FAQ Letter Challenge!

Morticon

FAQ Letter Pledge !  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

EDIT: Please only choose one of the two options on the poll if you honestly intend doing so! Thanks in advance!

To all those gamers out there that are even just a little frustrated or annoyed with the small crop of RAW anomalies that have reared their ugly heads in this codex I extend and open the following challenge;

And you Mods....lead by example :devil: OMG - JamesI - Jazzman - I'm lookin at you ;)

From the period of NOW until May 31st I challenge you all to write at least one polite letter (though preferably more) to the following address:

Matt Ward / Games Development

C/O Games Workshop LTD

Willow Rd, Lenton

Nottingham

NG7 2WS

England

* Feel free to post your letter here if you feel you need feedback or proof-reading.

* DO NOT - I repeat do not get into rules discussion in this thread. This thread is simply to aid the writers of the FAQ Challenge write decent, polite letters to Alessio - the current head of FAQ issues.

* DO NOT bother discussing whether this will or wont be effective. This thread is for people pro-active enough to do something in order to make a change for their gaming benefit.

* Once you have MAILED your letter - let us know!

* If you are unsure of the FAQ issues you can check the thread in the stickies (we will open a revised one very soon).

Alternatively, you can check below for a list of current FAQ questions. (Feel free to cut/paste these).

** Can the Libby dreadnought buy extra armour/searchlight/magna grapple/frag cannon?

** Do vehicles benefit from the Shield of Sanguinius power?

** Can a Storm Raven move flat out and still fire the POTMS?

** Can my assault/devastator/sternguard/DC squads etc, etc. take Land Raiders as Dedicated Transport?

** Is Death Company Tycho part of the death company squad?

** Can a Baal use a smoke launcher in its scout move?

** Can I measure my range to a beacon before placing a deep striking unit/ model?

** Will a walker(or non-Tank vehicle) dragged through infantry by a magna grapple cause Tank Shock?

** Whirlwind and Vindicator weapons are not listed as "blast".

** Do non-jump pack units retain Descent of Angels?

* NOTE - In order for the powers that be to focus on the real burning issues of the codex, please feel free to ask "smaller" rules questions in our own FAQ thread, and leave the difficult and hotly debated issues to the letter. That way we can be assured of it being addressed in the next FAQ.

* NOTE - Please remember to keep your letter polite. There's no need to write in and be offensive, belligerent or otherwise unpleasant.

Good luck!

I have written the following letter - will print and post asap!

And report back here when its posted!

I would like to ask of you or whoever it may be to please include these issues in the BA FAQ when it is released.

If nothing else, please could you address the first four.

RULES QUESTIONS:

1: Librarian Dreadnought Upgrades.

Can the Libby dreadnought buy extra armour/searchlight/magna grapple/frag cannon?

The layout seems a bit poor, as when it replaces all its wargear for the noted wargear, it seems to imply we can’t get extra armour etc.

The ork codex had a similar issue with Nobs of shoota boyz squads getting powerklaws! I would assume the same applies here and we can buy these upgrades after upgrading to a Furioso?

2.: Shield of Sanguinius.

Do vehicles benefit from this power?

This seems really obvious to me and my friends, but I was told it is not the case. I was told vehicles need to be “obscured” in order to take a cover save. This is also the current position various independent FAQs take on the matter according to their understanding of RAW which sadly influences big tournies. Please, please help. To me “any unit” means any unit.

3: Power of the Machine Spirit and Storm Ravens

Can a Storm Raven move flat out and still fire the POTMS?

A casual look at the rules would suggest yes, since we can fire one more than usually permitted. However, this is the first time a combination like this is available and various groups I play in are arguing left,right and centre ! Please help.

4: Dedicated Tranports

Can my assault/devastator/sternguard/DC squads etc, etc. take Land Raiders as Dedicated Transport?

The page reference under each of these squads is for “pg. 90”. Many people and various groups are in debate as to whether this is exclusive or whether “any dedicated transport” also refers to the Land Raiders on Page 91. Help!!

5: Death Company Tycho.

Is Death Company Tycho part of the death company squad?

Although this is obviously implied, there is no mention of how this actually works.

6: Smoke Launchers in Scout move

Can a Baal use a smoke launcher in its scout move?

The 40k rule book states that we can use it after completing a move.

