The Marines Exemplar

Argon

Nope. Not about to, either. Trying to parse out what the author is currently thinking from seven pages of discussion is neither fun nor efficient.

srry, still trying to figure out the quote system, anyway you also need to read the first blog, there is a link to it on the first post on this discussion

Argon, do you happen to have all bits of our fluff stowed away in an extra document or will we still need to piece together what we already have?

Honestly, I just committed the basics to memory and came back to this thread for the details.

With that, we should probably summarize what we have. If Octavulg says we should, it's probably a good idea. I'll get right on it.

EDIT: Done and done.

yo whee can i find it?

The word yo hurts my eyes. I'm all for slang and what not, but that just causes me pain.

That aside, I'd better get to work and add something productive :)

-Prefer energy weapons (like plasma guns and lascannons)

Why? Cleansing? Lascannons and Plasma guns are more advanced pieces of weaponry requiring a higher maintenance standard, and in the Plasma case, are actually more dangerous. What is their reasoning for this? Do they prefer the "pure" nature of such weapons?

Homeworld:

-Most native fauna and some flora can kill you (or at the very least ruin your day)

In a majority desert world, the biggest threat is usually the heat and lack of water. Plants and animals are a secondary threat, because they suffer under the same yoke. Perhaps mention that the desert itself is definitely a threat? Otherwise, Death World is always a good start :D

-Exemplars recruit primarily from Necris.

-Aspirants make pilgramage across desert. First test.

What is the motivation to journey across the desert? Local legend? Have they seen the Exemplars in action at some point in the past, thus spawning the legend? Not hugely important mind you, since you don't need too much detail, I'm just curious.

-Aspirants must pass every test. Those that do must complete last challenge: Kill a rock dragon (big nasty reptile, think Komodo Dragon on steroids) by yourself.

-Aspirants that succeed in killing rock dragon are allowed into chapter.

This is going to lead to a pretty low recruiting rate, and their ability to recoup losses will be severely diminished. Three big tests, each one most likely weeding out a lot of potential recruits; after which they still run the risk of rejecting organs, etc etc.

-Fortress-monestary "Arx Fatalis" is in northern mountains.

-STC standard fortress monestary.

Is there a "standard" for Fortress Monasteries? I was under the assumption that each is a hugely different structure in design, material, and general look. Compare the Fang to the Fortress of Hera.

Greater piety than most chapters stemming from constant battles against Chaos. This isn't to say that they're like the Black Templars or Imperial Word Bearers, just that they might spend a slightly greater amount of time in prayer and things like that.

Do they view less pure chapters with disdain, disgust, or mistrust? With constant battles against Chaos, have they lost many member to betrayal or general disloyalty? Not saying they should, just curious. "Those who fight monsters...."

-----------------------------------------------

Good start overall. Solid outline, definitely some good building blocks. What section are you guys addressing now?

sorry for it being off topic, i was just wondering, I've had them in Military college, anyway it's good to be critical, just be carefull cause these guys have been working on this for over a year now and so far i really like what they have come up with and i like the concept of ur questions, gonna make the overall project really detailed

Why? Cleansing? Lascannons and Plasma guns are more advanced pieces of weaponry requiring a higher maintenance standard, and in the Plasma case, are actually more dangerous. What is their reasoning for this? Do they prefer the "pure" nature of such weapons?

Yup, that's more or less it. Usually flamers are for cleansing, but flamers also aren't that effective. If you want an enemy to not stand uop again you hit him with something big or something that hurts (esepcially when most of those enemies are wearing power armor or hail from the Warp).

In a majority desert world, the biggest threat is usually the heat and lack of water. Plants and animals are a secondary threat, because they suffer under the same yoke. Perhaps mention that the desert itself is definitely a threat? Otherwise, Death World is always a good start :)

Debatable. What lives in teh desert has adapted to such a degree that it doesn't suffer like something/someone not being used to live there. And if we assume that every plant and creature is very resilient and can not only withstand the climate but other predators as well (to a bigger or lesser degree depending upon the position in the foodchain). Of course the desert in itself already is deadly enough. But even on Dune there were the worms...

What is the motivation to journey across the desert? Local legend? Have they seen the Exemplars in action at some point in the past, thus spawning the legend? Not hugely important mind you, since you don't need too much detail, I'm just curious.

