The Wolf and the Heretic

Seems good so afr, but i do not think the Ultramarines would get themselves drunk. That would be a bit syill no offence.

so far

lol thanks for the grammer correction lol i dont think im going to get the ultramarines drunk

does know one know who it is??? Ok clue it's the ship master now tell me his relivence

‘Brothers we are about to be ‘graced’ with the presence of our brothers the Ultramarines,’ said Ragnar to his assembled company.

Many of the astartes before him broke out into laughter.

‘I expect you to be on your best behaviour in front of them.’

More laughter

‘Lord their ship has dropped grav-anchor and 4 Thunderhawks are en route, the ship master wishes you to meet him on the flight deck,’ whispered a messenger into Ragnar’s ear.

‘Ship Master?’

‘Yes Lord Ragnar, I am over here,’ came the voice of the Ship Master from further down the deck.

‘What is the ETA of the Ultramarines?’ asked Ragnar as he walked over.

‘Here comes the first ship now, Lord.’

As the ship master said this, a pair of blue Thunderhawks entered the flight deck, followed by two more behind them. The assault ramp of the lead Thunderhawk opened, as soon as the ramp was down a squad of warriors appeared and scanned the deck as if it was an enemy ship.

Ragnar heard the clicks of their vox. They must be sounding the all clear to their comrades he thought. How they insult our honour.

The other Thunderhawks lowered their ramps, out of them marched squads of Ultramarines. They lined up into a brigade group formation.

What is the point of this wondered Ragnar. Are they trying to show us their supposed might? From the last Thunderhawk walked out five more. The leaders by Ragnar’s guess. They’re armour had gold gilding and details. One raised a banner; another had a large broad sword, the next had a flamer and the final marine the most decorated and the only one helmet less, the Captain.

hope you enjoyed the chapter. :lol:

little teaser for you :tu:

‘Who is in command here?’ demanded the Captain.

‘I am and who are you?’ replied Ragnar.

‘I am Captain Galenus of the Ultramarines fifth company.’

‘Wolf Lord Ragnar of the Space Wolves.’

‘We shall have a meeting with our most senior....’

‘No we won’t we will do this my way, this is my ship,’ said Ship Master Thengir stopping the Ultramarine mid sentence.

Ragnar could see the shock in the Captains face, he was obviously not used to being ordered about like a new cadet.

hope you like the teaser

‘Wolf Lord Ragnar of the Space Wolves.’

‘No we won’t we will do this my way, this is my ship,’ said Ship Master Thengir stopping the Ultramarine mid sentence.

Ragnar could see the shock in the Captains face, he was obviously not used to being ordered about like a new cadet.

‘And who are you?’

‘I am Ship Master Thengir, captain of this fine ship ‘Fenris’ Fury’. Welcome aboard.’

‘Thank you Ship Master. I think I should take command here as I have the superior force.’

‘I am sorry Captain but there you are wrong. Follow me.’

A look of confusion spread across the captain’s face before he regained his composer and followed Ragnar

Main hall on ‘Fenris’ Fury’

‘My brothers welcome our cousins the Ultramarines!!’ shouted Ragnar.

A mix of howls and cheers went up around the hall.

‘Thank you for the welcoming.’ said the Captain obviously discomforted by the howls.’

‘Now Captain how has the superior force?’

‘What you want I to believe that these bunch of savages are better than my great company?’

‘Lord you let him insult our honour so?’ whispered one of Ragnar’s Wolf Guard so quietly that only a Space Wolf could hear it.

‘Patience brothers I have dealt with his kind before.’

• 3 months later...

Ok so this is the story so far. if any of you have any ideas of what should happen between now and when they have a tatical meeting. post them up cos i kind of stuck

The Wolf and the Heretic

High orbit above Caprica

Ragnar looked out of the view port of the strike cruiser at the small world below.

‘Something troubling you Lord?’

‘No Sigurd it is nothing,’ Ragnar replied flatly.

There was a long silence, the only noise coming from the ship’s engines far away.

‘It’s the planet isn’t it Ragnar?’

‘Yes my old friend it is the planet, it brings back memories I thought I had buried long ago.’

Many years before

Ragnar shot a cultist mid leap, and then gutted another with his frostblade.

‘Long time, no see brother!’ shouted Ragnar above the high pitch whine of his sword.

‘It has been my friend, oh it has,’ Replied Sven.

Sven crushed a cultist’s chest with his power fist. A cultist appeared beside Sven but died with a bolt round through the head from Ragnar’s bolt pistol.

‘Thank you but I need to kill some of these heretics too you know, you aren’t the only wolf lord in this chapter.’ Sven shouted with a grin spreading across his face while he killed a heretic with his storm bolter.

‘Then you better hurry up brother that new armour has slowed you down.’ Ragnar slit another’s throat with his blade.

‘It may be slower but it comes with more weapons to smite my enemies with!’

The cultists threw themselves at the wolf lords but none scored a single blow. The melee was too closely packed for the cultist’s heavier weapons to fire. This fight was going to be won with pistol and blade alone. As the wolf lords shouted to each other they did not notice the half dead cultist throw a grenade at the wolf lords’ feet.

‘Damn,’ said both wolf lords as one.

The grenade exploded and sent both lords flying through the air, as their bodies hit the floor their wolf guards responded immediately, fighting through the tide of cultists to reach their lords’ bodies. When they reached them where they thought they would find two dead space wolves, they found both lying on the ground using each other’s backs to prop themselves up blasting at the cultists around them with bolt pistols. Ragnar had a piece of steel punched through his left leg while Sven’s knee was bending the wrong way round, both had small cuts on their face from the shrapnel but the blood was already clotting.

‘May I suggest we fall back, my Lords?’ asked the Sigurd.

‘Yes priest, I think you may be right,’ replied Sven.

Just as the wolves started to fall back a cultist with a sniper rifle pulled the trigger and shouted out praise to his gods. Sven collapsed to the ground.

He grasped his friend’s hand and with a grim smile said ‘I will see you in hell brother.’

Drop pod deck on ‘Fenris’ Fury’

‘Get to your pod!’ shout a sergeant farther down the deck.

Ragnar sniffed the air; he could smell the blood claws excitement, the grey hunters steely resolve and his own wolf guards’ eagerness for combat. He smiled to himself; this was going to be an interesting campaign.

‘Lord Ragnar to the bridge,’ Ship Master Thengir’s voice came over the vox.

‘Ship master we are about to drop,’ replied Ragnar trying to keep the annoyance from his voice.

‘I know Lord but this demands your attention now.’

‘I will be with you shortly.’

‘CANCEL THE DROP!’ Ragnar shouted to his company.

‘What is it Lord?’ asked one of his wolf guard.

‘I don’t know brother.’

Bridge on ‘Fenris’ Fury’

‘This better be good ship master,’ said Ragnar as he entered the bridge.

‘It is Lord; a space marine battle barge has just entered this system.’

‘What? Is it broadcasting an identity code?’

‘Yes Lord its code defines it as ‘Victory’s Might’ an Ultramarine ship.’

‘Dam it why do those starch asses always have to come and get in the way.’

‘They are demanding a meeting with you.’

‘Tell then fine but they come here to our ship.’

‘They are coming towards us at cruising speed,’ said one of the helms men

‘I will take that as a yes brothers,’ said Ragnar sarcastically

‘Lord?’

‘Get the porters to prepare a feast for our Ultramarine brothers and tell them to use our strongest beer.’

‘Yes Lord.’

Ragnar left the bridge and when the doors closed Thengir asked his helms men with a wolfish smile ‘I wonder what our Lord has planned.’

‘Brothers we are about to be ‘graced’ with the presence of our brothers the Ultramarines,’ said Ragnar to his assembled company.

Many of the astartes before him broke out into laughter.

‘I expect you to be on your best behaviour in front of them.’

More laughter

‘Lord their ship has dropped grav-anchor and 4 Thunderhawks are en route, the ship master wishes you to meet him on the flight deck,’ whispered a messenger into Ragnar’s ear.

The Flight Deck of ‘Fenris’ Fury’

‘Ship Master?’

‘Yes Lord Ragnar, I am over here,’ the voice of the Ship Master came from further down the deck.

‘What is the ETA of the Ultramarines?’ asked Ragnar as he walked over.

‘Here comes the first ship now, Lord.’

As the ship master said this, a pair of blue Thunderhawks entered the flight deck, followed by two more behind them. The assault ramp of the lead Thunderhawk opened, as soon as the ramp was down a squad of warriors appeared and scanned the deck as if it was an enemy ship.

Ragnar heard the clicks of their vox. They must be sounding the all clear to their comrades he thought. How they insult our honour.

The other Thunderhawks lowered their ramps, out of them marched squads of Ultramarines. They lined up into a brigade group formation.

