IA: Sons of Pyron v2.5

Ecritter

I'm sorry, but after working hard on this chapter for two and a half months you come here and your first comments are to insult me and my family ... you tell me how I should take it. How would you take it, and be honest?

I've purposely stayed away from your articles ... just an idea.

Apparently I either suck at explaining or you didn't read what I said.

That was a joke that had nothing to do with your family, man. It was a simple riff on the way what you'd typed could be pronounced and had no reflection on you, anyone related to you, or anything other than a simple typo.

No harm meant, seriously. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Apparently I either suck at explaining or you didn't read what I said.

That was a joke that had nothing to do with your family, man. It was a simple riff on the way what you'd typed could be pronounced and had no reflection on you, anyone related to you, or anything other than a simple typo.

No harm meant, seriously. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.

I read what you wrote, seems like I've read similar replies from you before to me and others. You're insulting and condescending and when called on it your standard reply is "I was just joking".

Its not a joke, its your personality. You seem to enjoy insulting others and your perceived position of authority here gives you the perfect forum for it. I for one, just want you to ignore my threads from now on .... as I was insinuating in my last post.

EDIT: that last line really burns me. My feelings aren't hurt, but I'm sure you'd love it if they were.

I read what you wrote, seems like I've read similar replies from you before to me and others. You're insulting and condescending and when called on it your standard reply is "I was just joking".

Its not a joke, its your personality. You seem to enjoy insulting others and your perceived position of authority here gives you the perfect forum for it. I for one, just want you to ignore my threads from now on .... as I was insinuating in my last post.

Ok. I'm going to defend brother Apothete.

Yes, he is often sardonic and stompy to the point of being cruel, but his only fault, IMHO, is his lack of skill in using smilies. After all the Internet, like any other written-message form of communication, is lacking when it comes to the tone (or feelings).

But note that I and some others (just remember bowling ball and spine-flail) believe that the most straightforward and honest critique is the best (or as in my case they can't be as elegant and nice as the Ace. ;) ).

For me, there was no insulting or condescending in his post, only bad conveyed joke and he did his best to explain and apologize.

But, each to his own, I suppose. ;)

Yes, he is often sardonic and stompy to the point of being cruel, but his only fault, IMHO, is his lack of skill in using smilies.

A trait he shares with me. A fact I'm rather proud of!

EDIT: that last line really burns me. My feelings aren't hurt, but I'm sure you'd love it if they were.

To add weight to Apothete's defense. He used to address me in the same "blunt" fashion, actually, now that I think of it he still does from time to time, but not as much as he used to. You know why? Because, instead of taking it personally and took notice of criticism and I replied in a reasonable and polite fashion (as much as I'm able to). And now count him among my friends and I respect him, and I don't think I'm out of line if I claim that the feeling is mutual.

Now you on the other hand seem very defensive, sticking to that one remark meaningless remark instead of answering his criticism in the good faith it was given. If you ask me, that's rather unbecoming of a Liberite.

You know Ecritter, you do know where you are don't you?

Y'know, the Internet? Not only is the interweb an extremely hostile and offensive place at the best of times, but this is one of the tamest, safest and heavily moderated places to be on the entire damn net.

Reading his comments, I have had similar (oh lord here I'm going to harp on about how long I've been here again, which isn't even that long) critiques from other such 'stompy' individuals. Octavulg was famous for beating people to a pulp.

When Mekboy was still one of the mods here he consistently thrashed my work until I was sure he didn't actually like me. In one post he said he was doing it to improve my work and lo and behold, I believed him.

We all have our mannerisms and quirks in the way we reply to people but in all due respect, you're being incredibly oversensitive. The best way to deal with harsh criticism? Take it in your stride and respond positively, what's the worst that can happen?

Truly how offended can you really be by sardonic, baseless assertions by an otherwise anonymous Internet user who happens to reside on the same open-board as you?

Everyone will now be jumping on the 'defending Apothete' bandwagon, or at least that is how it will seem to you. Honestly I'm less defending his remarks (because they are what they are) and more decrying your reaction to them. You're making your own bed and deliberately choosing to be hostile over trying to make things better. Nothing ever came of fostering animosity with anyone.

