The Outcast Dead

Artein

It's now also mandated that no one is supposed to use "Astartes" as a noun to refer to individual or plural Space Marines. The meaning of it is officially clarified as "of the Stars" in High Gothic (i.e. Adepts of the Stars), so all authors need to use alternate nouns to represent them. That's a little tricky in the HH and in Chaos novels, but it's not exactly fatal.

Note: I just want to be absolutely clear by saying I don't want to be locked into a debate about this. I'm aware of the nuances on both sides of the point, trust me.

So much for that eh?

I would agree that Astartes sounds better, but that dose not mean that these smart-ish people cant come up with terms that are as good or better. Lets give them a chance to wow us before the hate down happens, eh?

I would agree that Astartes sounds better, but that dose not mean that these smart-ish people cant come up with terms that are as good or better. Lets give them a chance to wow us before the hate down happens, eh?

I mustn't be one of those smart-ish people because I haven't a clue on an alternative without completely making something up and being completely unofficially sanctioned. :)

So I assume the Emperor decides to do away with the Codex Astartes and call it Codex of the SPEEEEJS MARINES ?

Nothing we can do, but they'll always be Astartes to me.

edit: Something completely different, but didn't want to make a new topic just for this.

A-D-B: I bought The First Heretic a while ago and noticed that in the front, below the title, it is signed 'Aaron', in the style of the Metallica logo.

Am I special now ? :rolleyes:

edit: Something completely different, but didn't want to make a new topic just for this.

A-D-B: I bought The First Heretic a while ago and noticed that in the front, below the title, it is signed 'Aaron', in the style of the Metallica logo.

Am I special now ? :D

That's how I do my name at signings.

The exception is about 50ish copies of The First Heretic, which I had to pre-sign at Games Day 2010. In a huge rush, I did my more normal squiggly signature, because the MetallicAaron one takes ages.

Am I special now ? ;)

That's how I do my name at signings.

The exception is about 50ish copies of The First Heretic, which I had to pre-sign at Games Day 2010. In a huge rush, I did my more normal squiggly signature, because the MetallicAaron one takes ages.

Ah ok, good to know.

I got in a GW shop though.

Regarding the Astartes thing, I've been using several terms to replace it where I'd naturally say "The Astartes ducked left, and did blah and blah".

1. Night Lord, Grey Knight, Insert Chapter/Legion Name Here.

2. Warrior.

3. The character's name, natch.

4. Legionary or Legionnaire.

Obviously, you could also use "Space Marine", "Marine" or "Battle-brother", if any of those float your boat. They're obviously the most accurate, too.

Apologies for not wanting to discuss this further, yo.

EDIT: Actually, I can't be bothered.

Only winding you up anyway. :D

For the so called "bad boy" of BL you don't act like it! -_-

I'm a kitten, and deserve only the nicest, warmest hugs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived