Ultramarine bust : Julius Antigonus, Dreadnought

Holy Sanguinius' underpants ! This thing is pure awesomeness !

So good it can lead a newbie painter like into madness !

GD winner for sure :woot:

Can we have a picture with a standard marine, to have a size comparison ?

Stunning. Simply stunning, a tremendous combination of painting, sculpting and most importantly - originality and vision. I look forward to seeing more of your work on the B&C, I truly do...

That is epic. The flesh tones, the savagery of the wounds, the invasive implants, the damn function-ability/realism of it all...I can't say enough about this project.

I hadn't realised quite how big it was as well!

Thanks for replying to my questions. Even allowing for the crazy smoothness of the sculpt, that undercoat was something special. I'm glad to see that which covered it was worthy.

Looking forward to the next project you eluded to iand can only wonder how you will follow this, when you have already set the bar so high.

- Rabidus

The depth of thought, creativity and vision to create and let alone paint something like this is outstanding. I think some others have mentioned how unique this sculpt is and I think that it will take you a long way in the Golden Demon.

Best of luck fella.

Hello again, Im not sure how to multi quote so i'll go one by one sorry for the inconvenience.

''when half your torso is gone...'' HAHAHA. Boy im still laughing at that one...

When it came down to scultp the face I had 2 avenues I could take. The ever depicted square jaw that we see on every space marine hunk wasnt what I was going for.

Since Julius must have spent a few hundred years in fluid and let's add for all matter that the guy ''died'', the muscles he has left in his face are rendered to flask.

His body is dead, his mind is FIRE!

:) Glad i could provide a laugh. Yea i see what you mean with the jaw and now its painted its fine cus im blinded by the awsomeness anyway :P

oh and +1 on the rest off his drednaught ;)

I think he looks more like Mean Machine. Simply awesome. I can say without exaggeration that this is the finest modeling and painting I have ever seen. This will win GD. If you don't work for them already, GW should hire you immediately to sculpt for them. Everything is perfect. The tattoos are without flaw. The only thing that would make it better is if he weren't an Ultramarine, but there is no accounting for taste, hey? :HQ: Bravo, sir.

This thread just gets more :D amazing as it goes on, your painting skills must surely be the envy of even the mighty God Emperor! Every time I see I fall in love with it again :D although that spine area looks damn painful!

Can I just give a small suggestion though,and ignore it if you want, but maybe on the bulging veins on his arm and neck apply a light wash of blue? I think it would really bring them out man.

*Looks down at painting hand, a small tear rolling down his cheek*

That is simply Legen (wait-for-it) DARY. Not only is the bust really, really awesome, you've painted it to current status in a week. It's already looking amazing - I love the tats and the shoulder injury looks straight of of med school. Is that his liver poking out the bottom? And the metallics... man, if I could do my metallics a 1/10th as good as that, they'd be kickass.

I can't wait to see the final product, I don't know how you can make it more awesome than it already is! I'd put money on it being the slayer sword winner.

*Looks down at painting hand, a small tear rolling down his cheek*

That is simply Legen (wait-for-it) DARY.

Ah ha! An other Barny Stinson fan. Love it.

I love doing metallics, nice that you enjoy.

For the painting time frame, 95% of it was done in a few days...once I started i just couldnt stop! The final product will be ready this saturday AM. Posted finish Saturday night.

The only thing that would make it better is if he weren't an Ultramarine, but there is no accounting for taste, hey? :devil: Bravo, sir.

I know where you're coming from Joker. I have no shame to admit that I am a Son of Dorn but I've been meaning to work on Ultra's for a long time and then when I started reading the Ultras novels by G. McNeill I just loved it so much. Uriel Ventris is an exciting character. I decided that I will paint a whole UM Company (with a twist of course!) when Im done with my GD entries.

I like some things, but others just dont seem complete to me

The metals arent bad in places, great in others and such(brass and some wires), but in others looks quite flat and lacking (bolts? in body)

but the things that bother me are the tattoos and skin.

firstly the chest tattoo looks like it was placed for convenience(to avoid intrvening objects) and has such an awkward position on the chest

my second issue is the skin, it really lacks any sense of shape, its very flat and the colour is very bland because its all desaturated and lifeless, this may be in part to photography slightly as the lighting is affecting it

the paint work is a bit rough in some spots for a competition piece, and lacks transition of colour, basically it looks like you airbrushed a basecoat and just washed a couple colours here and there and called it a day

i would suggest further work to clean it up and add highlights for sense of depth and saturated tones for sense of shape :)

it is a neat piece regardless of any flaws or issues with the work, and i definetly stand by that!

some thoughts on skins:

males have a redish skintone, girls have greenish(yellow olive like) when shading those skintones think of how colour interact

red+blue light= purple

greenish yellow+ blue light= faded green

or in light:

redish skins have more oranges and pinks, purples, browns and blues

greenish skins have more yellows and yellow oranges and greens

when shading always avoid black unless its simply added to darken a colour slightly(for example, black added to a red which is added to a skintone) also avoid blues when mixing into yellow skintones, it muddies the colour as blue and yellow are opposites, they tend to move towards a neutral grey

when doing skin its important to use saturated tones as well as desaturated, as in real life, saturated tones often add volume to shadow, as well as create a sense of roundness or change in surface(aka shape) ... its also an effective way to create depth of shadow, as where blue light hits colour is more desaturated, however in shadows where blue light does not fall, they tend to be richer, and you can create a sense of contrast simply by the volume of colour in your shadows/colour

saturated colour is like light colours, it stands out more :)

Alex

Archived