The Rift Lords - Ace's idea for traitors

If it's not a large warband, I wouldn't put money on the Iron Warriors. The Rift Lords have help from other warbands, and if they're fired up with the promise of looting some original-legion quality gear, I suspect they'd go to it with a will.

And what if whomever it is buys the loyality of the Rift Lord's "allies"? Heck some "allies" may even turn because they like the idea of sticking it to "the man" or they find the Rift Lords too preachy.

The Rift Lords don't have numbers, they can't rely on their "allies", their manufacturing ability isn't special, and their region is only protection against those who fear the Warp. Heck any large warband could take over the region, it wouldn't even have to be one of the Legions.

How about the simple fact that there's plenty of other places easier to conquer than the Shroud Stars? I mean, why fight a tough opponent (who isn't really even an enemy) if you don't have to?

Because the region has been created as a hot spot for allot of Chaos warbands, renegades and pirates. It's a nice safe place out of the Imperium's reach, with lots of potential "new recruits" and materials to plunder (ship graveyard + planets + pirates + smugglers). It's not just the Rift Lords small little hiding place that is out of the way.

And what if whomever it is buys the loyality of the Rift Lord's "allies"? Heck some "allies" may even turn because they like the idea of sticking it to "the man" or they find the Rift Lords too preachy.

In Ace's defence the same could be said of the Maelstrom and Huron Blackheart. There isn't a lot stopping anyone taking that over - from the Legions at least - but they don't; why? Well the Legions are pretty set in terms of Homeworld regions, the Eye and the Maelstrom. Actually, that brings up the point that the Red Corsairs and the Word Bearers reside in the Maelstrom and they're not vying for power - perhaps they're more bothered about harming the Imperium than they are each other.

However, I can think of 600ish things that would love to change things if the portents demanded it. :)

Edited by Ferrus Manus

The difference though is that the Red Corsairs aren't a small warband. They are a very large force with allot of bite to back up their bark, and their territory is fortified to a crazy degree. Edited by Heru Talon

and the next Black Crusade could come from the north. :)

Maybe Yorkshire is actually a Rift Lord cell HQ? :lol:

Back on-topic, from what I've read so far (middle to end of page 2) it is great! :tu: And I can't wait to read more! :D

Ludovic

Edit:

*I was thinking DIY warbands/traitor chapters/renegades, mostly for if anyone else wants to make use of the Shroud Stars. :D

I do! *jumps up and down, waving his arms*

Edited by Battle-Brother Ludovic

I spent a while trying to write out a good reason as to why the Rift Lords haven't been squashed by one of the legions yet, but accidentally got rid of it.

In short, all I could come up with was invading forces would be brought to the attention of the Imperial forces sitting nearby long before they reached the Shroud, doing damage and giving the Rift Lords time to muster up their numbers for a good scrap.

And that's the best I can do.

Any other ideas on how to stop famous chaos warbands from taking my spot will be gratefully received.

EDIT:; Guys, anything talking about the numbers of Rift Lords needs to be more vague. If I don't know how many there are, how can anyone else? :D

Banking on there only being a certain amount of Rift Lords will almost always be a poor investment.

Maybe Yorkshire is actually a Rift Lord cell HQ?

Bah goom, lad, Ah don't know what thy means.

P'raps thee'd best pray to 'Gods f'r guidance... :jaw:

Edited by Ace Debonair

That, and the fact that the Wraiths are there, and they have such an amazing reputation which they have strived so hard to build?

If your going to have the Wraiths stationed there, you do have to take into account what there IT (albeit WIP) says.

That too, of course.

Which means the Rift Lords can't rely on being able to offer a better price to your mercenaries, can they? :D

Some folks are bound to be able to make better offers, after all.

That, and the fact that the Wraiths are there, and they have such an amazing reputation which they have strived so hard to build?

If your going to have the Wraiths stationed there, you do have to take into account what there IT (albeit WIP) says.

That too, of course.

Which means the Rift Lords can't rely on being able to offer a better price to your mercenaries, can they? :D

Some folks are bound to be able to make better offers, after all.

I don't quite understand the question.

I spent a while trying to write out a good reason as to why the Rift Lords haven't been squashed by one of the legions yet, but accidentally got rid of it.

In short, all I could come up with was invading forces would be brought to the attention of the Imperial forces sitting nearby long before they reached the Shroud, doing damage and giving the Rift Lords time to muster up their numbers for a good scrap.

And that's the best I can do.

Any other ideas on how to stop famous chaos warbands from taking my spot will be gratefully received.

I gave you a good "aircraft control Daemon" + Warp funnels reason. Even if some of the others thought it would make the Rift Lords "too awesome".* + **

EDIT:; Guys, anything talking about the numbers of Rift Lords needs to be more vague. If I don't know how many there are, how can anyone else? :D

Banking on there only being a certain amount of Rift Lords will almost always be a poor investment.

