Kildrech Crusade Modeling Diary

Dono1979

Is the a GW scenery? and something a noticed Dono! remove the bases from the statue marines! ;) would be better glue them on their feet ;)

Good call on the statue bases, never noticed that before!

It is actually a custom made fortress made from Hirts Arts bricks, built one brick at a time!! Pretty crazy stuff and so much like the picture he based it off it is incredible.

Looking forward to playing some games on it indeed!

-Dono

That.. Is... Awesome.

!!!!

Dono you own the most awesome piece of terrain I have ever seen.

Banners: so what! They ate bread around that ime too -.-

Dont own it yet but there isnt much standing in my way. I missed out on it once, not going to let it go a second time. It fits perfectly with my Crusade!

That is one impressive keep! However those banners are reminding me of some particular WWII era banners from ze reich....hmmm

That was kind of my thought on the banners too! Change those around just a little and you're golden.

Dono, you have some AMAZING stuff! I am very impressed. As some of the other posts have stated, it puts my measly crusade to shame...however, I will not belittle my boys, as they will still wield angry power fists and send explosive projectiles into the faces of all comers. I thought I was spending some money on my Templar specific bits, but you sir, take the cake. My wife would beat me senseless and then take all of my money away from me! ;) I have really enjoyed reading up on your progress. Very inspiring. In fact, I am about to stop playing around on the I-net and get to work on my crusade! Please give my compliments to your painter...that guy has talent. I love the banners...very vibrant. The rendition you have done with the armor on the battle brothers is nice. When I began my quest, I thought about getting unique and straying just a little from the traditional black, red, and white. But, I was afraid that my army would be mistaken for some lesser chapter and me branded a "heretic" for straying from the path of the Templars. ^_^ Love your version...the armor and the swords are perfect for a "knightly" army of arse kickers!

Keep up the amazing work. I am looking forward to seeing this crusade completely kitted up and ready for war.

Brother Dono,

You must realize that most of us if not all of us are drooling from mouth here. Now, with that being said, CONGRATULATION! What awesome figs, conversions, tanks and Keep. One thing is for certain....you are inspiring me to paint and create and finish my own little crusade!

"Helmet off to you, Brother."

Finally got the last of the Neophytes finished and they will soon be sent off, in addition I got the Storm Shields done for the Assault Troops, they turned out the way I was hoping, more like Black Templar Riot Shields.

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss62/dono1979/P1814_22-02-11.jpg

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss62/dono1979/P181402_22-02-11.jpg

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss62/dono1979/P181401_22-02-11.jpg

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss62/dono1979/P1813_22-02-11.jpg

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss62/dono1979/P1815_22-02-11.jpg

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss62/dono1979/P181501_22-02-11.jpg

That's a good looking fortress, but all the banners make it look like a Nazi castle at first glance.

Agreed, it looks great, but it's seriously Nazi-esque with those banners. Don't go campaigning with that in Germany or Austria or you'll get arrested :(

The jump marines look awesome man, great models, can't wait to see some painting!

Thanks, I really love my Assault Troops, rarely use them but absoloutely love them. I was dismayed when the Storm Shield price went from 3pts to the full 15pts, I was part way through modeling a good chunk of my jumpers to be sword and sheild bearers, now it is very very costly. Hopefully there will be some painted ones very shortly, the last four are getting sent off to the painter shortly, but the other six are already there and virtually finished.

In fact the vast majority of the models are now 90% painted, just waiting on the armorcast decals to get there so they can be used.

On that note, please be aware that the GW BT Decals do not fit the FW Mk II & III shoulder pads. Although the pads themselves are huge, the space where the cross goes is actually smaller then the blank plastic GW ones. The armorcast ones should fit nicely, however their customer service sucks.

I only need to get hold of another two packets of Mk II Power Armour and two Dreadnought Drop Pods and the intended Crusade is complete. The ONLY unit missing from the Crusade are bike squads, I have always had an extreme dislike for SM biker models, although some of the BT painted ones I have seen has lessened my dislike a little. But I am still hesitant to get them. Its still not a model that is screaming at me "I'm a medieval bad ass space knight!". I was originally considering Jetbikes, but I havent been able to commision any from anyone, and then I was considering some quad bikes, but same quandry.

