back to whatever it is that Space marines do. Abaddon goes back home crying again and every bodys happy <_<

Right now humanity is not Vanquishing all it enemies. Thats the problem. Thare at least 6 major suck all the resources we can get conflicts ongoing including Armagedon and the 13th black crusade as well as countless smaller and equally resource drainging conflicts. Humanity is not dying from paper cuts; shes hemorraging men and resorces and a terrifying rate. The monolithic nature of the Imperium is in part created by the vast amount of time it takes to get anywhere. This alone garrenties the pace of change will be slow. If humanity is to survive it will only be by the skin of its teeth and will require a near miraculus intervention.

Then they'd turn to the Eye of Terror to finish what Horus started.

If you care about whether your troops randomly mutate, lose their sanity, or switch to the dark side, the Eye becomes unassailable. That's a great strength of Chaos. The cost of attacking their strongholds is too high, and you wouldn't want a daemon planet even if you could conquer it.

That didn't stop russ from taking a company of Space Wolves into the eye for whatever reason.

If Russ knew what we know about Chaos, he was an idiot for doing that. If not, he was simply a fool. The likelihood Russ is still (a) alive, (:D sane, © not irretrievably lost, (d) not possessed, and (e) suffers no significant mutation is vanishingly small. There is another possible reason we haven't heard from him: he turned and is now a daemon prince. Wouldn't that be a kick in the gut to the Imperium!

That didn't stop russ from taking a company of Space Wolves into the eye for whatever reason.

If Russ knew what we know about Chaos, he was an idiot for doing that. If not, he was simply a fool. The likelihood Russ is still (a) alive, (:whoops: sane, © not irretrievably lost, (d) not possessed, and (e) suffers no significant mutation is vanishingly small. There is another possible reason we haven't heard from him: he turned and is now a daemon prince. Wouldn't that be a kick in the gut to the Imperium!

Actually, thats just it. The Curse of the Wulfen isn't really a curse, its a defense mechanism. Against Chaos. For a wolf to betray his brethren the wulfen has to go along with it, otherwise the SW turns into the wulfen and is no longer sane enough to turn to chaos. Also, instead of mutating, the 13th just started to turn into wulfen. Wulfen dont mutate, and they really don't like chaos. So it is quite likely Russ and company are still hunting traitor scum in their own backyard. That may be the reason why some of the traitor primarchs haven't shown their ugly faces since the heresy; their skulls are hanging from Russ's belt.

Russ didn't go with the 13th company when the persued the Thousand Sons into the warp. He vanished 60 years later having had a vision during the feast of the Emperors Acenscion. I've heard of two different reasons why he left.

Firstly to locate the tree of life to restore the Emperor. Secondly he heard of the the disappearance of some of his brother Primarchs (The Lion/Khan) and went seeking them. He took all of his retainers bar one (Bjorn the Fell handed) so could be running round with several hundred SWs

Back to the original post The Space Wolves have always believed that Russ will return "For the Wolftime", but having read the Space Wolf novels and seeing the political side of being a Wolf Lord I'm not sure how they will react to the return of the original Alpha Male :D

Who else thinks that the when/if Russ returns first thing he'll do is get the beer out? Just kidding Space wolf players, don't kill me :D

Does anyone know which one of the Alpha Legion primarchs are dead? One was supposedly killed by Gulliman so i was wondering which one did die?

The evidence given that Alpharius (or Omegan) was killed by Guilliman isn't exactly concrete, and not all Imperial authorities believe it. If it was true, we don't know which Primarch was killed. Most of the Alpha Legion is surronded by mystery (actually near enough all of it).

The evidence given that Alpharius (or Omegan) was killed by Guilliman isn't exactly concrete, and not all Imperial authorities believe it. If it was true, we don't know which Primarch was killed. Most of the Alpha Legion is surronded by mystery (actually near enough all of it).

