Knights of the Abyss WIP

Leardinal

i like your kit bash BFG models, mite use that as a reason to spring board into BFG..

That's is my reasoning. It would stink to buy a fleet and then no one will play. But, if I scratch build one, no monetary risk :).

you mite reversing the back packs on the cobra for your engines, or cutting the 4 power vents, and maybe use like the front end of a missile pod (CML,Typhoon, or Dread bits) and use that square bit to build/kit bash your engine block, La'blockade runner/ corvent from Star wars (the ship that princess is on, in the opening of "A new hope, Ep IV"

I have thought about using the front of Hunter-Killer missiles, but they may be too big, the Missile pods might be about the right size, will have to check.

I have also considered cutting the round vents off and reversing them for engines, which I am leaning towards.

Nova Frigate, test number 2

gallery_53411_5179_367903.jpg

gallery_53411_5179_461987.jpg

I changed the bridge, shortened it, changed the rear wings, and added the deflector shields to the front.

I am not sure if I like those deflectors yet. They might be too thick, I have been considering replacing them with flat strips of my psudo-plastic card to look more in line with the sketches.

C&C Welcome

Hello all,

I got my Green Stuff yesterday, but became busy doing family things and so didn't get to do anything with it. I have started painting another Marine, (If just to prove I haven't given up on them :D,) along with getting another version of the Cobra destroyer and the first Gladius frigate built.

Plasma Gunner

gallery_53411_5179_671928.jpg

Well, the rivets didn't show up the way I wanted them to. I did three layers of PVA glue on each rivet, and apparently that is not enough. I am going to have to go back and and more layers to make them more pronounced.

Cobra Class Destroyer

gallery_53411_5179_125997.jpg

Little blurry, sorry.

Still looking for a thin enough drill bit to make torpedo tubes, maybe I should look for another way. Anyone have a better idea?

I cut off the square exhausts and reversed the round ones. I swapped the prow for a scout shoulder and it looks right to me. The gun may be getting replaced.

Gladius Class Frigate

gallery_53411_5179_154373.jpg

I am actually proud at how this one came out. I realized the Gladius looks a lot like mini strike cruiser when looking at the artwork in the BFG rule book.

Gargh! The bridge is crooked, got ot fix it.

Note the Mech Warrior weapons making an apperance :).

The fleet so far

gallery_53411_5179_632487.jpg

I decided to ditch the deflectors on the Nova to help it stand out on its own. I am taking the under slung turret from it and use it for my Strike Cruiser.

Also going to make a new one since this one is scarred by glue :sweat:

C&C Welcome

It wasn't my game either DAT, then I ran across some scratch builds, realized how small ships in BFG are, thought I could make a few, and now I am diving headlong into BFG and hoping to drag some of my gaming buddies with me. If not, at least I can say I have a fleet for my Company to go for a joy ride in.

The mold lines idea is cool, but they still look like...well mold lines, and since I shaved off the square exhausts the only lines left are on the "engines," which reminds me that I need to shave them.

Eh, true.

Maybe I'll grab the rulebook for it and see what I can scratchbuild myself. You and Shortsonfire are both starting it, if you guys are looking into it then it's worth a shot :D I've always been attracted to ships and naval combat anyways, although for some reason it's either far future or old history ships ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I did some things!

Specifically, I did some green stuff work on the Techmarine and Iron Armored Marine, as well base coated 3 more marines. I also constructed a Terminator Captain for this year's AoD, I only have a month before they start taking down names, better get started!

Iron Armor

gallery_53411_5179_422221.jpg

I did the back of his legs with green stuff, still have to add vents and rivets on the rest of his armor.

I didn't take pictures of the Techmarine, because all I did was fill the DA symbol.

The Marines

gallery_53411_5179_144435.jpg

The Sergeant

gallery_53411_5179_716744.jpg

Still going to add some decorations, do you think he needs a cape to fit in with the other Sergeants?

Terminator Captain

gallery_53411_5179_329511.jpg

Think this will be Altus before he was Entombed within a Dreadnought.

C&C Welcome

Hello all,

It's the 4th of July, (happy birthday USA,) so I feel the need to do some form of Update.

I have to work today, but have tomorrow off, so I am planning on getting some actual work done then.

This cape was my first attempt at using Green Stuff as more then filler.

gallery_53411_5179_111200.jpg

gallery_53411_5179_470861.jpg

Although I messed the cape up, I learned some things:

1. I couldn't get the Back Pack off and tried to work around it, need to get it off.
  2. Shorten the rope.
  3. Make sure the ends of the Cape are the same length.
  4. Form more folds before the Cape dries.