You may say "but he said this bad thing!" and if you do I'll throw away the 'age card' that you try to pull, because it's immature to behavior. It's up to you how you react to other peoples criticism.

Y'know, I think I'm gonna come out and say it. I love the Liber and I get rather cranky when people act up out of hand. I think the only people I haven't really said anything to in regards to this are KingHongKong, Siggy and Ace Debonair. These are some remarkably level headed individuals and they are the few and far between because we are of course all human after all and mistakes are made, more by myself I think than most.

Was Apothete a bit near the knuckle with his remarks? Absolutely, but it didn't warrant attacking him personally and certainly not the job that he does here, which is appreciated by many here in the Liber.

This line says it all, and it's not good. It's 'poor me' and 'me me me' all rolled into one. Not least of which the fact that he offered an olive branch and you threw it to the ground and stomped on it with hobnailed boots.

It also takes me back to the first few posts you made in the Liber, declaring yourself to be the 'old man' of the forum when you had barely just made an account. This burned me, honestly, because reality has little bearing on how you act and react to an entity here which is just a name and avatar picture. We attach our own ideas of their personality and your assertions to age and wisdom were egocentric and flew in the face of the fact that all around you were those who had been here for longer and had been doing this for longer, myself included.

However, I let it slide because on reflection it was a petty thing to get upset over and that it was just my own ego that wanted the recognition and prestige associated with being a long-standing member of the Liber, of which I hardly was.

The point is you made remarks that, unknown to you, ticked me off rather greatly. However instead of getting too antsy about it, it passed by and didn't flare up into some forum-war, which serves no one and only creates tension. What would the point have been?

Just to be clear, I don't dislike you Ecritter I think you have some great ideas for DIY's. I also think you have some strange ideas in opposition to my own opinions, but that's par for the course and I respect that. I do however think you're also terribly thin-skinned and it's hampering your interaction with Apothete.

I think I'll go get a nice cup of tea and a snack now, all that writing has somewhat tired me out. :tu:

Edit:

I'm sorry, but after working hard on this chapter for two and a half months you come here and your first comments are to insult me and my family ... you tell me how I should take it. How would you take it, and be honest?

Get back to me when you've been working on your IA for a few years.

The Sons of Pyron is my best and most acceptable chapter to date. If it has problems let me know. Don't post insults to me or my family and don't defend those that do. "This is the internet" is no excuse, its just a copout.

Well... The points that Apothete raised still stand, you are yet to address any of them. If you want to better your chapter, you might wish to start there. And if you are worried that answering his post will bring make him reply, I'm quite sure it won't happen unless you ask him directly for input.

The Sons of Pyron is my best and most acceptable chapter to date. If it has problems let me know. Don't post insults to me or my family and don't defend those that do. "This is the internet" is no excuse, its just a copout.

Well, I can see where Ecritter is coming from.

Anyone who chose to post something I could interpret as an attack on my family would have the devil of a time convincing me they meant anything else.

That sort of caper is just simply not on, and I think I'd have the right to be rather impolite in return.

But, for what it's worth, I honestly don't think Apothete intended a slur on your lineage. It looks to me (an outsider in this matter) like a bit of wry humour gone badly awry.

As far as criticism goes, though, Apothete has nailed a fair few issues that the rest of us hadn't really noticed.

One thing, though:

The Sons did little to reform the warlike nature of the native inhabitants, they only claimed the mountain and valley below and forbade any fighting between the kingdoms on their lands. When their Mountain Fortress was complete, the Sons sent out proclamations to all the kingdoms announcing the Games. Warriors from all the kingdoms travel to the Games, competing in combat to win favor of the Sons and the chance to lay with the Daughters.

Would it not be worth noting that these kingdoms are fielding child-warriors for some unknown reason? After all, the aspirants can only be accepted if they're below a certain age, which means that the most successful warriors are likely far too old to allow implantation.

The impression I got from that was that getting to father future aspirants was the prize, not becoming a marine yourself, much like with the games on Pyron. Have I got this right?

EDIT:

At the moment this is on hold.

Oops, just read that. Great timing, Ace. :)

Archived