Red Scorpions

blackbabyjesus

Bikes are lovely, good job. Shame about the bolter on the Captain, I think it looks awesome but I can't deny it's not the best choice gaming-wise. A Captain should so be able to upgrade to have Special Issue Ammo! (I guess you could give him Hellfire shells and an AuxGL and counts-as it, but that's getting a bit steep) I also like the bare head, maybe if there's space, add the helm to the back of his belt or something, get the best of both worlds?

DOUBLE POST!!!!!

Did a bit on the Captain this evening/morning (how the hell did it get to be 4.30 in the morning?!), blocked out the colours for the grey/yellow, and decided that I'd do the face first this time round... thankfully it's not glued in so I'll remove it while I paint everything else to avoid splashing red all over it or something!

Choice of head isn't final either, I have a spare FW MkIV helmet in my bits box that I'm really tempted to use (he is a Red Scorpion after all!), and I'm not 100% sure on his armament, sword is staying, no way around that, but a bolter just seems a little mundane. Can anyone suggest a suitable Storm Shield? I've dry fitted the assault squad combat shield thing and it's nowhere near big enough and it looks a little too utilitarian to belong to a Captain.

Anyhoo, here's the photos to distract you all from reading that boring bit up there!

Blu-Tacked together for now:

gallery_43855_5376_406079.jpg

and an Extreme close up of the only 'finished' part of the model.

gallery_43855_5376_464502.jpg

Comments, criticism, witty repartee all gladly received!

Great work man - truly great painting skills. Is it just me or does that not remind you of Jason Statham? hah

Griz

• 2 weeks later...

Progress made on the Captain (or should that be Commander, he is a Red Scorpion after all), started on the metallics and stuff. Armour is still just charadon granite, I'm experimenting with doing things a little bit backwards on this model, get all the messy stuff out of the way first and then shade/highlight the armour after I've done all the touch ups... We'll see if it works out at the end I guess!

The bolter arm is still just blu tacked on, waiting for some bits to arrive before I start doing magnet stuff, want to know if the shield I've ordered will look any good before I commit to anything. It's a WHFB Empire Knight's shield with a laurel and a skull on it, add in a couple of aquilas and some purity seals and I think it should look suitably 40k, it's the scale I'm more worried about, is it going to look too small and wimpy for a space marine captain?

Anyhoo, bored you all enough with the wall of text there, so here's a photo:

gallery_43855_5376_972938.jpg

Comments/criticism gladly received.

I, blackbabyjesus of the Red Scorpions, Index Astartes Forum, vow on the honour of my Chapter to paint and present at least one Sternguard Squad, one Contemptor Dreadnought and one Predator on or before the 31st of March, 2012. I promise to provide at least two WIP updates, preferably with pictures, in that time. I vow that if I should fail, I will provide the Librarium with an article and wear the Signature of Shame until my penitence period is done.

God help me.

I should probably just start writing the Librarium article now!

More progress! (yes, me posting at 9:30am while I'm on leave means I pulled an all nighter, whoops) I've decided my particular army will be 5th Company, so the Captain's getting a black cloak!

Captain is now at the point where I'm having to find things to do other than the armour... I think I'm doing to have to bite the bullet and open the charadon granite!

Banner will be done last, just like the honour guard, I don't like painting them, so I'll save it til last to avoid rushing it.

Comments and criticism (mostly criticism required!) gladly received.

Rarr, I'm angry, the red light on my headset says so, it's a mood headset, red is angry.

gallery_43855_5376_189647.jpg

standard hollywood shot

gallery_43855_5376_123733.jpg

his arse, the cloak's highlighting has been a little washed out by the camera... though looking at it again I'm thinking it could do with coming up a couple of shades, we'll see if I have the motivation to do it at the end.

gallery_43855_5376_80443.jpg

So I finally caved in and admitted defeat... no amount of trawling through third party stores will find me a shield that I like, so I've bought one of these:

gallery_43855_6738_34154.jpg

You try finiding that shield on a bitz store anywhere in the UK, or even Europe! Go on, dare you! THEY DON'T EXIST!!!! I've had to buy that from an American ebay seller, who only had one left (I'm considering myself really lucky to have found it before someone else) and I'll be paying through the nose for it, but it's on the way now, and the captain will have a shield befitting his stature.

Also got him one of these:

gallery_43855_6738_3513.jpg

to go on his left shoulder for when he's using his shield, it's a bit more 'bling' than his bare MkVI shoulder pad he has now, and a damn sight cheaper than the shield!

@lorenzo_ishivar_kain: Yes I'm in the Royal Navy.

@Ch@oZ: Don't cry too long, I'll mess it all up before I finish!