That's the thing, if your numbers are vague there likely isn't all that many of them. Once you get to a certain number it becomes impossible to hide how big your warband really is, and it means they won't be able to sneak past the Imperial forces "sitting nearby" either.

*= Which is weird considering that the Rift Lords have to be awesome enough to be Top Dog.

** = The idea isn' "too awesome" either, because it's not a "Galaxy spanning" thing, it's just the Shroud Stars.

Dont forget the Iron Dragons have a little posy there and will back the Rift Lords up. Their IT is undergoing a re-write but expect more Chaos loving and more Traitor Legion hating. Basically they have got themselves a good set-up with a little base thre and they aren't giving it up.

I'm still writing that sidebar I mentioned Ace, about how the Iron Dragons tie in a little with the Shroud Stars and I'll get it too you some day.

Bah goom, lad, Ah don't know what thy means.

P'raps thee'd best pray to 'Gods f'r guidance... :D

You know, I lived in north yorkshire for about 10 years. Tougher than those southern pansies. It's a place where men are real men, and so are the women.

Err, I mean.... :P

*= Which is weird considering that the Rift Lords have to be awesome enough to be Top Dog.

** = The idea isn' "too awesome" either, because it's not a "Galaxy spanning" thing, it's just the Shroud Stars.

The 'awesomeness' thing is not about how powerful or well set up they are, not really. It's how it makes them seem far more capable than others in the galaxy, which isn't good. The late (and lamented) Telveryon (fell off the face of the earth, not dead) put it as the difference between being 'cool' and 'awesome' as two ends of the same spectrum.

Awesome being the end of the stick that deals with the chapters who have 40 battle barges and 20 chapter master-like characters along with five companies of veterans in land raiders. That's the 'awesome' factor. Or more accurately the 'my marines are so cool' factor. It can happen to anyone who is far too enthralled with their own creation to look at them objectively, which is what the Liber is for.

Cool be the chapter not having all those 'awesome' extras, instead making them an interesting and believable read. They can still be powerful and masterful in some areas, it just dictates better writing rather than using crutches like the aforementioned 'awesome' things.

Dont forget the Iron Dragons have a little posy there and will back the Rift Lords up. Their IT is undergoing a re-write but expect more Chaos loving and more Traitor Legion hating. Basically they have got themselves a good set-up with a little base thre and they aren't giving it up.

Thing is guys, Ace's IT can't rely on yours. It can't support itself when it's based on someone elses work in order to be complete, it has to stand on it's own. Regardless of the Wraiths and the Iron Dragons the Rift Lords have to be able to stand on their own to some degree and your collective IT's cannot be an integral part of this one.

Not only that DAT, if your Wraiths can support an entire other warband that themselves control an entire region of space and provide enough of a deterrance to any other warband or legion that want's to take control of the Shroud Stars, they are entirely too 'awesome'. You really think the Black Legion or the Iron Warriors would be deterred based on the Wraiths reputation when they have their own resume's that stretch back to the Great Crusade? Couple that with the typical arrogance of Chaos Marines and the longest living astartes commanders this side of Dante and you're not going to do too well.

Thing is guys, Ace's IT can't rely on yours. It can't support itself when it's based on someone elses work in order to be complete, it has to stand on it's own. Regardless of the Wraiths and the Iron Dragons the Rift Lords have to be able to stand on their own to some degree and your collective IT's cannot be an integral part of this one.

Exactly, Ace's IT shouldn't mention any of the 2 or 3 known Chapter's that the Rift Lords have under their command unless it is in a sidebar - that's all. And the same goes for yours. IF you need to talk about the Shroud Stars (in your IT) do so, but don't name drop the other Chapters as it will just detract focus from the IT.

I gave you a good "aircraft control Daemon" + Warp funnels reason. Even if some of the others thought it would make the Rift Lords "too awesome".

Would that work though, if the other chaos forces aren't really worried by warp storms and the like? :rolleyes:

If it would, then cool. :D

Awesome being the end of the stick that deals with the chapters who have 40 battle barges and 20 chapter master-like characters along with five companies of veterans in land raiders. That's the 'awesome' factor. Or more accurately the 'my marines are so cool' factor. It can happen to anyone who is far too enthralled with their own creation to look at them objectively, which is what the Liber is for.

Cool be the chapter not having all those 'awesome' extras, instead making them an interesting and believable read. They can still be powerful and masterful in some areas, it just dictates better writing rather than using crutches like the aforementioned 'awesome' things.

OK. So, which end of the spectrum are the Rift Lords at, and could their credibility survive the further addition of a demonic presence that can control (to some degree) all the warp storms and stuff?

Exactly, Ace's IT shouldn't mention any of the 2 or 3 known Chapter's that the Rift Lords have under their command unless it is in a sidebar - that's all. And the same goes for yours. IF you need to talk about the Shroud Stars (in your IT) do so, but don't name drop the other Chapters as it will just detract focus from the IT.

That's true enough. I don't really have room to talk about warbands in the Shroud Stars, other than quickly mentioning that there are some. :lol:

Besides, if the forces in the Shroud Stars are numerous and powerful enough to fight a chaos legion, I'm sure the Imperium would be pursuing the total destruction of the Shroud Stars more agressively.

I always knew the Rift Lords were going to generate problems for me somewhere. :P

All this reasoning and contemplation is hurting my brain. :lol:

Not only that DAT, if your Wraiths can support an entire other warband that themselves control an entire region of space and provide enough of a deterrance to any other warband or legion that want's to take control of the Shroud Stars, they are entirely too 'awesome'. You really think the Black Legion or the Iron Warriors would be deterred based on the Wraiths reputation when they have their own resume's that stretch back to the Great Crusade? Couple that with the typical arrogance of Chaos Marines and the longest living astartes commanders this side of Dante and you're not going to do too well.

This is a discussion for another thread, but basicly they don't control any space at all, and the only way they can find the Wraiths to attack them is to contact a representitive. The Wraiths are constantly hiding themselves just so they don't get attacked. Most of the Wraiths are at the Shroud Stars - At the moment, there are about 450 Wraiths there, which is a full 70% of their forces.

I gave you a good "aircraft control Daemon" + Warp funnels reason. Even if some of the others thought it would make the Rift Lords "too awesome".

Would that work though, if the other chaos forces aren't really worried by warp storms and the like? :)

If it would, then cool. :D

Chaos forces aren't worried about Warp exposure, they are going to be just as worried as everyone else when it comes to trying to travel through an area effected by a Warp storm (their ships are just as vulernable to the Warp currents crushing their ships as everyone else). I already mentioned this in a previous post.

and could their credibility survive the further addition of a demonic presence that can control (to some degree) all the warp storms and stuff?

No that would indeed be too awesome, the ACD I was talking about just plotted courses through the region so the Rift Lord ships wouldn't get shallowed up by a Warp funnel or tossed around in an unexpected Warp storm. I also already went over this in a previous post.

and could their credibility survive the further addition of a demonic presence that can control (to some degree) all the warp storms and stuff?

No that would indeed be too awesome, the ACD I was talking about just plotted courses through the region so the Rift Lord ships wouldn't get shallowed up by a Warp funnel or tossed around in an unexpected Warp storm. I also already went over this in a previous post.

That was actually in referrence to your idea. :)

Pray excuse my sloppy wording though, 'cause even I can see I didn't write that down right.

Maybe the Rift Lords reactivated the weapon systems of some of the ships drifting around in the Shroud stars. These then could inflict some serrious damage on any enemy trying to conquer the Shroud stars.

You could also have the space hulk containing a Astartes ship with tech to create new marines in the loyalist way. This would give your warband a way to keep the varrious warbands under their control by providing them with new marines (for a price ofcourse). They could then threaten to destroy the tech if they would be overrun.

These are just some idea's I had, use them if you want.

At the moment, there are about 450 Wraiths there, which is a full 70% of their forces.`

Frankly this makes no difference. The legions can bring forces to bear that can threaten the entire Imperium, how can 450 wraiths stand against that which has destroyed entire chapters before?

Your wraiths aren't preventing anyone from making a serious takeover bid for the shroud stars, that's all I'm trying to say, which is what you inferred earlier.

At the moment, there are about 450 Wraiths there, which is a full 70% of their forces.`

Frankly this makes no difference. The legions can bring forces to bear that can threaten the entire Imperium, how can 450 wraiths stand against that which has destroyed entire chapters before?

Your wraiths aren't preventing anyone from making a serious takeover bid for the shroud stars, that's all I'm trying to say, which is what you inferred earlier.

True. That isn't to say they would make no difference, they would still pose a serious threat, but they wouldn't be the only nor the most powerful factor there.

I was thinking that perhaps the SSs' bordered are patrolled by the Imperial Navy and various Astartes chapters - making it severely awkward to get in and out of. That might prevent any other warbands wanting to take it over, cause they would have to first face the might of the Imperium to get there.

I was thinking that perhaps the SSs' bordered are patrolled by the Imperial Navy and various Astartes chapters - making it severely awkward to get in and out of. That might prevent any other warbands wanting to take it over, cause they would have to first face the might of the Imperium to get there.

I'll support this. Might make a good source for some serious scraps in the Rift Lords history, or perhaps plot lines?