IA: Death Heads

Donkey Kong

Heru Talon

...I dub your Chapter the "AQUAMARINES!"

There you go something as "hur hur" stupid as the "Ultramarines".

It may just blow your mind, but they already exist. Look for yourself.

I was aware of Phil's Chapter. I was making a point (and my cognitive implants were frying with "MARINES!!!").

However, Marines Viridian does sound nice.

Amusingly I didn't even know that Viridian was a colour when I smashed it onto MARINES!!!, let alone a colour that is very similar to the one your Chapter currently uses. It's probably the best MARINES!!! name you'll get for your guys.

Edited by Heru Talon

I blame Apothe and CJJ, the former for making me giggle, and the latter because he always seems to derail things (trains, threads, go-carts, etc.).

Yeah, I have a startling predeliction for derailment.. It isn't purposeful, it just.. Happens.

Why "Marines ______"? What is it that - Gods forgive me - floats your boat with that type of name?

Yeah, first things first. They need a new name. Again. The First Company got the name the Black Spots and the Chapter itself needs a new name. There's defiantly something ironic about this considering the first three pages of this thread are dedicated to getting a name to the First Company, and now they have one, but the Chapter doesn't. I like the idea of Chapters with Marines in their name somewhere. Marines Malevolent, Nova Marines, Ultramarines is quite clever, it's a "c wut i did thar? Hur, hur, hur" kind of vibe, but, clever is clever, and Pirates were that amongst other things.

What's with this nonsense? Call them Robber Sparrows and be done with it... :lol:

*cough*

Ok, ok. Joking aside I think the Death Heads was quite witty name.

Now obviously, as right and proper pirates, my boys in green won't have any of this "returning to the rightful owner" nonsense. Now the only question is what treasure would be worthy of seeking out? Ecclesiarchy Relics, STCs, teeth violently bashed out of an Ork Warboss's abomination of a skull, Vance Stubbs's 100 Baneblades, anything else?

- What about looking for means to revive the Emperor. Heretical, I know.

- Or Chaos/Xeno/Archeotech stuff, because it doesn't belong in the hands of naughty boys.

I was making a point

Does the point apply even more to Phil for not only considering it, but applying it :P ?

Why "Marines ______"? What is it that - Gods forgive me - floats your boat with that type of name?

Personally, I think the Marines Malevolent have a cool name. They don't need to be named the [blank] Marines or Marines [blank], and I'm open to suggestions for names regardless, it's just that makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. I also like that it sort of plays along with the nautical themes of the Chapter. I'd rather not name them Corsairs, and Marines fits the context.

Call them Robber Sparrows

I would, but then GHY would probably kill me :) !

Joking aside I think the Death Heads was quite witty name.

I still have that niggling in the back of my head that it's just too close to Death's Heads, the Legio Mortis.

What about looking for means to revive the Emperor. Heretical, I know.

Isn't Russ doing that already? The second question would be what exactly they would be looking for, and won't it get in the way of bashing in skulls?

- Or Chaos/Xeno/Archeotech stuff, because it doesn't belong in the hands of naughty boys.

I don't know if that would wander into Relicator territory, but I could imagine the Chapter taking back redeemable artifacts and weapons from heretics.

Personally, I think the Marines Malevolent have a cool name. They don't need to be named the [blank] Marines or Marines [blank], and I'm open to suggestions for names regardless, it's just that makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. I also like that it sort of plays along with the nautical themes of the Chapter. I'd rather not name them Corsairs, and Marines fits the context.

I have this thing for names that are "Iron _____" so I know where you're coming from.

Now, on that note: Iron Reavers

I would, but then GHY would probably kill me :D !

Yes! Fear me!

*cough*

Ahem, well, it's true. I'd have to burn your monastery to the ground on such... grounds....eh.

Anyway, do less of that thing and more of the thing that improves the IA, just to provide something positive-ish for good measure.

:D

And on the name, yeah Iron doesn't work for me here. Iron sinks, specifically, but that's just my mind running things weirdly.

Reavers is ok but it seems a little cliche, as would Corsairs in the same situation. I'd suggest something a little bit left of field but still relevant, but I can't think of anything when I'm this hungry, sadly. I'll return once fed and suggest something substantial, or commit Hari-Kari.

Edited by Grey Hunter Ydalir

The Chapter doesn't strike me as the "Iron" type. Reavers might work, though.

