BA upcoming HH novel name confirmed.

ANCIENT FALOR

Im really excited about this. Just wanted to share it with the BA.

JMSwallow Posted: Jan 11 2011, 11:23 AM

QUOTE ( Anient Falor @ Jan 8 2011, 05:09 AM)

Fear to Tread! Next Year. Thats awesome we have a name for the Signus novel and time for it. Is it going to be two parts? I hope we get a cool dreadnought in there. Like Ancient Rylanor the dreadnought that died on isstivan. good luck on writting it.

"Next year" is just my estimate, though. Don't consider it as cast in stone until the book is officially announced.

I'm not planning on it being a duology, just one chunky volume.

I'm not sure about Dreadnought characters in this story; maybe, we'll see.

Also, what makes you think Rylanor is dead?

I'm reading Nemesis right now and it's quite good. I haven't read the other BA novels, because noone seems happy with them.

Guess I'd rather see Graham McNeil writing our book, but they have their separate chapters to write about, so we'll just have to pray to the Emperor that the book will come out fine.

And:

I'm just glad BL are getting round to it :). Wooo!

Malatox

+1

I read the BA omnibus and honestly dont understand why everyone hates it or Swallow.

Me either I thought the books were really good. Very engaging story.

I'm reading Black Tide now and I've liked all of the books. I don't understand why people hate them either...

I read the BA omnibus and honestly dont understand why everyone hates it or Swallow.

Me either I thought the books were really good. Very engaging story.

Not sure if the forum has rules against 'this discussion' ...but I'll tell you why lots of us really dislike the Swallow version of BA as kindly as possible.

First, simply as a writer I think he completely lacks subtlety and flow... he is the 'Tango and Cash' to Abnett's 'Pulp Fiction' if you catch my drift. The opening paragraph of book-2 is probably the worst book opening I've ever read, in any genre. But the reason most other folks dislike the Swallow BA is due to his treatment of our chapter.

He took the oldest, and one of the most loyal chapters in existence and made them into bumbling fools, dooped by the laziest chaos trick (twice!) and had them nearly descending into chaos over one mutant. Was that really the first time they've come up against chaos trickery?!? ...further the 'oldest' chapter again, is lead by these ego driven youngsters. I could go on, but I am starting to get the blood rage haha... Having followed BA from the start, I was appalled at what he did, bottom line.

With my Eye of Sanguinius, I foresee a bad future for this thread.

Before we start ranting too much, I'll just say: this will make or break Swallow for me. I don't hate his Blood Angels work like some others do, but I'm not very fond of it either. He could turn this around if it's as good as the other HH stuff, or make me lose interest in him altogether if it's the same level of his other BA novels.

I don't regret buying Heart of Rage, though.

Most people are upset about how easily manipulated the BAs are in his novels. They act like they have zero ability to analyze a situation and make proper descisions. They dote on Inquisitors and give them FAR more authority then they actually have. And he had BAs killing BAs. Then you have Bile actually infiltrating Baal. There were just a lot of schenanigans most people were not fond of. Its not so much his actual writing as his general veiw of his subject matter. At least that is what I gleamed from all the negative posts. Personally I am not a fan of his work either, I just find it shows the BAs to be very ignorant for a founding Legion, with no real respect for their own traditions and chain of command.

Personally I hate swallow's BA books. However I really liked flight, so much so that when I went for a corrupted angel force it was one of the reasons i choose nurgle and a deathguard list. I also don't think that faith and fire was that bad, certainly no worse than inquistion war in regards to whacky background.

Basically if he writes like flight then im all for it, BUT! if this book becomes nothing more than justification for the abhorent fluff butchering that occurs in the omnibus then ill be burning a copy. Im looking at you spear of telesto.

IMO I thought the omnibus a touch dull, red fury brought me around, and black tide was really good. Also Swallow did an okay job at Flight of the Eisenstien so I wouldnt mind him writing another HH novel, especialy a BA one

I haven't read BA omnibus, but I was very impressed by 'The Flight of the Eisenstein' (it is actually one of my favorite HH novels). And while I'm reading 'Nemesis', I also like it pretty much. Judging by Mr. Swallow's HH novels, I expect him to write a decent book that will be interesting and exciting to read.

Anyway, I like the fact that at least we will get the HH novel dedicated to Blood Angels, the novel I've been anticipating for so long.

Apologies if I'm just being blind but what's the HH BA novel's title going to be? The thread name says we know the title now.

We'll see what Mr. Swallow does with it on his fifth try with Blood Angels. I wasn't happy with how the plot in his BA books went so far but the only thing that really got to me in every single book was how he just ignored and changed lots of small details we know about our chapter, for no apparent reason. Tactical heavy weapon troopers have red helmets, not blue. Scouts snipers have sniper rifles, not "Zaitsev pattern long bolters" or whatever he came up with after watching Enemy at the Gates. Our chapter mysteriously lost more heavy armour in the first two books than it has available.

Stuff like that is unneccessary and takes me right out of the story and into thoughts about how that doesn't fit with what I know from before.

Edit: speeling.

if i read so much as a single line about that god awfull spear :tu: the book will be put to the torch!

The Spear of Telesto is supposedly a weapon Sanguinius used during the Great Crusade. Since I don't think Swallow's quite ready to disown his own work, I wouldn't be surprised if he mentions it.

...so the second two books are better eh? It seems like opinions about him have shifted since the last time he came up.

Remember, your Blood Angels may differ....

Neither like nor dislike Swallow. Have read the BA books for completeness. Most BL is pretty pedestrian stuff - C.S.Goto's Dawn of War by numbers being the rankest I have read. As some-one said, the great peaks of Dan Abnett do make these look quite feeble.

But, at the risk of boring repitition - over 10,000 years and with senior marines into their second millennia of life, these sort of lame plots would never work. The senior characters seem so unlike the way they are presented in the codexes and the way we experience them in the game that it is hard to accept the picture Swallow paints. It is bad enough when (spoiler) giant trenchcoat clad mysterious medical Scientist 'Babius File' arrives unchallenged on Baal, but when he is un-masked ('and i would have gotten away with it if wasn't for you meddling kids'), Dante and Mephiston are too busy holding a dull meeting to deal with him and send a sergeant! If their tendency to appear in 1,500 point games is anything to go by, I'm sure they would say 'meeting ajourned' and be straight into their power armour. Seth is at the dull meeting too!

Rafen is a good character though, and the last book, for all its wierd setting (sky loving artistic marines in a submarine fighting 'Aliens meets Jaws'?) is exciting.

Only book iv read (or shall i say listened to) is Heart of Rage, which i liked a lot. I think the book will be good, and it must be good to a degree, otherwise it wouldnt be published in the first place. Its not like GW are gonna let him release a rubbish version, when they could get someone else to do it.

Also the way your all making it sound, the BA are not the greatest chapter their is (i am a BA player, and find them the most interesting), no chapter is superior (unless ya Ultramarines and GW).

Just wait for the book and read it, if ya like it then ya like it, ya dont ya dont, im sure others out their will like/love/dissaprove/hate it.

B)

Archived