Raven Guard Shadow Force Ovis :)

Brother_Ovis

Another model done. A Raven Guard Contemptor dreadnought. Both weapons magnetized, CCWs with heavy flamer and plasma blaster. This thing is a beast, I use him with a Lucius pattern drop pod and every time it elicits a loud AW COME ON!!! from my opponents. Apart from being a close combat monster, he is almost indestructible - he's known to endure 2 or 3 turns of lance fire and come out unscathed.

gallery_57562_5482_20723.jpg

gallery_57562_5482_17478.jpg

Lovely looking model Ovis, lovely :tu:

The weathered white is terrific, and the scuffed markings are great too. With that aura of restrained violence within the pose and model, it's almost enough to make me add a Contemptor to my RG force...but FW already have all my money, so it may have to wait...

I'm blushing :) Thank you guys, honestly praise like this gets me going through the long and lonesome nights over endless tides of black PAs when the only conscious thought is "If I was painting Orks, I could just wash them all in Thraka Green and be done with it" :)

An army shot is not a bad idea; I've almost finished my winter gaming table so I'll probably get to it soon and do something like the GW 'armies on parade' thing. I have several more things to paint though and I want them all done and ready before such final measures :)

Yes, I am sponging a lot:) I use Charadon Granite on all lighter colours and boltgun metal (you will all be missed!) on black, as the ChG is not very visible on it. I also use FW weathering powders, though not much - here I used it mainly because I was applying rust powder on the length of pipe on the base (not very visible on the photos) and I managed to cover everything around with it, so I had to mask it somehow, hence the dusty feet. Usually though I use Graveyard Earth wash applied in multiple thin layers for weathering, especially on infantry models (tanks etc is another story).

The brownish discolourations on the white parts is an oil burnt umber paint thinned with white spirit. It's a modelling trick taken from IA: Model Masterclass and it works beautifully - oil wash gives instant tonal gradients without ANY tidemarks, and can be moved around and blended with a brush even after several minutes (in fact, even better after several minutes). It is really easy to blend and you can do everything with it from rusty spots to brownish discolourations.

I am in fact considering incorporating oil paints to my regular painting palette, to try blended highlights with it.

Nice words. Congratulation. Witticism. Hint of jealousy. Pretence at constructive criticism. Resolve to do more hobby stuff. More congratulation.

That Caestus came off jolly well didn't it?

Nice words. Congratulation. Witticism. Hint of jealousy. Pretence at constructive criticism. Resolve to do more hobby stuff. More congratulation.

That Caestus came off jolly well didn't it?

Were we on Facebook, I'd Like It :lol:

Archived