IA: The Stonebound

Ace Debonair

It's an ice hockey joke... Detroit Redwings, with Federov a player who is the teams Captain.

Ah, enlightenment. :rolleyes:

Anyway. Since I don't have any interest in keeping that name any more, I'll change it. I'm a bit short of ideas, though, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. :(

the "Gargoyles" - stone based creatures of legend, rumoured to be terrifying.

If you want a dwarf reference, the Ironbreakers are an obvious one.

Or the Company of Fourteen. You remember that old fable about the thirteen Stonebound and one Raven Guard who went on a glorious quest under the tutelage of Tigurius, right? :rolleyes:

How about some of these names:

The Ka'hagul Guard (or Wardens)

The Shieldbearers

Long Beards ;)

I used to really like Dwarf background story, shame I can't offer much else!

The Hammerers - Prefered weapon is the Thunder Hammer!

Not very keen on that...though it's just me and you're the mighty God-Emperor :P

Edited by Battle-Brother Ludovic

Shieldbearers sounds quite good, could have some big axe(counts-as TH)/storm shield TDA veterans. Also like Ironbreakers.

Also, I remembered something from a book I read a few years ago (Legend by David Gemell) a battle chant from one of the races in it, the Nadir, I think it went something like:

"Nadir we,

Youth born,

Axe wielders,

Blood letters,

Victors still."

I always thought the quote would be a good one to use in an IA to add a bit of flavour, and it just struck me that it might be really appropriate for the Stonebound, y'know 'axe wielders', etc...

Shieldbearers sounds quite good, could have some big axe(counts-as TH)/storm shield TDA veterans. Also like Ironbreakers.

Also, I remembered something from a book I read a few years ago (Legend by David Gemell) a battle chant from one of the races in it, the Nadir, I think it went something like:

"Nadir we,

Youth born,

Axe wielders,

Blood letters,

Victors still."

I always thought the quote would be a good one to use in an IA to add a bit of flavour, and it just struck me that it might be really appropriate for the Stonebound, y'know 'axe wielders', etc...

Not only are you correct about the quote, you should also read more Gemmell! :D Interestingly, the Nadir wern't known for using axes - which was commented upon on occasion.

Edited by Captain Juan Juarez

Or the Company of Fourteen. You remember that old fable about the thirteen Stonebound and one Raven Guard who went on a glorious quest under the tutelage of Tigurius, right? :P

Remember it? Buddy, the words of that story are inscribed on the walls of the Ka'hagul, in the corner above my bed. ;)

But since I want more than 14 marines in my First Company, I might save that for something else. :D

Damn, that's a lot of names to pick from - I didn't expect so many responses! :P

Liking Shieldbearers as a first company name, though. Cheers for the suggestion Reyner.

The poem-type-thing is... interesting, but since I haven't read those books it wouldn't make much sense for me to use it.

I guess if I ever write one of the Stonebound's sagas I can use it as a guideline, though. ;)

I'll add in the name changes for the Nightmare's Claws (assuming I decide on something by then :tu: ) and the First Company once I work out what else needs altering.

Redwings indeed.

Well, what about something less overtly dwarf-ripoffish?

Hearth Warriors or Hearth Men.

Hearth because a Theign would take these men in as members of his own household to 'share his hearth' or his fire basically. It was mighty cold back then in northern europe, especially in just leathers and furs I'd imagine.

Referenced as a Saxon Lords most loyal and skilled troops. They were the best equipped veteran warriors available to a Saxon Theign, Housecarls in Saxon Britain, fond of using the double handed axe at that stage.

I suggest them simply because it sounds a little better and still retains the northern european and nordic heritage that the Dwarfs are created from.

It was a random thought, perhaps a better name than Hearth Warriors, it's not exactly the most succinct or concise of names, or roll that easily off the tongue. Mind you, not much in dwarfish does either! ;)

Referenced as a Saxon Lords most loyal and skilled troops. They were the best equipped veteran warriors available to a Saxon Theign, Housecarls in Saxon Britain, fond of using the double handed axe at that stage.

