Red Scorpions

blackbabyjesus

Normally, I'd say go for a mixture of symbols, so you can personalise each bike, but the Red Scorpions seem pretty tight on their equipment so maybe standardising them would work better? Also, you've got quite a clean crisp look going with the rest of the force, so probably stick with the codex. If you find the assault markings difficult, maybe consider using a stencil? I'd suggest using engraver's tape if you go down that route, and try to get the least sticky variety.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly this project is going into storage for 6 months. The day has finally come for my ship to sail so I'll be spending the next 6 months vomiting my way around the southern oceans! We're back on the 2nd December so I'll pick up the paintbrush again then.

Until December, adios!

A real shame, one of the best Red Scorpion armies I've seen, December seems like a long way off! All the best on your travels though!

• 6 months later...

Hokay, so update time, bikes are more-or-less done, just need metallics putting on the guns/aquilas and the headlights painting. Riders are tomorrow's job!

Assault insignia will go on all at the same time as the riders, it'll help with consistency.

Front shot

gallery_43855_5376_24501.jpg

Side shot:

gallery_43855_5376_85724.jpg

Rear shot (lol):

gallery_43855_5376_76674.jpg

comments/criticism as usual would be great!

Tell me about it, the south atlantic is an unpleasant place....

gallery_43855_6738_67135.jpg

South Atlantic, eh? Did you visit the Falklands?

Oh, and good work on the bikes, BBJ (the auspexes are nice and crisp). :rolleyes:

Bikes now 'complete', still need basing and squad markings, but those can come after the riders are done.

Tempted to add some chips and scratches to the fronts of the wheel arches to make the yellow look a little more worn, what do you guys think?

gallery_43855_5376_22811.jpg

gallery_43855_5376_37024.jpg

gallery_43855_5376_68353.jpg

Also, have ordered an ebay photo booth type thingy from amazon, should arrive soon ish and enable me to take better photos. These were all 2 second exposures at f16, any wider on the aperture and I don't have enough depth of field, any quicker on the shutter speed and they're underexposed, new lights and a diffuser should help alleviate that problem :D

Woop Woop.

The salesman walked up to a like of bikes, fresh from the manufactorium. "Have I got a ride for you..."

They're really nice, almost too nice. I agree, some paint chipping and a bit of weathering would really make them look even better. They're just a bit too clean.

I'd maybe hold off on the weathering for a bit, see how they look once the riders are done? To my mind the marine is usually the focal point of the mini so it doesn't matter if the bike itself is a little bland when on its own.

Also, the rest of the army is very clean so it might look a bit odd to have one squad weathered and not the others? Unless you're planning to go back and add weathering to the rest...?

No plans to go back and weather the rest, I'm all about the speed painting with these guys! 10 hour maximum per unit. I've done a bit of chipping to the yellow on the tactical squad's razorback, it's subtle and quick to do so I will probably carry it on to all my vehicles.

*** EDIT ***

Don't like double posting so I'll add my next update right onto the end of this one!

Bike riders have made some progress this evening, didn't plan on painting as my new computer arrived by courier, but the hard disk was DOA so no MW3 goodness for me!

Sergeant's helmet needs a little more work tying all the red together I think, apart from that I'm pretty happy with where they are at the moment, comments and criticism welcome!

gallery_43855_5376_68029.jpg

It's not this pink IRL, that's photoshop's auto colour, I'm far too lazy to play about with the levels myself for a WIP photo.

gallery_43855_5376_18951.jpg

gallery_43855_5376_59099.jpg

Sooo, bikes are nearing completion, have now put the riders on and all they really need is basing and squad markings, think I'm going to freehand them on, it'll take a while but I really hate decals and I can get away with not using them here so I will.

Pictures here:

Sergeant and one of the special weapon dudes, the specials are magetised so I have 2 of everything except flamers.

gallery_43855_5376_91628.jpg

Special weapon dude and an ablative wound.

gallery_43855_5376_3680.jpg

Obligatory diamond formation group shot

gallery_43855_5376_12746.jpg

loving the paint job on these, absolutely fantastic. My Red Scorpions will all be with the FW conversion kits when i get the money for them. Redoing all my old stuff one squad at a time, and i can honestly say these put mine to shame..

Kudo's to you sir

Matchbox

Finished! First 4 bikes all done, just another 5 including the chaplain and a couple of attack bikes to do... Later I think, don't want to even look at another bike for a long time.

Oh look, some photos!

Sergeant and ablative wound guy from the left

gallery_43855_5376_54156.jpg

and from the right...

gallery_43855_5376_93125.jpg

Special weapon dudes with melta

gallery_43855_5376_316235.jpg

Same guys, but with the wonder of magnets and plasma!

gallery_43855_5376_75922.jpg

and from the right...

gallery_43855_5376_351595.jpg

Final group shot from the rear showing the incredibly time consuming assault logos, seriously, I am never doing a whole assault squad, those crosses take FOR EVER.

gallery_43855_5376_413818.jpg

Aaaaaand what's next for my slowly growing battleforce.... This dude!

gallery_43855_5376_263.jpg

DOUBLE POST!!!!!

Did a bit on the Captain this evening/morning (how the hell did it get to be 4.30 in the morning?!), blocked out the colours for the grey/yellow, and decided that I'd do the face first this time round... thankfully it's not glued in so I'll remove it while I paint everything else to avoid splashing red all over it or something!

Choice of head isn't final either, I have a spare FW MkIV helmet in my bits box that I'm really tempted to use (he is a Red Scorpion after all!), and I'm not 100% sure on his armament, sword is staying, no way around that, but a bolter just seems a little mundane. Can anyone suggest a suitable Storm Shield? I've dry fitted the assault squad combat shield thing and it's nowhere near big enough and it looks a little too utilitarian to belong to a Captain.

Anyhoo, here's the photos to distract you all from reading that boring bit up there!

Blu-Tacked together for now:

gallery_43855_5376_406079.jpg

and an Extreme close up of the only 'finished' part of the model.

gallery_43855_5376_464502.jpg

Comments, criticism, witty repartee all gladly received!

Archived