Viridian Reavers? :(

Reavermarines?

Reavers of Uft'ni?

Skull Reavers? (Probably already taken - it sounds like a name that someone else will have used already)

Soul Reavers Star Reavers?

I don't know if that would wander into Relicator territory, but I could imagine the Chapter taking back redeemable artifacts and weapons from heretics.

Yes and No.

The Relictors are using Chaos artifacts against Chaos. Your Chapter could be just "taking care" of dangerous technology or weapons.

Reavers is ok but it seems a little cliche, as would Corsairs in the same situation. I'd suggest something a little bit left of field but still relevant, but I can't think of anything when I'm this hungry, sadly. I'll return once fed and suggest something substantial, or commit Hari-Kari.

*the japanese fan in NightrawenII screams in agony*

You meant Harakiri, right? :(

Astral Reavers - Spacey and piratey.. If those are words.

Sounds alright, and if they weren't already, they are now :HQ: .

Viridian Reavers

Eh.

Reavermarines

No! Bad Ace! Bad!

The Relictors are using Chaos artifacts against Chaos. Your Chapter could be just "taking care" of dangerous technology or weapons.

What if they made use of weapons similar to Logan Grimnar's axe, possessed and then purified?

Also, might stir up everything again, but I think Children works in names. Unfortunately, it's not seen very often, I guess no one can think of anything besides the Emperor's Children when they do.

Also, I'd rather avoid putting Uft'ni in the name, simply because I think I'll be rolling with the fleet based Chapter.

Astral Reavers - Spacey and piratey.. If those are words.

Sounds alright, and if they weren't already, they are now :lol:

- That's why they pay me the big bucks... :HQ:

Also, might stir up everything again, but I think Children works in names. Unfortunately, it's not seen very often, I guess no one can think of anything besides the Emperor's Children when they do.

- I think of the really bad movie "Children of Men".

IA update. Name still needs to be decided. Also, concerning the Flotilla, are there any suggestions for how it should be done? Right now the only named "Battle Barge" I have is the Nausicaa. I hope this section may be the only abuse of age in the IA, but I assume the fleet would be larger than most and have some larger ships too. GHY asked me if I was considering any space station deal like the Imperial Fists' Phalanx. So, should the Chapter have a space station, or should it have lots of ships in a more Eternal Crusader style?

Any comments are more than welcome.

Origins

Born from the ashes of the Horus Heresy, the [Chapter] would be among the first to breathe new life into the Imperium after centuries of self destruction and decay. Senior Sergeant Caphon Derii of the White Consuls would be the first to teach his fledgling brothers to soar. A child of Calth, Derii bore witness to the Word Bearer's attack on his home as a neophyte of the Ultramarine Legion. His vengeance would be taken in the years following the siege of Terra, as a Battle Brother of the White Consuls, during the heretics' push into the Eye of Terror. By the turn of the Millennium, the High Lords of Terra sought leaders to raise the next generation of Astartes, and none were more fit to answer.

Flotilla

Recruits are drawn from a number of worlds through the construction and maintenance of Chapter Keeps on a number of worlds.

Sidebar

The first world to construct a Chapter Keep, Uft'ni is a monument to the Imperium, and a lasting tale of the treachery it has suffered. A world of city spires built during the time of Old Night, it was peacefully assimilated in the Emperor's Great Crusade. However, it's metal mountains would soon after be drowned in the chaos that followed.

In the Heretic's push towards Terra, Uft'ni was prepared as a bulwark against the traitors' advance. The hive cities bore witness to the fiercest fighting of the Heresy excluding the traitor legions. Fierce combat ruined the hive cities, and left Imperial forces in shambles. With the ever looming threat of defeat, the decision came to bombard the ice caps from orbit, and flood the world. Only the tallest spires escaped the rising waters. Untold trillions drowned, Uft'ni and heretic alike.

The world's new seas changed more than geography. Countless nobles who had gone into underground bunkers with the families, and drowned in the torrent, left Uft'ni aristocracy frighteningly thin. A world now populated by warlords and their warriors, both members of house armies and planetary defense forces, as well as civilians armed to fight the foe. All still loyal to the Emperor, ages of debate and infighting would ensue, eventually leading to the council of warlords, and their representatives, rotating the title of planetary governor as the powers shifted. Passing centuries brought more changes as terrifying monsters rose from the depths of new oceans. Whether creations of heretical powers or natural creations, none would ever know. The very existence of these horrors, the most fearsome amongst them to be the kraken, brought change to the new lives of the Uft'ni.