I am getting ready to remove the Green Stuff and start again.

as somebody who spends half his life making cloaks for models i have a few tips for you.. you are of course more than welcome to ignore me like a hobo shouting obscenities at pigeons.

tip 1: working off a sturdy base is always easier than trying to sculpt a freehanging cloak on the fly. personally i do the basic shape of the cloak by rolling a thin layer of putty over tinfoil and then cutting it to the right shape, not only does this mean that the cloak will hold its shape better (doesnt flop about whilst drying) but it means i can dry fit it to the model before actually fixing it in place.

tip 2: keep the folds subtle, if you look at most gw capes of late their full of folds that dont make sense or look like they weigh more than the man wearing it.. just enough folds to make the cape look as though its being caught by the wind is fine and can be done just by bending the cloak to roughly the right shape.

tip 3: only sculpt sharp folds need the shoulders/backpack.. if you check out the captain im working on in my fire angel thread (shameless self promotion) you'll see what i mean.

and finally, use the right tools, the gw sculpting tool is not good for material, invest in some clay shapers and rejoice at how awesome they are.

hopefully i havent come across as a toss pot and some of that makes sense. ;)

Thanks for the advice!

1: I had thought about using plasticard as a base and shaping the cloak off of it, but I would have to do both sides and their wouldn't any guide to help get the shape right. I will give your method a go and see what comes out.

2: I was planning on doing subtler folds, good to know that just bending the cape should be good enough.

3: Got it.

4: I am using wax shaping tools, (they look a lot like metal Dentist tools,) and as long as I keep them wet they have worked great.

I am not familiar with what a "toss pot" is, but I am assuming, (mainly because of the screaming hobo comment,) that it means crazy. If so, then don't worry, I understood everything you said or meant.

Hello all,

Quick Update, Redid the Cape for the Sergeant, and started painting the Corvus Armored Marine.

Sergeant

gallery_53411_5179_107886.jpg

gallery_53411_5179_91026.jpg

I tried using Aluminum Foil, but the Green Stuff just wouldn't let go so I tried with my other idea of using Plisticard as the base. I have to go over some spots here or there, but I like how it came out.

Corvus Armored Marine

gallery_53411_5179_398303.jpg

Just the first coat of Grey after the Undercoat.

I love Modeling and Converting, I love seeing what I have planned out in my head come together. I find it harder to get that motivated about painting though, not to say that I dislike painting, but I do prefer the building and converting more.

So I decided that I would have to paint one model before I could start building another one, it may be the only way for me to field a fully painted army for once :rolleyes:.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Just a little update:

I am going to have 2 Predators in my list and I had one from when I first got into the hobby, (so, it is about 8 years old,) but I managed to lose the Lascannon side sponsons. So, after thinking about it and discussing it a little, I decided to do this:

gallery_53411_5179_102435.jpg

I lowered the doors to make firing platforms for a couple lascannon totting marines.

The scale is a little off, but so is everything else in 40k.

gallery_53411_5179_593520.jpg

I magnetized the Marines so they can swivel and be removed.

Still got to remove those mold lines, but I just wanted to get this thing together.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I haven't done much, but while I was walking the dogs I noticed a box leaning against the front door.

My Contempter Dreadnought had arrived!

gallery_53411_5179_264163.jpg

Ok, it may have arrived a few days ago, (no one uses the front door, and the mail hasn't come yet today.)

I am just about to start cleaning it up, and I should make some progress on it before I have to go to work.

Edit: Just noticed that one of the arms they sent me is not a Contempter arm, but appears to be the CC Arm from the new Salamander Dreadnought, time to send an email.

Edit2: Replacment arm being sent, I guess I can expect it in a couple weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

The replacement Contempter arm arrived today, but I have run into a small issue: I am out of glue ;).

Anyway, I decided I am going to file off all the BA symbols and go with my own. I have a new idea for the chapter's emblem, a generic star emblem dividing a black and red field.

Never mind this. like with everything else, I changed my mind.

Squad Banner Bearers

gallery_53411_5179_310536.jpg

gallery_53411_5179_1242331.jpg

gallery_53411_5179_819858.jpg

gallery_53411_5179_601535.jpg

These don't do anything rule-wise, but I like the idea and they will all be painted up to reflect the campaign history of the squad

If I may Ask, Where did you get the banners for those banner barrers?

I wanted something like this for my DA army.

If I may Ask, Where did you get the banners for those banner barrers?

I wanted something like this for my DA army.

