What plastic boxed set would be made for the next DA Codex?

JeffJedi

We all know that Codexes are made to sell models and that plastic is the future. Each new codex gets a couple new releases. The only problem for us is almost everything is already made in plastic for the Dark Angels.

It's pretty clear that the DA was a test run for how GW makes books and boxes. Before the DA the Black Templars had a plastic upgrade and some metal sets but the upgrade couldn't build a squad by itself without the regular marine sprue. Once the Dark Angels rolled around that had changed. Now both the Space Wolves and Blood Angels got multiple plastic boxes and metal was left for characters where it belongs.

Games Workshop will never make a new Dark Angels codex without models to sell.

But what could GW possibly make for the DA now? Here's my wish list:

Plastic Terminator Captain with full weapon set. We know it can be done thanks to the rather nice Chaos Termie Lord. Basically leave out the Sorcerer bits and toss in a thunder hammer and storm shield. Two Lightning Claws, Storm bolter, combi-weapons powersword/axe and fist as well.

Plastic Terminator Chaplin and Librarian box. I'd like to see this separate from the Captain for more pose options. I don't want to see all three characters holding their storm bolters the same way with just a different CC weapon for each. I think the Libby and Chappy are good combined because they tend to keep their rod of office weapons and so need less options.

Plastic Deathwing Terminator Squads: This is a must have for a future DA codex release and is the only clear choice for GW to make. More options like combi-weapons are needed and the Deathwing need both CC weapons and basic SB/PF choices. Feathers, Broken Winged Swords and all the Iconography are wanted. Go back to the metal DW look with the cool daggers and army badges. I've got 50 Terminators already but if they do a good enough job on this set I'd finish off the Company,

Special Vehicle of some kind: An all-Plasma Predator might be fun. Or a Sword-Eagle Gunship? Maybe the BA only use the transport version and we get the heavy gunship.

Anyone else have ideas?

i'd think with the RW bits already out they'll be left as is.

i'd think with the heavy appeal of DW then they will get a box like the pups. but i'd reckon it would most likely have a couple of parts that'd make it useable as a base for a master in there, with possibly a single model box for the libby/chappy option.

basic squad will probably get an overhaul like the pups and bangles did too - giving a box that could build a squad on it's own, but is more meaningful combined with the other box sets.

as a templar, i'd really like to see robed terminator marines ^_^

A couple things:

A plastic terminator captain model, with enough options to make Belial with any weapons configuration we want.

Maybe a jetbike squad of three jetbikes in a boxed set, which could be used as an elite option, or something along those lines.

Marines with Dark Angel iconography, a ten man boxed set.

Robed Terminators.

More special characters.

A spiffy Dark Angels dreadnought with options for Mortis pattern.

Perhaps a named Interrogator Chaplain with a retinue, or bring back Asmodai and give him a retinue.

Vehicles with special plasma upgrades only available to the Dark Angels. (I like that idea!)

Never knew about this, but someone mentioned this in another post. Praetorian Guard unit

I don't know much about it, but if it's true, new fluff can work around it. I beleive the poster said the rumour was that the Emperor was in command of the chapter and then given to El' Jonshon. That would be cool to have the Emperor used El' Jonshon's seed or what ever it is called to develope the Praetorian Guard unit. I guess this would be the Command squad the DA have now. ( I forget the name, you know the unit that you use with every HQ IC used. It takes ups a free HQ spot).

Work around it, and have it's own plastic kit. This way you will be selling lots of them and it's something new.

AS much as I hate to say it, since I think using vehicles is cheating, (being a tyranid player as well, I find it funny how the might Space Marines hide and cower inside vehicles instead of going out and dealing damgae, mind you I said SM not DA :)) I would like to see the Iron Wing as well. So the DA have 4 wings, DW, RW, GW and IW.