Derii came to this divided world in hopes of refitting his forces for their eternal crusade. Greeted by the stories of the Horus Heresy, this world fascinated him. The greatest mark upon it's people in recent times would become the Chapter's new heraldry, the kraken that lurked in impenetrable, azure depths. Like him, Uft'ni wore its wounds as trophies. Like Derii, Uft'ni would father Astartes.

Chapter Organization

A child of Calth, and veteran of the White Consuls, Caphon Derii would craft his Chapter as his gene-father, Roboute Gulliman, would have desired. In accordance with the Codex Astartes, Derii's [Chapter] would have ten companies, and a thousand Astartes between them.

The First Company is made of veterans drawn from its four battle companies. Each brother is a hero amongst heroes, a legend of the Chapter. Brothers of the First Company would come to be known as Black Spots for Uft'ni omens of doom. The Black Spots wear their namesake with their heraldry, a single dot between the mandibles of the Kraken. Black Spots seconded to the Inquisition through the Deathwatch wear the mark on their helmets, on the forehead of their skulls, impossible to identify on the traditional black skull worn by the First Company. These venerable warriors are trained in the art of using the Chapter's suits of Tactical Dreadnought Armor, and are spread amongst the four battle companies to aid Captains and foster learning amongst their brothers.

The Chapter's Second through Fifth Companies are the Chapter's battle companies, comprised of venerable warriors in traditional squad arrangements. The Sixth through Ninth Companies are comprised of new warriors, held in reserve to reinforce the first four and support them with additional numbers. The Tenth Company is made of neophytes, recruits from all Keep worlds, to be tempered and tested before advancing to the reserve companies. Those that fail die in battle or continue to serve their would-be brothers as serfs. Each company is led by a Captain, a veteran of the First selected to lead their brothers to war.

Combat Doctrine

The [CHAPTER] are learned in the countless methods of waging war found in the Codex Astartes. However, generations of hate have given the Death Heads a preference for ferocious shock and awe. Achieved through orbital drops instead of traditional charges. This tactic has left [CHAPTER] with an affinity for close quarters combat, spilling blood with bayonets and blades more often than bolters. In keeping with this tradition, commanders are more likely to forgo armor in favor of lighter, faster vehicles.

It is tradition for all warriors, devout servants of the Emperor, who wear the kraken to fight shoulder to shoulder. Apothecaries, Chaplains, Librarians, Veterans and neophytes alike, are expected to abide by this unspoken law. To avoid combat is dishonor, comparable to retreat. Brotherhood is forged in blood, and the [CHAPTER] seal theirs in the fires of war.

Pride has led to many unnecessary deaths, as [CHAPTER] have fought toward objectives with unparalleled determination and defended their ground with relentless fortitude. Commanders will refuse to yield unless ordered to by superior battle brothers. Imperials have both praised and persecuted the [CHAPTER] for the stubbornness, remarking upon admirable conviction, or hardheaded stupidity. For the Death Heads, the opinions of outsiders matters little. Death before dishonor.

Chapter Cult

Caphon Derii and Uft'ni have both taken their part in shaping the core beliefs of the Death Heads, a combined cult of Imperial loyalty and tribal tradition. The Uft'ni Warlords traditionally wore kraken helmets, and Caphon Derii would begin the same tradition amongst his Chapter. The Death Heads would use their new earned role as Derii's warriors, and each Captain would don a helmet, crafted by the Chapter's forge to meet the standards of the Astartes, and the aesthetic majesty of the Warlords. This seal would bond the Chapter and their first Keep World.

The Changing of Faces is has been a practice since the Chapter's founding. The skull mark, originally adopted from Derii's own remembrance of Calth, was the first to be used as both the Chapter's heraldry, and a mark worn by all of it's brothers. Every initiate, upon entering the Chapter, an initiate earns his “face”. The first face has always been a human skull, a mark of everything that the initiate is, and nothing at all. Age changed the face into more than a mark of the Chapter, but a mark of the individual. In the ceremonies following battles, battle brothers who believe they have surpassed their previous achievements tell of their new victory. Their feat is judged in the company of their brothers, and if declared worthy, the skull of foe they have becomes their new face.

