The Outcast Dead

Artein

@ Aaron - yeah, definitely my boo-boo, it was Graham on BLtv.

Can you give us any other small 'reveals' from the last BL HH authors roundtable meeting? No, I don't mean whether Dan prefers a bourbon and Graham a digestive :cuss

@ Aaron - yeah, definitely my boo-boo, it was Graham on BLtv.

Can you give us any other small 'reveals' from the last BL HH authors roundtable meeting? No, I don't mean whether Dan prefers a bourbon and Graham a digestive :P

Sure, but a lot of this one is shrouded in secrecy and the aftermath is still up in the air.

Incidentally, I missed this one because I had jazz to do, but I gave Dan some stuff to read out for me at the table. He filled me in afterwards, with a 2-hour phone call. He'd just got an Arvus Lighter from Forge World, the lucky scum.

Anyway, a lot of this one was organisational in nature, which will sound like nothing at all on the surface, but was pretty mega behind the scenes. There've been some major schedule changes, so more than one of us has changed our "my next novel will be..." predictions, and the near future has been mapped out with greater clarity.

It's now also mandated that no one is supposed to use "Astartes" as a noun to refer to individual or plural Space Marines. The meaning of it is officially clarified as "of the Stars" in High Gothic (i.e. Adepts of the Stars), so all authors need to use alternate nouns to represent them. That's a little tricky in the HH and in Chaos novels, but it's not exactly fatal.

Note: I just want to be absolutely clear by saying I don't want to be locked into a debate about this. I'm aware of the nuances on both sides of the point, trust me.

Really, it was a meeting where nothing will show on the outside for a long time. It involved a significant (and surprising) schedule shuffle, though - and, dare I say it, an awesome one.

Note 2: It doesn't affect the current officially announced titles, or their release dates, at all. This was literally all behind-the-scenes stuff.

It's now also mandated that no one is supposed to use "Astartes" as a noun to refer to individual or plural Space Marines. The meaning of it is officially clarified as "of the Stars" in High Gothic (i.e. Adepts of the Stars), so all authors need to use alternate nouns to represent them. That's a little tricky in the HH and in Chaos novels, but it's not exactly fatal.

What?! So if I was to make a submission to BL would they disregard it if I did use Astartes as a noun?

Just for the record what are you going to use instead, because Space Marine doesn't sound as good as Astartes...

What?! So if I was to make a submission to BL would they disregard it if I did use Astartes as a noun?

I have no idea how submissions work. I'm sure if it was good, they'd just say to change the instances of improper nouns before it was published.

Just for the record what are you going to use instead, because Space Marine doesn't sound as good as Astartes...

One of the first novels affected by the change will be Blood Reaver. Editorial did a Find/Replace job with it, and I fixed it up where I could just before it went to print.

For now, I'm trying out a lot of different things, and seeing what sticks.

I have no idea how submissions work. I'm sure if it was good, they'd just say to change the instances of improper nouns before it was published.

Many thanks for your prompt reply!

It's a dilema for me really. I want this to work out so I have put alot of effort into the story (though the Chapter by Chapter breakdown is causing me trouble!), but "Space Marine" just doesn't sound as cool as "Astartes" and I'm worried it comprimises the atmosphere I have built.

That was kind of a backwards decision.

So can we not refer to the Mechanicus as Mechanicus now? Is it supposed to be 'of the machine'? I can see how it would work for some of the Adeptus but not all the rest.

Luckily I can just say knights for Templars then.

@ Aaron - many thanks for the bits and pieces of information. I didn't think you would be in a position to answer with 'anything' so I am grateful that you have. Interesting stuff.

Black Library boss: 'Hi Aaron, how are things?'

Aaron: 'Not too bad thanks.'

BLB: 'How did you get on with the 'Astartes' change?'

Aaron: 'Bit tricky at first, but got there in the end.'

BLB: 'Actually, we have a new concept for your next HH novel.'

Aaron: 'Oh, what's that then?'

BLB: 'We have come to a decision that the letter 'e' is used far too often.'

Aaron: :)

See I like using Astartes and I think it makes sense as the people of the Imperium wouldn't speak high Gothic generally and it is logically something that common citizenary would associate an exotic word with a scary super soldier.

Anyway no point moaning about as BL aren't gona change things on our behalf.

Anyway no point moaning about as BL aren't gona change things on our behalf.

It's not just BL. It's GW, BL and FW: a core GW-mandated change.

I usually try to explain all I can, or shed a little light on the processes behind the scenes. Where this is concerned, you may notice I'm pointedly not talking about it much. Suffice to say, it was a major decision by IP management, and that's the alpha and omega of it.

Personally I think that change is a bunch of crap.. Astartes sounds much better and more 'grown up' than Space Marines...

Well that's probably the reason why... :jaw:

I always preferred "pimpin' space dood" anyway...

Incidentally, looking at that new cover, doesn't the guy on the left look a lot like Mr T....?

Astartes for me, give them their proper name.

Space Marine is stupidly childish, although i am sure many of the Imperial citizens know them as that.

This hobby is getting more and more geared towards children under 10 that can barely read, i am sure it is.

I must agree Astartes is the more credible term and sounds so much better than space marines. It conjures up the image of a warrior to me where as space marine sounds like a bad seventies sci-fi term.

I know it's just product association at the end of the day but I'll be sticking to the old terminology in this case.

they have always been space marines. the 2 titles are equally old and interchangable.

The RT rule book states

"The legiones Astartes is the official title of the warrior organisation more commonly known as the Space marines."

It then goes on to use the term "Space marine" for pretty much the whole portion of the book devoted to them. Even back in 1987 they were meant to be called Space marines.

Darkchild

Astartes for me, give them their proper name.

Space Marine is stupidly childish, although i am sure many of the Imperial citizens know them as that.

This hobby is getting more and more geared towards children under 10 that can barely read, i am sure it is.

I have to agree it definitely does seem like they're starting to dumb it down a bit.

I mean, I don't mind them being called Space Marines, but, I greatly prefer them being called Astartes...It just sounds more badass. So, I'll stick with that term as well as some older fluff.

Presumably they were worried that the books giving the sense that "Space Marine" isn't the proper term created a discOnnect between those very successful books and all the other places in the IP where SM is used - models, codices, video games etc.

Archived