Picking a super-heavy

Plague Angel

Hello, brothers! Some of my friends have been bitten by the Apocalypse bug, and they're asking me to join them. Now, I'm generally more fond of smaller games, and every Apocalypse game I've seen just looks frustrating. My personal opinion is that, at those point values, everything gets so big and huge that armies lose their flavor and everything looks the same. On the other hand, these are my friends asking me and we've always supported each others' habits before.

So I'm thinking, I will probably ask for a super-heavy tank for Xmas. Then if I get it, I can bring something to the table in their games, maybe play around with the idea of Spearhead, and if nothing else comes of it I'll at least have a great model. I'm just wondering which one to get, that would feel the most Sanguine. I'm thinking that the Stormlord kind of reminds me of the same philosophy behind things like the Baal Pred, i.e. get in fast and pound it with lots of shots, in comparison to other tanks that sit back and fire. The Banehammer is neat too though, and people are telling me I should consider the Shadowsword for its Str D weapon.

Thoughts?

I'm not familiar with any of the super heavies

Well a good number have their stats right on GW's site, so I think it's okay to say:

the one I'm considering has a STR6 AP3 Heavy 15 mega-bolter that can fire twice in a turn if the tank didn't move. In addition to other lascannons/heavy bolters/etc.

The stormlord sounds good for bloodangels. Alright it's not the most powerful weapon in the arsenal but fluff wise it fits. And it's good fun as a transport too. I used the shadowsword when I bought mine mainly because I knew I would be up against titans. If your not though then the stormlord will be just fine agains large squads or even heavy Inf.

Go with the stormlord if thats what you want..... just dont move and fire it at marines, see how your opponent reacts when you pick up 30 dice!

So far as transport or anything goes, they're a bit to slow for my geneseed to cope with but usefull if youve a hammer squad you definately want to get into the thick of things. With Super Heavies my rule of thum is go with what you think the coolest tank is. That way you'll enjoy your apocolypse games more!

Well I think all 3 I mentioned are awesome. I think the Banehammer's special rule, with its gun creating a shockwave zone, is real neato. It's not that I think the Stormlord is cooler, it just seems to kinda "fit" more, you know? But maybe it has a flaw I'm not seeing. This isn't really my area of expertise, after all.

Another thing to consider is you could make your Super Heavy like an individual. Dont make it a stormlord make it 'Baal's Hammer' armed with an Archeo-Tech Assault cannon or something. You know have some fun with it. Tweak the rules around alittle bit just try and stay alittle bit below what a stormlord could manage on an average turn or say make it Identical to a storm lord just with different reasoning! Apocalypse is supposed to be about fun stuff like that. Building your own cool rules for giant death machines. So roll with it.

I would go with a baneblade as it is the best all rounder super heavy tank. It fires a lot big templates which is very nice IMHO. Also you could paint it red and use it as a "fellblade", which is the baneblade variant used by the astartes legions pre-heresy. It is said that some of the chapters still possess such relics. I find it very probable that we have a few of these big guns in the armories of Baal. They made a data sheet for fellblades on Bols, it is basically the same rules and options as a baneblade but its 100 pts more expensive and in BS4 since it is operated by marines :)

Was gonna post about the BA superheavy on BoLS but Kurb beat me too it.

Wonder if we can deepstrike that... :)

We should totallt be able to and whatever it lands on (excepting a titan or anther superheavy) should be destroyed ;)

Im thinking of using a superheavy myself. If your not into converting abig project like the one from BoLS, then I'd suggest the Stormlord for its transport/assault capability. It'd look cool with two marines on the deck firing hvy weapons, while 40 assault marines (minus jump packs) scream out of it.

If you have to choose between the GW produced super heavies than I'd go for the Hellhammer, it may not have the range of the Baneblade but with TLOS these days theres a lot of cover on Apoc tables anymore. Negating those saves with a S10 AP 1 boom stick is always a good thing. But if you have the option I would see if I could just get some cash or visa gift cards to spend on supplies for a scratch built thunder hawk. That would be particularly Blood Angels. I made one up a few years ago and I love the thing in game. Nothing funnier than watching you opponent send most of their army's worth of fire power into something and have it still be there the following turn. If you're interested I can give you all the info on how I built mine as well as pics.

-Samirus

Where are the rules and/or model for the stormlord? thanks!

Here's the model, no rules sorry ^_^

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...dId=prod1860243

Cool thanks, but there is really no rules for this thing anyway? ...not in an Apoc book or even FW-Imperial Armour perhaps?

Where are the rules and/or model for the stormlord? thanks!

Here's the model, no rules sorry ^_^

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...dId=prod1860243

Cool thanks, but there is really no rules for this thing anyway? ...not in an Apoc book or even FW-Imperial Armour perhaps?

I believe the Stormlord is in the ImpArm dealing with the Imperial Guard, #1 as I recall, though I don't have my copy with me at work.

And don't forget that Dreadnoughts equal 10 models of Transport Capacity. And that the SH's count as Open Topped for dismounting. There's very little as amusing as watching someones face when a DC Furioso or two hop out of the back. ;)

Ahhhh, Apocalypse. Where silly is an art form. :D

Archived