IA: The Stonebound

Ace Debonair

Hmmm something that hit me to get a dwarf theme without being impractical, is having a clan heraldry or something, and perhaps they have to forge a coat of chainmail to wear in the fortress decorated with their coat of arms. Kind of go with the clan aspect of dwarves rather than the drinking and forging as that might work better. Let me know if that works better for ya.

Perhaps it's just the word 'tribal' hanging me up.

The more I look at it, the more I realise 'tribes' isn't quite right anyway. I'll probably change it around a bit, see if that works better. I'm looking for a fairly primitive sort of society, probably equivalent to a feudal world, with enough people in each group to fill maybe a modern day city, and a fair few of them are blacksmiths by trade.

I completely get what Sig is saying here. Probably a really simple fix would be to just go through the article and wherever it says 'tribe' just replace it with 'clan'? I don't know about anyone else but that then would suggest a slightly more established cultural structure, more feudal world than feral world? Might be the easiest way to solve the problem!

Also, I was bored and had a minute or two spare so I thought I'd knock up an idea of what I was talking about before with the intro paragraph (yep, I really don't have anything better to do than sit and think about other peoples IA's. Honestly, I do have a life, I really do... :D )

F
erocious on the attack, intractably stubborn in defence, The Stonebound Chapter of the Adeptus Astartes are famed for their grim and unyielding service to the Emperor of Mankind. With skill, unbreakable determination and quiet pride, they have fought His enemies and protected His subjects for millennia, and are resolved that they shall continue to do so forever.

It's only a bit of brainstorming really so as always, feel free to use all/some/none of it!

cheers

Lysimachus

IG PC 28/40

Edited by Strike Captain Lysimachus

Lysimachus, you are the man.

Do you ever get tired of writing such cool stuff? :)

I noticed when re-reading the IA before, I've managed to edit out my favourite bit, the line about being "Stonebound evermore" when inducted into the chapter.

I might work that into the opening bit somehow, (or more likely sqash it back into the article, but it's worth a shot.) I also think I might try to play it a little more... mystic in regard to their attitude when I go through the IA again.

Er, what I mean by that, is I'm planning on having them place great importance on fairly ordinary things. Maintanence of weapons and armour will be almost a formalized ritual, particularly before and after battle. I'm also thinking I might formalize the post-battle celebrations a bit. I'm thinking they'll invite any outstanding warriors they've fought alongside, be they Guardsman or Astarte. The Stonebound will have formal toasts to the victory and those who died, then generally break into smaller groups for personal toasts and honours. It'll be one of those things that anyone outside of the Chapter will be a bit perplexed by, like playing a game when you don't know the rules. ;)

Good idea or bad? I'm happy to hear any views on this.

My Stonebound have no such thing! Ah, the Space Wolves, yes, of course. :P

The Stonebound could get drunk very easily. They could have a more potent ale, a genetic defect, or possibly they could just drink the Space Wolves under the table. :D

That said, the idea of them swigging a lot of ale and it not having any real effect on them would be even more unsettling for non-astartes, so that works much better for me.

Alrighty, Ace, let's see what I can do you for, seeing as how my brain has run completely dry on the Death Heads :) ;) !

The Stonebound could get drunk very easily. They could have a more potent ale, a genetic defect, or possibly they could just drink the Space Wolves under the table.

Think of this in the context you like. Space Wolves drink to celebrate, not just for kicks. Just having them celebrate after victories would get some of the tone you're after.

Maintanence of weapons and armour will be almost a formalized ritual, particularly before and after battle.

Interesting, and it could work. Nomads had to maintain their equipment, didn't exactly set down and start working.

I'm thinking they'll invite any outstanding warriors they've fought alongside, be they Guardsman or Astarte. The Stonebound will have formal toasts to the victory and those who died, then generally break into smaller groups for personal toasts and honours.

While Guardsmen would probably feel blessed to be in the presence in demigods, how would the Stone Bound react to another Space Marine declining the request?

Dwarves are notoriously short tempered from all of the fiction I've read, how do your marines hold to this?

Drop me a PM when you edit the IA and I'll comb through it again.

Alrighty, Ace, let's see what I can do you for, seeing as how my brain has run completely dry on the Death Heads ;) :P !

The Stonebound could get drunk very easily. They could have a more potent ale, a genetic defect, or possibly they could just drink the Space Wolves under the table.

Think of this in the context you like. Space Wolves drink to celebrate, not just for kicks. Just having them celebrate after victories would get some of the tone you're after.

Er, didn't I already? Bah! I need to practice my psychic powers so I can write my IA with my mind. Much easier not to leave bits out then. :lol:

Also, I do not intend for the Stonebound to get drunk. Ever. I was just explaining how they could get drunk. :D

I'm thinking they'll invite any outstanding warriors they've fought alongside, be they Guardsman or Astarte. The Stonebound will have formal toasts to the victory and those who died, then generally break into smaller groups for personal toasts and honours.

While Guardsmen would probably feel blessed to be in the presence in demigods, how would the Stone Bound react to another Space Marine declining the request?