The horses look pretty cool, but I just dont think that would fit my army feel very well. So I will have to think on it a little longer. Any ideas anyone? Anyone want a commision job to make some jet bikes?

Cheers

Dono

I am a firm supporter of the idea of SM Jet bikes, very in-keeping with the idea that pre-Heresy armies would have access to more tech and gubbinz from the Dark Age of Technology,

They can be done pretty simply and effectively:

http://www.peteandkellie.com/wh40k/images/...eys_jetbike.jpg

Lost of people mixing in BG Imperial Ships and Speeder parts:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/ddog2/RIMG0348.jpg

Also, got to love lances:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/102673.page

Great work Dono anyhow.

The ONLY unit missing from the Crusade are bike squads, I have always had an extreme dislike for SM biker models, although some of the BT painted ones I have seen has lessened my dislike a little. But I am still hesitant to get them. Its still not a model that is screaming at me "I'm a medieval bad ass space knight!"

HAVE I TAUGHT YOU NOTHING?!

Ahem....sorry. Let's see now...well, game wise, bikes are crappy. Well, for their Force Org slot anyway. Speeders are king, bikes are pricier and generally less effective, and assault squads are..well, let's not start that again. It's a sad truth we all have to face.

Modeling wise, Space Knights on Cyber Steeds of Doom are wicked. Eberious and myself have both worked out examples of this. A simple lance swap is enough to make viewers go "Oh, that's a knight." That was my approach. Eberious festooned his fellows with crests, banners, reliquaries, and just about everything knightly that there is accept lances, and it worked marvelously. If memory serves, Marshal Wilhelm slapped one on a horse, which looks pretty good, but he probably counts it as LWC, so who cares? :HQ:

As for jet bikes...well, fluffwise, there's pretty much 0 chance that the Templars would have any, much less a unit. But far be it for me to let fluff stand in teh way of an awesome looking model. I believe Zealot miniatures sells a jetbike kit now, though it costs a pretty penny.

We can all fit in there right?

I mean, really, that is an awesome Chapter Keep!

SM Bikers, why not? Its another option to mess with your opponents..........................

As for jet bikes...well, fluffwise, there's pretty much 0 chance that the Templars would have any, much less a unit. But far be it for me to let fluff stand in teh way of an awesome looking model. I believe Zealot miniatures sells a jetbike kit now, though it costs a pretty penny.

You just gutted me Firepower... I got my hopes up, searched and found a review and pics, followed links to their website and was then confronted with this.....

Unfortunately we have discontinued production of the Jetbike

I could not believe it, it looked perfect and was ready to order six..... absoloutely gutted.

:P

I was wondering about that. Just the other day I was on the site and looking about for it and the other bits, all of which had disappeared with new stock in its place. I thought it was just a mess up on the programming :rolleyes: .

I have to wonder why exactly they discontinued it and the other bits. Their pre-heresy jump pack was stellar, the jet bike was cool, and the Fists were funny if nothing else. They didn't seem iconic enough to cause an IP issue with GW either....

Oh well, stick to bikes. They're still wicked with a tiny bit of work. And if you don't agree, I'll purge you. Such is the way of the Templar :P .

I was wondering about that. Just the other day I was on the site and looking about for it and the other bits, all of which had disappeared with new stock in its place. I thought it was just a mess up on the programming :rolleyes: .

I have to wonder why exactly they discontinued it and the other bits. Their pre-heresy jump pack was stellar, the jet bike was cool, and the Fists were funny if nothing else. They didn't seem iconic enough to cause an IP issue with GW either....

Oh well, stick to bikes. They're still wicked with a tiny bit of work. And if you don't agree, I'll purge you. Such is the way of the Templar :P .

I was just about sold on the bikes with lances or suchlike but now I just want Zealot bikes :rolleyes:

I will have a hunt around for some and see if I can come up with any, because they are EXACTLY what I was trying to get.

Back to trying to convince myself that half a dozen bikes need to be ordered and just cope.

-Dono

Archived