Not to mention that if "Legion" by Dan Abnett is to be considered canon, Alpharius/Omegon used doubles extensively. The ceremony on Nurth, for example, had one of the Legion Astartes play the part of Alpharius, and fooling pretty much everyone except for John Grammaticus (if I recall correctly). Which means that if anyone was actually killed by Guilliman, there is a good chance that it was a double... it sounds very little like Alpharius to actually risk open combat unless absolutely necessary. So if I were a betting man, my money would be on both Alpharius and Omegon still at large.

Not to mention that if "Legion" by Dan Abnett is to be considered canon, Alpharius/Omegon used doubles extensively. The ceremony on Nurth, for example, had one of the Legion Astartes play the part of Alpharius, and fooling pretty much everyone except for John Grammaticus (if I recall correctly). Which means that if anyone was actually killed by Guilliman, there is a good chance that it was a double... it sounds very little like Alpharius to actually risk open combat unless absolutely necessary. So if I were a betting man, my money would be on both Alpharius and Omegon still at large.

Of course, if they are both at large we don't know what they are doing. IIRC the Alpha Legion didn't flee into the Eye of Terror. The main question is, has Alpharius/Omegan descended properly into Chaos, or are they still loyal to the Emperor depsite being Excommunicate (much like the Soul Drinkers)? Perhaps these attacks on the Imperium is them trying to undermine an Imperium the Emperor never envisaged? We just don't know, although if they did appear once more in Primarch form (not Daemon Princes), I wouldn't trust them.

No the fluff behind Roboute Killing Alpharius/Omegon isnt concrete but alot of fluff isnt. Anyway I think he would know while dueling him if it was the strength of a primarch or not. According to Lexicanum Roboute didnt use his usual procedure when he assaulted Alpharius/Omegon so it surprised him and maybe he didnt realize how much danger he put himself in.

That may be the reason why some of the traitor primarchs haven't shown their ugly faces since the heresy; their skulls are hanging from Russ's belt.

It's well known that daemons in realspace have but a fraction of their true might. If you thought Angron was tough at Armageddon, wait till you seem him in person in the Eye!

I don't think all the promises of Chaos are empty. The daemon primarchs really are vastly more powerful than any mortal, including a Primarch. I don't think it would be much trouble at all for Magnus to dispatch Russ.

That depends on how much a boost a normal primarch would get from the warp. We know they all had at least latent psykic talent. And theres the question of how much help the Emperor could give in his current state. From the older fluff we know his soul does battle with the forces of chaos daily in the warp. If he has gathered to him self the fallen warrionrs of the the imperium and thoughs like Russ who have willingly entered the warp to fight Chaos he could have a massive army there waiting. Who knows maybe he has even figured out how to boost his chosen champions. Kinda making them anti deamon princes.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One thing i think a lot of people dont give much notice is Sanguinius.

what i mean by this is if you think of how the emperor was created, he waz made by thousands of shamans(damn powerful phykers) killing themsleves to give humanity a chance by giving it a leader it needed.

my theory on Sanguinius is that as said by some fluff, the Sanguinor is basically the noble side of the angel while the black rage is his anger, i think that the primarchs all of them have several of these shamans inside of em, which gives credence to the idea that they can be reborn.

One thing i think a lot of people dont give much notice is Sanguinius.

what i mean by this is if you think of how the emperor was created, he waz made by thousands of shamans(damn powerful phykers) killing themsleves to give humanity a chance by giving it a leader it needed.

my theory on Sanguinius is that as said by some fluff, the Sanguinor is basically the noble side of the angel while the black rage is his anger, i think that the primarchs all of them have several of these shamans inside of em, which gives credence to the idea that they can be reborn.

The shaman thing is debatable as a creation myth for the Emperor. I doubt there will ever be a solid establishment of just how he came into being.

Look, as far as i'm concerned the whole thing will end something like Rise of the Tau does, and no i'm not going to state how so not to spoil the ending. But that's assuming it ends well for anyone. If it doesn't, then kiss anything which isn't pure evil the 40K universe good bye.

Also, yes Sanguinius is dead. But it's thought by some people that the Black Rage is a form of demonic possession by an aspect of the primarch into those who carry his blood. He lives on so long as someone's got his gene seed in them.

But he's not going to come back.

Now Dorn, Vulkan or Ferrus Manus on the other hand...

Archived