Red Scorpions

blackbabyjesus

Finished the 'banner' part now, happy with how it's ended up though I had a bit of an imagination fart on the pennants at the bottom and ended up doing standard text-and-planet-map cliché boringness. ho-hum.

gallery_43855_5376_9359.jpg

To aid in the painting of the top part I've now glued it to the model, was looking at pinning the banner top to the pole, but my drill bit isn't long enough to reach into the bottom of the banner without scraping all the paint off it, fingers crossed superglue will hold it!

gallery_43855_5376_187362.jpg

DIE HERETIC!

gallery_43855_5376_41053.jpg

banner top done!

gallery_43855_5376_361286.jpg

Went for a roman style all gold scheme, I figured there was enough red scorpion iconography in colour on the banner itself.

Final thing I need to do is fill in the six name/word plaques on the banner itself, suggestions welcome! If you'd like your name on there, spacemarineify it up and I'll see what I can do! (6 characters max though, my brushes are small but not *that* small!)

BBJ that banner is amazing, and absolutely loving the scorpion on the bolter - I think 'Ortys' should definitely be one of the names on the banner [Chapter Master killed during Badab War].

Edit - just realised the scorpion on the bolter is part of the sculpt - still, you painted it nicely ;)

BlackBabyJesus these are some sweet scorpions dude .Ive been following your progress and it has helped me continue with my own red scorpions as i hit a few dead ends with my scorpions . Lovin the way you do your power weapons and that banner is just mental in a good way . I think you should do bikes next you will have fun with those .

Keep it up

Right, Ortys is definitely in, so is Semaj (my name backwards!), Olis / Redan (whichever is easier to paint) can also go on for providing me with the idea for the red border, what other heroes of the Red Scorpions / B&C should go on?

The scorpion on the bolter is indeed sculpted detail, it's one of the little brass etch disks, I had to bling up the bolter somehow as you only get 3 blingy bolters in the set and I was away from home when I assembled these so I couldn't grab the extra command squad bolter I have in a bits box somewhere.

Ho hum!

Scratch that... have tried and failed to paint text onto those boxes, they're just too small for me to be able to do it. We'll have to make do with squiggly 'text' instead.

At least it means I don't have to think up any more names to write in though!

I really like your finished banner. I also really like your army, they look amazing. How did you do the white on their helmets?

apologies for not replying to this straight away...

The helmets are done by basecoating with Elf Grey (coat d'arms make it now), a dilute wash of gryphonne sepia into the cracks and suchlike, then add vallejo white to the elf grey to highlight. I didn't go all the way up to full white on these, or loth, but I was pretty darned close.

Right, Ortys is definitely in, so is Semaj (my name backwards!), Olis / Redan (whichever is easier to paint) can also go on for providing me with the idea for the red border, what other heroes of the Red Scorpions / B&C should go on?

I was feeling very flattered, bbj, until I read your next post. Oh well. I still feel a little flattered, I must say. Cheers! :)

FINISHED!!!! (the honour guard anyway... still got a whole army to paint, probably won't ever be actually finished.)

Pictures:

group shot from the front

gallery_43855_5376_29082.jpg

group shot from behind

gallery_43855_5376_786289.jpg

standard bearer

gallery_43855_5376_276614.jpg

chapter champion

gallery_43855_5376_143758.jpg

dude with bolter

gallery_43855_5376_411099.jpg

dude with bolter and relic blade

gallery_43855_5376_321034.jpg

group shot with the boss

gallery_43855_5376_785959.jpg

Bikes next! have made a loose start to assembling them, will post pictures tomorrow hopefully. Any suggestions for armament? I've got 4 bikes and a chaplain on bike in the works, another 5 bikes and a plastic commander kit still on the sprues (bike captain for toughness 5 turbo boosting troops... yeah!).

The Severin Loth kit is really excellent, s'why I bought two! What they dont tell you on te FW site is that it comes with the full Command Squad box, so you get all that sexyness plus a whack of parts to go with it.

Archived