7: Locator beacons and Deep Strike*

Can I measure my range to a beacon before placing a deep striking unit/ model?

The 40k rule book defines the rules for measuring distances and when a measurement should be taken. The rule states, “In general, players are not allowed to measure any distance except when the rules call for it. But, pg. 3 also says that a measurement can be taken, “to work out a rule’s area of effect.”

Which one is it? ><; Is the locator beacon an area of effect?

8: Tank Shock, Walkers and Magna Grapple.

Will a walker(or non-Tank vehicle) dragged through infantry in front of it cause Tank Shock?

Of course only Tanks can Tank Shock, however the rule in the BA dex skips this requirement and simply states that a vehicle will cause Tank Shock if dragged through other units. Is this the case?

ERRATA:

1: Blood Chalice and Chalice of Blood

The Blood Chalice is mentioned in C:BA, pg 48 & 85 under the heading Sanguinary Priests and on pg 84, under Honour Guard. The Chalice of Blood is mentioned under the Options: section for Sanguinary Priest, under the fourth bullet point, “Replace all wargear with Terminator armour with Chalice of Blood and power sword.”

Of course these are the same things – but they are worded differently.

2: Whirlwinds and Vindicators.

Both of these units’ weapons do not have “blast” in their weapon rules. As a result by RAW we cannot use these with blast markers. HELP!

I hope these items weren’t particularly mind numbing. Personally, I think the intent is generally quite clear but it would be good to know one way or the other.

Thank you very much for your time!

I'm sorry- I think the last question is just stupid. No jump packs. No descent of angels. Just reason it out! Everything else though, those are good questions!

I agree. Its why I didnt include it in my letter. That doesnt mean its not asked a lot. Check the FAQ.

You gonna be writing in Burningblood?

I'm sorry- I think the last question is just stupid. No jump packs. No descent of angels. Just reason it out! Everything else though, those are good questions!

* DO NOT - I repeat do not get into rules discussion in this thread. This thread is simply to aid the writers of the FAQ Challenge write decent, polite letters to Alessio - the current head of FAQ issues.

-----------------------------------------------

I'll do one... too, Morti'.

By the way, I think serving all potential players' issues is better than focusing on the issues one personally is at odds with.

What I mean to say is, even if the question is a little stupid, sometimes it's the *cough* stupid people that argue hardest. If they get closed out by a complete FAQ/errata, then the whole community can use the 'dex with greater confidence.

I would do it BUT only if there is some form of E-mail address to send to...:D But I have asked them to put it in writing that you get FNP saves against AP3 things if you have standard Power Armour i.e 3+ I had to get something official due to some people I game with are :) wits.

I would do it BUT only if there is some form of E-mail address to send to...B)

Matey - the whole point is that its a written letter. That you need to post. Emails are dime a dozen and filed away under "dont care".

If they had an email address it would get overrun with inane questions like "can I take a cover save if Jon shot my guys while im like around the wall?" or "can I take a FNP roll vs. an ap3 weapon?" :lol:

The point of the written letter is that not everyone goes through the time and effort and GW judge their incoming physical mail accordingly. ie: if 2 people take the effort to write in about an issue, then maybe 50 people think it but havent.

So....

Which of you lot just have big mouths and which of you have the capability of sending a mail that will cost a buck? :D Challenge is on!

I think this is a fantastic idea Mort and I would like to add 2 or 3 things to the FAQ list here.

1. Clarifications on Magna grapple.

2. When do you check range from a blood chalice to see who gains the effects of FNP and FC. e.g.: If a squad is within 6" of the priest before an assault move but not after do they gain any benefit? Stuff like that.

Just what I would add. I'll consider doing one, but I'm not too sure about sending a letter all the way to the UK. Might be pricey and I'm in the middle of buying an Ardboyz army.

I'd like to double check and make sure that the Death Company's jump pack upgrades are indeed 15 points. 10 points each for honor guard is still a bit steep but 10 points for vanguard make sense, because of the heroic intervention rule, but I have a feeling that Death Company had fleet, just like the Dreadnoughts and Tycho. Matt Ward probably thought that a jump pack movement, then fleet, then assault, with a very assaulty unit, needed a big points sick to balance it, but ended up removing fleet from all jump pack based Death Company, but forgot to drop the jump pack points back down to something realistic, like 5 points...