@Strike Captain Lysimachus: toyed with the idea of having the helmet on his belt or something but couldn't find anywhere natural looking to put it, dry fitted a FW MkIV helm to the model and it didn't look 'right' so he's keeping his bare-bullet-magnet-melon for now. I agree about the bolter, since painting it I'm really fond of the model, it just looks so cool! But the storm shield is so much better in game that sadly the bolter will never see the field. Boo.

More progress this evening, finished the grey and yellow parts of the captain's armour, took probably 2 hours total so I'm pretty happy with how it turned out!

The magnetic shoulder is working great, though because both parts are metal the braid part nearest his left shoulder is chipping quite badly, I've put some gloss varnish on it in the hope that this'll be a bit tougher... fingers crossed. Shouldn't be much of a problem in a couple of weeks though, his shield will arrive and I'll angle the new shoulder pad so that none of it touches and only the magnets remain in direct contact, after that it should be all good!

Thinking of making him a plasma pistol arm too, I could use him as Sicarius then!

Anyhoo, you're probably all bored of my rambling so here's some photos to make reading that halfway worthwhile!

Don't worry about him, he's 'armless. ( OHLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL ):

gallery_43855_5376_72244.jpg

Does my bum look big in this?:

gallery_43855_5376_23453.jpg

Hollywood pose:

gallery_43855_5376_196574.jpg

Comments/criticism requested! Also, what colour to do his sword? I'm thinking red like the honour guard, but then maybe blue to set him out from the crowd?

Good progress so far, BBJ. I'd like to see him with a red sword - I'd rather he fit in with his squad than look like an odd one out. Besides, your libby has a blue blade anyway, right?

Paint pretty much finished on the Captain, just waiting for microsol/set to arrive in the post and I can put the decals onto his shoulder/banner.

Went for a blue sword in the end, there's already quite a lot of red on the model and I didn't want the relic blade (LOLZ, I know, more like relic letteropener!) to get lost in it all. The blue is subdued enough to not take attention away from anything else, but contrasting enough to stand out in it's own right, so I'm happy with it.

He's not going to win me any daemons (like I can ever plan far enough into the future to attend Games Day anyway) but for a gaming army he'll do just fine!

Here's the pictures:

gallery_43855_5376_202173.jpg

gallery_43855_5376_197350.jpg

gallery_43855_5376_231611.jpg

Oh, and recipe's for the grey and yellow:

Yellow is Iyanden darksun with a gryphonne sepia wash, followed by golden yellow and then golden yellow/white mix for highlights.

Grey is charadon granite with a badab black wash into recesses, add in adeptus battlegrey for first couple of highlights then add astronomican grey for the final few, finishing off with pure astronomican grey. Then a bit more badab black to really deepen the shadows.

Comments/criticism/abuse welcome!

Capitain now complete!

gallery_43855_5376_30628.jpg

sadly when I varnished him there was a fibre (so small I couldn't see it at the time) on his head, it's now embedded in the varnish and I really don't want to risk trying to shave it off with a knife... so there it shall stay. Bummer.

LPC has also started for me.... with a predator that's been threatening to be built and painted for months (actually more than a year now... oops!). Went for full flexibility on the weapon options and magnetised everything except storm bolters and hunter killer missiles (I never buy either).

Destructor first:

gallery_43855_5376_30329.jpg

Annihilator:

gallery_43855_5376_57212.jpg

and finally everything detached:

gallery_43855_5376_47175.jpg

should hopefully be able to get the bulk of the predator done tomorrow, then I can move on to the sternguard, or maybe the scouts that are sitting in a jar of nitro-mors at the moment, choices choices!

Lots of progress on the predator yesterday, here's the current WIP:

gallery_43855_5376_153033.jpg

Yellow is just plain Iyanden Darksun at the moment (8 sodding coats!!!), weapons haven't been touched really and I haven't made a start on any of the metallics yet. Comments/criticism welcome.

Also, can anyone recommend a good spray paint with a similar colour to boltgun metal? I really really cannot be bothered painting the tracks by hand, and it'd save me a boat load of time when I get round to painting drop pods.

Predator finished! Took way way longer than I originally budgeted, but lessons have been learned and next time round I'll be airbrushing a lot more stuff (tracks, I hate tracks so much).

Not 100% sure about the devastator symbol on the front and turret either, I was kinda lost for something to fill those spaces up, and if a predator isn't going to be marked up as a 'devastator' unit, I dunno what is! Bit of a nod to tanks from the gulf war (good guys only!) who all had a chevron on them somewhere to denote that they were friendlies.

Anyway, boring text is over, here's some photos:

gallery_43855_5376_884.jpg

gallery_43855_5376_104392.jpg

gallery_43855_5376_57461.jpg

Archived