The Primarchs

In one of the first 3 Horus Heresy books a primarch (I think it was Horus though it may have been Dorn or Sanguinius) stated that each of the primarchs represents a facet or trait of The Emperor. What I am wondering is which primarch represents which trait of the Emperor, I have a few ideas but I thought I'd see what all of you thought.

Jonson- Ambition

Fulgrim- Pride

Perturabo- Logic

Khan- Freedom

Russ- Stubborness

Dorn- Honesty

Curze- Sense of justice

Sanguinius- Divinity

Ferrus- Inner Strength

Angron- Loyalty

Guilliman- Drive for order

Mortarion-

Magnus- Arcane gift

Horus- Charisma

Lorgar- Faith

Vulkan- Self Reliance

Corax-

Alpharius- Intelligance

ok im sorry to make a non productive post but i had to say something. you assigned Angron-Loyalty. really? you gave one of the primarchs that fell to chaos very easily Loyalty. lol thats awesome. i do not mean to offend im just bustin your chops cuz i think its funny but you might want to rethink that one. other than that it looks ok. ill give it a more useful review after some sleep. but i am curious why you gave him loyalty? what are your thoughts on him? to me it just doesnt fit.

I'd say Mortarion was intensity or pure strength. That was the Death Guard's purpose, according to all the IA I've read; to be the anvil in the line that troops dashed themselves against, only to be crushed by the hammer of a counterattack. Perturabo would likely be pure logic. Corax, perhaps swiftness?Dunno about Ferrus or Khan. Ill think about those two later on.

ok im sorry to make a non productive post but i had to say something. you assigned Angron-Loyalty. really? you gave one of the primarchs that fell to chaos very easily Loyalty. lol thats awesome. i do not mean to offend im just bustin your chops cuz i think its funny but you might want to rethink that one. other than that it looks ok. ill give it a more useful review after some sleep. but i am curious why you gave him loyalty? what are your thoughts on him? to me it just doesnt fit.

True Angron wasn't very loyal to The Emperor but he was loyal to his men. In fact in Angrons fluff he originally refused to join the Emperor and instead opted to fight and die with his men in their last stand against his former masters even though he knew his forces would be wiped out. He was forced to abandon his men when the Emperor teleported him away from the battle and onto his ship. So while Angron wasn't loyal to the Emperor he did have a strong sense of loyalty in him. That's why I choose him as representing loyalty

Jonson- Lies

Fulgrim- Drive to achieve his goals

Perturabo- emo

Khan-biker guy

Russ- Barbaic/party

Dorn- Stubborn

Curze- Batman

Sanguinius- Divinity

Ferrus-small hands guy from Burger king commercial

Angron- Angry form of chuck norris

Mortarion-Cold(always sick) side

Magnus- Tattle tail

Horus- Spoiled

Lorgar- Faith

Vulkan- Innovation

Corax-

Alpharius- Intelligance

Jonson- Lies

Perturabo- emo

Khan-biker guy

Russ- Barbaic/party

Dorn- Stubborn

Curze- Batman

Sanguinius- Divinity

Ferrus-small hands guy from Burger king commercial

Angron- Angry form of chuck norris

Mortarion-Cold(always sick) side

Magnus- Tattle tail

Horus- Spoiled

Lorgar- Faith

Vulkan- Innovation

Corax-

Alpharius- Intelligance

Not exactly what I ment when I created this. I'm not against jokes but this isn't about bashing the primarchs, lets keep it productive

sorry, couldn't resist :D

Jonson- Honor

Perturabo- Wanting(jealousy)

Khan-

Russ- Impulsive

Dorn- Stubborness

Curze- Sense of justice

Sanguinius- Divinity

Ferrus-

Angron-Anger

Mortarion- Calm(levelheaded)

Magnus- Gifted

Horus- Leader

Lorgar- Faith

Vulkan- Innovation

Corax-

Alpharius- Intelligance

Whilst it would be great and handy to have each Primarch represent one of the Emperors facets that is not really the case as some of them over lap; Aplharius and Magnus are both his intelligence or thrist for knowlegde etc.

Alpharius did not strike me as someone that is trying to gain more knowledge. He just tries to outsmart or mislead everyone else. Guilliman on the other hand is noted to first having learned everything concerning history, science and philosophy his home world had to offer, then after being found by the Emperor he assimilated all the wonders of the Imperium, and then he collected all the finest doctrines and tactics, even those from other Primarchs, into his Codex Astartes. When Guilliman offered that collected wisdom to Alpharius, he dismissed it because he felt he already knew better.

If there are two scholars among the Primarchs then it's Magnus and Guilliman, but where Magnus' research was focused specifically on the arcane, Guilliman's research was more focused on topics of warfare, history, philosophy, etc.

