The Marines Exemplar

Argon

Okay, I have begun building the first chapter master and he will be based on this model:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_Custom...ain_445x319.jpg

I'll do some customizing (chapter badge, iron halo, personal coat of arms) but, given time constraints, my approach has to be minimalistic. I also haven't thought of a good name yet so if you got an idea already, go ahead and tell me. Rules will come in a final step but I got a few ideas for that already as well.

Awesome.

My original draft had him as "Aelanius", formerly of the Ultramarines. That can be changed as you wish, but try to get the model finished first, obviously.

I'm working on the writing part as I can. It's coming together as a history of the Astartes Praeses type thing directly from the Exemplar's Librarium.

My original draft had him as "Aelanius", formerly of the Ultramarines. That can be changed as you wish, but try to get the model finished first, obviously.

Hm... Not bad, although I think he needs a more... bellicose name. But we still have time for that.

I'm working on the writing part as I can. It's coming together as a history of the Astartes Praeses type thing directly from the Exemplar's Librarium.

Now that is a really good idea. Can't wait to see what you're thinking up!

P.S.: What will make up our February update we're required to post?

We're working on the origins of the Chapter, aren't we?

Yeah, right. Sorry, I'm not quite myself at the moment - real life's a real *BEEP* at the moment.

Only gripe I have with the customizing right now is that the chapter symbol always looks a bit crude compared to the painted ones because I can't do it so detailed when I only have a few millimeters space to work on... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, here's my part of the Iron Gauntlet February Challenge:

First Chapter Master Gregoire

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww164/earlofgrey/Special/chaptermaster_02.jpg

RULES

WS:6 BS:5 S:4 T:4 W:4 I:5 A:3/4 Ld:10 Sv:2+/4+

[245 points]

WARGEAR

- Artificier Armor -

- Iron Halo -

- Power Fist -

- Power Sword -

- Bolt Pistol -

- Frag + Krak Grenades -

SPECIAL RULES

- They Shall Know No Fear -

- Combat Tactics -

- Independent Character -

- Orbital Bombardment -

- Inspiring Presence -

- Feel No Pain -

- Relics of the Chapter -

Notes:

• Wargear modifiying the stats has already been incorporated into the above stat line.
  • "Relics of the Chapter" functions like the old "Master-Crafted Weapons" special rule: both the power fist and the power sword count as master-crafted and may re-roll one failed hit roll per turn.

• 2 weeks later...

A few ideas regarding origins: Since we decided it's Ultramarines geneseed we can assume that a core cadre came from the Ultramarines chapter - that's make Gregoire an ex-Ultramarine. Let's say all the senior officers were therefore drawn from their ranks - the chapter master, the company captains, the Master of Sanctity, the Chief Librarian and the Master of the Forge.

It'd also make sense in my opinion to have at least one veteran sergeant drawn from the Ultramarines for each company, including one for the first company having been awarded the Crux Terminatus. Those would then train new aspirants until the chapter was at full strength and combat-ready; after that is accomplished they's serve for a variable amount of time with their respective companies until they get promoted to the First Company or became captains themselves.

Technically it is also possible that a bigger number of Ultramarines would be drawn to form a bigger cadre of experienced warriors to train the aspirants faster, although I'm not quite sure how many (company strength seems a bit too excessive). In theory it's also possible that the chapter receives instructors in the form of Ultramarines which would return to their parent chapter after it has been ascertained that the Exemplars can be deployed and that indeed only the core cadre would reamin and change affiliation.

A few ideas regarding origins: Since we decided it's Ultramarines geneseed we can assume that a core cadre came from the Ultramarines chapter - that's make Gregoire an ex-Ultramarine. Let's say all the senior officers were therefore drawn from their ranks - the chapter master, the company captains, the Master of Sanctity, the Chief Librarian and the Master of the Forge.

