Picking a super-heavy

Plague Angel

I realize the apoc rules are somewhat loose... and you can join allies and such, but that tank (the stormlord) is listed as an Imperial Guard (not Imperium) datasheet.

I'd saw, technically, we cannot even use it at all, let alone transport our troops in it.

somewhat loose is an understatement.

the BA don't have blades or its variants, nor do they have titans, they would have thunderhawks. but in a big engagement it wouldn't be beyond them to tell some IG commander to bring one over for support. so it probably wouldn't be a BA superheavy, though nothing saying it can't be red. and if the plan is to board a superheavy to charge down a bunker, i'm sure the BA aren't going to refuse to get in... otherwise why tell what the Dread transport size is:) of course you can do whatever you want with your tanks, so if you want it to be BA then do it.

I realize the apoc rules are somewhat loose... and you can join allies and such, but that tank (the stormlord) is listed as an Imperial Guard (not Imperium) datasheet.

I'd saw, technically, we cannot even use it at all, let alone transport our troops in it.

I was considering painting it in Guard colors, with some sort of badge representing an alliance on the side, for just that reason. But I think I can get away with painting it red, as well.

Furiosos jumping out of the tank sounds fun. Maybe a priest, to give a huge FNP/FC bubble around it? One of the Furiosos can be a libby to cast SOS, freeing up room. I like that idea.

And my heavens, the Sanctimonia of Cruor is beautiful.

I have a warhound, shadowsword and baneblade, which I painted in blue and grey camo with red accents, and I'm working on flags & heraldry to show they are on assignment with my Blood Angels. The red accents help make them look more like they belong with the army, while still being individual enough to stand out amongst the sea of red.

Fluff wise, I prefer to think that the AdMech controls all of the big toys instead of the current trend of IG seemingly having access to all of them, so I have techmarines manning the guns on my super heavies.

So, personally I recommend going with non-BA colors, but it's ultimately up to you.

All I can say on the subject is watch out when those thing explode.

Played a 40,000 points per side game yesterday. Turn one shooting phase, two of our Super-Heavy/Titan's exploded in the worst possible way. I lost a Vindicator, Land Raider, two Razorbacks, and a Devastator Squad immediately. Everything within 30" evaporated that wasn't inside a bunker or a transport... including the other terrain. I'm pretty sure it was a home-grown Ork Super-heavy. I had to switch to the evil team since we were pretty Imperial heavy.

When the Titan blew up, the Tyranid player lost everything except 3 Mawlocs and 90 Gaunts, which were in reserve. Needless to say, that was a disheartening turn one for our side! We ended up in a draw though. Out of my 4k points, I had 5 Assault Marines without jump packs, and 7 Assault Marines with Jump packs left at the end of the game.. and I held an objective!

I've always been of the opinion that marines dont really do any of the superheavy tanks very well. Their fighting style doesn't really fit, so I'd say go for something like the linebreaker squadron or perhaps the land raider terminus, if you really want a super heavy and the budget isn't a problem then the Thunderhawk or a titan that could be enlisted support fit easier than a single IG tank.

I've always been of the opinion that marines dont really do any of the superheavy tanks very well. Their fighting style doesn't really fit, so I'd say go for something like the linebreaker squadron or perhaps the land raider terminus, if you really want a super heavy and the budget isn't a problem then the Thunderhawk or a titan that could be enlisted support fit easier than a single IG tank.

Unfortunately the budget is a problem in my case. I'd love a Thunderhawk, but it's unlikely any time soon. I suppose 3 Vindicators is comparable in price to one Stormlord, though.

I have played a game where a stormlord has been used by an ultrmarines army. It works brilliantly.

if you have your heart set on a superheavy then get one. Don't let someone else talk you out of it. It does state in the rule book that as long as you can explain it you can use it.

The rules for stormlord are in apocalypse reload book by GW btw.

Unfortunately the budget is a problem in my case. I'd love a Thunderhawk, but it's unlikely any time soon. I suppose 3 Vindicators is comparable in price to one Stormlord, though.

completely understandable mate, just expressing my idea is all. another apoc style thing for marines that i like to take instead of a super heavy is to run a battle company, does well on the table and fits the idea quite nicely, though i modify mine so its 4 tac and 4 ras with 2 devs. if you have laid back opponents swap out the rhinos for drop pods and take some of the forgeworld deathstorm pods, they are nasty thats for sure.

Scratch build it... If you like a challenge ;) I've seen a few done and they've all looked good. It will take some time and planning (although you might be able to find a template) but you could make a few for the price of one baneblade and when you've scratch built a thunderhawk that looks awesome you feel so much better than just building a baneblade kit. Hell someone did a little project where they built a warhound titan from a template in a day (it looked pretty good from what I could see) and posted the project log up on warseer.