What is the point of this wondered Ragnar. Are they trying to show us their supposed might? From the last Thunderhawk walked out five more. The leader by Ragnar’s guess. They’re armour had gold gilding and details. One raised a banner; another had a large broad sword, the next had a flamer and the final marine the most decorated and the only one helmet less, the Captain.

‘Wolf Lord Ragnar Blackmane of the Space Wolves.’

Ragnar could see the shock in the Captains face; he was obviously not used to being ordered about like a new cadet.

‘And who are you?’

‘I am Ship Master Thengir, captain of this fine ship ‘Fenris’ Fury’. Welcome aboard.’

‘Thank you Ship Master. I think I should take command here as I have the superior force.’

‘I am sorry Captain but there you are wrong. Follow me.’

A look of confusion spread across the captain’s face before he regained his composer and followed Ragnar

Main hall on ‘Fenris’ Fury’

‘My brothers welcome our cousins the Ultramarines!!’ shouted Ragnar.

A mix of howls and cheers went up around the hall.

‘Thank you for the welcoming.’ said the Captain obviously discomforted by the howls.

‘Now Captain how has the superior force?’

‘What? You want me to believe that this bunch of savages is better than my great company?’

‘Lord you let him insult our honour so?’ whispered one of Ragnar’s Wolf Guard so quietly that only a Space Wolf could hear it.

‘Patience brothers I have dealt with his kind before.’

‘So Lord Ragnar let us get down to business and get rid of this obvious attempt in scaring me away.’

‘Scare you? Why Captain I am not trying to scare you I am merely welcoming you here with my brothers.’

‘Could have fooled me, they are more like beasts than men,’ whispered the Company’s Champion into his vox-link.

‘You think we are beasts Champion of the 5th? You really should teach your men some respect Captain Galenus.’

‘I am sorry Lord Ragnar I shall have a word with my Champion later.’

‘I am sorry to tell you this Captain Galenus but it is too late for that, such an insult to not only my company but to my chapter cannot go unpunished. Champion of the 5th what is your name?’

‘Pedro Xanthus Fabien.’

‘Pedro Xanthus Fabien?’

‘Sorry, Pedro Xanthus Fabien, Lord.’

‘That’s better, well Pedro Fabien you have just earned you self a duel.’

‘With who Lord?’

‘Why me of course I’m sure my men would love to duel you but then I would just look like a lazy ass that won’t defend his chapter’s honour.’

‘That’s preposterous,’ exclaimed Galenus.

‘Preposterous Captain Galenus? Why it that a warrior of the Adeptus Astartes is not is allowed to defend his chapter’s honour? Would you just stand there and let some stranger insult your honour? ....... And I thought your chapter’s battle cry was “courage and honour”.

‘You are right Lord Ragnar I coincide this duel of words but I may warn you Pedro is a swordsman of the finest quality.’

‘I would expect no less from the champion of the Ultramarines.’

‘So Lord Ragnar where will our duel be held?’

‘Why right here of course where everyone can see.’

A space the size of a sparing cage was quickly cleared in the hall. The Space Wolves on one side the Ultramarines on the other. The air was tense as the two combatants walked to the centre of the area cleared from them. All the marines fell silent.

‘Choose your weapon Pedro though from what your Captain says I suppose you shall be using that mighty broad sword on your back?’

‘You are correct Lord and what weapon will you be using?’

‘I shall fight you with my fists my dear Pedro.’

‘What?’ exclaimed Pedro ‘Are you trying to mock me?’

‘No, Pedro I am not mocking you I am serious, dead serious.’

‘Well gentle men this is a regular duel, first to draw blood or disable their opponent wins. So begin!’ said Captain Galenus.

Pedro instantly divided towards Ragnar blade swinging in a fast uppercut that would have be headed Ragnar........... if he was still standing there.

‘To slow pup,’ said Ragnar who was now standing where Pedro had started his attack.

‘I’m only warming up!’

‘I’ll take your word for that but please I have things to do and bear to drink.’

Pedro charged again with a mix of slashes and jabs, his blade blurred so even the powerful eyes of the surrounding astartes could not keep up with it. But yet not a single blow landed on Ragnar.

‘Stay still you bastard!’

Then as low it had just materialised there a long stream of blood flowed from Pedro’s nose. Then he went down. All the astartes looked at the body of the unconscious champion.

‘Well that was easy,’ said Ragnar standing beside the champion’s body.

The Ultramarines started to murmur. How had this one unarmed man beat their champion their best swordsman with one of the most valued relic blades their company owned.

Archived