I suggest them simply because it sounds a little better and still retains the northern european and nordic heritage that the Dwarfs are created from.

It was a random thought, perhaps a better name than Hearth Warriors, it's not exactly the most succinct or concise of names, or roll that easily off the tongue. Mind you, not much in dwarfish does either! :lol:

Why, I'm from Britain! :)

Perhaps if I 'Dwarvish' up that word a little.. something like 'Hus'cans' or H'cahls' or similar.

Or just straightforward rip it off and just use Housecarls (or even Huscarls, as one of my old medieval games used to put it.) - right sort of feel, I think, even if not strictly a Dwarvish thing in and of itself.

It was a random thought, perhaps a better name than Hearth Warriors, it's not exactly the most succinct or concise of names, or roll that easily off the tongue. Mind you, not much in dwarfish does either! :lol:

Why, I'm from Britain! :)

Perhaps if I 'Dwarvish' up that word a little.. something like 'Hus'cans' or H'cahls' or similar.

Or just straightforward rip it off and just use Housecarls (or even Huscarls, as one of my old medieval games used to put it.) - right sort of feel, I think, even if not strictly a Dwarvish thing in and of itself.

I still like Hearthguard... :P

Captain D'ain Maurak looked into the single eye of the ancient marine who had called into question the honour of his chapter. Picking up the iron gauntlet, he considered his words carefully. "You have seen much battle, my brother. Your armour tells me, as clearly as your words, that you are an honourable warrior; but to question my chapter's worth is an error in judgement." D'ain stood proud and tall, crashing his hand againt his chest, accompanied by the rustling jingle of his mail hauberk. "We are the Stonebound - let me tell you of our saga."

Firstly, I think you would prosper by adopting Discworld style conventions for surnames. Much more Dwarfy.

Also, I still don't like this passage. It just bugs me. Sorry. :D

Battle-brothers of the Stonebound chapter. Company is denoted by the number on the knee, and the chapter's insignia is two grey axes in the form of a diagonal cross, blades facing outwards. The marine on the right is a member of the chapter's First Company, the Redwings.

Hearth Guard, Iron Guard, Ironshields, Redshields...

"...They called us 'Stone Giants', for nothing their weapons could do could hurt us. Had we come to wage war, I would think nothing of it, and slain them like any other enemy. But the name has... appeal. We Astartes, bound in armour as enduring as the stone on which we stand..."

From the saga of Alar Baines, Grand Captain of the Stonebound.

Stone Men. Stone Giants drags us off in the direction of "big". Which is very undwarfy. :)

Created in the Sixth Founding from the gene-seed of Jaghatai Khan via the Red Sabres, the Chapter that would come to be known as the Stonebound were assigned to the Segmentum Pacificus to combat the threat of ever increasing Ork incursions. A cadre of Red Sabres veterans would train them for a time, overseeing the maturation of their first five generations of recruits, then return to their home Chapter. Alar Baines was the leader of this cadre, but would not claim the position of Chapter Master, insisting that his role was only to mentor the Chapter for a short time. He instead took up the title of Grand Captain.

Khan is not a dwarfy kinda guy. For appropriate levels of Dwarfdom, I'd say you want Ferrus Manus (technical capacity, weird self-flagellating tendencies, etc).

One of the problems, as I go through again, is that you give them a very un-dwarfish speed. Dwarves are tenacious, they're well-armed, they're well-armored, and they have great endurance. They're not quick.

Baines’ first task as leader of the fledgling Chapter was to find a world that they could call their home. This search lasted for several decades, but soon after his Marines made planetfall on the world known to the Imperium as Kagara, Baines knew that his quest had finally ended.

Expand slightly on the quest. Give it a bit of color in the middle. Have him run into some people with no heads and four arms or something. Or find a planet where all the women were in charge(!!!). Classic long voyage stuff.

