What is your best assault unit?

My favorite so far is Seth with a Honor guard squad with a priest. All guard with power weapons with the banner. Each honor guard member gets 5, str 5 power weapon attacks on the charge :D. I have been putting them in a rhino, but I am considering throwing them in a LR with a chaplain as well.

I would have to say:

10 Assault Marines + 2x Meltagun + Power Fist on the Sarge. Jump Packs.

1 Librarian with Shield and Unleash Rage + JP

1 Sanguinary Priest with Power weapon and JP.

In my first game I took down two units of 8 Genestealers, a unit of three Zoanthropes and a Tyrant with two Guards, all in close combat.

By the end of the game only the sarge, the priest and the libby were still alive out of that unit, but nonetheless, they more or less won me the game on their own.

It was very satisfying to see how hard it was for my opponent to kill them, also all the rerolls did wonders when feeble rolls turned into devastating rolls.

Since I'm from the old-school of fighting 'nids (when they were more or less unbeatable) I was almost shocked when I witnessed the awesomesauce-ness of this unit in close combat.

I use Mephiston as my assault unit these days, he sure does pack a hell of a punch and can cut through squads with ease. The Psychic Hood is also very good as you need it's protection anyway.

My hammer lately has been a 10 man death co. with hammer/fist led by lemartes in a storm raven accompanied by a death co dread with talons.

Its so far into the overkill category its not even funny... they usually put out 25+ wounds on whatever they charge, with Lemmy killing almost anything before it can even strike. Then the next phase the enemy generally diverts his whole armies fire into them, leaving the rest of my army free to close in for the mop up.

Archived