Index Astartes: Mourning Souls (V2.0)

Ferrus Manus

Ok, so I've finally got some time to get down to a rewrite. My issue is I can't think of some decent conditions for the major battles the Souls are going to miss. I mean, should they be the battles' timing? the enemy they're to fight? Or something symbolic? I'd love to here some thoughts on that. Whatever is decided will be portrayed as a prophecy by one of the Chapter's first Librarians or maybe some seer they capture etc.

Anyway, I'd love to here your thoughts.

Symbolic and timing could both work. The timing would be expressed through symbolism, as would the particular battle. It should be vague enough that there have been multiple candidates that the Chapter has kept out of.

Ok, so after a short think I came up with this for a prophecy:

“On the anniversary of the Aquilae natalis and when the beacon begins to wane, the mourning children shall bring fire and death to their enemies to determine the fate of the galaxy.”

Which could be interpreted as “On the anniversary of the Imperium’s birth, and when the Astronomican dims; the Mourning Sons shall bring forth their might to battle their enemies and determine the fate of the galaxy.”

Of course, this was made millennia before the Souls existed, and maybe where they get their name from, and since they don't know the symbolic day of the Imperium's founding it makes it more difficult for them to determine the battle - thus they have to try and interpret other signs, which most of the time they fail at. Almost, like the Ancient Greeks and their Oracle.

Archived