In fact, expanding the voyage gives you a good opportunity to develop Dwarven tenaciousness. They kept looking for the right home world, even in the face of adversity after adversity after adversity. You'd have to do it carefully to avoid either going on too long or underselling the point, but it could work well. Having them look, and look, and look even as their numbers dwindle and their stocks run low would feel rather Dwarven.

An alternate move would be to have them slay a mighty dragon that had driven the tribesmen from their homes for their treasures (suitably dressed up in GRIMDARK, of course).

To understand the Chapter called the Stonebound, one must understand the world with which they are associated. Kagara lies in the east of the Segmentum Pacificus, not far from the borders between the Segmenta Tempestus and Solar. Kagara is a world of wildly differing climate - the world's summers are often warm and pleasant, and the people there are able to farm all manner of produce to sustain them through the best part of the year. When the leaves begin to fall, however, the clansmen harvest quickly and efficiently, and begin preparations to leave their villages until the spring. This is because the winters on Kagara are extremely harsh - nothing human can survive the cold weather, and many of the dwellings made in the spring and summer are damaged or destroyed by the violent weather. The clansmen, in the later part of autumn, head underground to avoid these devastating, season-long storms, taking with them as much livestock and harvested food as possible. Such provisions are scarce in the vast labyrinth of underground tunnels, short of hunting and killing the deadly Gor'da, or 'dark lizards'. The Gor'da are large, dangerous creatures that dwell in the warmth of the underground passages. They usually lurk far underground, at deeper levels than those used by the people of Kagara, but are known to come hunting for an easy meal of human flesh. To ward off possible Gor'da attacks, the clans have built stone fortresses within the caves, in which they spend the coldest part of the year. Once the spring arrives, however, two things force them to leave and return to the surface - firstly, the lack of sustainable food, and secondly, the Gor'da become too warm in the deeps, and come closer to the surface, meaning a greatly increased number of attacks on the population.

Paragraph breaks, man. Paragraph breaks.

When the Chapter first arrived on Kagara they saw that, for the people of a feral world, the populace showed great innovation in their lifestyles. Many of the underground tunnels were linked, mostly by natural occurrences, but sometimes by the industrious toil of the Kagaran people. This meant that tribal interaction often took place away from sunlight, in the dark of the deep places. Everything from trade to warfare was conducted in the stone caverns beneath the surface. With the arrival of the Astartes, many Kagarans tried to fight, but after facing the fearsome 'stone giants' with their unbreakable armour and terrifying weaponry, each tribe quickly agreed to meet with Grand Captain Baines. From them, he learned much of the world, and they learned from him of the Adeptus Astartes, The Emperor, and the threat posed by the Orks and other foul xenos.

A) Baines is a terribly unimpressive and undwarfy name. B ) How about some craftsmanship, that most Dwarfy of attributes?

It was half a year later that the Orks came, attacking Kagara and the Stonebound in their thousands. Countless people, caught during their migration to the caverns, were slaughtered by the greenskins. The Stonebound responded quickly, rising from under the earth itself to spread vengeance and fury. Although the chapter sustained heavy losses, they triumphed over the Ork invaders, slaying their Warboss. As the Orks tried to flee into the depths, the Stonebound followed on foot, taking civilian guides to lead them to the deepest parts of the caves where the Gor'da made their lairs. They pushed the diminished group of Orks into battle with the Gor'da, watching in satisfaction as the numerous 'dark lizards' tore the greenskins apart. From that day forward the people of Kagara and the Stonebound have shared a common bond of victory in the face of mankind's enemies, and every ten years a feast is held outside the Fortress Monastery itself for all of Kagara's peoples to come and celebrate the honour earned that day.

A siege'd feel more Dwarfy. The Stonebound are too active, too quick, at the moment. They are swift, and proactive. Not very Dwarf.

