Deathwatch: The RPG

Rule 97: The Gamemaster will create a duplicate of the resident Blood Angels character, only evil. Said clone will confuse the marine band to no end until, finally, they decide there's only one way to figure out the real son of Sanguinus: "Let's have a race!"

Rule 97.5: Any player who questions the logic of such a decision will be shot.

Edited by Kitchensink

Rule 96: Someone will believe that krack/frag/melta-bomb would bring a Close combat fight to an end without any negative consequences for any party members fighting.

Rule 96a: And thanks to some lucky dice rolls, they will turn out to be right.

(This happened in my running of Final Sanction. It was daft but epic.)

Rule 98: Once the game goes even a little bit off the rails, it will inevitably go completely off the rails.

Rule 99: If you allow your players to get a little creative with their character concepts, pretty soon things will turn completely insane.

It does seem kind of wrong to call my game a Deathwatch campaign when only 2 out of 7 characters in the party are actually space marines, and neither of those Marines work for the Deathwatch any more. That's what happens when you make a big villain of the campaign an ultra-Radical Inquisitor who did a bit too good of a job when he explained what his insane plan to save the Imperium was, so the party ended up deciding he was right and throwing their lot in with him. After the latest party shuffle we have an Inquisitor and an Assassin from the DH Books, a Navigator from the RT Books, an Ork Dok, and a Dark Eldar Wych.

To be fair, the game's high insanity quotient probably makes it even more fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Rule 104: If you can fit your head down the bore of the gun, you are not allowed to have it.

Rule 105: Under no circumstances are you to "borrow" the Warhound.

Rule 106: The first conversation between the GM and the players will not go like this:

GM: Your inquisitor sum-

Players: EXTERMINATUS!

GM: But you don't even-

Players: EXTERMINATUS!

Rule 107: The Black Templar is not allowed near the Librarian when he uses his powers. Ignoring this rule is an invitation for the Librarian to be shot in the head "for his own good."

Rule 108: Breaking any of these rules will result in a pink horror coming out of the offending characters nose.

Out of curiosity what are you using for the Wych stat wise?

Reverse-engineered Eldar Base stats from their enemy profiles, and then levelled up a Death Cult Assassin.

Rule 101: The most inconvenient psychic phenomena will happen when it's most inappropriate.

Cue the Librarian jamming ALL our weapons as the Tyranid mob charges.

Addendum to Rule 101: This can work against the GM as well.

Yes, like when the party accidentally killed off their primary mission-giver by ripping a hole between realspace and the Immaterium right on top of her (What were the odds that the Librarian would get Perils and accidentely drop a PR 15 Vortex of Doom right on their Inquisitor's head? Nearly killed the party's Apothecary too...)

Rule 109: One of your players will insist that, since he has killed an Ork Warboss, he should be able to take over the entire tribe of Orks as the new boss, and start his own pet WAAAGH! that will follow his every command.

Rule 110: At least one player will believe that normal humans should never, ever, under any circumstances be capable of posing a threat to a Space Marine. A powerful sorcerer with dozens of daemonic pacts should not be capable of standing up to a level 1 Librarian, an entire Guard company, complete with heavy weapons, should not be able to inflict a single wound on a Space Marine, and not even the deadliest Inquisitor or Sister of Battle should be able to match a Space Marine.

Rule 111: The Apothecary will botch at least one absolutely critical Medicae test.

# 70. Someone will play a space wolf character and read the Wolf-Tamer history option. Following this, said space wolf player will argue that he has a fenrisian wolf.

Happened. This same guy completely broke a D&D game I ran a few months back upon insisting on having a raptor mount. Cue a level 1 party going through high level encounters in 1 round.

Rule 112: The librarian will abuse the "push" setting just to cause psychic phenomena.

#71 Someone will play the Storm Wardens, see the Sacris Claymore and will hence forth play through the game with a thick Scottish accent and act as though he is Shaun Conery from Highlander.

I was looking over my player's sheets for an upcoming skype game and look what I found

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/5979/scsm.th.png

Rule 114: A Space Wolf apothecary creates some interesting moments when using the reductor in CC!

Rule 115: Libbies should always push their powers, because Daemon Princes aren't scary enough. ^_^

Edited by Ein Windir

As soon as our charaters completed the main objective, one of our Tactical marines popped a shot off at our Assualt marine, managed to crit his head. In fear, our other assault marine decided it was all too much, and shot himself in the face. the same tactical marine decided that he made a mistake, and must be purged. he promply burned his own face off.

We ended up deciding they were made insane by huffing promethium.

My biggest bugbear about Deathwatch is no Chaplain specialty.

I'm pretty sure Chaplains are supposed to be added in the expansion that's coming out at some point next year.

Rule 116: If you decide to set the epic final battle of your campaign on Terra, the party will somehow find a way to destroy the Imperium.

My biggest bugbear about Deathwatch is no Chaplain specialty.

I'm pretty sure Chaplains are supposed to be added in the expansion that's coming out at some point next year.

Rule 116: If you decide to set the epic final battle of your campaign on Terra, the party will somehow find a way to destroy the Imperium.

You think that is bad? I'm NEVER letting my players anywhere near mars again.