Scythes of the Emperor and other actual scale bits...

Doghouse

Doghouse,

You stated above you were using measurements to get a more exact and correct scale for your Actual Scale Landraider. Can I ask you you came about the measurements? I'd like to know as I am also trying to do some Actual/True-scaling.

(Yes, you and Lamenter both are to blame... along with Cry Wolf. Your models are all stunning and inspired me... read into made me become obsessed with True Scaling all my Marines. So, with myself working on this "lil" project, your names have both been blessed and cursed over the past year... often in the same sentence.) ;)

Trygon: Definitely mate, that banner is one of the classics. They also show a scythes captain in the advanced space crusade book that I may have a bash at as well.

Semnos: I use the forth edition space marine codex as a guide. There is no real official size for the vehicles but in the army section of the book with all the points costs it has pictures of a marine stood next to each of the vehicles showing you just how big they are.

The dreadnought picture as shown earlier in the thread is taken from the third edition codex. :D

Glad to hear that my models have inspired you mate, it's always good to see people making marines like these. ;)

Progress is a little slow at the moment but I have got some more done on the dred. Still got a lot of cleaning up to do once everything is in place but it's getting there.

http://i41.tinypic.com/110gok4.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/mmfqc0.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/2crq5ab.jpg

As I'm doing a pre-heresy Iron Warriors army for a battle against Apologist's Ultramarines I've started work on some Robots for the army.

This is still quite an early WIP but will eventually be a scaled up version of the Conqueror (the model on the right in the picture below).

I'll also be looking to build a Castellen robot to go with it.

Currently I'm planning four of the Mk I dreadnoughts, at least two squads of marines with rhinos, maybe a predator destructor, an updated version of the rick priestly deodorant skimmer as a Land Speeder Tornado or Typhoon, the robots and maybe a few other cool pre-heresy stuff if I get the chance. I'll be aiming to get it all as historically accurate as possible so most of it will be scratch built by the looks of things..

http://i41.tinypic.com/1zbh1f7.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/20ij7sz.jpg

Got a bit more done, mainly on the bulk of the lascannon before I begin to clean it up and add the detailing and on the top the of the hull.

http://i39.tinypic.com/6z8oj7.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/315dchl.jpg

Exellent stuff as usual! The sculpting is just top notch!

Many would say your crazy for building a True Scale MK1 Dreadnought from scratch and then you go and do a MK1 Rhino as well!

Do you have plans to cast any of the Vehicles or Marine parts so you can easily create a full army?

Have you made a start on your Pre Heresy Iron Warriors army? They are one of my favorite Chaos Legions and I'd always considered doing them myself, even as an Imperial Fist player. :cuss

Cheers.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers guys! :)

daemonclaw: Yeah you could say that! :(

shaw3029: I will be casting the dreadnought for personal use only for the Iron Warriors and maybe the robots but that will be all. If that doesn't work I'll just build them all from scratch.

The marines will be terminator conversions using my regular technique and I'll probably build all the vehicles from scratch in the same way as the Rhino I've started but I won't be casting any parts for them.

At the moment the army list is as follows and is taken from the Space Wolves Codex. Although I've seen Apologist's marines I don't really know what he'll be fielding but we will probably be going for a narrative style game rather than a tournament style.

For my own army I am going to have my force as part of the eleventh great company under the command of Captain Garant.

Back in the old days of Rogue Trader the Mk I could be piloted be piloted with a mind impulse link as well as surgical implantation. They also fought in Adeptus Titanicus (before the Space Marine epic rules were released) in units of four. So I've adapted this to form a Dreadnought Line Breaker Squadron supported by infantry. The idea being that between battles the dreadnought pilots can leave their suits.

To represent this I may make a Wolf Guard battle leader and three Wolf Guard as a squad to represent this for games without the dreadnoughts.

Commander Kilger: Bjorn the Fell Handed with twin linked lascannon and heavy flamer.

A veteran of the Unification Wars and the Sol campaign Kilger was an accomplished strategist that would prove to be a poisonous barb in the side of the loyalist forces.

To his men he was an inspirational figure having risked his life many times over to rescue any of his troops that have become stranded or had fallen in no mans land. During the siege of Kelnan's world Kilger was to see this loyalty repaid. He had pushed forward to crush the xeno defenders only to have his Furibundus class dreadnought crippled, cut down in a cross fire of xenos energy weapons.

As the other Imperial forces were ordered to pull back in the face of overwhelming attackers from the east his men stubbornly refused withdrawing only once they had rescued their commander with many losing their lives in the process.

Ultimately his respect of his brother Ultramarines that he had fought alongside in the Unification Wars soon turned to bitter resentment. With growing frequency he and his men found themselves placed in rearguard actions protecting the vital supply lines that enabled the Ultramarine expeditions to conquer new worlds in the name of the Emperor.

As the Heresy drew near he found himself reprimanded on several occasions for speaking out openly against the sons of Guilliman, on rare occasion even cursing the name of their Primarch.

As time passed an emissary of the Word Bearers had come to their garrison accompanied by Captain Garant under the guise of a formal inspection.

To Kilger there was something different about Garant, the worn and tired Captain that he had fought under during the Tellamar Pacification spoke with renewed passion and a fire in his voice that he had not witnessed since his days when they fought together on Terra.

He spoke to Kilger of the Emperor's betrayal and how Horus was the rightful heir to the empire that they had craved from the stars. He inducted Kilger and his platoon into the ways of the warrior lodges during his time on the planet. The bitterness and resentment that had spread to his men was twisted with softly spoken words by the emissary so that when the rebellion finally came they gladly turned on their former Ultramarine brothers.

Brother Sergeant Rennick: Venerable Dreadnought with twin linked lascannon and heavy flamer.