When Grand Captain Baines left Kagara to return to the Red Sabres, he made Jorn Fellis, Captain of the First Company, the first true Stonebound Chapter Master. Under his leadership, and those who came after him, the Stonebound have waged war against the foul Orks ever since. The Chapter has developed a fierce love of close combat tactics, and in a salute to Kagaran tradition, each marine carries an axe with him into battle. The axe, to the Stonebound, symbolises the role of a space marine - to brutally and irrevocably destroy the enemies of makind.

This conflicts with the line about The Emperor not caring what weapon you use, at least a little.

I'd recommend replacing that line with something appropriately modified from Tolkien. You need more Dwarf, less marine.

The Chapter recruits from the clans during every season other than the winter, challenging aspiring warrior youths by flying them to the top of Kagara's highest mountain ranges and forcing them to survive the month-long climb down with no equipment or help. The difficulty of this task is magnified greatly by the bitter cold, as well as lack of shelter, and made even worse by attacks by the ferociously territorial V'or, a species of flying, carnivorous lizard distantly related to the Gor’da and only slightly smaller than a grown man.

The depths. man. Lose them in underground labyrinths. For Dwarves, you're spending way too much time aboveground. Never go up. Go down.

In Kagaran society, two abilities are prized over all others; skill in battle and craftsmanship, whether in carving stone or forging steel. From a very young age, Kagarans are taught these skills and in Kagaran warrior tradition, a man is only truly a man when he has forged his own chain-mail and his own axe, and is ready to use them in the defence of his people. The beliefs of the Stonebound have been heavily influenced by the attitudes of the Kagaran people and when not on campaign or training, Chapter brethren spend much time developing their skills. Each Marine learns to lovingly care for his own weapons and armour, but also to create other pieces, statues and sculptures in metal and stone, ornately decorated to commemorate victories or other notable events.

This should be brought up earlier - feels like an afterthought here.

Among the many practices adopted from the Kagaran population, the one that most often draws questions from other Imperial servants is the tradition of Stonebound Marines wearing mail sections over their power armour. Considering the remarkable protection already provided by Astartes power armour, the function of this chain-mail is far more decorative than practical, yet a Marine of the Stonebound would be as likely to leave his bolter behind as he would to forsake his mail. The Stonebound say to not show the proper respect to the holy armour of The Emperor's Space Marines would be to invite misfortune and failure. Veteran Marines often make even more extensive use of mail links, sometimes covering the shoulders, arms and upper legs of their armour, and many of the Chapter’s fighting vehicles are similarly adorned.

It just doesn't work that well, unfortunately. Primitive stone age tribesmen wouldn't have the tech for chain mail, so where would this come from? It just feels very arbitrary.

The Stonebound take the typical view of the Astartes that the Emperor, whilst a just and noble father and leader, is no God. They have much respect for their brother Astartes, and for the mighty Primarchs who led the loyalist legions in the days of the Horus Heresy.

Durin. All about the Durin. This is a golden opportunity - there are plenty of similarities between the two - play up the Dwarvish characteristics of the Emperor (or make them up, if necessary). Them having a view of the Emperor similar to the Dwarves have of Durin could be very interesting, and would certainly be unique. You can also retell the Heresy from a Dwarven perspective. (Might be best in a sidebar, of course).

The worlds were young, the stars were clean

No Eye upon the sky yet seen

No words were lain on stream or stone

When the Emperor rose, and walked alone...

Might not be subtle, but it could be fun.

At their inception, the Stonebound, like the majority of White Scars successor Chapters, favoured quick, hard-hitting assaults over ranged combat and many of their tactics focussed on the use of Astartes bikes and jump packs. However, these very tactics often played into the hands of the brutal Orks and after several early losses, the Stonebound resignedly saw the wisdom of sometimes adopting a more defensive posture. Therefore, since that time, the Chapter has reformed itself into a more balanced and flexible fighting force; often using armoured vehicles and heavy weapons to protect their flanks while the main Stonebound battle line advances or holds objectives.