Still don't see why a marine with 2 attacks base and a jump pack needs to be 30-35 points a model.

I'd like to double check and make sure that the Death Company's jump pack upgrades are indeed 15 points. 10 points each for honor guard is still a bit steep but 10 points for vanguard make sense, because of the heroic intervention rule, but I have a feeling that Death Company had fleet, just like the Dreadnoughts and Tycho. Matt Ward probably thought that a jump pack movement, then fleet, then assault, with a very assaulty unit, needed a big points sick to balance it, but ended up removing fleet from all jump pack based Death Company, but forgot to drop the jump pack points back down to something realistic, like 5 points...

Still don't see why a marine with 2 attacks base and a jump pack needs to be 30-35 points a model.

Well - let us know when your letter is written! However, I have not seen a points change errata in ANY codex since ...well..since I can remember really. Even if you're 100% right, I dont think we will see a change. But post back as soon as you mail your letter!

Just what I would add. I'll consider doing one, but I'm not too sure about sending a letter all the way to the UK. Might be pricey and I'm in the middle of buying an Ardboyz army.

Geez dude- whats a dollar??

As for the issues- sure man, get em in your letter.

Im looking at this thread and looking at all the BA activity in this forum and we only have 4 or 5 pledges to write?

Daaaamn guys. What kind of commitment is that.

*shakes head*

While youre at it why not ask the much debated question.

Can the Doom of Malantai use spirit leech on units that are inside a transport?

(Might be nids related but Blood Angels sometimes also go in a vehicle.)

I´d write one if my English was better, or just good enough to point out the most important aspects politely and in an elegant way.

I hope you don´t mind if I add this request to the list: I´d like to know why our Captains do not have access to artificer armour, and if it was a mistake or done on purpose.

Snorri

I´d write one if my English was better, or just good enough to point out the most important aspects politely and in an elegant way.

I hope you don´t mind if I add this request to the list: I´d like to know why our Captains do not have access to artificer armour, and if it was a mistake or done on purpose.

Snorri

Snorri - I'm gonna write up a template letter than everyone can copy paste to make it any easier.

Also, questions like "are DC reeaaaally 35 points" and "why dnot we get XYZ" fall beyond the scope of this project. Those questions should be directed to Matthew Ward (at the same address). This is purely for the BA FAQ.

Snorri

Snorri - I'm gonna write up a template letter than everyone can copy paste to make it any easier.

Also, questions like "are DC reeaaaally 35 points" and "why dnot we get XYZ" fall beyond the scope of this project. Those questions should be directed to Matthew Ward (at the same address). This is purely for the BA FAQ.

Well, that makes thing easier indeed, thank you very much.

Snorri

Template here:

Matthew Ward

C/O Games Workshop LTD

Willow Rd, Lenton

Nottingham

NG7 2WS

England

Matthew,

Thank you very kindly for taking the time to read this letter and your time in working on the BA codex.

I would like to submit the following questions for inclusion in the next BA FAQ document.

** Can the Libby dreadnought buy extra armour/searchlight/magna grapple/frag cannon?

** Do vehicles benefit from the Shield of Sanguinius power?

** Can a Storm Raven move flat out and still fire the POTMS?

** Can my assault/devastator/sternguard/DC squads etc, etc. take Land Raiders as Dedicated Transport?

** Is Death Company Tycho part of the death company squad?

** Can a Baal use a smoke launcher in its scout move?

** Can I measure my range to a beacon before placing a deep striking unit/ model?

** Will a walker(or non-Tank vehicle) dragged through infantry by a magna grapple cause Tank Shock?

** Whirlwind and Vindicator weapons are not listed as "blast" – is this a typo?

** When do you measure thee range for Furious Charge? Is it at the start of the Assault Phase like the old PDF Corbulo rule, or once all models have moved?

I honestly hope these issues will be included into the next FAQ as they are quite contentious issues among my gaming community.

Thank you once again for your time!

YOUR NAME HERE.

Will try and mail one out on Monday, assuming that the post office won't try charging me $24 for overseas mail, as they usually do. Thanks for the tip about mailing to England only costing around $1.oo, Mort!

** Do non-jump pack units retain Descent of Angels?

[/b][/i]

Please add "if so, is the abilty passed onto the unit's transport." Such as the case with VAS wearing jumpacks in a Stormraven.

Archived