Since IC change the lay up of armies, have a certian IC, that changes up the FOC so you can take away a HS slot and put it for an extra Elite Slot or take away an FS slot and put in more HS slot (this could represent the tactical savy and knowladge that the DA are suppose to have) so more vehicles can be bought or what not. Have some new vehicles, units ( like the Praetorian Guard unit) so new plastic kits will be sold then.

Just an idea.

Space Wolves got Thunderwolf Calvary.

Blood Angels got Sanguinary Guard.

We should get Knights of Darkness.

(Jetbikes?)

Sadly Jetbikes looks like it's going to be a Grey Knight thing, so DA will need something totally different to keep them apart.

What part of "last known jetbike in the Imperium" don't you people understand?? ;)

I think a plastic Deathwing box is a very strong possibility. We'd also get a plastic box of whatever new unit GW decided to create for the new dex, since they like making completely new plastic units these days. Watchers in the Dark Battle Ninjas, perhaps? Then maybe a plastic Mortis dread. Dunno.

There would also be a few new metals. Belial would be a very strong possibility. Updates of the currently shrimpy Azrael and Ezekiel are also possibilities, though perhaps quite iffy since they are still such good looking models.

What part of "last known jetbike in the Imperium" don't you people understand?? ;)

That's right. The last "know" jetbike. People do not know about the Grey Knights, so since they do not konw about GK, they do not know that they have a Jet Bike squad. :P

What part of "last known jetbike in the Imperium" don't you people understand?? :lol:

I think a plastic Deathwing box is a very strong possibility. We'd also get a plastic box of whatever new unit GW decided to create for the new dex, since they like making completely new plastic units these days. Watchers in the Dark Battle Ninjas, perhaps? Then maybe a plastic Mortis dread. Dunno.

Besides the Watchers in the Dark, we really have nothing that adheres with our fluff that might be a possibility. And the Watchers in the Dark might be taking it too far.

If you forget the one established part about having the last known Jetbike in the Imperium (successors were mentioned to have a possibility of having them), and with the two-codex "trend" of making a new, ultra-killy Elite unit fitting with the Chapters theme, we have....

Nothing.

And wouldn't you prefer Jetbikes over Watchers?

I find Watchers are kind of... another over-the-top unit. Thunderwolf Cavalry was bad, but Sanguinary Guard are pretty cool and fitting. Sure GW retcons fluff, but for now, Watchers "do not participate."

Robed terminators would be cool, but I'm not sure that I would use them for anything except characters. Anyway, you can get those parts from a third party already (here are some examples from my own stuff: Link1, Link2, and Link3 [arms for that poor chaplain]).

I'd love to see some Watchers in the Dark, but we're not likely to ever find any sculpted due to the fact that they have no role in the actualy tabletop game. Maybe a new sculpt for Azrael and Asmodai? Even better, how about Interrogator-Chaplain Belphegor from the Siege of Vraks?

As someone stated in the forums, ( forgot which 1 ). How about an honor guard for the chapter master. Ultras and BA have them. Why not us? The only bone colored power armored unit for DA.

Well

1}Plastic DW termie kit similiar to the wolfy one is pretty much a no-brainer, whole squadd or just a Belial/Libby/Chappy kit ala Chaos Termie lord. Rulez wise they would have to give us the option of combi-weapons for sgt or something to go with it.

2} even though people say GK will get them etc Jetbikes are really the obvious choice, last 'known' jetbike, sure and we're not hunting the half of our legion that went traitor....

No really mister =][= it's the only one we have... honest.... =][= never eard from again :D

3} don't think watchers should get a extra kit but would be sweet to throw a few onto the DA termie sprue

4} whole new unit like elite scout armoured Fallen hunters, maybe they work with DW or RW have tely-homers and infiltrate scout type rules.

5} a mortis pattern Dread also a no-brainer, GW likes the dread kits so screw it make another please!

-The reason I list these as my things is because the infantry sprue already is good, and you can make a sqaud out of it already so I don't see them investing time nor energy into that, and same with the Ravenwing/vehicle sprue it prtty much rocks as is so...