Dwarves aren't balanced. Dwarves rely heaving on tenacity and toughness (and technology in WHFB). This is a large part of what hides the theme - their combat doctrine doesn't feel dwarven.

For example, the Stonebound Armoury maintains a much larger than average number of Space Marine bikes, and all brethren are well trained in their use. Further, much like the original Legion from which they descend, the Stonebound always break up recruits taken from the same tribe and induct them into different Companies, thereby promoting a strong sense of unity throughout the Chapter - irrespective of which Kagaran tribe a Marine comes from, he is now Stonebound, evermore. Finally, the White Scars attitude regarding internment within a Dreadnought continues to hold much weight among the Stonebound, and many Chapter brethren see the hulking machines as nothing more than walking tombs. However, this is not to say that the Stonebound have no Dreadnoughts. Over the course of many centuries, a not inconsiderable number within the Chapter have become more comfortable with the ancient weapons, and see the opportunity to continue to serve the Emperor as one of ‘the Ironbound’ as a great honour.

Bikes? Bikes? The Squats had Bikes. But the Squats are gone for a reason - their theme was utterly ridiculous. Bikes are very undwarven.

In homage to their parent chapter, the Stonebound named their First Company the Redwings. Members of the Redwings are usually ancient marines; long-bearded, grizzled warriors who combine the wisdom of countless battles with ferocious skill-at-arms. Marines in the 1st Company paint their pauldrons a dull red and each Veteran also wears a plain red tabard over their armour. These tabards are common decorated with personal heraldry, as well as badges and honours recognizing a Marine’s individual achievements. When a member of the Redwings dies his tabard is hung on the outer walls of the Fortress-Monastery, at it appears from a distance that the Ka’hagul is anointed in the blood of these heroes.

Red Shields or Red Axes would make more sense.

The Stonebound do not have a formal chapter-wide battlecry, instead simply roaring wordless defiance in the face of whichever enemy dares to confront them. When engaging an enemy force, Captains are allowed the honour of sounding their battle cry first, followed by a crescendo of answering roars and battle calls from his brother marines.

"'Til the Emperor wakes!" would be a good Tolkien reference, but not necessarily consistent with the them.

I keep thinking you should work in a song or two from the Hobbit. Somehow. :P Or something from Durin (which is LotR).

Needs more dwarfy, basically. Especially in the history - get the dwarfiness in, and get it in good. Then expound.

First thing's first, many thanks for taking another look at the Stonebound!

I think you've hit the nail pretty much on the head. I think I've tried to combine White Scars and dwarves and come away with an 75%/25% split in favour of the marines.

It would probably be more unique the other way around, so I'll sit down one day soon and start on a big ol' rewrite and see how it turns out.

Firstly, I think you would prosper by adopting Discworld style conventions for surnames. Much more Dwarfy.

I don't think Librarian Bashfullson and Sergeant Stronginthearm have any place in the Stonebound, though. :lol:

Unless you mean having the leaders of the companies referred to as 'Kings'? :P

You know, I can't believe the Stonebound aren't siege experts already. That's so obvious I ought to slap myself in the face right now for not doing that in the first place.

I wanted to use the Kahn's geneseed for two reasons - firstly, the extra agression factor. Secondly, I haven't done a Scars' successor, and they're infrequently chosen within the Liber.

I could relegate the fast attack tactics for open battles, or drop them altogether. Unsure which would be better.

About the only point you made that I don't agree with, in fact, is the one about Baines. He's not a Stonebound so much as he is a Red Sabre, a good ol' fashioned White Scars successor. He wouldn't have a Kagaran name. Heck, he doesn't even stay with the chapter that long.

Oh and the point about Stone Giants. My marines are not shorter than anyone else's, and I don't really want that inferred. I see where you're coming from, though.

The worlds were young, the stars were clean

No Eye upon the sky yet seen

No words were lain on stream or stone

When the Emperor rose, and walked alone...

If it took you less than ten minutes to come up with that, you need epic sagas in your chatpers. It'd take me maybe an hour to do half as well.