Well, it simply is required if a boy wants to become an Angel of Death. Maybe we can say there are certain legends that explain the pilgrimage in detail and how the first of the settlers became one of the Emperor's Angels because of his devotion and skill, as a reward from the Emperor himself. Therefore it's required to do exactly the same for every boy aspiring to become on of these legendary warriors.

Said legend(s) would tell the tale of the journey of the first settler (who most likely had a vision that he was required to go to a place where he was to be tested by the Emperor's divine warriors - and which accidentally would be the arena below the fortress-monastery) and all the hardships he endured, the perils he faced and the obstacles he overcame. From this legend results the current recruiting ritual.

This is going to lead to a pretty low recruiting rate, and their ability to recoup losses will be severely diminished. Three big tests, each one most likely weeding out a lot of potential recruits; after which they still run the risk of rejecting organs, etc etc.

It isn't like every chapter recruits hundreds of aspirants every year. I think it is mroe realistic to assume that only a handful of worthy aspirants are found each year - or more every decade or so. Apart from that we said "primarily". We can assume there are additional planets/systems from which the chapter recruits in turn so the intake rate would be sufficient. ut fluff tells us that a depleted chapters indeed needs decades to fully rebuild and replenish its numbers.

Is there a "standard" for Fortress Monasteries? I was under the assumption that each is a hugely different structure in design, material, and general look. Compare the Fang to the Fortress of Hera.

Fair enough, although I assume there are STC parts to be found in each fortress-monastery's construction. And just because they are "decorated" differently doesn't mean they're actually that different. We only have one real picture of The Maw, and even that very likely isn't true to what we consider it looking nowadays.

Do they view less pure chapters with disdain, disgust, or mistrust? With constant battles against Chaos, have they lost many member to betrayal or general disloyalty? Not saying they should, just curious. "Those who fight monsters...."

Interesting question. Would depend on how far we go - we do not know what makes a Praeses chapter special, but there are the Red Hutners and the Exorcists. We'll have to think about this.

In a majority desert world, the biggest threat is usually the heat and lack of water. Plants and animals are a secondary threat, because they suffer under the same yoke. Perhaps mention that the desert itself is definitely a threat? Otherwise, Death World is always a good start :D

Debatable. What lives in teh desert has adapted to such a degree that it doesn't suffer like something/someone not being used to live there. And if we assume that every plant and creature is very resilient and can not only withstand the climate but other predators as well (to a bigger or lesser degree depending upon the position in the foodchain). Of course the desert in itself already is deadly enough. But even on Dune there were the worms...

Honestly, I thought it was somewhat implied with being a desert.

Well, it simply is required if a boy wants to become an Angel of Death. Maybe we can say there are certain legends that explain the pilgrimage in detail and how the first of the settlers became one of the Emperor's Angels because of his devotion and skill, as a reward from the Emperor himself. Therefore it's required to do exactly the same for every boy aspiring to become on of these legendary warriors.

Said legend(s) would tell the tale of the journey of the first settler (who most likely had a vision that he was required to go to a place where he was to be tested by the Emperor's divine warriors - and which accidentally would be the arena below the fortress-monastery) and all the hardships he endured, the perils he faced and the obstacles he overcame. From this legend results the current recruiting ritual.

I thought it just made sense. The people of Necris (Necrians?) are pious. Doing something like a pilgrimage would make sense for them. It also fits the Exemplars purposes, which is always nice :lol:

It isn't like every chapter recruits hundreds of aspirants every year. I think it is mroe realistic to assume that only a handful of worthy aspirants are found each year - or more every decade or so. Apart from that we said "primarily". We can assume there are additional planets/systems from which the chapter recruits in turn so the intake rate would be sufficient. ut fluff tells us that a depleted chapters indeed needs decades to fully rebuild and replenish its numbers.

You do have a point though, Shinzaren. It's entirely possible the Exemplar's standards are a little too high.

Fair enough, although I assume there are STC parts to be found in each fortress-monastery's construction. And just because they are "decorated" differently doesn't mean they're actually that different. We only have one real picture of The Maw, and even that very likely isn't true to what we consider it looking nowadays.

What I meant be "STC standard" was that the Arx Fatalis has the same capabilities and facilities as most other fortress monestaries.