I don't mind, but if you where looking to get multiple banners from one source, I am sorry to disappoint you. The banners are from the command squad box, (I bought 2, then traded something for the last one,) the little decorations on top are from WFB Bretonian helms, which I cut off because I thought they looked silly on the helmet.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

Well, I took a short break from Warhammer, but since today is my Birthday I decided it would be a good day to start again.

I wanted to work on the Contempter Dreadnought, but I have discovered that I need to pin him because the glue I am using isn't strong enough. Much to my annoyance, my Pin Vice has run off :D.

I did some work on the former Sternguard Sergeant, (now I have decided he will be a Counts-as Tycho,) the new Librarian, and I did some more painting.

Counts-As Tycho

I am trying to decide between how I want the Iron Halo modeled, either on the back pack or across the shoulders.

gallery_53411_5179_100600.jpg

gallery_53411_5179_760569.jpg

Counts-As Blood Song

gallery_53411_5179_767966.jpg

Counts-As Deadman's Hand

gallery_53411_5179_691515.jpg

New Librarian

gallery_53411_5179_204504.jpg

Sternguard

gallery_53411_5179_616812.jpg

Not much, but I went back and repainted some of the details, thats about it.

And finaly, a teaser for the other project I am working on

gallery_53411_5179_691443.jpg

Happy birthday fella.

I see your army's coming on very very nicely and your capes are coming along fantastic too.

Tyco's looking very good. Nice change to theaim model.

Hello all,

@Sword Brethren: Thank you! Found my pin vice a couple days ago, it was just out of where I usually put it and somehow got under a towel.

@Dorns_fist: Thank you Sir!

I have Counts-as Tycho built, got the legs of the Contemptor built, and started on a sword for the Dreadnought.

Counts-as Tycho

gallery_53411_5179_148255.jpg

Decided to go with Iron Halo over the shoulders

Contemptor Legs

gallery_53411_5179_283474.jpg

VICTORY!

This glue needs to set for a little while before it gets tacky, (at least a couple hours,) and the ball joints would not cooperate. After fighting with it for the past couple days, I decided to use green stuff to hold the parts in place while the glue sets.

Conteptor Sword

gallery_53411_5179_633328.jpg

I plan on running this guy as a Furriso Dreadnought with Blood Talons. I thought about going with the usual method of modeling claws onto his fingers, but I like the look of his hands and didn't want to mess them up. I then thought about doing some form of Dreadnought Lightning Claws, but I have never liked the look of lightning claws.

In the end, I decided that it would be better to have a Dread with a sword, just to keep things interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

@DAT: Thank you, now I just have to figure out how to make that slab of plasticard to look like a sword. Where did I put my green stuff...?

I started on my Deathwatch Team, originally it was going to be True Scale, (Inspired by Doghouse,) but after wrecking 2 terminators, I decided to go with normal scale models, (My failed attempts are why I haven't posted an update recently. Well, that and the new Space Marine game :wacko:.)

Squad Leader

gallery_53411_5179_623277.jpg

Of coarse the team is led by a member of my DIY, my ego couldn't stand for any less. <_<

I also was playing around with the Conteptor's legs, my venerable dreadnought's torso, and some blue tac...

gallery_53411_5179_641087.jpg

gallery_53411_5179_278603.jpg

Hmmmm....

That's weird, I've seen another conversion like that (for the Contemptor) that looked really good, but somehow the torso seems too big on this version <_<

I'll get a comparison shot tomorrow, the the Venerable Dread's torso is shorter the the Conteptator's, but it is longer and I think that is the problem.

What is your DIY chapter?

*Looks at title, "Knights of the Abyss"*

To be fair, it is five pages of going in circles involving Grey Knights, BFG, and other things, but I thought it was fairly obvious.

Don't look for an IA. I wrote it when I was sleepy and am slowly writing what boils down to a brand new one, but right now I am putting off working on it for long stretches of time and as it stands now...Just take my word for it, it is BAD.

That's weird, I've seen another conversion like that (for the Contemptor) that looked really good, but somehow the torso seems too big on this version :blink:

I'll get a comparison shot tomorrow, the the Venerable Dread's torso is shorter the the Conteptator's, but it is longer and I think that is the problem.

What is your DIY chapter?

*Looks at title, "Knights of the Abyss"*

To be fair, it is five pages of going in circles involving Grey Knights, BFG, and other things, but I thought it was fairly obvious.

Don't look for an IA. I wrote it when I was sleepy and am slowly writing what boils down to a brand new one, but right now I am putting off working on it for long stretches of time and as it stands now...Just take my word for it, it is BAD.

:wacko: I can't believe I missed that.

Well, there is this little thing called the Liber which is more than willing to help you :)

Archived