Shadow Force Dragomir - A Raven Guard Army

SCC

I thought he looked just fine looking to the right and the auspex in the same position. Even with them arms in similar positions the energy of the pose is quite different (to me at least), enough so they don't look like twins.

Yeah, I thought the same. Should have said something earlier on.

Ludovic

Nice to see updates to this thread, despite Diablo 3, role-playing and server crashes! ;)

They're looking really nice. I agree it's a shame that the humour of the servo skull peeping over the shoulder has been diminished somewhat, but the new pose works well.

OK, new side by side of the 'twins':

gallery_385_5278_4968.jpg

So, the revised left auspex pose does look/feel surprisingly different and I do like that pose, though maybe a pistol would be better than the bolter, that arm does look long right now and pistol vs bolter would be another differential.

Then, just as importantly, the two poses with the rest of the unit:

gallery_385_5278_31341.jpg

Here, the TM stands in front of the Rapier scanning for targets.

gallery_385_5278_75375.jpg

In the second pose he's communicating with the Battle Brother running the Rapier having already located a suitable target...

The left hand auspex is definitely a more active pose but the second one might be better given he's the guardian of this ancient relic

I agree it's a shame that the humour of the servo skull peeping over the shoulder has been diminished somewhat, but the new pose works well.

Honestly, that was greatly magnified by the camera angle, it's actually not that good in real life without the servo skull being bent waaay over...

Some more great additions to your force.

The TM's new position looks really good when you put him next to the rapier. I agree to keep him different from that other rather cool looking ex deatwatch chap as it keeps your individualistic vibe going.

Its difficult when modelling a guy with an auspex as it always seems to make sense by having them checking it out. The old veteran sergeant that came with the oop metal command squad had a similar pose to your guy. Looking like he was directing his troops after reading what was on his spex.

Great stuff as always

Cheers

Oh, I like the second pose much more.

Another idea would be to "mag-lock" a bolter to his leg, but this usually dominates the entire figure at this size. Alternatively, you could have a bolter slung across his chest and have him directing fire with one arm pointing (directing fire) and the other with auspex in hand.

I like the first pose better with bolt pistol in right hand, or some way to position the bolter in the right hand so it's not as "out there".. I like how it appears that he is looking up from the auspex to review the condition and readiness of the Rapier or scanning for targets.

Hi again SCC

Hope you don't mind if I post a quick question. I see you use the Testors Dullcote (to amazing affect may I add). I have flicked through to see if you use a spray or a painted on lacquer but I could not see. I have been looking at some reviews and I am unsure if I need to gloss the whole miniature before applying the spray.

Basically what I am trying to say is can you share your magic recipe with us please?

Cheers

@CJJ: Heh, thanks, although I think my lack of painting speed may reveal my flesh based weakness, I wonder if Brother Argos has any bionic painting upgrades he can graft ont for me...

@Darth Potato: I have a lot of pointing models in the army already (4 or so), if I put in any more people will yell at me about it (again!) <_<

I like the first pose better with bolt pistol in right hand, or some way to position the bolter in the right hand so it's not as "out there".

Found the perfect solution to this awkwardness - an arm from the new MkIV assault squad (with BP) that hangs at just the right angle to fit with the pose, pics tonight with luck, but very happy with the change ^_^

Hi again SCC

Hope you don't mind if I post a quick question. I see you use the Testors Dullcote (to amazing affect may I add). I have flicked through to see if you use a spray or a painted on lacquer but I could not see. I have been looking at some reviews and I am unsure if I need to gloss the whole miniature before applying the spray.

Basically what I am trying to say is can you share your magic recipe with us please?

Cheers

I don't mind at all. The recipe is as simple as can be - two very light coats of Dullcote spray (straight out of the can). I don't worry about gloss varnish for the army, they'll see occasional use at best so they don't really need to protection of gloss then dullcote. That said, I hand varnish any area with decals (before and after the decal goes on), and those areas look the same as the rest of the mini so I don't think a gloss coat will affect the final look, at worst you may need 3 very light coats to get the super flat finish.