Interesting question. Would depend on how far we go - we do not know what makes a Praeses chapter special, but there are the Red Hutners and the Exorcists. We'll have to think about this.

The chapter has lost at least one battle-brother to Chaos, as has every chapter that isn't the Grey Knights. That sort of extends into their organization with the multiple chaplains and librarians assigned to the Battle Companies to watch for corruption.

Also, the Red Hunters and Exorcists aren't named as Praeses chapters. This isn't to say they couldn't be, but as far as I know the Red Hunters just work very closely with the Inquisition and the Exorcists are more or less Grey Knights Lite.

any ways, i think we should start developing characters now

If you want to, go for it. Personally, I want to make an Index Astartes for the Exemplars, so that's what I'm going to do. Characters can come later.

If you want to, go for it. Personally, I want to make an Index Astartes for the Exemplars, so that's what I'm going to do. Characters can come later.

My opinion as well. If we haven't nailed down exactly how the chapter looks like, we'll only end up with goofy charaters not fitting the vision.

My opinion as well. If we haven't nailed down exactly how the chapter looks like, we'll only end up with goofy charaters not fitting the vision.

Like Sir Arthur Invincibalus, Lord of the Round Table Knights. Leader of Men and Machine, and Grand Crusader of the Invincible Blood Templars, who supported the Ultrafists in their campaign against the Orkz of Supakillkanz.

look brothers, im sorry for the way i guess ive represented my self on this. i guess im still a noob when it comes to these things. I agree and will utterly respect everything you guys say and come up with because i dont have anything else to base them on, but what i was thinking about their attitude is for them to be incredibly reserved with a underlying yet relentless aggression about them that they can control. Like the imperial fists during the Iron cage engagement, they fight like lions, but have a menacing tone about them, this is the way i see the Exemplars, quiet, reserved, cunning with defense and long range assaults but go utterly berserk when in close combat with the enemy

look brothers, im sorry for the way i guess ive represented my self on this. i guess im still a noob when it comes to these things. I agree and will utterly respect everything you guys say and come up with because i dont have anything else to base them on, but what i was thinking about their attitude is for them to be incredibly reserved with a underlying yet relentless aggression about them that they can control. Like the imperial fists during the Iron cage engagement, they fight like lions, but have a menacing tone about them, this is the way i see the Exemplars, quiet, reserved, cunning with defense and long range assaults but go utterly berserk when in close combat with the enemy

Hold on to that thought. Sounds interesting and will certainly be useful when we deal with the demeeanour of the chapter. For now we're still discussing beliefs.

I actually like Shinzaren's proposition that we think about how the Exemplars view other chapters or what their general attitude to certain "things 40K" are. If they maybe dislike citizens not coming from "pure" or very pious worlds etc. Would indeed give them more substance...

Hold on to that thought. Sounds interesting and will certainly be useful when we deal with the demeeanour of the chapter. For now we're still discussing beliefs.

I might just steal that for my Oblivion Knights, actually. That sounds really good.

Also, their beliefs would affect the chapter's demeanor somewhat.

I actually like Shinzaren's proposition that we think about how the Exemplars view other chapters or what their general attitude to certain "things 40K" are. If they maybe dislike citizens not coming from "pure" or very pious worlds etc. Would indeed give them more substance...

That would actually give them some more substance. I'm assuming they'd dislike people who come from worlds they percieve as "impure" or something similar. That would also affect inter-chapter relations. Perhaps they'd be suspicious of chapters they felt were "doing it wrong"?

Also, their beliefs would affect the chapter's demeanor somewhat.

Absolutely. But beliefs are the essentialpart and opnce we have those nailed down, the demeanour will be quite easy to describe.

That would actually give them some more substance. I'm assuming they'd dislike people who come from worlds they percieve as "impure" or something similar. That would also affect inter-chapter relations. Perhaps they'd be suspicious of chapters they felt were "doing it wrong"?

Yes, somthing like that... hive worlds being certainly impure due to the pollution of the planet and the corruption affecting the populace; chapters like the Relictors or Black Dragons being certainly impure or even heretical in the eyes of an Exemplar. Other chapters with less obvious mutations and/or "barbaric" traditions (Space Wolves? White Scars?) might be viewd with some disdain or at least reservation.

Archived