What are you waiting for?

I'm patiently waiting for the Iron Warriors novel. Seeing how we're on garrison duty all over the place at the moment, though, we'll probably be saved until the siege of Terra, where I expect Mr. McNeill to revive classic fan favorite, Forrix :)

Until then, I'll settle for The First Heretic and (hopefully) a glorious recollection of the Urizen's fall.

The Space Wolves side of the Sacking of Prospero, see how much pity people feel for Magnus when they see the truth :P

I don't feel much pity for Magnus after A Thousand Sons either, but I truly do hate Russ and Mortarion after it. The ones I do feel pity for, are the remaining 1170 Thousand Sons at the end of the novel, desperately seeking to prove their loyalty in the eyes of an Emperor that condemned them for a crime commited by their corrupted primarch. One of Ahriman's very last sentences in the novel is

"This Cabal will be the opening move in restoring the Thousand Sons to glory in the eyes of the Emperor."

- and the latter part of the novel clearly illustrates the insanity of Magnus as he's pushed to the wall against the avatar of Tzeentch. The fearful, the meek and the brutally violent again proves there is no true justice or fair treatment in the Imperium of man, the tribunal of Nikaea all to well illustrates the true depth of why the Heresy was inevitable from the very moment the Emperor reunited his primarchs.

I can't freaking wait for the climactic battle between Horus and zee Emperor himself. Whoever writes it had better do a good job.
I just want it to be written by Bill King.

@Rorschach: wouldnt the fact the TS did the same crimes as Magnus make them traitors to the Emperor also? They all knew of the verdict from Nikea, and all chose to continue their practices.

As did Wyrdmake :blush:

The siege of Terra. Hope it is going to be pure awsomnes, and Sanguinius figthing against the bloodthirster. And after that I hope they write the last book about the Dark Angels (cant see them making more than 3) where Caliban is destroyed. Hope to finally see some secrets revealed.

I'm looking forward to the boarding of Horus's flagship during the Seige of Terra so that it can be finally laid to rest whether it was a lone Custode, Fist terminator of Imperial Army soldier who encountered Horus and was flayed alive by his Chaos-given powers.

Personally I hope it's the Guardsman. In my head it's always happened like this;

The Emperor, Dorn and Sanguinus are at some sort of forward command post directing Imperial resistance. Horus' shields go down (for whatever reason GW may finally settle on!) and He immediately senses this. Straight away he rounds up every marine and primarch in the area to teleport up asap cos it's their one chance and the shields may only be down for moments. He tells them what He plans while waiting for the teleporter to fire up. A squad/squads of nearby Guardsmen hear and volunteer to follow their lord and master to the gates of Hell, literally, even though they know that to get caught in the middle of an astatres fight is to die. The Emperor, profoundly touched by the courage of ordinary men agrees because He knows it's their war as much as his. Cue teleport and scattering. Imagine a chapter then told from the main guardman's perspective as he moves through the horror that is now Horus' ship, alone and terrified but determined to do some good. He enters a chamber and suddenly before him in all his corrupted glory is Horus squaring off against the Emperor. I imagine Horus taking the time to gloat, like all supervillains, before getting the upper hand on the Emperor due to His reluctance to use His full power to destroy His favourite son. Knowing he'll soon be dead either way the guardsman steels himslf and opens fire/charges, determined to show Horus that even if they are outclassed regular humans will still die hard at the Emperor's side fighting such evil. At this point cue psychic flensing. Cue the Emperor's Divine Heart breaking at the undaunted courage of a humble guardman in the face of practically a new dark god and taking the gloves off and going Super Saiyen on Horus.

Come on, you all know the Guard are the most noble army in 40k so give them their moment in the Hersy series because they've been a tad overlooked!

What I would like to see:

The First Heretic (liked "Soul Hunter" quite a bit, so I have high expectations there)

Prospero Burns ("A Thousand Sons" was enjoyable, but I'd like to see the Wolves' side, too)

A White Scars novel (they are perhaps one of the least covered Legions/Chapters of Legend as far as I can tell)

Iron Warriors novel (some clarification on what really happened with them would be helpful)

A Dark Angels novel (to close out the Dark Angels "trilogy" - "Fallen Angels" practically sets up a sequel, although it may be technically post-Heresy)

A Death Guard novel (focusing on Mortarion's fall - "Flight of the Eisenstein" doesn't count)

Another Alpha Legion novel (as good as "Legion" was, I want more)

A Night Lords novel (like I would ever complain about the Night Haunter's brood getting more time in the spotlight)

A World Eaters novel (there are hints of depth to them, and I really liked Khârn's characterizations wherever he appeared in HH books)

Come on, you all know the Guard are the most noble army in 40k so give them their moment in the Hersy series because they've been a tad overlooked!

Because the Guard were non existent, long live the Imperial Army!

Not one step backwards!

