Thunderwolf mounts

Grimtooth

In a sense, everything posted in this thread so far is a conversion, since you have to modify the existing wolf with marine bits and a base to be usable anyway. You could still use the base Snake Eyes wolf straight out of the package as long as you had a marine with some biker legs to go on it.

Everything on the first page that actually gets edited into the thread are production aftermarket thunderwolves, not conversions.

not sure if this has already been posted..... modellierworkshop.blogspot.com/2010/11/wolfpack-resinmasters-finished.html just add the http:// and look it up, some decent looking wolves!

Wow those are nice. Looks like a lot of attention to giving them bionics too, which matches the codex entry. The face on the one that has his mouth closed reminds me of Russ' wolves on the cover of Prospero Burns.

They are seriously good Thunderwolves, though I still love the Mythicast ones more, they are just so nicely sized and have such great character. I have the mythicast ones and my only critism would be the detail is not as good as say a "Forgeworld" model, whereas these ones have some amazing detail, maybe on a par with "Forgeworld"??, difficult to say though unless you have the models in your hands. Still a big fan of Mythicast!

I would have to say, IMHO the TOP 3 best looking, detailed Thunder wolf models that are out there in the "current" market right now are the following:

1) Micro Art Studio

2) Mythicast

3) modellierworkshop.blogspot.com/2010/11/wolfpack-resinmasters-finished.html

• 4 weeks later...

Here are my Thunderwolves finnaly painted by a comission(Luciano Nunes):

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/luiz_perigault/Space%20Wolves/P1000477.jpg

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/luiz_perigault/Space%20Wolves/P1000484-1.jpg

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/luiz_perigault/Space%20Wolves/P1000483.jpg

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/luiz_perigault/Space%20Wolves/P1000482-1.jpg

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/luiz_perigault/Space%20Wolves/P1000476.jpg

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/luiz_perigault/Space%20Wolves/P1000472.jpg

Ran

I find myself with a bit of a dilemma. I need some TWC soon, just to stop feeling so let down by not having them to try out. I can go with ten currently, adding to the Canis Wolfborn model I currently have (had to see how it turned out).

Currently, I am considering two orders of the Mr. Dandy, despite them not being great, because they're affordable at the five for ninety deal. Other than that, please advise, as there don't seem to be any models I can gain access to for low cost.

Do most people tend to not question where TWC models come from in LGS's most of the time?

Maybe not GW-tournaments. But otherwise - Yes. GW have already released their wolf aka Fangir/Canis. That is their way of saying: We got an awesome unit, please buy this ugly ass metal model to be able to play with it. IMO at least.

- Nat

I would have to say, IMHO the TOP 3 best looking, detailed Thunder wolf models that are out there in the "current" market right now are the following:

1) Micro Art Studio

2) Mythicast

3) modellierworkshop.blogspot.com/2010/11/wolfpack-resinmasters-finished.html

I think I agree. The only issue I have with the mythicast ones, is their reptile-like tails. Why!?

I just received the full set of mythicast, along with the (cyber)wolves and (free)Thunder Shields and I gotta say they look good.

They are covered in detail and are scaled to sit right next to Fangir on the table. Some assembly required (feet and jaws). And the marine legs in the saddles look kind of bare next to the bling-covered foot troopers you get with the new box sets. That I can fix.

They are a little rough in places, particularly the smaller wolves. They are resin so rough around the edges and in need of some touching up. Areas that aren't cast to perfection, or extrusions to be cleaned up or bubbles in the material that need to be filled. Nothing terrifying for the most part.

But a couple went further than that; two of my smaller wolves are so poorly cast they are missing feet and look to have been partially melted. Direct into the bitz box to salvage what I can off of them they go. I'm also not a fan of the bases that were provided, they are standard size but resin cast and so quite heavy. Solid blocks of resin. Probably ideal for pinning but I havn't decided if I am going to use the resin bases for stability or go with standard bases for weight. I am about halfway convinced that these models deserve some serious bases as they will definitately end up being centerpieces once on the table.

I haven't started the assembly yet (much less the painting) but the parts all seem to fit well enough together that I'm not worried, and painting them shouldn't be a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
I just received the full set of mythicast, along with the (cyber)wolves and (free)Thunder Shields and I gotta say they look good.

They are covered in detail and are scaled to sit right next to Fangir on the table. Some assembly required (feet and jaws). And the marine legs in the saddles look kind of bare next to the bling-covered foot troopers you get with the new box sets. That I can fix.

They are a little rough in places, particularly the smaller wolves. They are resin so rough around the edges and in need of some touching up. Areas that aren't cast to perfection, or extrusions to be cleaned up or bubbles in the material that need to be filled. Nothing terrifying for the most part.

But a couple went further than that; two of my smaller wolves are so poorly cast they are missing feet and look to have been partially melted. Direct into the bitz box to salvage what I can off of them they go. I'm also not a fan of the bases that were provided, they are standard size but resin cast and so quite heavy. Solid blocks of resin. Probably ideal for pinning but I havn't decided if I am going to use the resin bases for stability or go with standard bases for weight. I am about halfway convinced that these models deserve some serious bases as they will definitately end up being centerpieces once on the table.

I haven't started the assembly yet (much less the painting) but the parts all seem to fit well enough together that I'm not worried, and painting them shouldn't be a problem.

I just got the Hero Pack, WarWolf Mounts and 1 Wolf Minion pack. I have pretty much the same experience as the above, so I'm quoting it for reference. My experience with the larger wolves was that the tails tended to have snapped off cleanly during shipping, so they're easy to put back on. I sent them a message with suggestion on their packing.

They're excellent sculpts, though.

Here's one for the front page :)

From left to right, in decreasing sizes.:

Mr Dandy; GW Canis; DB/Mythicast; Masquerade Minis; Maxmini; "Russian" wolf.

gallery_17224_5061_98841.jpg

gallery_17224_5061_100857.jpg

Note these are not mine but from a buddy on a other board (swchq.co.uk)

Nice one max, and thanks! those pictures really highlights every available models out there. My favorites are still Maxmini, and Mythicast

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s89/Grimtooth_photos/Bs3ELiwmkKGrHqYOKiEu3T453l4BL5qpcBj.jpg

Does anyone have this model? I'd like to see a size comparison...

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a Masquerade Wolf delivered. Excellent quality, and although slightly bent out of shape in the post it was easily fixed. Takes a bit of green stuff o plug some gaps and needs work to get a normal SW set of legs to fit - no surprises there.

Also, its clearly modeled on a real wolf, as its, er, got a knob.

Archived