Raven Guard Shadow Force Ovis :)

Brother_Ovis

Having finished (after a great deal of moaning and lamenting), I mean finished-finished, with bases, transfers, varnishes etc, some of my Raven Guard shadow force, it is time to brag :P

Word of explanation - first of all, I don't use GW squad markings (shoulder pad rims), because I think it totally ruins the RG dark theme - so I just paint them all black. Second of all, as I hate highlighting edges (sooo tedious), I went with a technique I picked up from Forge World display Raven Guardsmen - black surface weathered with thinned Graveyard Earth to bring up the textures. En masse it looks just fine to me and speeds the painting process greatly, so it's a win-win :)

Third of all - these are not Golden Demon minis, just an army to look decent on a gaming table, so no-frills look is by all means intentional.

Chaplain w/jump pack:

gallery_57562_5482_50519.jpg

gallery_57562_5482_69902.jpg

3rd Tactical Squad 5th Company, two combat squads. Special weapon magnetised:

gallery_57562_5482_73143.jpg

gallery_57562_5482_34696.jpg

Drop pod, usually dedicated to the tactical squad:

gallery_57562_5482_13229.jpg

gallery_57562_5482_87265.jpg

In the name of the Emperor, be lenient with your judgement ^_^

If i was to be honest i prefer black with edge highlights i like the sharp look. But thats just my preference.

BUT...... i do have to say i think these are better then tabletop quality and seriously mate really like your detail work.

i dont think anyone can say anything bad about your paintwork.

Really nice work mate would like to see more if your doing them. :)

• 1 month later...

Update - I've painted two more squads, lo and behold :lol: I've given up the highlightless way of painting and sublty highlighted the edges with a mix of Chaos Black and Adeptus Battlegrey followed by a final highlight of Adeptus Battlegrey. It looks good I must say, better than flat black. In reality the highlights are a little more pronounced than on the photos, which came out a little blurry BTW - well, it's cloudy and raining here, no sun all day, what can I do :D

Scouts - I've chosen metal models over plastic ones, as I think they're much better looking when it comes to faces, overall proportions etc. This is a close combat squad, meant to sneak about in LS Storm and blow up enemy tanks in first round :P Sergeant is converted obviously, he's got a plastic power fist and bolt pistol switched from right hand to left with a little use of GS.

gallery_57562_5482_34045.jpg

gallery_57562_5482_67757.jpg

Assault squad - half of it really, as they come in boxes in fives. Had some spare bare heads and decided it would look cool to make them helmetless. My favourite is the guy on the left, it's one of the best faces I've ever painted.

gallery_57562_5482_44614.jpg

gallery_57562_5482_68712.jpg

C&C welcome, although I'm pretty convinced they're perfect ;)

Excellent job on the black. Looks crisp and very pleasing.

How have you found the forgeworld decals? I was considering getting them but have always had bad luck with decals and don't want to waste money on failing with them.

How have you found the forgeworld decals? I was considering getting them but have always had bad luck with decals and don't want to waste money on failing with them.

They are no worse than standard issue GW decals, I've had no trouble whatsoever using them. And the number and variety of them on the sheet is enough for a whole army with some margin for error and experimenting. Definitely worth the price.

My only critique is the lack of true "pale" in terms of skin tone, but other than that.. I hate you... er.. awesome stuff.

The scouts are not pale deliberately, as according to the fluff RG get paler with age. My senior marines are paler in comparison when standing next to them - but I have to agree with you, I have some trouble getting this one right 'pale' hue.

I definitely like the dusty black, I think it looks really good. Sharply highlighting black is just unreal looking and I'm not a big fan of that. The old scout models looks really good and I really agree that that Assault Marine on the left has an amazing face. And the shaven hair you've painted on all your models is also just, really really cool.

@Worrywort

If you mean veteran RG upgrade pack - yes I have it, I've made sternguards with it, but they're far down the painting line ^_^ I used some of the parts in my second tactical, but it's hovering somewhere near the sternguards painting-wise B)

@GooseDaMoose

The shaven heads - yeah, I thought "Why actually all the bare-headed marines have to be bald?" Of course, they're testosterone-packing guys, but come on ;)

I didn't think it was possible, but with that subtle highlighting method these guys look even darker and more menacing than my Raven Guard, impressive :P

Archived