Dwarves are notoriously short tempered from all of the fiction I've read, how do your marines hold to this?

Request? What request? :P

I suppose reaction would vary depending on the marine. If there was a good reason (ie another fight,) then the Stonebound would be honour-bound to pay back their courageous allies, and have the celebration after that. If they just don't want to be part of it, then perhaps the Stonebound would take offence somewhat - certainly they'd not be as open to whichever chapter it was. If I mention this in the IA, I might make mention that guests have got away without drinking much, just the toast to victory and the toast to those who died, and maybe one more for luck if they like.

(Sidenote: Stonebound is one word. ;) )

Drop me a PM when you edit the IA and I'll comb through it again.

Can do. No problem. I might be a few days though, what with real life slowing me down and all that.

I suppose reaction would vary depending on the marine. If there was a good reason (ie another fight,) then the Stonebound would be honour-bound to pay back their courageous allies, and have the celebration after that. If they just don't want to be part of it, then perhaps the Stonebound would take offence somewhat - certainly they'd not be as open to whichever chapter it was. If I mention this in the IA, I might make mention that guests have got away without drinking much, just the toast to victory and the toast to those who died, and maybe one more for luck if they like.

Why don't you have a sidebar or some such detailing an instance when another Astartes Chapter does refuse the Stonebound's offer of hospitality. This way you can give readers a bit of insight of what could happen without having to feel like you're forcing it into the rest of your IA. Maybe?

Righto.

I'll work on that after the weekend, hopefully.

I also need to change how long it takes the Stonebound to build their fortress monastery, as I've just read it would take rather longer than two years. :tu:

Maybe they can get the essentials up in the first couple of years, or I could just exchange two for twenty and have done. Anyone got any opinions?

Within two years, the Chapter had built their Fortress Monastery, the Ka'hagul, or 'World-Fortress', deep in one of the largest stone caverns, and Baines had named them the Stonebound. The Chapter, by the end of its second year on Kagara, had adapted to the world marvellously, and had taken in their first generation of recruits with acceptable levels of losses.

Trouble is if you just change 2 to 20, it sounds odd saying 'after 20 years' then 'by the end of it's second year' straight after. Might make the most sense to reword the paragraph, turn it around to something like:

By the end of its second year on Kagara, the Chapter had adapted to the world marvellously, taking in their first generation of recruits with acceptable levels of losses, and Baines had named them the Stonebound. Within twenty years, they had built their Fortress Monastery, the Ka'hagul, or 'World-Fortress', deep in one of the largest stone caverns.

actually that would probably cover the 'essentials in the first couple of years' bit too...

Also, I had been planning to offer my Emperor's Blade for the sidebar (as I could see them being the ascetic, abstinent types who might refuse to share a drink on religious grounds) but Kaelgrim got there first so that's ok! :tu:

Lysimachus

IG PC 29/40

Edited by Strike Captain Lysimachus

Well, of course when I said 'just' change 2 for 20, I meant all the other changes that would incur as well.

Although in fairness I probably wouldn't have noticed them until someone pointed them out. :sweat:

I'm sure the Stonebound have fought alongside more than one chapter who has politely declined the offer of a victory drink. :lol:

I'll hopefully get the sidebar sorted out within this week, but I can't make any promises.

I'm sure the Stonebound have fought alongside more than one chapter who has politely declined the offer of a victory drink.

That made me wonder how my chapters would react. The Bloodsworn would simply ignore you and leave, probably. The Blazing Sons would definetly have a drink and get trashed, then go on crusade all hung-over next morning :sweat:.

The Corsairs would probably have that look that people give you when they aren't sure of your intentions,

ie: *Narrows eyes, looking between the marine and the offered drink*, though whether they would partake is another matter. I'd think probably not, given their cultural origins.

It's funny how sometimes someone elses IA can give you ideas or thoughts on your own chapters. Thanks for that moment of contemplation Ace! :lol:

I'm sure the Stonebound have fought alongside more than one chapter who has politely declined the offer of a victory drink.

That made me wonder how my chapters would react. The Bloodsworn would simply ignore you and leave, probably. The Blazing Sons would definetly have a drink and get trashed, then go on crusade all hung-over next morning :rolleyes:.

The Corsairs would probably have that look that people give you when they aren't sure of your intentions,

ie: *Narrows eyes, looking between the marine and the offered drink*, though whether they would partake is another matter. I'd think probably not, given their cultural origins.

It's funny how sometimes someone elses IA can give you ideas or thoughts on your own chapters. Thanks for that moment of contemplation Ace! ;)

That's four chapters that would turn down the offer and one that would accept. B) Damn it, I don't drink in real life, and I'd give it some serious consideration.

Speaking as a lifelong pro wrestling fan, does anyone remember what happened when people turned down the chance to have a drink in the ring with Stone Cold Steve Austin? :lol: (I am so going to have a Captain Aus'tarn in my sidebar :D )

Expect the Stonebound to be only marginally politer - declining the invitation would be directly proportional to a slap in the honour.

GHY, I actually expected the Bloodsworn would have more of a "No thanks. Why don't you drink one for me while I go pray and meditate on your behalf?" attitude. B)

It's a minor point, but I expect the Red Lords and the Stonebound would not be very friendly at all. No self-respecting Red Lord would ever consider drinking alchohol. The Infinity Knights, Steel Dragons and maybe the Twilight Talons would all be more likely to go along with the drinking than decline it.

On a more focused note, the name of the Chaos warband the "Nightmare's Claws" needs a new name, because that one is no longer working for me. I'll consider any suggested alternatives that don't have the name 'Nightmare' in them, if anyone has one. :P

The Creature Features?

No, wait, sorry that's incredibly silly. :blush:

GHY, I actually expected the Bloodsworn would have more of a "No thanks. Why don't you drink one for me while I go pray and meditate on your behalf?" attitude

Maybe, but I haven't quite worked out their attitude towards others yet. I'd say they are incredibly insular, really. As such an invitation would either be politely turned down at best or completely ignored at worst.

The Corsairs might celebrate, but not in the same way I'd geuss. Recipe for disaster these two are, in recreation at least.

Hmm, onto names. Do they have to be similar to the original name or anything? There are your really generic ones like:

Kaxgar's Rippers, Blood ventriliquists, Dark Sons, Black Lords, etc etc or something perhaps a little bit more inspired. And perhaps a few less silly ones thrown in while I'm feeling a bit silly. ;)

The Creature Features?

Kaxgar's Rippers, Blood ventriliquists, Dark Sons, Black Lords, etc etc or something perhaps a little bit more inspired. And perhaps a few less silly ones thrown in while I'm feeling a bit silly. :)

I'll now consider nearly any suggestion without Nightmare in the title. :blush:

I'm going to be doing an IT for the warband one day and I have some nearly-unique ideas lined up, but leaving 'Nightmare' in the title will be seriously over-theming the ideas I have. Black Lords would be a great name if it wasn't for the fact the Red Lords would peer over their half-moon spectacles (the officers have some for occasions like this) at me if I used it.

I'd say more about the ideas I have, since I'm painfully aware that it'll help others come up with good names... But I don't want the Stonebound IA to be given over to discussion about my warband idea. ;)

OK, here's what I've got so far for the sidebar. It's probably too big, and too rambling, but I'll post it here so folks can see what I'm getting at.

-=-=

The Defence of Ivenix

Ivenix, a mountainous world near the Helican Subsector, in Segmentum Obscuras, was besieged by an Ork warhost. The Stonebound's battle barge Ni'halm, carrying the Second and Third companies, recieved a request for assistance from the Frost Wyrms Third Company, who were besieged inside the largest Imperial city on the planet. The Stonebound deployed to the field rapidly, hitting the Ork army from the side and giving the Frost Wyrms the chance to escape the city and mount their own offensive against the greenskins. In true Stonebound fashion, a feast was set up after the decimation of the green horde and casks of ancient Kagaran ale broached.

Captain Vigus Darwin of the Frost Wyrms stood surveying the battlefield. Greenskin corpses were being piled in a great heap and burned by the Stonebound, who laughed and called to each other in their own guttural language. Another voice boomed out behind him.

"Captain Darwin! Your men fought like Gor'da today - strong and swift. Come, join our feast as a guest of honour. We have the finest food and ale with which to honour the dead and the brave!" Darwin turned to the speaker, removing his helmet as he did so.

"I have to tell you, Captain Aus'tarn, that my men and I do not usually indulge in such frivolous behaviour as feasting after a battle. I must decline your offer." Captain Aus'tarn's expression grew thunderous.

"What's this? We come to war to aid you, in the names of honour and brotherhood! And this is how you behave in return?"

"My men and I must stay focused. There are defences to be built in case of another attack. And after that, we must return to the Wyrm-hearth."

"I see." Aus'tarn's expression grew grimmer still as he spoke. "It is misfortune to not honour the victory and those who died today. After the feast, my men and I will assist you - but then we must part ways." Aus'tarn added sternly, clearly unsatisfied with Darwin's decision. Darwin nodded to him and turned to his men, barking orders. Aus'tarn stared after him for a long moment, then turned back to his brothers, raising his flagon high. "To honour, brotherhood and The Emperor!"

As a minor matter of note, within a month Ivenix was attacked again by Orks, and in the conflict that followed Captain Darwin lost both of his legs - an occurence that sparked much speculation amongst his men.

-=-=

Any good?

Speaking as a lifelong pro wrestling fan, does anyone remember what happened when people turned down the chance to have a drink in the ring with Stone Cold Steve Austin? <_< (I am so going to have a Captain Aus'tarn in my sidebar :D )

I feel that I need to break some glass, say the line "Business is about to pick up" and then start screaming "Stunner! Stunner! Stunner!" over and over again.

I must say Ace, that's a great sidebar you've written there. I love it and I am usually rather picky about 'narrative' elements in IA's. Really well done.

These guys are a very likeable bunch while still being Space Marines, not an easy task usually. They are a chapter the Blazing Sons could get on well with, given their Saxon cultural heritage. ;)