Defending the Title - 2010.

Morticon

Hey guys,

So in 2009 my buddy Level and I won the big Dragonfire doubles tournament.

We're up again defending our title this weekend.

The format has changed slightly to save some time (some wussies couldnt deal with 27 hours of gaming over the three days :P ) and it now has three x 3k vs 3k Games (1500 a piece) and three x 2k vs 2k Games (1000 a piece).

Last year we ran a concept army.

Wolves would come down in pods, provide the distraction and suck up the firepower whilst providing fire support. The BA, speared by the Dante/Corb combo, would then form the hammer. Even with tactical squads this combo was devastating. And there was rarely a chance for people to hit back once charged. Added to that was the fact we had pesky apothecaries (in two HG squads) that ignored up to 3 wounds a player turn!

Sadly, that was with the old wolf dex and the old BA dex.

SAME IDEA DIFFERENT ARMY:

Level and I tried to recreate what we had before, only changing things up a liiitle bit. I took a solid shooty portion, while he went with 3 pods (2 full hunters one of which had Arjac) and then 2 rhino squads and 2 typhoons.

I took a lot of attack bikes, 3 razors, a pred, a baal, a grapple-talon dread in pod and mephy. Since I didnt have too many troops I didnt bother wtih a priest.

We found that the army didnt work half as well as we had hoped. The pods came down and for the most part took so much damage. The dread almost always got popped (facing 3k of army meta-ed for mech we get to be in trouble!!)

Also, the razor squads, as nice as they are - just seemed to lose all effectiveness once they got popped. I came to the conclusion that i was paying 180 points for an AV 11 tank. The marines inside cant really do anything if they have limited ranged weapons and then have to slog.

After a less than stellar two test games we decided we needed to change things up.

CHANGES:

We took aspects of what we liked from each of our list.

For me, I liked the pred, the baal, the attack bikes and of course mephy. At least one razor added some spice, so those were all things I kept.

I added in a priest since I was bulking up the bodies.

I added in a rhino TAC - cause I know how to use em, and theyre reliable and fast (i find that even though my razors can move at the same speed, i find I dont move them 18 since I want to shoot them. Rhinos on the other hand have one job - to move up.

We lost the talon dread in pod since we were losing the pods all round.

I coincidentally ended up with almost the identical list I had for the ICON tournament I won last week !

My final list is looking to be ->

Meph

Corbs

8 RAS - MG, PF

5 RAS - MG, PW

Razorback - TLAC

10 TAC - PF, FL, LC

Rhino

3 Atk Bk - 2MM, 1HB

2 Atk Bk - 2MM

Baal - TLAC,HBSS

Pred - AutoCan, LCSS

Level also changed most of his army up.

I convinced him to take Bjorn.

I think he is VERY pricey, but the reroll for first as well as the fact that he counts as an extra objective in most missions means that he will be a great tactical piece. Our biggest competition will be against IG (current country no.1 player) and Daemons (last doubles champ) - both of which rely very heavily on first turn rolls.

Level is running 3 rhino hunter squads with full bling a razor hunter squad a Rune Priest a vindy and 1 typhoon.

The next test game we played worked MUCH better and the list played in a way we were much more comfortable with.

He is a little unsure of Bjorn though and is considering dropping him for THREE more Typhoons.

What do you guys think?

That aside, I'll update this thread with any changes we make this week and then get a full batrep with pics up on the weekend!

Hope you guys look forward to it!

personally i love bjorn, i wish we had a sc dreadnought, i want Moriar Back!

if i were you, speak to him about taking bjorn, and have a plasma cannon aswell! you dont really pay for his statline, you pay for his tactical advantages! hell if i were you id get one of you to take a vindicare assasin, just so as you can target bjorn in an objective emegency!

As a SW player I have to say it- take Bjorn.

His accurate firepower is amazing. His ability to change the dynamics in an objective game are amazing, if depressing in their own way. The reroll for pick of table side and turn is worth every penny.

ON the other hand- you have corbs. The reroll to seize the iniative is frankly far more deadly if you can pull it off, and 3 Typhoons is alot of firepower. Mostly though in his list I worry about the fact that theres not much heavy armor- a single vindicator can only soak so many shots, and your list doesnt have enough to make up for this. Sure, the typhoons could absorb some, but if theyre moving fast enough to do this reliably theyre not shooting- wich is what you want them to do.

If he really wants to get a second typhoon in there- wich is an excellent idea, then drop some of the 'bling'. More boots on the ground, more speeders in the air, its always worth it over a couple of toys.

By bling i mean the necessities that I think make wolves as hardcore as they are.

It is usually an 8man Hunter (wolfguard included) with fist, wolfen, banner, combi-weapon and melta or plasma. Cant really trim that without taking a lot away :tu:

I'll speak to him about Bjorn- im really glad that my impressions were spot on!

Heya guys, very quick update - im running late for day two so I gotta bounce!

Day one was good.

We came up against a sisters/wolves combo that we trounced in the first game (20KP to 3KP).

The second game we played against the team we came up against in the finals of last years tourney. They managed to wangle a draw from us in a very highly tactical game.

Details and pics later!

Yo!! Back from day two. Got one more day tomorrow and its all done.

We're on a good track with 2 more victories today.

First in a dual objective mission vs. Tau/Chaos(complete massacre) and then a Kill Point mish vs. Guard/Chaos (11 to 7 KP).

Pics and batreps when my brain starts working again.

Way to go Morticon... on 21&22 Aug we have a Doubles Toruney in JHB. Quintin and yours truely will team up for that, seeing as our armiesdid very well at ICON and it's another 1500 per team member (3K per team) tournament.

Btw, I soo hope to meet up with our fav CHAOS player there. He once again paired with BA, but this time him and his BA will die horribly!

Good Luck on day 3, keep the BA flag flying.

Wolves and blood angels. The sky must be falling! Excellent job so far!

Terrifying combo really. The staggering short range abilities of the space wolves(brought to you courtesy of the Grey hunters, arguably the best basic troop unit in the game) teamed with our speed, durability, and the sheer epic powerhouse that is the lord of death. I wouldn't want to play against that.

Wolves and blood angels. The sky must be falling! Excellent job so far!

Terrifying combo really. The staggering short range abilities of the space wolves(brought to you courtesy of the Grey hunters, arguably the best basic troop unit in the game) teamed with our speed, durability, and the sheer epic powerhouse that is the lord of death. I wouldn't want to play against that.

Thats the nail hit on the head there my friend!!!!!! :P Our 1k list (each) is a bit weak unfortunately, but we're managing ookay.

Will have to see tomorrow.

Sorry again for the delay. Promise to get details up soon soon!!

Ron1n - dude- awesome. I saw the rules pack for that doubles, it looks craaaazy. The allies being affected thing is going to be insane. Good luck there.

Cheers,

Morticon

Guys, just back from the 3rd day - 22.5 hours of gaming in the weekend. I am SHATTERED.

The last two games were some of the toughest, tightest and most hard fought games of 40k i've played in recent memory.

Batreps up in a while.

And for those of you who are interested, Level and I successfully defended the title and won once again!!!

Two time Dragonfire Champs ^_^

-Mort.

Archived