Ahem *Puts away Commissar greatcoat and cap*

Huzzah for the Imperial Army....They stand before all the horrors of the universe with faith, a flack vest, and a Lasgun. Id like to see some more IA fluff in the books as well. It dose seem the most of the Army followed the lead of its Astartes commanders, or had its leadership killed as Horus did to his IA Lord General. Aside from that and back to the big boys in Power Armor, Id like some more loyalist legion perspectives. The most fascinating thing in the series is the fall from grace of the traitor legions, but I think seeing how the loyalists have to react to the new order of things and turning their guns upon their brothers would be beneficial as well. Ofcourse I want more Salamanders, but there arent many left after the Istvann campaign....so Ill say more Dorn and the Fists

Sanguinius back handing a Demon from the walls of the Emperors palace, then boarding Horus' battle barge knowing he was going to his own death. Now that is the kind of epic stuff I'm dying to read.

Also looking forward to see a return of Garro & his loyalist Death Guard

I entirely and wholeheartedly agree with both of these. Sanguinius snapping a Daemon Prince over his knee could be epic if done right. And as always MAJOR character death scene is always good if written correctly. Frankly, just the lead up stories of the Blood Angels and also the Imperial Fists parts in helping put down the weak willed traitor scum should make for an excellent tale or three.

A sanguinius novel is a must, how he saw what would happen before it did with his gift of foresight... the psychological aspect would be really interesting. And some detail about how he killed all those bloodthirsters would be cool, too... ^_^

@Rorschach: wouldnt the fact the TS did the same crimes as Magnus make them traitors to the Emperor also? They all knew of the verdict from Nikea, and all chose to continue their practices.

As did Wyrdmake :P

i dont remember Wyrdmake using psychic powers after the Council of Nikea, nor turning his psychic powers upon his allies.

or using a daemon spell power by living souls to breach the psychic defense of terra.

WLK

As did Wyrdmake -_-

i dont remember Wyrdmake using psychic powers after the Council of Nikea, nor turning his psychic powers upon his allies.

or using a daemon spell power by living souls to breach the psychic defense of terra.

WLK

He defended himself against Ahriman but that's it and he can hardly be blamed for that, it was self defence.

Yes a World Eaters book (done right!) is something I'm really looking forward to. An entire legion of Skraals, Ehrlens and Kharns led by the nigh on unstoppable Angron himself. Hopefully it'll show just how good the World Eaters were and how deep down all the other legions were somewhat scared of them.

When you've got a nut no other legion can crack, send for the Eaters of Worlds.

As did Wyrdmake :)

WLK

He defended himself against Ahriman but that's it and he can hardly be blamed for that, it was self defence.

(from the way the book depicts it) The Thousand Sons also used their powers in self defense on Shrike. The daemon spell was primarily Magnus' doing more so than the legion. He himself said that he alone would bear the consequences. I bring this up because your original point primarily asks if the Thousand Sons committing the same crimes as Magnus make them traitors. Imo, the Thousand Sons either used their powers in self defense (like Wyrdmake did in the warp) or were under orders to. The latter situation becomes the same situation as the Nuremberg trials where in which the people in question are stuck either following orders, dying or everything in between. As a result, they didn't exactly commit the same crimes as Magnus unless you throw out the "self-defense" argument where in which Wyrdmake would also fall into that same category post-Nikea.

EDIT: right and back on topic. I'm actually hoping for a World Eater book done by ADB. An army of Skraals and Erhlens that slowly turn into an army of Uzas. Sounds like a good read to me.

Nikea happened after Shrike though where the Emperor forbade it.

They were also about to be under physical attack from the SW. They could have defended themselves without their powers, you know with those weapons they carry around.

Wyrdmake on the other hand was being psychically attacked and the only way he can defend himself is psychically seen as Ahriman wasn't in his vicinity.

Hmm good point. I mainly mentioned Shrike because WLK brought up the point of the TS turning their powers on their allies. I was thinking he was referencing Shrike in that moment.

But on Prospero, it can also be seen that they used their powers out of self defense because the Wolves were attacking and burning their home planet.

Which is where I believe the self-defense idea maybe moot to some degree. It was an order by the Emperor himself. Wyrdmake could have let himself die out of principle since it would be better to die than defy the Emperor's creed. Even if he did somehow survive the encounter with Ahriman in the warp, he still used his powers to defend himself and is therefore a traitor.

The Thousand Sons are no exception to this which is why I give Magnus credit for not wanting to attack and for Ahriman issuing the order to not use powers at the end. But in the end, with the self-defense idea ruled out, the Thousand Sons can be considered traitors as much as Wyrdmake would be.

Actually, on the Wyrdmake-Ahriman fight, how would you guys rule who was defending themselves? It just seems like Ahriman never really did a hostile act (unless of course you count yanking your corporeal self out of your physical body, but then Wyrdmake was already looking for Ahriman so I wouldn't really consider it a hostile action from my perspective). Wyrdmake on the other hand was the first one to raise a hand (staff) against Ahriman during their chat, and then proceeded to attack Ahriman first. At least, thats how I view it anyway.

Archived