Trophy taking has long coincided with the mentality of [CHAPTER]. Bones, trinkets, and reclaimed relics are only a few of the treasures that brothers take to bolster their worth. Marks of blood are shown as red markings on armor, serving as symbols of brotherhood within the Chapter, and, on occasion, with Astartes from other chapters.

Trophies claimed from the battlefield are shared with the Chapter, and given to Reclusiarchs and Librarians to determine their worth. Often, they are returned to their founder with ceremony. However, more often than not, they are rejected. These barbaric decorations often receive ill responses from fellow Astartes, declaring them worthless at best, and heretical at worst.

These claims have never endangered the Chapter's relationship with the Imperium. The Chapter's fixation on purity stems from a common thread that first connected Caphon to Uft'ni, the hatred of the traitor. As modern carriers of the Emperor's will, the [CHAPTER] embody his creed for the expansion of humanity. However, those who would turn from the Emperor are far worse than those who already stand in His way. Mutants and Xenos, too ignorant of his grand design, are undeserving to bask in the Emperor's light. Heretics know better, and have willingly chosen to deny the bountiful gifts offered to them given by the Emperor, foremost amongst them are their lives – the [CHAPTER] are eager to exact His dues.

Edited by KingHongKong

Marines Viridian

The Umibozu

Star/Astral/Void Reavers

Void Reapers*

Blood Sharks*

Void Raiders

* = New FW named Chapters with zero background:

In the general course of the Imperium's histories, or the order of battle of it's military might, the Carcharodons have no real official existence in recent history. They simply feature nowhere within the open record, and likewise the Chapter has no known officially recorded battle honours. While further confusion is evident based on potential mis-identification with other lesser-known Chapters operating with similar nomenclature and symbology (re:'Void Reapers', 'Blood Sharks', etc).

I was also thinking maybe something Crow (in relation to the Crow's Nest)....

Edited by Heru Talon

I agree with GHY on Marines Viridian, so the Marines idea is out the window. No interest in the Umibozu, and I'm not using the Forge World names.

So that leaves Reavers or Raiders of the Astral and Star variety.

Astral Raiders

Astral Reavers

Star Raiders

Star Reavers

Considering the lighting and eagle heraldry that will carry over in the Chapter, I think Storm, Lightning, or Thunder could work somehow. I don't like Crows, though. Twa Corbies has made it so I can never take them seriously.

I actually like the Astral Reavers. Although I'm disappointed that you are now changing the name of the Deaths Head (will anything remain the same???) I understand completely. Besides that, I never really liked the name Deaths Head, although it kinda grew on me (like barnacles). So in short my vote is for Astral Reavers, although it still doesn't quite sound right.

No! Bad Ace! Bad!

That's the thanks I get for torturing my brain for names with 'marines' in for you? :lol:

Admittedly, I couldn't think of any that actually sounded good.

I like Star Raiders/Reavers out of the suggested names.

I'm not just being contrary to CJJ and SP, honest. ^_^

Color wise, I think the Chapter is more celadon than viridian.

I think I'll be going with Astral Reavers, mostly because there's something that doesn't sit right with me about plundering a star (Star Reavers). Sorry, CJJ.

will anything remain the same???

You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs. I'm sure Astral Reavers will grow to fit.

That's the thanks I get for torturing my brain for names with 'marines' in for you?

Ace, if you'd typed something like Mareavers I would have found a way to punch you through the internet. You're very lucky :D .

I came up with an idea for the fleet, now it's an issue of whether or not it's too cool to use for infringing on the grounds of awesome. So, here it goes: We know how some Chaos splinters like to raid and steal ships? I think the Astral Reavers would have a fairly large fleet. Made up of ships that have been stolen back from the traitor scum who had the never to take them in the first place.

I think I'll be going with Astral Reavers, mostly because there's something that doesn't sit right with me about plundering a star (Star Reavers). Sorry, CJJ.

:D

Damn you! Now I need to another other name for the Star Hippos Starstriders.

This is my curse, I give the best ideas to other people, dammit.

I came up with an idea for the fleet, now it's an issue of whether or not it's too cool to use for infringing on the grounds of awesome. So, here it goes: We know how some Chaos splinters like to raid and steal ships? I think the Astral Reavers would have a fairly large fleet. Made up of ships that have been stolen back from the traitor scum who had the never to take them in the first place.

I went along the same lines - in my notes - for the Starstriders.