Hearth Guard, Iron Guard, Ironshields, Redshields...

Hey, I like that. Redshields is a good one. I might have it so it's a Dwarvish approximation of Houscarls in the Kagaran tongue, too. :lol:

Thinking of a name for the warband in the Broken Sabre sidebar - I'm presently thinking Riftlords, or possibly Rift Lords as two words. It's a bit similar to the Red Lords, though, so if anyone can think of a similar alternative, that'd be darn helpful.

I think I'm on the start of the long-rewrite path. If anyone else has any ideas or opinions on what I should/shouldn't do, I can't wait to hear them - the more ideas the merrier!

I don't think Librarian Bashfullson and Sergeant Stronginthearm have any place in the Stonebound, though. laugh.gif

Unless you mean having the leaders of the companies referred to as 'Kings'? tongue.gif

No. But Rockhammer, Broadaxe, Warthunder, etc. do.

Beats McGee. :P

I wanted to use the Kahn's geneseed for two reasons - firstly, the extra agression factor. Secondly, I haven't done a Scars' successor, and they're infrequently chosen within the Liber.

It's true, they are. Shame, cause Khan's awesome.

I could relegate the fast attack tactics for open battles, or drop them altogether. Unsure which would be better.

Dropping them feels more Dwarven. Dwarves'd find the place the enemy needed to go and sit on it. Or bombard it.

About the only point you made that I don't agree with, in fact, is the one about Baines. He's not a Stonebound so much as he is a Red Sabre, a good ol' fashioned White Scars successor. He wouldn't have a Kagaran name. Heck, he doesn't even stay with the chapter that long.

Baines still sound silly. <_<

Oh and the point about Stone Giants. My marines are not shorter than anyone else's, and I don't really want that inferred. I see where you're coming from, though.

Oh, no. Didn't mean it that way. You just don't want people to be thinking about how big they are, if you follow me.

If it took you less than ten minutes to come up with that, you need epic sagas in your chatpers. It'd take me maybe an hour to do half as well.

Er...I kinda copied from Tolkien. I think I changed five words. It's that absolutely awesome poem about Durin Gimli quotes in Moria. (If you have a chance to hear the BBC radio version, which used to be kicking around Youtube, it's totally worth it - and has Ian Holm playing Frodo, for extra irony). Best part of the book, for my money.

Ah...

"The world was young, the mountains green,

No stain yet on the Moon was seen,

No words were laid on stream or stone,

When Durin woke and walked along.

He named the nameless hills and delles;

He drank from yet untasted wells;

He stopped and looked in Mirrormere,

And saw a crown of stars appear,

As gems upon a silver thread,

Above the shadow of his head.

The world was fair, the mountains tall,

In Elder Days before the fall

Of mighty kings in Nargothrond

And Gondolin, who now beyond

The Western Seas have passed away.

The world was fair in Durin's Day.

A king he was on carven throne

In many-pillared halls of stone

With golden roof and silver floor,

And runes of power upon the door.

The light of sun and star and moon

In shining lamps of crystal hewn

Undimmed by cloud or shade of night

There shone for ever fair and bright.

There hammer on the anvil smote,

There chisel clove, and graver wrote;

There forged was blade, and bound was hilt;

The delver mined, the mason built.

There beryl, pearl, and opal pale,

And metal wrought like fishes' mail,

Buckler and corslet, axe and sword,

And shining spears were laid in hoard.

Unwearied then were Durin's folk;

Beneath the mountain music woke:

The harpers harped, the minstrels sang,

And at the gates the trumpets rang.

The world is grey, the mountains old,

The forge's fire is ashen-cold;

No harp is wrung, no hammer falls:

The darkness dwells in Durin's halls;

The shadow lies upon his tomb

In Moria, in Khazad-dum.

But still the sunken stars appear

In dark and windless Mirrormere;

There lies his crown in water deep.

