Shadow Force Dragomir - A Raven Guard Army

SCC

Lovely Raven Guard! I love how much life you have managed to bring to a legion that seemed determined to use as little colour as possible (what with the black and dark green accents) :P It's certainly hard to see any imperfections in that door, aside from the miscast issue you mentioned, but I suspect it would darn near impossible to see unless you knew it was there. Alternatively, it seems that a lot of people weather the doors by putting some dripping/built up muck under those door teeth, which could help maybe hide that issue if you felt it was needed. Great work looking forward to more!

Alan

@Syth: Yeah, I'm using thin coats and a recipe that used to work perfectly for me but that's now leaving brush marks, maybe I need to add some more flow aid or retarder or maybe just go back to my cheap old brushes that I used to do this with :lol:

@Alan: Alas, if only weathering was an option but Shadow Force Dragomir are represented here immediately following planetary arrival so are fresh as a daisy. Otherwise I would hide the problems with weathering :P

Right, update time. It's been too hot to paint so I've been building the last few models as part of the final push to 2000 points. As you'll know by now, stock miniatures are few and far between in my army, most everything has at least a little something tweaked, added or removed to make each Marine a unique Hero of Humanity. That's made the characters more of a challenge than the regular marines - kit bashing a Tac marine is easy, kit-bashing a Chaplain or TM much less so. Perhaps that's why it too so long to come up with the idea for this guy and then begin the execution:

gallery_385_5278_101096.jpg

TechMarine Usires, his servitor (the axe isn't his, he's just carrying it for Usires) and a cyber raven. I've used the lower half of a FineCast TechMarine and mated it to the old BA TechMarine torso. The main issues was the new TM is much larger than the old BA one so I've had to bulk out the waist and back of the latter to avoid a Frankenstein-ian look to the whole thing, especially from the back. I'm currently trying to sculpt some nice smooth, straight lines for a belt and so forth, struggling, but learning. And if I really need to I'll cannibalise some auspexes and add them to the belt like the cool gizmo already on the left hip.

I had intended the pose to look like the raven is coming to land on Usires' outstretched arm but now I see it all (tacked) together I don't think that's the right arm. Or at least, it's not the right pose, it needs a bent elbow rather than a straight arm to take more of a 'hawking pose'.

A slightly different angle gives a better idea of the 'hawking pose' I think:

gallery_385_5278_90602.jpg

Overall I'm pretty happy with the progress on Usires, I like his custom built servitor arm backpack (all the regular ones had arms or other bitz interfering with the raven) and the Iron Hands bionic arm with bolter fits in really well with the rest of the mini too I think.

Looking at the image I wonder if the servitor doesn't look too much like that's his weapon rather than he's just carrying it, but I'm not sure how to fix that without major re-working of the whole pose. There's also the fact the servitor has no helmet which is bugging me a little too, but then, I guess, he's just a servitor and they're far more common than Marines.

I also need to 'cyber' the raven a bit more, a bionic eye is probably the simplest option and I'm considering trying to sculpt outstretched talons for it to re-inforce the 'hawking pose' but I'm not sure how to start on that either.

I'm used to seeing hawkers with their fists shut tight in a glove, so maybe that's why the second position doesn't change much from the first to my eyes :devil: I do love the kitbashed Techmarine and while the Servitor doesn't look like he's holding the weapon for someone else, I don't think that that should really be a source of concern for you. Unless you really want every single detail to be perfect, in which case you'll have to repose the damn things :huh:

Ludovic

What if you turned the servitors right hand around, so that he is holding the handle with palms up, as well as reposition the arms so that the handle is more horizontal? That way it should look less like a battle ready pose, and more of "carrying my masters weapon". Maybe also bow his head to make it look a bit revering.

And a closed hand on the Tech-Marine would hammer in the last of the hawking pose.

@Razerz: If only I had that sort of converting skill, but that's beyond kit-bashing I'm afraid. I did have a much simpler idea though - turn the damned axe around, it looks like it's his weapon because of the way he's holding it, if the axe head faces backwards rather than forwards, problem solved (I hope)!

@BBL: Hmm, yes, Google agrees with you, time for a closed fist trial...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Van Blank,

Brother Argos is working on the downloads section, along with other items, and hopefully it'll be back soon. In the meantime if you PM me your email I can send the PDF tutorial directly to you :)

PS: I promise an update soon, very soon, Umbra Mortis is coming along nicely, it's just the gunner and Dull Coting to go really!

How have I not seen this thread before?

Lovely Raven Guard! One of my favourite chapters, and one I have tried to build an army out of in the past. 

Are you planning on adding Shrike/Shrike Counts-as to unlock some of the Raven Guard in-game effects?

Also, I see a suspicious lack of Drop Pods and Jump Troops. Is that intentional?

Either way, thread followed :)

Cheers, 

WW

@Wraithwing: Yes, the lack of scouts and JP equipped Marines is intentional, in the background for SFD I noted they're fighting on a ruined industrial planet with nasty radiological and particulate pollution that precludes proper/efficient operation of turbines and similar equipment, hence, no JPs or 'speeders. Equally the pollution is such that Scouts can't be risked given how slowly the RG recruit and the inherent instability of their geneseed and the likelihood it will be affected by radiation/pollution.