Because they operate on the fringes, what they need they take from their enemies - good fluffily because you can echo somewhat the Space Wolves with their Battlebarge/Grand Crusier.

I have too much going on in the way of committments to give this a thorough scouring, but I thought that you might like my input on this particular point.

My main Chapter is fleet-based and operates far from the typical Imperial logistical centers, with a huge, honking permanent warpstorm/daemongate just happening to screen them from the rest of their allies most of the time. I, too, wanted to let them take prize ships and keep them for their own use, and I'd justified the philosophical side of things by deciding that the Exonerators' lack of regard for conventional military command allowed for them to hold onto the more valuable and powerful of their conquests because they'd believe that the ships would be squandered in the hands of Navy Captains and Admirals. While talking it over with Octavulg, he pointed out something which I believe you'll have to solve as well if you want to go the same way that I'm still trying to.

Where do your Marines come up with refit and resupply facilities for ships that are literally small cities, how do they conceal them from the Imperial authorities that get antsy about the fact that Astartes have frigates with lances, how do they man the ships with competent menials, ratings, and officers, how are they keeping the Mechanicus quiet or where are they getting help if not the Boys from Mars, and why would they choose a series of very large and complex vessels over the nearly infinitely cheaper, easier to justify, and easier to maintain escort-class ships?

For what it's worth, I was going to have the Exonerators based on a large, one-off or previously unknown ship that was smaller and less awesome than the Phalanx but larger than any standard Imperial hull. I've since backed away from that and started looking at Battlefleet Gothic for inspiration on a properly enormous but still plausible home for them, along with their Battle Barges, Strike Cruisers, et al. Right now, I have my heart set on an Oberon-class Battleship, which is arguably about two to three times the size of the already enormous Battle Barges, carries launch and recovery bays that could be refitted for Thunderhawks, is armed with the intention of long-distance solo patrols without a need for escorts, and could conceivably carry most of the Chapter if I was dumb enough to put them all on a single ship. Even that's going to take some creative wrangling in terms of explaining how my guys keep it up and combat ready, how they've convinced the Mechanicus to service it for them without giving them away, and how they've gotten away with having it. The piracy, or at least salvaging of hulls, is going to continue, but I'll probably just have them mothballing the ships against the future that they're working towards, when the Imperium doesn't suck so much (from their point of view).

Edited by Apothete

:: Looks at Imperial Armour 9 & 10 ::

In the aftermath of the battle, the Executioners took the Night as their prize. With assistance of the Archmagos masters of Gryphonne IV they successfully purged the mighty warship of taint and refitted it to the Chapter's purposes. In return the Magos were allowed to remove certain relic-technologies from the vessel and were granted free access to the ancient and unique lore stored in it's data-tabernacle.

Fewer than a hundred Inceptors Battle Brothers survived the Euxcine incident, while the Minotaurs stripped the fallen of many relics for their own armouries and took the ravaged Chapter's flagship, a Great Crusade-era assault transport that had served the Inceptors since their founding, as a spoil of war.

Their reputation has been long-marred however by those that would call the Sons of Medusa battlefield scavengers and carrion crows. This is thanks to their tendency to seek out and appropriate weapons and technology from the fallen; a habit learned during the lean years of their exile. It is said of the Sons of Medusa by their detractors that the desire to take wargear remains an underlying motive of theirs, and a principal reason they have never shunned combat against their fellow Space Marine Chapters who have turned renegade or that become subject to Imperial censure.

Like many Chapters who are fated to stand guard over far-flung border frontiers, or carry out armed vigils on dark regions of the galaxy where dread threats slumber, the Mantis Warriors have long stood alone in their watch, their autonomy seldon challenged and with none to come to their aid should events overtake them...

...The Mantis Warriors Chapter fleet stood at a single battle barge, three strike cruisers, two vanguard cruisers, six armed transports and at least nineteen escort and attack vessels of varying types and classes, including several formerly renegade and re-commissioned xenos vessels that the Chapter utilised for infiltration attacks.

...the infamous Night Hag was formerly the flagship of the darkly fated Rogue Trader house of Revvokan which fell to Chaos before being wiped out by the Imperium, and the ship itself was refitted and claimed as a prize of battle by the Executioners Chapter.

Serving as the flagship of the Carcharodons Chapter' fleet during the Badab War, the Nicor was itself an ancient relic, a heavily modified example of a Charibdys class Grand Cruiser, a type seldom seen since the days of the Horus Heresy.