Till Durin wakes again from sleep. "

I think it'd work well, with a little modification. Shorter, of course.

Thinking of a name for the warband in the Broken Sabre sidebar - I'm presently thinking Riftlords, or possibly Rift Lords as two words. It's a bit similar to the Red Lords, though, so if anyone can think of a similar alternative, that'd be darn helpful.

Rift Lords'd be kind of neat. Rift Dukes, Rift Barons, Rift Princes...

That's so obvious I ought to slap myself in the face right now for not doing that in the first place.

I would so like to see that.

Riftairians? Rifters? Rift Lord make me think of a unit type in Age of Wonders 2 (Fantasy TBS game on the PC), a rather belligerant monster (named Rift Lord) that tended to bash your own armies silly if you were unprepared. Fitting I suppose.

Speaking of Discworld, I should reactivate my MUD characters before they are deleted. Having a Discworld inspired chapter would be pure gold in my eyes, as an aside.

Dropping them feels more Dwarven. Dwarves'd find the place the enemy needed to go and sit on it. Or bombard it.

I think they'd drop jump packs entirely first. Bikes might still have occassional uses.

For example, I could see that if they did have to move around (and lets face it they're still Astartes = shock troops) it'd probably be as a heavily armoured column, transports and battletanks, etc. However, in that case I think they might have a squad or two bike mounted to act as outriders? After all, even Dwarfs have scouts! Come to think of there are definate similarities in purpose between Dwarf gyrocopters and Land Speeders so you could certainly justify having a few of those in support of your squads and still have a Dwarfy feel.

All in all, I'd have to agree with pretty much all the points Octavulg has made though. Damn, after all that work too... <_<

Edit:

Although this bugs me slightly:

It just doesn't work that well, unfortunately. Primitive stone age tribesmen wouldn't have the tech for chain mail, so where would this come from? It just feels very arbitrary.

Where does it say their 'primitive stone age tribesmen'? Having said that, both Octavulg and Sig (i think it was anyway...) have got the impression they are, so maybe it needs clarifying. I think I may have said this before but to me 'clans' sounds more advanced than 'tribes' so just swapping those words may help?

Edited by Strike Captain Lysimachus

That's so obvious I ought to slap myself in the face right now for not doing that in the first place.

I would so like to see that.

Yeah, I did that. My face hurts now.

Riftairians? Rifters? Rift Lord make me think of a unit type in Age of Wonders 2 (Fantasy TBS game on the PC), a rather belligerant monster (named Rift Lord) that tended to bash your own armies silly if you were unprepared. Fitting I suppose.

Speaking of Discworld, I should reactivate my MUD characters before they are deleted. Having a Discworld inspired chapter would be pure gold in my eyes, as an aside.

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is a hilarious game, especially when with a few choice pieces of equipment my wizard was capable of two-hit-killing said Rift Lords. :lol:

I'd forgotten about that game altogether, but I'm thinking I might just go with Rift Lords anyhow. Discworld inspired names, huh? I could give it a try, I suppose. But don't get your hopes up just yet, I've no idea how it'll turn out.

All in all, I'd have to agree with pretty much all the points Octavulg has made though. Damn, after all that work too...

My thoughts exactly, but I kept it to myself. I reckon they'll be better for a swift change in tactics though - I've never been one for fast-melee-heavy forces, so I'll enjoy writing them more too.

Edited by Ace Debonair

Chapter Master Marinus Buffinthearms here we come... :D

On a more serious note,

I've never been one for fast-melee-heavy forces, so I'll enjoy writing them more too.

You have to be careful to differentiate them from the Imperial Guard, given how they are now beginning to share strategic attitudes.

You have to be careful to differentiate them from the Imperial Guard, given how they are now beginning to share strategic attitudes.

I think that "reduce them to itty bitty pieces by artillery, then mope up whats left with Assault or X Squads" is sufficiently different from the Guard to be ok... Ever seen a Guard army counterattack with CC? :D