BA 5th Edition FAQ - VII

Morticon

Here's one that I've overlooked a bunch of times: Is it just me or is a "twin-linked" heavy flamer a tad bit redundant? Doesn't "twin-linked" allow us to re-roll "hits"? How do we re-roll "hits" on a template weapon?

Hi peoples.

Was looking to continue my Honour Guard project (halted awaiting new codex), was looking to new equipment rules notably the Exanguinator.

Seems it's now to be considered as the Blood Chalice or Chalice of Blood.

The fluff talks about how there aren't actualy enough Blood Chalices remaining for every priest and how shards were incorporated into our Priests Narthesiums. I thought great don't have to model this onto the figure for WISIWIG. But then noticed... in the Priests, Corbulo, and the Honour Guard Novitiate's equipment lists.... No Narthecium mentioned or rules reguarding how the Blood Chalice can be considered as a Narthecium. Just one vague comment pointing to it in the Priest's description of Blood Chalice's. I know I'm being picky but surely this is something that could have easily been made verry clear.

Brothers have we really lost the Exanguinator (Narthecium) or can we expect our opponents might understand we just have a really badly written codex?

Brothers have we really lost the Exanguinator (Narthecium) or can we expect our opponents might understand we just have a really badly written codex?

Yes, the exsanguinators are gone. All priests and sanguinary noviates (honor guard priests) have blood chalices that give the FnP and FC. Nothing else.

Thanks Wax_Assassin, I must be thick or something.. just couldn't get my head around Exanguinator was gone, lol

FnP actualy an improvement for Blood Chalice covering 6" range so as might benefit other squads as well.

Also no limits as to the number of wounds we can try and save against as per the old Exanguinator restrictions where to attempt to save more than 1 wound resulted in chance priest might croak.

Ok happy camper here Cheers.

Yes your right James. I remember those rules now you said it.

I'm one of these isolated people that never gets to play games... just paint. Well when I get time. lol

So nasty freaky squad full of lightening claws it is then... oooh I'm looking forwards to this. Squad killers!!

Cheers James

If I take a single lightning claw and a pistol, I know I don't get an extra attack for an extra lightning claw but I would still get the bonus attack for having a pistol, no? I mean VGV=2 base attacks, plus one for pistol(but not one fore LC). So 3 (4 on the charge)no save attacks with re-roll of failed wounds. But with a power weapon they would receive 2 base attacks, plus 1 for PW, one for pistol and one for charge; so 5 attacks on the charge w/no armour save. Either way it's a big hurt. In your opinion is the re-roll of the wounds better than the extra attack? Or as you said, trash the pistol's and go straight for the twin LC's(although they are painfully expensive). I wish you could Deep Strike usind DoA, fire your pistols, then assault using Heroic Intervention, but that would be a bit cheesy. I was previously going to lace out my VGV squad with Sarge(Pfist/Pweapon), 3 VGV's w/LC and pistol, 3 VGV's with PW/pistol just for balance but now realizing I can get a pair of LC's might go for that option instead.

Thanks in advance.

LordofDeath11, you don't get +1 attack for each weapon.

In your examples:

Lightning Claw and Pistol: Vanguard has 2 attacks. No extra weapon as claws only get it if both are claws. So 2 attacks, 3 on the charge.

Power Weapon and Pistol. Vanguard has 2 attacks. 2 Weapons (power weapon and pistol) for +1 attack. So 3 attacks, 4 on the charge.

Also, if you wish to use Heroic Intervention, you are not allowed to shoot when you deep strike.

LordofDeath11, you don't get +1 attack for each weapon.

In your examples:

Lightning Claw and Pistol: Vanguard has 2 attacks. No extra weapon as claws only get it if both are claws. So 2 attacks, 3 on the charge.

Power Weapon and Pistol. Vanguard has 2 attacks. 2 Weapons (power weapon and pistol) for +1 attack. So 3 attacks, 4 on the charge.

Also, if you wish to use Heroic Intervention, you are not allowed to shoot when you deep strike.

Yeah that's what I thought, thanks for clearing it up.

