Blood Angels Dipping Tutorial

Rrail

The Army Painter varnish does in my experience give that dusty look on some parts of the model. I'm not sure how to eliminate it either because it doesn't occur with any recognizable pattern.

I will also admit the varnish gives what I call a "frosty" look sometimes. I haven't quite figured it out either. I think its technique, you need to use it sparingly at a 12"+ distance. Regardless - it does take away the shine

It definitely takes the shine away, and the "dusty" looks doesn't cover the entire model but enough that it's noticeable when you get up close, at a distance they look fine. I'm going to give dipping another shot this weekend but experiment with a different matte finish this time around and see if I can avoid the dusty look. I'm thinking of trying a brush on matte finish has anyone used one of those? If so what were your experiences with it?

The Army Painter Varnish does remove the shine, but I have noticed a "frosty" look as well. I personally don't mind it. I think it's more prevalent when you spray too close. My first model was awful, I used way too much.

My Pure Red Vallejo paint finally arrived so I'm going to test out dipping using a black acryllic gesso primed tactical marine. If it doesn't turn out looking like complete crap I'll post a picture. :)

I, too, use dipping as a fast method for painting most marines. I rather like the look I get from Dark Tone Quickshade over Blood Red but I've still got problems with the shine... every varnish I've tried ends up killing the colors and giving the models kind of gummy-bear look :tu:

3 stages (basic colors, dipped, varnished)

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7394/dsc06263p.jpg

the last one actually looks ok on the pic but in RL its a BA gummy bear ^^ can't order any varnishes that are in pressurized containers so can anyone suggest a quality Matt Varnish that doesn't suck and comes in a regular bottle? ;)

Archived