Sons of Orar blog

Ravendove

Thumbs up for the revised camo method there Ravendove :)

The capes are coming along nicely as well. As for the sergeant, I prefer the one with binocs personally, the waving hand doesn't look quite right somehow...

The capes are coming along nicely as well. As for the sergeant, I prefer the one with binocs personally, the waving hand doesn't look quite right somehow...

Agreed, I think it had to do with the angle of the torso more than anything. All the remaining capes are now cast, just need to finish the Sergeant model before attaching his and then we're go to start priming. Pictures tomorrow!

Oooh, shiny!

Very nice, I'll have to interrogate you about how you achieve OSL across a large area and two very different colours so I can go back to my Librarian's staff and see if I can make the runes glow...

That PF is frakin awesome!!!! Your SoR thread never fails to amaze me! I really like the way that is painted up, looks really effective. Can't wait to see the model it will be attached to in its finshed state!!!!!!

Yeah I'm very pleased with the Power Fist. Here's a couple more WIP shots of the Sergeant.

I've finished sculpting and joining up the cloak around the shoulders and neck. You'll notice the model was painted before adding the cloak. The cloak will then be basecoated by hand once the green stuff dries. I'll be adding some OSL on the inside of the cloak from the Power Fist, and you can see I've started doing some already on the legs of the model near where the arm rests.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5066/5602298893_efd6142c43_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5108/5602298273_4ffd3a63c8_z.jpg

Loving that fist brother how did you paint if you dont mind sharing?

It's a little complicated to describe without pictures, but basically it's Enchanted Blue as a basecoat. Cover most of this with Ice Blue, leaving only the deep recesses like the palm. Then gradually build up to white, keeping in mind where the light is coming from (the fingers). So you want it brightest in the middle of the finger (pure white) and darker on the edges of it (ice blue).

Then I just found all the sharp edges around the hand and traced a white line there (edge of the red armour plates on the fist). From that point, I very gradually started off with 50/50 Space Wolf Grey/Ice Blue and mixed in more and more Blood Red 'outwards'.

Just a lot of trial and error until I found something that looked nice. Maybe I'll do a step-by-step tutorial next time I paint a power weapon.

Ron at From The Warp has written a tutorial that covers the same effect in a similar way, it's nice and detailed and looks better than mine, so you should probably check that out instead!

Scout Sergeant Done

Well, here he is. Turned out quite nicely in the end. There's some small areas of cleanup to do (legs, holster, chest, face) and the basing obviously, but he's basically done.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5141/5606276360_7904073856_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5065/5605690903_fe326d497d_z.jpg

These guys are absolutely beautiful. Everything is done so well.

And if you haven't decided, the Black bumper looks better, imo.

Keep it up :D

Update: Blog on hold?

If you've been following this blog from the start, you'll know that around six months ago I packed up and moved from South UK to France, to live with my girlfriend who was there studying. Well, now that our time here is at an end, I'll be moving back to the UK. Boo, hiss. Consequently, this means two things:

1. I'm going to have to get a full time job again. Which, thankfully, I've already lined up. I'm a freelance web developer by trade, and I've been getting enough work to 'get by', but I'm going to need a full time position in order to...

2. Save up enough money to get somewhere to live. With my girlfriend returning to University, I need to save up some capital to put a down payment on a new place for myself.

So, for the next month or two, this project log will be on hold. Until my living arrangements are sorted out and my new salary kicks in, I will definitely not have any space for all my hobby stuff. That will all be going into storage along with everything else.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who followed the project, gave advice or suggestions and generally encouraged me to continue. It's been a great success, with a finished 1000pt army ready to do business with. Just wanted to explain the situation so you're not all wondering where I disappeared to. Hopefully I'll be able to play some games in the meantime -- I'll let you know how they go! :tu:

Whoa, life is exciting.

Good luck with the change and your new job!

I'm sure you'll enjoy playing with this army in your recreation time, and get tons of compliments about how stylish these marines are.

But please get back to painting as soon as possible, as we really enjoyed this blog, it was very inspiring.

Our subscription's still alive, so we'll be here when you return and give a sign. :D

All the best!

Archived