It'd also make sense in my opinion to have at least one veteran sergeant drawn from the Ultramarines for each company, including one for the first company having been awarded the Crux Terminatus. Those would then train new aspirants until the chapter was at full strength and combat-ready; after that is accomplished they's serve for a variable amount of time with their respective companies until they get promoted to the First Company or became captains themselves.

Technically it is also possible that a bigger number of Ultramarines would be drawn to form a bigger cadre of experienced warriors to train the aspirants faster, although I'm not quite sure how many (company strength seems a bit too excessive). In theory it's also possible that the chapter receives instructors in the form of Ultramarines which would return to their parent chapter after it has been ascertained that the Exemplars can be deployed and that indeed only the core cadre would reamin and change affiliation.

I was going to go with an Ultramarines cadre myself, so we're already in agreement.

IIRC, the new chapter fights alongside their "parent" chapter until they're large enough to support themselves. IAs don't usually concern themselves with the minutiae of every event they cover. They somehow end up with a MotF and a Chief Librarian.

Also, I don't think the Liber has ever established just how large the training cadre is. Again, I'm not sure it really matters.

I was going to go with an Ultramarines cadre myself, so we're already in agreement.

Good. Would have been surprised if you had suggested soemthing else.

IIRC, the new chapter fights alongside their "parent" chapter until they're large enough to support themselves. IAs don't usually concern themselves with the minutiae of every event they cover. They somehow end up with a MotF and a Chief Librarian.

That also makes sense an I believe I have read that as well. Training is good, but the freshly promoted squad sergeants neeed proper comabt experience as well and only one experienced squad sergeant per company certainly is too little.

But which minutiae we don't need to cover? If an IA is supposed to fit on an A4 sheet or two I believe we already have enough information... :P What then is too much and what is enough? DO we jsut write one sentence about a cadre of Ultramarines being transferred to form the core of a new chapter?

Also, I don't think the Liber has ever established just how large the training cadre is. Again, I'm not sure it really matters.

Probabaly not - I just wwent with what I thought would be sensible and how they did it in the German army during WW2. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Two things:

1. I recieved a Space Marines Battleforce as an early birthday gift, so my 3rd Company strike force has begun in earnest.

2. I'm beginning work on the actual IA, using what we have so far.

1. I recieved a Space Marines Battleforce as an early birthday gift, so my 3rd Company strike force has begun in earnest.

Cool! Why 3rd? And what makes the 8th Company Captain so special?

My time's mostly been taken up with painting and work, but I already got a sizeable part of my March entry ready; I expect to have it finished and posted tomorrow.

I suppose we add/delete/change stuff once we have a first draft?

Cool! Why 3rd? And what makes the 8th Company Captain so special?

Red shoulder trims means less painting ^_^ .

I'm going with the 8th Company Captain because I was inspired by an especially awesome looking Vanguard a guy at my local game shop converted.

My time's mostly been taken up with painting and work, but I already got a sizeable part of my March entry ready; I expect to have it finished and posted tomorrow.

I suppose we add/delete/change stuff once we have a first draft?

I suppose.

Red shoulder trims means less painting ;) .

I still don't believe shoulder trim denotes company color. Apart from not really being deducible from the few official artworks we have, it'd look really STUPID on them. But I have made my statement regarding shoulder trim earlier in this thread. And judging from the picture that float about the net, absolutely everyone has got his own ides about how the color scheme should look.

I'm going with the 8th Company Captain because I was inspired by an especially awesome looking Vanguard a guy at my local game shop converted.

Must have been an inspiring model for sure!

• 1 year later...
I apologise in advance for the threadomancy but has anything come of this article just got back into 40k and chose Marines Exemplar for my new army, and I would be intrigued to know if a finished IA for the chapter is available.

• 1 month later...

Man, haven't been here in ages - obviously. Real life has a habit of cactching up with me A LOT. :)

Anyway, I'm afraid what you see here is all we currently got. So how's your army doing? Any progress? maybe we can pick up where we left and bring this one to an end...

Archived