What is your best assault unit?

Here are the ones I have enjoyed using the most so far:

Death Company

Lemartes

5x Death Company Marine/jump packs, 3x power sword, power fist, infernus pistol

I put them in Stormraven (extra armor, twin linked lascannon, twin linked multi-melta) and run them straight at the enemy. Note that they typically have a Death Company dreadnaught armed with Blood Talons along for the ride. They will kill just about anything they charge but the Death Company does not last long when the opponent then focus fires upon them. It's fun to scare the crap out of my opponents with this unit.

Terminators

Recluisarch/meltabombs

Corbulo

5x assault terminator/4x pair of lightning claws & thunderhammer/stormshield

This combined unit can either ride in an LRC (extra armor & pintle mounted multi-melta) or a Stormraven (see above configuration). They also do amazing things in close combat but the advantage of this unit is they can weather a lot of enemy shooting. I played an IG army the second mission of the Ard Boyz preliminary round and they took out a 30 man blob of guardsmen in two rounds of close combat then blew up some tanks. I use the stormshield to absorb lascannons and save Corbulo's reroll for this save. They soaked up two squads of veterans blasting at them with plasmaguns before assaulting the tanks and I only lost two of the lightning claw termies.

Assault Marines

Sanguinary Priest/power sword & infernus pistol

9x assault Marine/meltagun, thunderhammer & stormshield

I have been running this unit either with jump packs (add one more assault Marine with a flamer) or take a landraider (extra armor) as a dedicated transport. This unit has been doing suprisingly well and it's probably my favorite of the three. It really doesn't hurt when they decide to suffer from the Red Thirst & become fearless. The thunderhammer is really great at tackling big nasties like lash princes. I plan on adding a Chaplain for the jump infantry version.

I also want to experiment with a squad of Vanguard veterans (jump packs):

Sergeant - thunderhammer & stormshield, meltabombs

4x Veteran - 4x lightning claw & stormshield, meltabombs

Expensive but probably the most durable due to all the shields. I would run them with a Priest and stick them in a Stormraven as well.

0b :)

As I have mentioned my current fun Deathstar is 7 Assault Terminators (4 LC, 3 TH/SS) a Reclusiarch and a Priest in a LRC. They charge out, the Priest stays in and you have a scary Furious Charginging unit that re-rolls their missed hit in the turn they charge and half of them re-roll missed wounds which isn't a lot at strength 5 and the guys that don't re-roll have the STR 9 Thunder Hammers in the first round.

Its a bit unorthodox but in my last game I ran this unit and it proved to be quite the work horse! My opponent really didnt know what to make of it considering that I was running Blood Angles. Anyway the unit proved to be indefatigable.

Cannoness w/ Blessed Weapon, Book, Litanies of Faith

Sisters of Battle Squad w/ 20 girls, VSS with power weapon

Inquisitorial Priest w/ power weapon

Heres how it works:

Use Litanies of Faith to give all 20 Girls 3++ armor while marching across the table.

Keep Corbulo near by to give all 20 Girls FNP / FC bonus.

WH Priest grants reroll missed hits when squad charges

Use act of faiths to give 2+ Str, rending or both

Use Corbulo's reroll if you fail an act of faith

Watch opponent squirm as you multicharge several units and declare that your girls are going to reroll all of their str 6 rending hits.

VSS and Priest will also reroll missed hits and strike at str 6 rending only with power weapons

Canoness will be doing the same only at str 8 rending and again with a power weapon.

BTW this unit is scoring so after you finish crushing the squads you attacked march over to an objective and watch your opponent try and dislodge it.

P.S. I know this thread is all about cc but rapid firing this squad into a blob of guards mens is a lot of fun as well.

The problem with that type unit is they are very susceptible to being charged themselves... Blood Angels can hit them on 3+ with the reroll & wound on 2+. sure you can convert your armor save to an invulnerable save but they take so many wounds it doesn't really matter.

0b :tu:

My favorite is 8 Vanguard, power fist, thunder hammer, power weapon, sanguinary priest with power weapon, reclusiarch.

In what-size games do you normally run a unit like that? I've been looking at a very similar load-out for mine, but I'm having a harder and harder time mashing them into my lists what with troops being so critical nowadays. It's a shame because the VAS has always been my favorite unit.

In smaller (around 1000 point) games i've been running this:

a Librarian with a Jump pack, a Sang Priest with a Jump pack and 10 assault marines with Thunder/ Infernus Pistol on the the Sgt and to meltaguns. Against the other sorts of things I have encountered it has been deadly on the charge with unleash rage.

Only this week, I assaulted 6 nurgle bikers and wiped them out on the charge, destroyed a vindicator with melta and 3 spawn where slain (my own assault marines!) before finally charging into a plague marine unit in which the librarian cut down the spawning nurgle sorcerer.