@arizonajirt: The Rapier is a great little kit, but be wary of the Storm Eagle, it's a total pain to prep and assemble and I imagine it's going to be the same to paint. End result will be worth it sure, but it's not a simple project...

i like the first pose better but i can see the 'twin' problem...

looked what i created meanwhile: maybe you could create a similar pose and attach the bolter to his thighs (which i will do later) to achieve the 'peeking servo skull' feeling without replicating too much of the deathwatch veteran?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/Tagsta/Warhammer40k/IMG00410-20120615-0316.jpg

excuse the crappy cellphone picture under crappy light conditions, just trying to get you an idea of the pose i was suggesting <_<

Updated design with MkIV BP arm:

med_gallery_385_5278_169128.jpg

med_gallery_385_5278_43979.jpg

It's the best iteration yet I think, but not quite 100% right...

@tagsta: Nice model mate, I got the concept from your original post, but always nice to see an idea in the plastic. Love the painting on the screen too B) I'll think about it, but I'm better at kit-bashing than actually converting so it might be a bit much for me right now :blush:

No, I assure you the right arm is MkIV - Mk.III has a much rounder and larger vambrace with more detailing like studs etc. Mk.III also lacks the armour that projects over the back of the hand quite so prominently.

The real issue is the mis-matched right arm MkIV and left-hand MkV/VI/VII, but then, that gives him something from every major variant - Mk.II legs, III torso, IV arm, V/VI/VII arm amd VII helm which is kinda neat...

I'm giving Tagsta's 'activating the touch screen' pose a go at the moment - though with a different model and an actual auspex - so I knocked this up too:

med_gallery_385_5278_120300.jpg

med_gallery_385_5278_74190.jpg

In this guise he'd join Dragomir's bodyguard and fluff wise it makes excellent sense for him to be part of the Fourth Company veteran cadre awaiting promotion (or in this case, Mechanicus training) and the BP/Chainsword doesn't look too shabby. He also fits in neatly thematically being in an appropriate bodyguard kind of a pose. We'll see how the touch screen pose comes out I guess...

that gives him something from every major variant - Mk.II legs, III torso, IV arm, V/VI/VII arm amd VII helm which is kinda neat...

I totally agree ! He looks very charismatic :confused:

Beautiful work SCC, I'm also highly jealous of the quality of your Forgeworld casts, the legs on my MK IV marines are awful, I'm onto my 2nd lot of replacements and I need to use a load of grenades and purity seals just to cover the cracks... Edited by keith

There's been something itching at the back of my mind for the last few days. I tried the 'touch screen' pose, but I couldn't kit-bash it. While I was rummaging around for yet another arm to try and get the 'touching the screen' pose right I remembered the monocular/scanner arm from the FW tank crew kit I've had sitting around for sometime and I do believe I have my second Rapier crewman:

med_gallery_385_5278_25158.jpg

;)

Still experimenting with the right arm, I'd prefer a bolter to a pistol, but the shorter weapon looks a little neater at this stage...

Combat Squad Trae is the first half of Tactical Squad Devlin, Sixth of the Fourth:

gallery_385_5278_453912.jpg

The squad has evolved over a period of many months, Marines I couldn't get to work in other squads, complicated poses abandoned and replaced with nice simple bolter poses and others have ended up here. They look surprisingly coherent given that :D I really should add some Fourth Company markings to them though :D

Couple of extra views of the newest member of the squad Battle Brother Trae:

gallery_385_5278_388966.jpg

gallery_385_5278_315614.jpg

And the rest of the squad, starting with Battle Brother Constantin:

gallery_385_5278_238312.jpg

Battle Brother Elson:

gallery_385_5278_79532.jpg

Battle Brother Arron:

gallery_385_5278_25057.jpg

My tutorial Marine Battle Brother Varas:

gallery_385_5278_2647.jpg

Just thought I would take a little break from writing my current assignment and check out some B&C. I what do I find? one of my fave logs has got a double update! (this must be a reward for me finally knuckling down and doing some 'real' work!)

I think the magnocular pose is the one for your rapier. Does this mean the other guy (apprentice TM) is going to join Dragomir's bodyguard as you suggested? If so it will be a good nod back to the old TM in the command squad of yesteryear. It makes sense as I am sure a Raven Guard force would include a TM for advice on shutting down shield systems and power generators. Adding one in this guise lets you keep to the fluff without having to spend points on a model that you don't need.