Whilst it would be great and handy to have each Primarch represent one of the Emperors facets that is not really the case as some of them over lap; Aplharius and Magnus are both his intelligence or thrist for knowlegde etc.

Of course there are traits that overlap I mean Russ and Angron had short tempers, Horus and Guilliman where great leaders, Sanguinius and Magnus had psychic abilities, Dorn and Perturabo where masters at seige, Vulkan and Ferrus Manus where great craftsman. There are always going to be overlapping traits I mean they are genetic brothers. But each Primarch also exemplifies a specific trait or characteristic that they inherited from the Emperor. That is what this is based off of, Alpharius did value knowledge in that it allowed him to outsmart his opponent but his main drive was to prove himself to his brothers. Magnus valued information for the simple reason of knowning more could prove usefull to the Imperium.

Sanguinius holds them all :HQ:

“Sanguinius. It should have been him. He has the vision and strength to carry us to victory, and the wisdom to rule once victory is won. For all his aloof coolness, he alone has the Emperor's soul in his blood. Each of us carries part of our father within us, whether it is his hunger for battle, his psychic talent or his determination to succeed. Sanguinius holds it all. It should have been his...” -- The Warmaster Horus

Sanguinius holds them all :P

“Sanguinius. It should have been him. He has the vision and strength to carry us to victory, and the wisdom to rule once victory is won. For all his aloof coolness, he alone has the Emperor's soul in his blood. Each of us carries part of our father within us, whether it is his hunger for battle, his psychic talent or his determination to succeed. Sanguinius holds it all. It should have been his...” -- The Warmaster Horus

Ok it was Horus who said that I just couldn't remember and din't want to look through my book so thank you Harc_Staven for posting that. And while Horus believed on his death bed that Sanguinius should have been Warmaster this topic isn't about which primarch has the best traits. Its about which primarch represents which aspect of the Emperor :)

....Um I would have to say it goes like this to me, call me out on a mistake.

Jonson- Secrecy

Fulgrim- Perfection

Perturabo- Logic

Khan- Speed

Russ- Ferocity

Dorn- Loyalty

Curze- Fear

Sanguinius- Purity

Ferrus- Endurance

Angron- Rage

Guilliman- Drive

Mortarion- Stubbornness

Magnus- Knowledge

Horus- Charisma (I agree)

Lorgar- Faith (also agree)

Vulkan- Self Reliance

Corax- Tactics

Alpharius- Cunning

All in all I play these games In my head, and this the result.

....Um I would have to say it goes like this to me, call me out on a mistake.

Jonson- Secrecy

Fulgrim- Perfection

Perturabo- Logic

Khan- Speed

Russ- Ferocity

Dorn- Loyalty

Curze- Fear

Sanguinius- Purity

Ferrus- Endurance

Angron- Rage

Guilliman- Drive

Mortarion- Stubbornness

Magnus- Knowledge

Horus- Charisma (I agree)

Lorgar- Faith (also agree)

Vulkan- Self Reliance

Corax- Tactics

Alpharius- Cunning

All in all I play these games In my head, and this the result.

See I just can't see Jonson representing the Emperors secretive side because before the heresy jonson had no secrets, heck even now after the heresy he has no secrets. The Dark Angels are the ones keeping secrets, not The Lion himself. The primarchs aren't responsible for what their legions do after they are gone and the now chapters are only acting in the ways that they believe their primarchs would have wanted. So just because a chapter displays a certain trait dosen't mean that the primarch did.

Johnson was a self interested Primarch. He was ambitious as we see in the two DA novels and was more interested in furthering his own goals than the security of the imperium.

Horus and Johnson were both very ambitious, but i agree with you that Charisma best represents the Warmaster. So i would suggest Ambition or selfishness as Johnson's trait (ambition sounds much better).

I would suggest freedom as the Kahn's trait.

Johnson was a self interested Primarch. He was ambitious as we see in the two DA novels and was more interested in furthering his own goals than the security of the imperium.

Horus and Johnson were both very ambitious, but i agree with you that Charisma best represents the Warmaster. So i would suggest Ambition or selfishness as Johnson's trait (ambition sounds much better).

I would suggest freedom as the Kahn's trait.

I like both of those. I will amend the list

(the Wolves know about the Fallen)

That's news to me.

Me as well. Source?

Ok, Russ was known for his 'no tolerance' policy regarding people who broke oaths, became traitors, sullied his honour etc. while the Lion was known to be a Primarch similar to Dorn; he will follow his quest through to the end, no matter the consequences.

Ok, Russ was known for his 'no tolerance' policy regarding people who broke oaths, became traitors, sullied his honour etc. while the Lion was known to be a Primarch similar to Dorn; he will follow his quest through to the end, no matter the consequences.

Ok so what traits are you saying they represent from the Emperor?

Archived