OK, some progress - Umbra Mortis is finished

gallery_385_5278_612599.jpg

A regular plastic RH1NO with a bunch of FW gubbinz to turn it into a Razorback and add RG flavour. They include TLLC RB turret (magnetised in case I ever want to swap weapons), the 'dozer blade, the crewman w/bolter at the hatch, the two RG hatches and the etched brass Umbra Mortis nameplate on the back.

Outstanding work on the RB as usual. For your tech Servitor could you not add the axe to his back to make it look more like he is carrying rather than brandishing it? Also you mentioned the fact it's not helmeted, is there no way to maybe press mold a respirator on it?

@Syth: I've actually done a step-by-step tutorial for this black including listing the paints, PM your email and I'll mail it to you or give it a few days and it'll be available in the B&C downloads section when I finish re-uploading everything after the upgrade.

On the TM, he's now ready for painting with a closed fist, slightly converted raven and a few minor changes to the servitor:

gallery_385_5278_373827.jpg

@Mattias: Thanks :blush.: The 'raven' is from the Dark Eldar Razorwing Flock blister although I also have a couple of similar ones from Reaper's Familiar range.

@Biohazard: Thanks, I'm happier with the RB than the WW and Predator, the white is much more convincing. On the servitor, I like the skills to convincingly model any reasonable back mounted clip/strap for the axe sadly, in the end I've turned the axe around and it does a better (but not great) job of saying "I'm too dumb to work out how this works, I'm really just holding it for him' than before.

I also considered a mask but again, through lack of skill, wimped out and decided the hose leading to his nostril is providing him oxygen at the least. I'm planning on trying to produce an unhealthy pale/sickly skin tone to show the pollution is taking its toll even on a half-machine servitor.

@Demon2027: Like I said to Biohazard, I can kit-bash but anything requiring re-sculpting or more than a limb swap is beyond me.

And, as I've been asked this question a few times now, here's some info on the MV lenses I use instead of painting gems/lenses (because I suck at that):

For lenses, I actually find MV lenses easier to find than Greif lenses, I often pick up a pack or two from my local model train store, but that's probably not much use to you unless you're in Melbourne and can get to Brighton.

That said, might be worth asking at your local store if you have one, they often carry a decent range.

I have also picked up quite a few from

Spruebrothers ' online store within the last 6 months or so, just search for 'lens' and navigate to either MV or Greif. They have Greif and MV lenses on their store and they're both generally available.

Some things I've learnt re: lenses

• I've found 0.046"/1.2mm & 0.052"/1.3mm most useful for infantry figures (bionic eyes, targeters, jewels).
  • 0.070"/1.8mm up to 0.082"/2.1mm are useful for the smaller sized vehicle lenses
  • Unfortunately the large vehicle lenses on GW/FW kits vary in size a fair bit so I haven't found a standard lens for them and I've used everything from 0.101"/2.6mm to 0.159"/4.0mm and a fair few sizes in between
  • Always install them after the rest of the model is complete - including varnishing as every varnish I've tried has frosted the lens or totally ruined the lens effect
  • Always drill a hole for them to sit in and use a slow setting glue (not CA/superglue) so you can fit them in the right place - wonky lenses look worse than a bad paint job
  • When in doubt about what size to order go for a smaller size, an oversized lens not only looks odd but can expose the silvered reverse of the lens which can reduce the impact of the lens proper
  • They're really easy to lose, especially if they hit the floor. I always work over a little container so if I drop them I know where they go, but if you do drop one, turn off the lights and use a torch to try and find the little bugger - the back is reflective silver and the front 'glows' dimly when the light hits it so it's your best best to retrieve a lost one
  • And finally - don't underestimate clear lenses, not only can they be tinted with the right glaze but a clear lens is probably the best representation of an unlit light (say, RH1NO headlights) you can get, much better than yellow for example

Hopefully folks'll find that useful.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm paying really close attention to this thread. It's jaw dropping and inspiring. Amazing poses and paint! I've always been drawn to the allure of the Raven Guard. I want to start a force myself, but am knee deep in a renegades Nurgle project. The only question is when! (and if I want to go successor or not)

• 1 month later...

Ive followed your work for a while both here and SoC and i can say they are perfect, if my army are anything like yours i will be amazed, best raven guard ive seen, cant wait to see some jump packs thrown into the mix!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Long time no see - it's a busy time of year for me so I've not had much time for painting. And most of what I've been doing hasn't actually been RG related because I got a little tired of painting black there.

Instead I've been trying some new techniques and trying to create a very different kind of army:

Brother Rollo :

gallery_385_8411_314570.jpg

Brother Sievl:

gallery_385_8411_28141.jpg

So you can see I've been trying out weathering and scratching here, with varying degrees of success. There are a couple of, ummm, less successful Space Wolves I've not shown, but I did learn a lot from them...

That said, something Forgeworld recently released did catch my eye for Shadow Force Dragomir:

gallery_385_5278_45415.jpg

Anyone surprised I picked up the MkIV Recon Squad marines? Bueller? Bueller? Didn't think so...

Updates will be slow for the next few weeks but rest assured work is in progress and SFD continues to grow.

@Chaeron: Shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the tutorial PDF.

Anyone surprised I picked up the MkIV Recon Squad marines? Bueller? Bueller? Didn't think so...

:lol:

I look fwd to see the Recon squad joining your army SCC! I myself think of adding them as stand-ins for normal scouts as I cannot stand the "official" scout models... :D