The oldest member of the squadron, being senior to Kilger by only a few years, he was often affectionately referred to as the Old Man by the other members of the platoon. Rennick was seen as a rather gruff character who spoke often of the days of the old regiment, much to the amusement of the younger members of the platoon yet none would ever dare admit to doing so to his face.

Brother Hyboran: Dreadnought with two twin linked autocannons

Hyboran was one of the first recruits taken from Olympus following the discovery of their Primarch. Having proved himself in combat on numerous occasions the roar of his twin linked auto-cannons became a familiar and welcome sound when the attack on their enemies finally began.

Brother Fellan: Dreadnought with assault cannon and heavy flamer.

Fellan was one of the later recruits taken from Olympus having only recently replaced Brother Teilac when he fell during the siege of Kelnan's World, his Deredeo class dreadnought last seen firing missiles into the enemy before being overwhelmed by hordes of razor clawed xeno attackers.

Unlike his predecessor Fellan preferred to get in close with the enemy tearing into them with his suit's armoured fist. As such his dreadnought armour was modified to mount the newer model Assault cannon to suit his style of combat.

Total 745pts

Update

I've begun to work on the dreadnought close combat weapon now. I tried to make it as close to the original as possible but it didn't look quite right. The arm was far too long on the old model which really shows when you scale it up. It's looking a little rough and ready at the moment but should look really good when properly cleaned up.

http://i44.tinypic.com/xqlu05.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/ao6xvk.jpg

Although I need to make two Iron Warrior tactical squads next for the army to make it a legal force I am considering using the Grey Knight power armoured rules for including a squad of the Thousand Sons Scarab Occult as an optional unit.

Cheers guys! :)

Lykos: I must admit I'm itching to get some paint on this now and hopefully I shouldn't be too much longer before he's finished. I'm really looking forward to making alternative weapon arms as well, getting an assault cannon to look right on this design is really going to be a challenge.

Terminatorinhell: I think the Mk I is my all time favourite dreadnought design. It's a perfect design for the Iron Warriors because it is completely enclosed, with the exception of the hip joints, with no external cabling which would make it perfect for stomping across muddy no mans land with bolter shell bouncing off it armour. I've got to try and work a heavy flamer onto the arm at some point

Lamenter: The dreadnought is sort of a nostalgia thing but it's more to do with my love of all things pre-heresy. I am currently working on a second version based on the one seen from the visions of heresy artwork books as well but the chance to update a classic design was too tempting to pass up.

The Rhino is coming along nicely and I've lengthened and widened it so that it can accommodate ten actual scale marines. I'm also working on a land raider, rogue trader era predator turret and sponsons to create an authentic looking force.

I've got a few Imperial Army bits that I'm working on as well as potential support for the game against Apologist's Ultramarines but I'll post a link to them once I've got some pictures up.

Just an idea. Perhaps you should make two close combat arms. Then make an under slung assault cannon held on with magnets with an ammo hopper on the back of the pilots compartment. You could also do it mounted to the back and over hanging like on the old robots heavy bolter.

Thanks mate. :D

Yeah the dreadnoughts should look really good when finished. I'm currently working on his left leg and the DCCW at the moment but I can't be that far off finishing him now.

In regards to fielding the dreadnoughts there were two types of detachments used back in the original epic game. First there was the Mutilator Detachment which consisted of two Contemptors (think Furioso), One Deredeo (missile launcher and DCCW) and a Furibundus (lascannon and DCCW). The Second was the Destroyer Detachment which had 2 Deredeo and 2 Furibundus and this is what I am loosely basing my force around.

I've managed to get a bit more done and as you can see I've widened and lengthened the hull and track sections of the rhino so it it now the correct size. I've got a little more done on the dreadnought arm and the hand is slowly beginning to take shape.

http://i41.tinypic.com/3505d1k.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/24npcvt.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/2vvnedh.jpg

Doghouse!!

I know you are nuts in a couple of ways, some unknown to the wisest. But WHY, just WHY are you producing a rhino from GREENSTUFF???

You have used plasticard before, I have seen it. What is this folly?

Explanation awaiting

the Flag

PS: BTW, awesome Dread! Real good work. Makes me pick up mine again!

Thanks mate! ;)

The honest answer I guess is that as strange as it sounds I find it much easy to work with than plasticard. ;)

I guess it's a more of an experiment really more than anything else to see what I can do with the stuff as ultimately I really want to move away from forty kay and start sculpting and producing my own original stuff. Basically what I learn from building this I can then apply to my own designs. There's lots of shapes like domes are really difficult to reproduce using plasticard and I'm trying to push myself in terms of sculpting to see what I can really do. :drool:

Once this one is out of the way I may have a bash at a full plasticard version to see which is the most effective way of doing it. I do want to try a termite as a drop pod proxy and will be trying different ways of making one of those.

For the battle with Apologist I'm making a wrecked warlord head as a possible objective so I'll be playing around with ideas again there to see what I can come up with when making my own stuff.

It's actually quite a cheap way of doing it as well. For about fifteen quid I've managed to get a dreadnought, a Rhino and maybe a couple of robots as well and still got enough GS left over for a few marines.

Only a question, so you are now sculpting things with hard edges, why dont you use a putty like Milliput?, IMHO is easier to file, cut in hard edges etc... the green one always has a "soft" finish for my taste.

I normally use regular green stuff and just push and pull it around to get a hard edge. I have found in the past a good way of doing it is to mix milliput with green stuff so that you get the best of both worlds. It also files a lot easier with the milliput mixed in and it sculpts better than milliput on it's own.

back with a bang i see doghouse that dread looks great

first rhino i have ever seen which is sculpted rather than scratchbuilt! not even GW make the masters like that!!

Archived