Obviously going to be less potent in against more powerful opponents but I have yet to find anything too tough at 1000.

Kind regards,

GotR

Obviously going to be less potent in against more powerful opponents but I have yet to find anything too tough at 1000.

Kind regards,

GotR

You'll devastate all but the toughest units with a squad like that. The mix of having Furious Charge and rerolls to hit in close combat is absolutely brutal. Other Marines are basically no challenge if you get to assault since you strike before them and both hit and wound with ease. If you want to make the unit slightly more killy for the same cost, exchange the Sergeant's infernus pistol for a power weapon or lightning claw on the Priest. Remember that Priests have an impressive Weapon Skill so can dish out a lot of punishment.

Currently, I'm running squads as follows:

Librarian with Unleash Rage, Shield of Sanguinius and hand flamer

8 Assault Marines, Sergeant with power fist, 1 with meltagun

Sanguinary Priest with bolt pistol and power weapon

Rhino transport with extra armor

It's a pretty expensive package all rolled up into one Rhino so can be vulnerable to being knocked out of the game early on and then needing to footslog into position, but when these units work, they really work. I managed to kill a full squad of 10 Tactical Marines in close combat after killing 2 from firing the Librarian's hand flamer and the Assault Marine's meltagun.

I have been using a 5 Terminators (3Hammer/2 LC) and a Librarian in Termie Armour out Land Raider Redeemer. With a Priest nearby and unleash rage they seem to be doing well.

I think a DC of about 8 Charging out of a Raider or Stormraven with 1 Hammer, 1 Fist and 1 PSword and led by a Chaplin would be a pretty potent combo too!

As I have mentioned my current fun Deathstar is 7 Assault Terminators (4 LC, 3 TH/SS) a Reclusiarch and a Priest in a LRC. They charge out, the Priest stays in and you have a scary Furious Charginging unit that re-rolls their missed hit in the turn they charge and half of them re-roll missed wounds which isn't a lot at strength 5 and the guys that don't re-roll have the STR 9 Thunder Hammers in the first round.

My ones close, at the moment its 7 assualt termies (4LC, 3TH) and a termie libby. However I was sure you can only get 8 terminator size models in a LRC???? no room for a 9th even if its a non termie priest. ???

My ones close, at the moment its 7 assualt termies (4LC, 3TH) and a termie libby. However I was sure you can only get 8 terminator size models in a LRC???? no room for a 9th even if its a non termie priest. ???

I would say that the Priest and the Reclusiarch are only in PowerArmour and then it would work

I would say that the Priest and the Reclusiarch are only in PowerArmour and then it would work

Hey yeah, I suppose that would work. Never thought of that. Thats my prob resolved as was trying to get a priest in with them as well.

My favorite is 8 Vanguard, power fist, thunder hammer, power weapon, sanguinary priest with power weapon, reclusiarch.

In what-size games do you normally run a unit like that? I've been looking at a very similar load-out for mine, but I'm having a harder and harder time mashing them into my lists what with troops being so critical nowadays. It's a shame because the VAS has always been my favorite unit.

Here's a link to my blog entry where this list is being discussed.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...979#comment3216

I currently run 10 deathcompany, 3 powersword plus a fist in a landraider crusader lead by a reclusiarch. Having had devastating luck yesterday, 2 power sword armed deathcompany guys plus the reclusiarch charged and subsequently wiped out a unit of 9 plague marines in once combat. It was about all i managed to kill in that game.

Astorath and Jump Pack Death Company make light work of pretty much everything. Especially Assault Terminators. Shame they cos as much as a full 5 man Term Squad with Librarian and Chaplain in a Land Raider though

The current Assault unit that I'm using to take on Nob Bikers and that dastardly Wazdakka Gutsmek are 10 Death Company with Power sword, a Chappy and Mephiston charging out of a Land Raider Crusader. Quite expensive but I want to be prepared.

The current Assault unit that I'm using to take on Nob Bikers and that dastardly Wazdakka Gutsmek are 10 Death Company with Power sword, a Chappy and Mephiston charging out of a Land Raider Crusader. Quite expensive but I want to be prepared.

Also illegal. Thats 2 units in a transport (The DC and attached chaplain are one unit, Mephiston is another unit)

Mephiston can not be attached to a squad.

Current favs are:

Honour Guard with Blood Champ, Chapter Banner and another Power Weapon and JP's With A Rec Chap. Nasty on the charge and can dish out a huge mass of damage if charged as well. "Free" priest as well is nice.

VV's squad of 6/7 with JP's and 2 additional PW's Use as my anti-mob unit. Deep Strike and charge.

Furioso Dread with flamer and blood talons as well. The blender. Makes me think of the DOW2 intro "I have come to destroy you!"

Archived