BTW, do you have a preferance, as I mentioned I might just take 3 VGV's w/LC pair's and 3 with PW and not have to pay 30 pts per model. Have you used Heroic Intervention much? How has it worked for you?

Personally, I don't load up a Vanguard that much. 1 power weapon, 1 power fist, 1 thunder hammer. The rest are just bolt pistol and chainsword.

I have a question that I hoped would get answered in the official FAQ. When using Sanguine Sword, when does the power end?

Unlike most of our power that have a specified time limit, the Sword does not. Am I to believe that if I use it once, my Librarian is rolling with S10 the rest of the game?

I have a question that I hoped would get answered in the official FAQ. When using Sanguine Sword, when does the power end?

Unlike most of our power that have a specified time limit, the Sword does not. Am I to believe that if I use it once, my Librarian is rolling with S10 the rest of the game?

WOW.

:)

First time ive seen that. I think RAW youre in an easy place, but RAP people would stab you if you said it didnt end.

RAW yeah man- it seems it doesnt ><;

I'll put that up in the FAQ RAP/RAW section.

I was browsing 4chan today and came across a person with a question about our FAQ that I too am now curious about. The FAQ says the Baal predator can use its smoke launchers during its scout move. The scout move is before the movement phase though. The question was if a BA player were to pop smoke during the scout move would that player then be able to fire their weapons during their 1st turn?

I'm thinking it's a no since it would defeat the purpose of popping somke in the first place. It protects you from scouts through turn one. Otherwise the effects of smoke wouldn't protect you from enemy shooting if you can also shoot at them. It would be some cruel cheat.

Thoughts?

Sadly, RAW theres nothing to support that you cannot fire.

It is unfair, but thats currently how GW have deemed it.

The smoke launcher rules say you may not fire in the same turn as you have used the launchers. You do not fire them in turn 1, you fire them before turn one. Its the same concept as Corbulo not using his ability during the game, because it hasnt started....even though youre actually playing the game already.

Sadly, RAW theres nothing to support that you cannot fire.

It is unfair, but thats currently how GW have deemed it.

The smoke launcher rules say you may not fire in the same turn as you have used the launchers. You do not <pop smoke> in turn 1, you <pop smoke> before turn one. Its the same concept as Corbulo not using his ability during the game, because it hasnt started....even though youre actually playing the game already.

To simplify/clarify:

Turn 0: Scout move 18", pop smoke.

Enemy's Turn 1: Cover Save vs. Enemy shooting

Our Turn 1: Our BPs can move up to 6" and shoot all weapons or up to 12" and shoot 1 or flat-out 18" (behind cover or you're slag soup) and shoot zip.

Nothing in RAW to suggest enemy gets an obscurred Save since we are essentially shooting out of our own smoke: RAI/RAP, maybe. :)

That isn't so bad after all, but it gets worse when the Baal pops smoke on turn 0, moves and/or shoots on your turn 1 and then counts as being obscured on opponent's turn 1. RAW.

That isn't so bad after all, but it gets worse when the Baal pops smoke on turn 0, moves and/or shoots on your turn 1 and then counts as being obscured on opponent's turn 1. RAW.

Yup! GW have opened up a can of worms here sadly.

Not gonna make BA players look good if they use that.

Hello,

maybe it's little stupid question, but I have to ask.

As FAQ states that Tycho doesn't join the Death Company...

Does Death Company Tycho use up the 0-1 limit of Death Company unit per army?

Thanks in advance.

Something that's been bugging me for a while; Can you take multiple Elites slots full of Sanguinary Priests? That is to say, for a combined total of 9? RAW is "up to three as a single Elites choice" but there's no 0-1 limit on it.

• 2 weeks later...
Simple question here:

Is there any difference between a blood fist and a power fist? If not, why name them differently?

Blood Fist allows a dread to strike at init. Power fist strikes at init1.

Anyone know where to get an official GW reference sheet for Blood Angels (especially a corrected one)? The downloads section of the GW site doesn't appear to have one for BA, just everyone else.

Archived