All I can say is I see DA getting more jetbikes before the GK do mainly the DA still provide better sales than the GK thus make GW like them more Plus it is stuff other marine players can buy where as GK stuff is silly INQ stuff that nobody plays now since it will go the same way as a legal virgin female.

I'd love to see a Deathwing box.

Yeah me too :P. Belial + 5 or 10 termies with their traditional daggers and feathery bits [ooh I'm going all giddy].

Some Greenwing love wouldn't go amiss either. A 'DA combat Squad' consisting of a six-man combat squad with special weapon (because we can), a robed sergeant, a Chaplain and a Razorback transport might be nice. OK the Chaplain might be excessive :tu:.

Cheers

I

All I can say is I see DA getting more jetbikes before the GK do mainly the DA still provide better sales than the GK thus make GW like them more Plus it is stuff other marine players can buy where as GK stuff is silly INQ stuff that nobody plays now since it will go the same way as a legal virgin female.

I am not to shure about that. I think DA might sell better than GK is because GK is all in metal. It is to expensive money wise to collect. So many people would have loved to start a GK army but just to expensive to do for them so they havn't.

I am not to shure about that. I think DA might sell better than GK is because GK is all in metal. It is to expensive money wise to collect. So many people would have loved to start a GK army but just to expensive to do for them so they havn't.

'Ebay' ;)

But we're a long way off topic.

Noted on the jetbikes although I doubt we'll ever see them emplyed as full 'units' in DA armies.... besides aren't the GK ones pure rumour???

I'd love to see a Deathwing box.

Yeah me too :P. Belial + 5 or 10 termies with their traditional daggers and feathery bits [ooh I'm going all giddy].

Some Greenwing love wouldn't go amiss either. A 'DA combat Squad' consisting of a six-man combat squad with special weapon (because we can), a robed sergeant, a Chaplain and a Razorback transport might be nice. OK the Chaplain might be excessive :rolleyes:.

Cheers

I

What I just thought of last night was make a DW box set but make it more akin to the Da/SW/BA upgrade boxes were you get to make 5 complete models, but the set includes a sprue loaded with upgrades for DW Termies Specifically... Daggers, feathers, tons of different Shoulder pads, maybe even exrta torso front plates, you get the gist :drool:

It would be awesome for DW players and also True-scalers, a win-win for me

A plastic Belial kit would be a great way to include apothecary and standard bearer upgrade parts without having to include them in every single 5-man terminator box, especially when said boxes would already be suffering for space since our terminators can be equipped with anything at all... would also be a great spot to include a Watcher with a few different options for what he'd be carrying.

As for something besides Terminators and/or revamps of the plastic kits we've already got, it would be really cool if GW did a non-robed plastics marine kit for us that used mostly older MK 3/4/5 armour and lots of 'older' style weapons.

Actually how about a boxed set of all 30 DW participants in the Plains World incident. Complete with personal heraldry, weapons and armour variations. That might be too many so failing that then just a handful. But all similar in individuality and dynamism to that of the BA Space Hulkers.

Cheers

I

Heck, I'd settle for five well done Deathwing terminators to act as Belial's bodyguard.

All GW would have to do to get me to pitch my metal terminators and buy plastic for the standard squads is come out with plastic versions of the Forge World shoulderpads and some feathers or other Deathwing bling.

On the Space Hulk tip I think they should just make a limited 'DeathWing' expansion with small selection of additional floor tiles and like ten-12 DeathWing models + some Hybrid Genestelers (or something)

Basically a re-make of the old skool DW box. And the good thing about that is that GW doesn't even need an excuse and it WOULD sell across the board just like SH did.

Also,

Yeah a character termie box for loyalist marines would be sweet, but I think it would be just that a multi-use 'captain' type box, It could have some DW stuff but knowing GW it would be more of a Mareenz release. similiar to when the Dev box dropped along side of our codex but it's really a general SM release. -just my 2

Archived