As for the Stormlord from my experiance the Vulcan Megabolter isn't worth it even if it fires twice. Baneblades are pretty neat but SD is also great as you will nuke infantry (except those with a good invulnerable save) and tanks (a waste on light vehicles but great for heavy ones) and as far as I'm aware you can't half SD so it is always SD even if you don't hit a vehicle with the hole of the template.

completely understandable mate, just expressing my idea is all.

And thanks for that. You're not the first person to say "get a Thunderhawk instead" to me, though, and some people were far less polite about it. Apologies if I seem testy about them.

another apoc style thing for marines that i like to take instead of a super heavy is to run a battle company, does well on the table and fits the idea quite nicely, though i modify mine so its 4 tac and 4 ras with 2 devs. if you have laid back opponents swap out the rhinos for drop pods and take some of the forgeworld deathstorm pods, they are nasty thats for sure.

Man, a full company would be sweet, and also far far more practical from an army-building perspective. But part of the reason for thinking about the super-heavy is 1) I'd like a cool, impressive center-piece single model, which I don't really have yet and 2) I have lots of Marines I have been ridiculously lazy about painting, once they're built; I don't want to add more boots to their numbers quite yet.

Painting marines, of course, is up to my own time and scheduling; Xmas wishlists are a different matter.

Go for a blade of some kind, it's appoc, nothign wrong with bringing some big guns, even if it's just a vulcan, you can lay out lots of orks with that thing... (I have a regualr blade waiting to be done just to have something for my opponents supers to attack instead of my troops:))

WIth troubles being lazy painting, pic the model that looks the best to you, then you might actualy paint it up, then figure out how it fits int he army

:lol:

Make that thing I posted.

No way that could underwhelm. LoL

Haha.

But yeah, to be specific, his problem with it is:

-relatively low strength gun, so you can still roll poorly and not kill anything

-the gun works best when the tank is stationary, and yet it has the most transport capability out of any super-heavy. This feels counter-productive to him, as you have to give up your transport capability to use the gun to its fullest, but give up the gun to use the transport capability to its fullest.

This makes a lot of sense to me. But he's still saying "If you think the Stormlord looks coolest, go for it."

Hello, brothers! Some of my friends have been bitten by the Apocalypse bug, and they're asking me to join them. Now, I'm generally more fond of smaller games, and every Apocalypse game I've seen just looks frustrating. My personal opinion is that, at those point values, everything gets so big and huge that armies lose their flavor and everything looks the same. On the other hand, these are my friends asking me and we've always supported each others' habits before.

So I'm thinking, I will probably ask for a super-heavy tank for Xmas. Then if I get it, I can bring something to the table in their games, maybe play around with the idea of Spearhead, and if nothing else comes of it I'll at least have a great model. I'm just wondering which one to get, that would feel the most Sanguine. I'm thinking that the Stormlord kind of reminds me of the same philosophy behind things like the Baal Pred, i.e. get in fast and pound it with lots of shots, in comparison to other tanks that sit back and fire. The Banehammer is neat too though, and people are telling me I should consider the Shadowsword for its Str D weapon.

Thoughts?

Id say Shadowsword, upgrade to BS 4 with the targetters, and call it a Fellblade- as a first founding chapter the BA likely have a few.

Though their are other options:

Use your imagination! The BA Fellblades could take any number of variations.... from stormlord to shadowsword to custom job. Its apocalypse, not a tournament- so talk to your friends and figure something out.

Shrugging your shoulders and going "thats to bad we cant do that" is a horrible way to get things done.

Use your imagination! The BA Fellblades could take any number of variations.... from stormlord to shadowsword to custom job. Its apocalypse, not a tournament- so talk to your friends and figure something out.

Shrugging your shoulders and going "thats to bad we cant do that" is a horrible way to get things done.

Yeah no I get that... but guys were talking about disembarking 4 dreadnoughts from it etc... hah. I mean seriously... at some point there needs to be a reality check. If not, you might as well take an Ork Stompa or a Heirophant with your Blood Angels because hey it's apocalypse, not a tournament... it all sounds fun and awesome when you are the one using it... but I can image most players, on the receiving end, feeling very cheesed when a bunch of Blood Angels pour out of an IG tank, let alone 4 dreadnoughts.

This is my Blood Angels super heavy choice. I agree that none of the regular superheavies generally fit the BA style so I scratch built this bird. It probably wound up costing me about 150 USD when it was all said and done. I've still got the engine bits to make another one if you would be interested.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e106/CommanderSamirus/Blood%20Angels%20Third%20Company/5-1-08001.jpg

-Samirus

Archived