Right I'm off back to my assignment, once I'm done I can finally get a plog up and running for my Raptors. I've made my first model. check him out in Maverik Primes 8th conversion competition if you like.

Cheers

med_gallery_385_5278_25158.jpg

;)

Still experimenting with the right arm, I'd prefer a bolter to a pistol, but the shorter weapon looks a little neater at this stage...

Personally, i'd have the bolter mag-locked to his right thigh and either have the second hand on the magnocular (or whatever they call it in 40k) or have a free hand.

Edited by Pulse

Have you considered something with an auspex in a two-handed pose like the Techmarine that comes with the Thunderfire cannon?

As for the model with the monocular sight, I think it looks nice, although I'd say stick the weapon in a sling or holster, and perhaps do an empty hand reaching for the weapon?

The earlier auspex variants... I love the torso and up, but I think what's hurting this model is the bionic legs choice. Because they're so spindly by comparison, its making the model look aggressively top-heavy... and when you put a backpack on there, it'd only make it worse.

Really making me want to work on my own Codex force. Squad Trae looks great. I'll study how you painted the bionic leg for details when I paint my own guy with that leg.

@TheYak: Yeah, the junior TM has been assigned to the bodyguard squad.

@Pulse: Two hands? Interesting, I wonder if a ML right arm will fit...

@Badaab: Hmm, nail on head right there I think, those Mk.II thighs are tiny. I wonder if I can add some plasticard banding to the left leg to bulk it up, I don't mind the bionic leg being skinny, after all, it doesn't have any armour on it.

@Rags & IP: Thanks guys :)

OK, on to the real reason behind this post - I picked up some Anvil Industry bitz recently, mostly magazines for bolters and some bionics. Below are my opinions of the former:

OK, first impressions are good. Sculpts are nice, everything that should be square is, round stuff is round, overall detail is good. The casts are excellent too, very little flash, no ragged joins/seams/mold lines, no bubbles and minor details like rivets are clean. All up, I'm very impressed with the combination of sculpting, detail, quality and cost ^_^

Drum and Box Magazines:

gallery_385_727_33309.jpg

Both fit neatly onto a regular bolter once you remove the original magazine and the 'magazine release' (or whatever that little ridged thing above the mag is).

The drum magazine overlaps the the magazine well ever so slightly in both dimensions but it's neither obtrusive nor ungainly, if anything it fits the feel of a big, bulky drum mag quite nicely. Detail is good, some nice rivets and visible ammo, though the latter is perhaps a little less round than I'd hoped.

gallery_385_727_92357.jpg

The box mag on the other hand is slightly smaller than the magazine well, as a result it doesn't actually 'fit' as well as the drum mag for my money. Still, with an undercoat on and the weapon held in two hands it'll be virtually invisible to the casual, or even close observer.

Both mags have flat surfaces to join to the bolter which makes that easy enough but makes them less useful for reloading poses than the next two mags:

gallery_385_727_47143.jpg

The photo is poor, but both these mags have well sculpted exposed rounds sitting at the top of the mag that would be an excellent little detail for a reloading pose. The mags attached to the bolter/BP here have been trimmed, if you just glued them their length would make them look a little out of place I feel. As with the earlier mags the detail is well sculpted and very well cast.

gallery_385_727_104985.jpg

I'm in the process of hollowing out a plastic bolter to test fit these mags in, but my initial impression is that this won't be practical and trimming will be a simpler solution. I'll let you all know how that goes at a later date.

I also picked up a couple of AI's 'Widow Maker' pistols. Here's one next to the BP from earlier:

gallery_385_727_9958.jpg

Size wise the Widow Maker is a little larger than the BP, but like the mags, not so much that it'll be out of place on a Marine. Detail is good and it has ejector ports unlike the BP, I also like the muzzle with two vertical gas vents, makes a change from GW's round ones.

gallery_385_727_28009.jpg

Overall, I'm very pleased with these pieces, they'll let me add some high quality variety to my bolters (not that I really need it, what with all those lovely FW ones I have, but hey, is there such a thing as too much variety?) with only a little effort and at a reasonable price. If you're thinking about buying some AI gear, I can definitely recommend these for use with GW and FW Marines :tu: