Dark Angels had a different name before they found the Lion?

HsojVvad

Just when I thought I took it off topic, this brings up an interesting thing. When was El' Jonoson given ownage of the SM chapter? Does anyone know? Was it right after the reunion? Was it years later of proving his worth? When and why was El' Jonshon given his SM chapter?

How did the other Primarchs feel about this? Espically Horus and other Primarchs who were found before El' Jonson? Would they have been jealous because The Lion was given such an honour?

I don't think you are quite getting it yet...

• The Emperor created 20 Primarchs
  • The Primarchs are spread throughout the galaxy by Chaos before they grow to adulthood, lost to their father
  • The Emperor creates 20 Legions of Space Marines from each Primarchs geneseed

• The First Legion he created was made from El'Jonson's geneseed

• The Emperor sets out to reunite mankind across the galaxy and find his missing sons commanding all Legions
  • The Emperor finds Horus first and gives him the specific Legion which was made from his geneseed
  • Later the Emperor finds the El'Jonson and hands over command of his respective legion immediately - in this case the 1st

A Primarch did not need to prove himself, they were built to lead and the Space Marines in turn were built to follow them. El'Jonson was given his Legion because it was made from his geneseed - it happened to be the 1st Legion the Emperor made. Each Primarch was given the same honor because each had a Legion made from a part of themselves, no jealousy there.

-----------------------------

As I said, Horus was the first to be found and "Because of this early discovery, Horus grew to be the most powerful among the Primarchs as he had grown up from a child to an adult at the side of the Emperor. For a long time he was the only Primarch to have been discovered. " from: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Horus

Alpharius was the last to be found "some scant decades before the end of the Great Crusade". from: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Alpharius_Omegon

The Great Crusade latest 200 years. Given the information above, we can assume that nearly that much time passed (say 175+ years) from when the first primarch was found until the last. El'Jonson's discovery falls somewhere in the middle.

A lot of the pre-primarch names were descriptors (of general personality or a favored tactic) taken as badges of honor, especially when it was the Emperor who did the describing (and why some of the Terran marines got rather upset when the primarch would change the Legion name).

As far as I can recall, the First Legion was sometimes referred to as the Emperor's Praetorians though that term gets thrown around a great deal between them, the Imperial Fists, and the Adeptus Custodes nowadays.

Archived