International Brotherhood of Hobbyists

That is one good looking axe blade. I wish you could get that striped effect using metallic paints (never been fond of NMM myself).

Speaking of metallic paints, how do you all highlight your gold? I've been trying out highlighting (I usually don't do all that sort of thing), and I used a thin line of vomit brown, over my shining gold/dwarf bronze/shining gold layers, and it seems quite good so far. I'll post a picture of my test model if I can ever find a camera.

Brothers, I have excellent news! (For me, anyway.) I was in Enniskillen today (Semi-decently sized town) and visited the Modeeler's Corner. I purchased the Citadel Hobby Starter Kit and a squad of Assault Marines. The Sons of the Sanguine Blade Chapter has begun!

The little clippers are a godsend. No more twisting off pieces from sprues or using blunt, unwieldy scissors to hack them off. Now I just need a fiiile...And a pinvice. And more brushes. Gah.

So, I'm curious. You know the way the Assault Marines have the jump packs, and the harnesses to go with them? Would it be generally accepted as alright to NOT use the chests with the harnesses? Nothing wrong with them, really, s'just I much prefer actually being able to see the normal chest designs.

For those who are curious here is a preliminary draft of the Chapter colour scheme. Any thoughts would be very, very welcome.

I don't think that would be a problem in any way. I didn't notice them until about a month or two after assembling my Assault Squads.

It's really so that the packs would be secured, and removed when they were no longer necessary or ran out of fuel. But hey, the regular packs don't have harnesses, so go ahead.

EDIT: Oh, and congratulations on the clippers. I had to get new ones after mine got confiscated at the airport (to cut a long story... I hadn't intended to have them in my carry-on, but they were). Just don't stab yourself in the thumb with them like I did!

I agree with Normish, I don't think they're super necessary.

And CRAZY goodness on that axe blade Khornate!

Deorai: A word of advice, don't try clipping metal wire/paper clips. It'll put little nicks in the blades and render them useless.. I learned the hard way, then read it in GW How to paint, or something like that. Use a Leatherman, thats what I use. ;)

Duly noted. Thanks for the advice! I had a flash of inspiration while rooting through my bits box, and I think I might use the heads of certain Warriors of Chaos models on the Veterans or Sergeants of my assault sqauds. I'm not sure. I have a lot of interesting shoulder pads from the Marauders set, too, as well as a bunch of weapons I might be able to utilise. Ahh, bits. I do love thee so.

Aye, that axe is gorgeous, Khornate. Kudos!

Looks good KK! :)

Good luck on your endeavor Deorai! :(

Btw guys, I posted my first scratch sculpt in my log on IBH, could you take a look and let me know what you think?

http://brotherhoodofhobbyists.freeforums.o...hp?f=4&t=46

I'd post the model itself, but it isn't board appropriate so I'll link to my log which is somewhat and isn't.

Cheers!

Aj

Looks good KK! :D

Good luck on your endeavor Deorai! :)

Btw guys, I posted my first scratch sculpt in my log on IBH, could you take a look and let me know what you think?

http://brotherhoodofhobbyists.freeforums.o...hp?f=4&t=46

I'd post the model itself, but it isn't board appropriate so I'll link to my log which is somewhat and isn't.

Cheers!

Aj

Pretty good I'd say for your first time sculpting Astador.

Russ

Nice NMM there KK! :D Will you be doing that on all your Sang Guard Blades?

Ludovic

I think i may do what blades i do use,

Figured out I wasnt watering the paints down enough to let the other layers show through and was painting in different directions where as metal grain goes all the same way, Kept to that and that was the result, Im really pleased, Looks even better in RL just couldn't get a decent pic of it :)

As I said on LIVE, the axe looks great KK. The grainy, crystal like surface of the blade works really well, and the gold looks very smooth.

Deorai, congratulations on your purchases, hopefully we'll see some of your Astartes in the hallowed halls of the B&C soon :(.

Astador, great work on the scuplting. I love how the robe is stretched taught over the ribs and that they're showing through the fabric, it's a nice realistic touch. Judging by the skill you've shown on this scratch mini, I think you've found a hidden talent :)

cheers

James

Thanks guys! :( I may have to try my hand at more. I need to get my hands on some spare marine parts. Namely a set of legs and a torso. If anyone has some to donate, please PM me! :)

I'm going to start painting him today I think. But it's the girlfriends birthday so I may not get around to it till tomorrow.

I'll be out of internet starting on the 20th, till the 30th. We're switching providers from Charter to AT&T Uverse, and the guy can't come out for a week after the service expires. :(

But I will try to make it on either from my phone or other sources!

Oh, I know the feeling. When I was living in Kenya, not only was the internet slow and unreliable, but the power would go out without warning.

Now, in the Czech Republic, our internet provider lives down the street from us, and we see him around town occasionally, at the pub or at our neighbors', so no worries there.

Back on topic...

Nice scratch-built model there, Master Chaplain Astador. I wish I could sculpt greenstuff like you. I can only do capes, on occasion. Any tips for a terrible sculptor?

Well I need some opinions guys! What chapter should this model be from!

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/WarForgeStudios/5e955cea.jpg

I have 1 for templar, 1 for BA, and 1 for IF so far. But I am undecided! :)

If I may make a suggestion, sir? Space Shark. He just has that rage-filled, predatory look I always accociated with that chapter.

Edit: May I join this illustious band? I have some talents to bring to the table, and I'm kinda hoping you gentlemen (and women?) can motivate my butt to build and paint.

Thanks guys! :) I may have to try my hand at more. I need to get my hands on some spare marine parts. Namely a set of legs and a torso. If anyone has some to donate, please PM me! :)

I'm going to start painting him today I think. But it's the girlfriends birthday so I may not get around to it till tomorrow.

I'll be out of internet starting on the 20th, till the 30th. We're switching providers from Charter to AT&T Uverse, and the guy can't come out for a week after the service expires. :(

But I will try to make it on either from my phone or other sources!

I too will be in a simular position in a couple of weeks, not changing internet providers but I'll be moving into the house I've been renovating for the past few months. Other than it being nice that we will be once again be living in our own home but it means I'll be that much closer to having a spot to paint again!

I had hopes of setting something up in the apartment we're in now but between my wife and I our various hobbies take up a fair amount of space. I imagine there will be a lag in my internet connection and I may not get the computer totally set up for a few days, I'm just anxious to pick up the brush again, hopefully I remember how to paint :)

Russ

Yeah, sorry guys. By the time the kids are settled down in the evening I have time for either 40k or Halo, and Halo's winning just now...

Thanks for the assists Shorts and Skirax :P

I'll update the members list shortly 1000heathens. As Skirax said, welcome to the IBH

James

Thanks for the welcome. I know how you feel, Pig, my other addiction is Call of Duty, and it often pulls me away from my mini's, lol. Well, I guess I'll introduce myself with a WIP, my Night Lord dread...

gallery_37532_5274_853155.jpg

It was one of the old metal chaos dreads I salvaged from a fella leaving the hobby. I used a spare plastic ven. dread plate, filed away much of the original head and chest off, and greenstuffed the heck outta it. Got a lot to go still, but it's looking promising to me.

Archived